closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How to match watches to your outfit..."

"How to match watches to your outfit..."

Courtesy of Gentleman's Gazette

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/how-match-watches-your-outfit/?utm_campaign=broadcast-watches-timepieces&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-broadcast&utm_content=how-match-watches-your-outfit&utm_term=existing-list

DON’T wear anything other than a dress watch with black tie. We know, James Bond wears an Omega dive watch, but he’s a spy who may, in fact, get wet wearing a tuxedo.
    Yes, well, quite. I mean who would...

Black ties are for funerals only.

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    Really?

I wouldn't wear a tuxedo to a funeral.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Nothing else?
    Bit chilly for that.

Master
    Forgive me for not giving a damn about what someone else tells me I ought to be wearing. If I want to wear an orange monster with my suit, I'll go right ahead and do so :) Especially if it means I don't end up looking like this *expletive*

Utterly ridiculous.

So it's wrong to wear a dive/sports watch - including Omega Speedmasters or Rolex Subs - with a business suit (thus suggesting that 50% of people in the City have got it wrong), and yet according to the photo halfway down the article it's 'stylish' to wear a dark business suit with the trousers too short, brown shoes and a bowtie... Words fail me.

I'm with hafle - I'll wear what I damn well please...

Simon

Hafle,
    Agree with your sentiment.
    But, no one should wear an orange monster. Ever. With or without clothes.
    BTW, the pic shows how ridiculous the concept of a 'dress watch' is.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 10th December 2016 at 20:07.

I've always matched my watch to my activity and the company I'll be keeping, without a thought to my 'outfit'.

So that's where I've been going wrong.

Ideally, a man would want to have five to seven watches in his base collection.

Ah, that's where I've been going wrong

TBF Mr Snieder does put quite a lot of effort into his columns.

His advice on gloves is regarded by those in the know as seminal. (I'm told).

As someone in the scruffy bugger category myself, I aim for my watch choice to distract the critical observer...

(still waiting for that to work, really)

Re:
    His advice on gloves is regarded by those in the know as seminal. (I'm told).

A lot of people like him have seminal fluid on their gloves:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 10th December 2016 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

A lot of people like him have seminal fluid in their gloves:-)
    Or possibly a sock.

So wearing my Seadweller to a black tie event last night was wrong?
    Didn't feel wrong, felt very right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I don't care enough about fashion to pay attention to that article.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    So wearing my Seadweller to a black tie event last night was wrong?
    Didn't feel wrong, felt very right!

+1. Any other of my watches would feel wrong.

Martyn

I've never worn a tuxedo so i guess i can safely wear any watch i like at any time?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

As an English gentleman, I too have never worn a Tuxedo; I have, however, worn a dinner jacket - but never at the same time as wearing a diving watch. To do so would be as appropriate (nb. this is the key word) as wearing white towelling socks or a red spotted bowtie, although apparently some people think that is acceptable too, as for them it 'feels right', and nobody tells them what 'they ought to be wearing'.

Master
    I think the 'dress watch with jacket' rule is officially dead or at least very bendable, though it's a good excuse for an extra watch and will look good. And no one 'needs' a pocket watch, unless they particularly enjoy them.

This though I like:

"DON’T consider a smart watch a “watch”. It’s not – it’s an extension of your phone that you wear on your wrist, and we have yet to see a smart watch that is slim and stylish enough to be considered a true wardrobe accessory. In fact, smart watches (aside from being generally unattractive) only enhance the social problems created by cell phones. As a constant presence on your wrist, they are a distraction that is more likely to make you look rude than attentive to your work. If you must wear one, avoid checking it during in-person interactions. Leave it at home for social occasions as nothing says “I’m not interested in you” more than someone checking an email mid-conversation at 8pm on a Saturday."

Blog Entries
    Just more first world "sphericals" aimed at those with to much time on their hands

BTW i wear a non date sub with my dinner suit

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just more first world "sphericals" aimed at those with to much time on their hands

BTW i wear a non date sub with my dinner suit
    You utter madman!

M

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    As an English gentleman, I too have never worn a Tuxedo; I have, however, worn a dinner jacket - but never at the same time as wearing a diving watch. To do so would be as appropriate (nb. this is the key word) as wearing white towelling socks or a red spotted bowtie, although apparently some people think that is acceptable too, as for them it 'feels right', and nobody tells them what 'they ought to be wearing'.
    Good point - on reflection I did ONCE wear a dinner jacket to a film premiere.

