closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV picture keeps going off!

TV picture keeps going off!

We had a change around of bedrooms a couple of weeks ago and our bedroom TV no longer works properly!

The Aeriel is external roof mounted with a cable coming through the bedroom ceiling, it'll be an analogue aerial.

The picture is very good and clear but drops out to black screen every four or five seconds and I can't get it to stop. I've done a re-install but it's still doing it.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We had a change around of bedrooms a couple of weeks ago and our bedroom TV no longer works properly!

The Aeriel is external roof mounted with a cable coming through the bedroom ceiling, it'll be an analogue aerial.

The picture is very good and clear but drops out to black screen every four or five seconds and I can't get it to stop. I've done a re-install but it's still doing it.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
    If you could confirm that the TV does this from every source, or just the off air tuner. If it is just the tuner, you have poor signal quality on your incoming signal. It could be that one or more of the connections are made poorly, that the lead in cable is too long or damaged, or some other fault. There is likely to be a signal strength indicator built into your set, as part of the tuning and setup procedure. It might be helpful in finding the trouble.

Digital TV signals do not work like analog ones did, where the picture gets worse and worse until its unwatchable. Digital TV looks just great, until it doesn't, breaks up, and drops out. A borderline signal will drop out, and come back up, over and over again. Often with periods of broken up, pixelated frames in between.

Had something similar with the TV in my sons room, for him it turned out to be a badly made joint on the aerial plug going into the back of the TV. His TV has a signal meter and could see that going up and down and tried readjusting the aerial in the loft as well before I discover the dodgy plug.

^^^ most likely this. Just takes a strand of copper to touch the centre core.

Grand Master
    I had a similar problem with a fairly long co-axial cable run. Ended up replacing with the best quality cable I could find, and remaking the joints very carefully. That fixed it.

Paul

Thanks all, the cable is long and quite old so I'll check all connections and if it doesn't improve I'll replace it.

Is the TV coming up with "no signal". If so most likely the ariel lead, socket as mentioned above.

If not and the you are simply losing the picture, then it most likely an intermittent fault in the TV Tuner.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche