closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undone - Kickstarter project (watches) by Michael Young (HK)

Master

Undone - Kickstarter project (watches) by Michael Young (HK)

Anyone else seen this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eid=36a769bf71

It's by Michael Young of Classic Watch Repair (Hong Kong) fame. I've dealt with him a couple of times, servicing a couple of watches and buying an Explorer II (which I wish I hadn't sold!).

I'm not usually a fan of Kickstarter watches, but these look really nice - gorgeous watches with tried and tested Seiko movements. Very well-priced too - around 100 quid each!

I'll pick up a Killy for sure (love the design), but am sorely tempted to get another, maybe PVD-coated...

I'm sorely tempted to order a build your own.

If anyone else wants to order one and you are UK based, drop me a pm.

We can order together and save a few quid.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Was looking at this couple days ago, nice retro looking chrono.

Yes, quite tempted myself too. I'm not sure I could be bothered with the configuration thing. The 'standard' models look quite cool and there would be a real danger of my incompetence mucking it up completely!

Journeyman
    Love the retro look of this watch. Very unoften I see a watch from a new brand and want to jump in to get it. The price is surprising too for a custom watch.

Don't get quite get how you order one? Is it that you have to do the backing on Kickstarter and you can order next year?
    Last edited by Jaacck; 5th December 2016 at 08:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaacck View Post
    Love the retro look of this watch. Very unoften I see a watch from a new brand and want to jump in to get it. The price is surprising too for a custom watch.

Don't get quite get how you order one? Is it that you have to do the backing on Kickstarter and you can order next year?
    I think you can either (1) order a pre-configured model, which will then arrive next Feb, or (2) order a custom design, which you will finalise at a later stage once the funding has concluded?

Then the first step will be fulfilling orders for the "pre made" models, the second step will be the 300 custom builds.

Makes sense - get the pre-configured models out into the wild asap.
    Last edited by ddm27; 5th December 2016 at 08:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Yes, quite tempted myself too. I'm not sure I could be bothered with the configuration thing. The 'standard' models look quite cool and there would be a real danger of my incompetence mucking it up completely!
    Haha, that's been my experience too! Played around with the config tool for a while and decided I'll just muck up some otherwise gorgeous designs. Tempted to change the Killy's case to rose gold or the Speedy's case to PVD, though...

Also I've figured why I like these watches much more than the usual KickStarter fare. They've not allowed an unknown or off-putting brand name to dominate the dial in the usual position - it's very tastefully executed just under the 6 o'clock marker, while the chrono layout keeps the dial feeling full. Really great design.

Unsurprising I suppose, it being designed by someone of real standing in the international watch community, as opposed to some hipsters who have just discovered PVD/natos/bauhaus design!

Journeyman
    May have to order one I thibk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jaacck; 5th December 2016 at 19:48.

Playing around with the configurator produced some really nice looking results. Shame the case is only 40mm in diameter - too small for me, so "I'm out"...

Simon

Very nice indeed. I reckon a few of these will be popping up in the Friday thread in the New Year.

Thanks for posting op, I may have missed it otherwise.

Ps. Does anyone know if the VK61 movement is Made in Japan?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 5th December 2016 at 22:06.

I backed this project a few days ago. I went for one of the custom-made options. I thought how wrong can this possibly get for $175? Anyway, I'll post some pics if/when I get mine. :)

Not bad, if a bit generic, but why, oh why, oh why, do they offer a display back when it looks THIS bad?????

Not only a JUST quartz movement, but quite possibly the ugliest one I've seen!

At least you can choose, but too much 'because you can' here...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th December 2016 at 00:35.

I really like the look of the 'Killy' option, but quite agree on the display back. What a strange decision to offer one. I'm a big fan of display backs when there's something nice to look at, but who would want to see that?!

Banned
    I like the signed crown, good job.

The Navi in YG would be a fine addition to a PP 5070G... Hmm

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    I really like the look of the 'Killy' option, but quite agree on the display back. What a strange decision to offer one. I'm a big fan of display backs when there's something nice to look at, but who would want to see that?!
    Hey it's Barry from Undone! We offer both SOLID and EXHIBITION caseback for our customizable Urban Chronograph. We have updated photos too! Please refer to http://bit.ly/2hgQ3fM for more info !:)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Very nice indeed. I reckon a few of these will be popping up in the Friday thread in the New Year.

Thanks for posting op, I may have missed it otherwise.

Ps. Does anyone know if the VK61 movement is Made in Japan?
    Yes they are as far as I know !:)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not bad, if a bit generic, but why, oh why, oh why, do they offer a display back when it looks THIS bad?????

Not only a JUST quartz movement, but quite possibly the ugliest one I've seen!

At least you can choose, but too much 'because you can' here...

M
    To be honest, as collectors ourselves, we agree that there's nothing special about the movement for anything quartz related. Firstly, I must stress for my brand that Customization and Personalization is our essence. If you refer to www.undone.watch , our first flagship Aqua Diver features an automatic movement, but the key lies in the artwork that every user gets to upload to the caseback! We are extend this to the Urban, which the exhibition glass allows users to get coloured artwork on it. That's the main reason really. Secondly, we think the VK61 is definitely not the ugliest quartz movement. We have seen those with a green circuit board, which we think is even uglier. The grey finish is acceptable to us. BUt we get your point brother! I am @bearwrist on Instagram, follow my journey taking @UndoneWatches to the mass! :)

Hello Barry and welcome to the forum!

As you'll know, I decided to sign up for one of the 'Killy' Chronographs after our email exchange last week. A couple of days later however I realised that the standard (non-customised) watch will have the exhibition caseback and so I tried to change my Kickstarter choice to the customised one so I could get a solid caseback perhaps with an engraving. However, as far as I can see there are no customised options available any longer (for a single watch). Is that correct?

I've gone for a custom. Already had a play for the prospective design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    In for a custom. Quite looking forward to it I must say :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    ... I realised that the standard (non-customised) watch will have the exhibition caseback and so I tried to change my Kickstarter choice to the customised one so I could get a solid caseback perhaps with an engraving. However, as far as I can see there are no customised options available any longer (for a single watch). Is that correct?
    The standard 'fixed design' apparently allows a choice of solid or glass caseback. The 'build your own' option is unlimited in quantity and it's easy to change your pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The standard 'fixed design' apparently allows a choice of solid or glass caseback. The 'build your own' option is unlimited in quantity and it's easy to change your pledge.
    Thanks for that. It wasn't clear about the choice of case backs originally but I received an email yesterday which makes the options a lot clearer. If I can specify a solid case back for the 'fixed design' then I won't bother with the 'build your own' option as it would only be for an engraving on the back. I'm happy with the rest of the design exactly as it is.

Master
    Just signed up for a "build your own". £130 for a stylish "grab'n'go" is pretty good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Just signed up for a "build your own". £130 for a stylish "grab'n'go" is pretty good in my book.
    When I signed up for the standard model it was HK$1350 (1200 + 150 shipping), which is £137 at today's rates. Has the "build your own" reduced in price? I need to check again.

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting this OP. I like the look of these and although a bit larger than my normal preference well worth taking a closer look at this price. I've gone for the standard 'Killy' as having played with the customiser I found that my favourite 'creation' already existed. Doh!

What is progress on this kickstarter project? Has anyone recieved their watch? Would like to see some pictures of it, or them as someone went for the modded version.

Really nice designs and good spec and parts for the money. I really like the cleanliness of the Speedy and also the Killy.

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    What is progress on this kickstarter project? Has anyone recieved their watch? Would like to see some pictures of it, or them as someone went for the modded version.
    I customised mine earlier this week, so I guess it should be on its way soon.

Agree.

Keen to see he "Killy" in the flesh.

Ordered mine this evening, said the Kickstarter backed ones should be sent out by end of march

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I backed a customised one a few months ago, I literally finalised my design today, it's a real looker. I'll post up some photos when it arrives, BTW, I opted for the engraved stainless back and not the mineral display, it's a lovely watch but hardly an elaborately decorated movement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've received my coupon codes for two 'Build Your Own' Urban Chronographs, valued at $295 each. One is for myself, and I suspect will turn out something like the 'Killy'. My intention for the other is to raise some funds for children's cancer charities - do you think that there will be enough interest in this for a raffle to be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Agree.

Keen to see he "Killy" in the flesh.
    The Killy is very much like a "Minerva" a colleague owns.

Nice look!

Al

Just ordered my "design". Which turned out very close to that they already had :-).

Master
    Quite a cool website, spent ages on there playing about.

Shame the diver case has the crown clamp, wish they did another case option as I'd like to have a go.

Tried the Chronograph

Journeyman
    Just received mine this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
    Just received mine this morning.

And, your impression?

Journeyman
    It's a very nice watch. I love the retro look of it. I think I probably change the strap as I feel it screams for a darker strap.

Journeyman
    Mine arrived today, my customised Killy variant. This really is a lovely watch, and the price is more than reasonable. Time will tell how well it holds up, but first impressions are very positive. The straps are easily swappable, so I've ordered an alternative strap, and another watch based on the Navi design, as well.

Some wrist pics:

My custom just arrived. Three straps to play with as well.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    My custom just arrived. Three straps to play with as well.

Did you get an email saying it was dispatched?

Yes with tracking. Customs kept it some time.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Yes with tracking. Customs kept it some time.

I've had nothing, been waiting a long time for mine

Journeyman
    Same watch on a different strap. Very easy to switch out the strap, they have a tiny quick-release button underneath which allows you to detach instantly. Very happy with the service from Barry & team as well, highly recommended.

Master
    Here's mine, was a pre-order for July delivery but turned up today. No customs issues.

Apprentice
    Mine came, very impressed

I don't know if it's a silly question at this price point but are the blue hands painted or heat blued?

Journeyman
    Painted

Craftsman
    The killy looks great. Has anyone ordered one yet??

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

I am raffling a 'Build Your Own' version of the Urban Chronograph for Children with Cancer and Make-a Wish in this thread:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...our-own-design!

The 'Build Your Own Version' enables you to replicate one of the fixed designs or go out a limb and be creative. The configurator with all of the options can be found here: https://www.undone.watch/watch/custo.../urban-vintage