No idea which watch I wore...

M

I have a suit and a dive watch, would never put them together though.

As an English gentleman, I too have never worn a Tuxedo; I have, however, worn a dinner jacket - but never at the same time as wearing a diving watch. IMO,To do so would be as appropriate (nb. this is the key word) as wearing white towelling socks or a red spotted bowtie, although apparently some people think that is acceptable too, as for them it 'feels right', and nobody tells them what 'they ought to be wearing'.
    Ha. Edited that for you.
    A Sub or an SD can easily worn with a business suit or a tuxedo or a dinner jacket without looking out of place.
    May be in 19th century it would look inappropriate- a time where some people seem to be stuck.
    A big, gold diamond encrusted monstrosity is a different matter. The whole idea of a dress watch is so yesteryear.
    A 34 mm gold watch is as out of place as a monocle or a man wearing sheer stockings under the trousers,today.
    Again,strictly an opinion

I do often try and match the watch to what I am wearing or doing. Haven't worn my Submariner with a Dinner Jacket, as if I decide not to wear a "dress watch" with a DJ I prefer to wear my 114270.

All of my watches are dress ones, I dont own a dinner jacket though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is all about social conventions and how one looks at those.

I find it most amusing that many on here slag the convention yet in their effort mention wearing a Veblen watch and thus simply confirm adhering to a different social convention.

A dress watch, relative to other watches, is usually smaller with a rectangular or round shaped dial. The dial will be very simplistic with a plain white, cream, gray or even black face.
    The dial will *not* be simplistic.

It may be simple. It may even be elegant, if you get the right one. But I can guarantee you it won't be simplistic.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    All of my watches are dress ones, I dont own a dinner jacket though.
    Last 'black tie suggested' diner invitation I decided to accept, I chose to ignore the suggestion and I wore no tie, a suede jacket over a purple shirt and sported a 34 mm. 18k three hander on tan leather.

Now imo the proof of the outfit is in the dancing:
    Since I was one of very few who could dance and one of even fewer holding that up for longer than half a song, had no shortage of dance partners

Craftsman
    This article is almost complete BS. I have only dive watches (well almost) and I wear a suit to work every day. So what, an SD or a Breitling SOP are not good with a suit? The guy who wrote the article should go in the City, Canary Wharf, or Mayfair and tell this to 50% of the people working there. I wear what I like, and I don't care about what some fashion "gurus" are saying.

However I do completely agree with the part where it says that a smartwatch is not a watch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hilarious. Effected and living in another world. Tie bar and collar bar are about the worst dress code mistakes you can make anywhere except the US. Forget what the watch does!

I'll stick happily to wearing my pocket watch and speedos thank you very much.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Really?

I wouldn't wear a tuxedo to a funeral.
    If you are intending to tap dance on the grave I find it really adds to the spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Last 'black tie suggested' diner invitation I decided to accept, I chose to ignore the suggestion and I wore no tie, a suede jacket over a purple shirt and sported a 34 mm. 18k three hander on tan leather.

Now imo the proof of the outfit is in the dancing:
    Since I was one of very few who could dance and one of even fewer holding that up for longer than half a song, had no shortage of dance partners
    Wow,what a rockstar!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow,what a rockstar!
    Pure rock and roll...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've eliminated the problem of not being able to find the elusive matching sock by wearing the first 2 socks that i pull out of my sock drawer. It doesn't bother me that i'm wearing odd socks most of the time. Similarly i don't give any thought to matching my watch to my outfit. That would hardly be possible in any case because i've got lots of nice watches but no nice clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    If you are intending to tap dance on the grave I find it really adds to the spectacle.
    yes the joke is on me and you're welcome, I had no idea "black tie" is a evening dress code.

Banned
    Wear what you like and be happy I say.

He's welcome to his opinion, as is anyone else, though I CBA to read the article. I've no issue in admitting that I match my watch to what I'm wearing and what I'm doing, I don't feel the need to compare my opinion to that of an "expert".

I think that one should only wear a "diver" (whatever make) with a wet-suit or trunks and a "dress watch"
    with a dress. (Usually Friday nights when I'm known as Mary).

What a load of tosh! Just wear what the hell you like. If peeps mark you down because you wearing the "Wrong" watch, that says more about them than you.

K.

Master
    I've worked a bit around Canary Wharf and currently around St James. Wearing a piddling dress watch around Canary Wharf (if anybody actually cared) would be out of place as it was Planet Oceans, Seamasters, Royal Oaks, Subs, Breitling, Tag.
    Knocking around St James (again if anybody actually cares) I spot the odd young fella with Breguets and maybe heirloom dress watches along with a signet ring. They are probably in hedge funds I'd guess.
    If you really are trying to send out signals and social climb I suppose a watch adds a certain subtle signal. I basically don't give a monkeys and wear anything from Orange Monsters, Connies to Seamasters but then I suppose I'm unfortunately not working in funds.
    The fella pictured with the polo neck jumper looks a complete (fill in expletives).. Btw. Typical look at me, look at me type.

Master
    yes the joke is on me and you're welcome, I had no idea "black tie" is a evening dress code.
    I thought the same for a long time, I'm sure everyone has at some point, it's a very misleading term. I found out the first time I went to an awards ceremony wearing, you guessed it, a black tie.

I think I'm right in saying that officially speaking, no watch at all should be worn with evening dress, it's rude to even suggest you'd care what time it is and have anywhere else you might need to be during the evening. Even adding a small dress watch is bending the 'rules' as much as wearing a suit jacket with a sports watch - another misleading term, but for better or worse it's what they're called, in spite of the author's possibly useful attempt to reclassify sports and 'casual' watches.

As far as I'm concerned, if anyone wants to tell me that an Oysterquartz, a first gen (ultrathin style) Overseas, or one of the slimmer Royal Oaks doesn't go with a jacket, they need an eye test. The author of the article suggests that 007 pairs a jacket and Aqua Terra or even diving watch mainly to sell watches, but can anyone say (particularly in the case of the 38.5mm AT) that he doesn't also make it look good? And that, in the end, is the only rule you'll ever need.

Master
    How funny. I left a reply saying that I thought his opinion was a load of tosh, in a very polite and justified manner, and it's not there

On the rare occasions I'm persuaded to venture out in my dinner jacket, the incongruity of my wristwatch is the least thing causing me discomfort.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 13th December 2016 at 12:26.

Master

"Why don't you tell me one more time how to match my watch to my outfit?"

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to Dine."
    Last edited by forpetesake; 13th December 2016 at 18:10.

What a load of old twaddle; if he thinks a Milgauss looks like a Sub then perhaps he really shouldn't be writing about watches at all. The empty space between his head manifests itself further down when he starts to confuse a date with a formal occasion and I'd also like to be present to watch his head explode should he ever be asked to write about Reversos in the context of sports watches. I wear a pocket watch most days but find what he has to say about them ridiculous.

What a twunt.

Someone saw a "gentlemen's style guide" and paid attention to it?? Hilarious.

Rolex seem to have a different view to the author:
    https://instagram.com/p/BOKXGWfhysI/

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    This article is almost complete BS. I have only dive watches (well almost) and I wear a suit to work every day. So what, an SD or a Breitling SOP are not good with a suit? The guy who wrote the article should go in the City, Canary Wharf, or Mayfair and tell this to 50% of the people working there. I wear what I like, and I don't care about what some fashion "gurus" are saying.

However I do completely agree with the part where it says that a smartwatch is not a watch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    50% of the people don't have a clue I guess

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to Dine."
    Post of 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by dlhussain View Post
    50% of the people don't have a clue I guess
    In London, it seems only about 8% of people have a clue!

M.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I've worked a bit around Canary Wharf and currently around St James. Wearing a piddling dress watch around Canary Wharf (if anybody actually cared) would be out of place as it was Planet Oceans, Seamasters, Royal Oaks, Subs, Breitling, Tag.
    Knocking around St James (again if anybody actually cares) I spot the odd young fella with Breguets and maybe heirloom dress watches along with a signet ring. They are probably in hedge funds I'd guess.
    If you really are trying to send out signals and social climb I suppose a watch adds a certain subtle signal. I basically don't give a monkeys and wear anything from Orange Monsters, Connies to Seamasters but then I suppose I'm unfortunately not working in funds.
    The fella pictured with the polo neck jumper looks a complete (fill in expletives).. Btw. Typical look at me, look at me type.
    I'm in that category wearing my piddling Lange 1 dress watch in Canary Wharf... but I know something they don't