closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice one Doxa!

Craftsman

Nice one Doxa!

Nice announcement from Doxa today, that those of us who have pre-ordered their 50th Anniversary DOXA Sub 300, will get a complimentary copy of Dr. Peter Millar's (Flying Doctor) 50 Years of the Doxa Sub book. The Doc's previous Doxa History books are excellent, so this is a great bonus.

Waiting for the Fed Ex details of my Sub 300 Professional as I type this; Xmas is coming early!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Gethin View Post
    Nice announcement from Doxa today, that those of us who have pre-ordered their 50th Anniversary DOXA Sub 300, will get a complimentary copy of Dr. Peter Millar's (Flying Doctor) 50 Years of the Doxa Sub book. The Doc's previous Doxa History books are excellent, so this is a great bonus.

Waiting for the Fed Ex details of my Sub 300 Professional as I type this; Xmas is coming early!

It is great news. I've also gone for the sub pro and every time I have emailed Doxa about the preorder replies have been super swift, kind and answered all my questions. Cannot wait for it to arrive.

Are the last few chapters in Chinese, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    It is great news. I've also gone for the sub pro and every time I have emailed Doxa about the preorder replies have been super swift, kind and answered all my questions. Cannot wait for it to arrive.
    Ah, you lucky ****. I got the email but timing is everything and I just don't have the funds at the moment, but it's my idea of the perfect Doxa. Can't wait to see pics

Journeyman
    If I didn't already have the Sub 1500, I'd be all over this one. I'm tempted even as it is... No, must resist.

I really like the look of this Doxa , can't wait to see your pics .

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    If I didn't already have the Sub 1500, I'd be all over this one. I'm tempted even as it is... No, must resist.
    Ah yes, "resist", I've heard of that, but never had much success when I've tried it, LOL

Is this one available in different colours? I thought I'd read that but not so sure now.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Is this one available in different colours? I thought I'd read that but not so sure now.

R
    Yes. Three different dials - Searambler (silver sunburst), Sharkhunter (black) and Professonal (Doxa orange).

They look stunning and I'm seriously tempted to whip the CC out and have a fire sale of my other watches to pay it back.

Must remain sober all weekend

Liking the look of that 1500T sea rambler...

Must admit I really like these - nice nod to their design heritage, unusual compared to many other watches around at the moment, and a real 'retro' look - very very tempted before they sell out, but not cheap (not helped by the state of the GBP, and you also have to factor in VAT when it arrives, at least un the UK) .... could see myself wearing one regularly mind ....

Can't wait. Mine arrives Monday!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Must admit I really like these - nice nod to their design heritage, unusual compared to many other watches around at the moment, and a real 'retro' look - very very tempted before they sell out, but not cheap (not helped by the state of the GBP, and you also have to factor in VAT when it arrives, at least un the UK) .... could see myself wearing one regularly mind ....
    Actually, the VAT is paid at source on these, as although you purchase them from the Doxa US online store, they are shipped from Switzerland. Still have to pay it, but at least there's no Customs involved.

Actually, the VAT is paid at source on these, as although you purchase them from the Doxa US online store, they are shipped from Switzerland. Still have to pay it, but at least there's no Customs involved.
    Thanks - never could get my head round their pricing .... so, still have to add 20% to the $1990, but they will add it when they take payment?

Last night I was informed by a Doxa online chat operative that they ship from Austria as I was wondering about the additional VAT charge. So according to them, there will be no extra tax to pay on arrival in the UK. If they shipped from Switzerland, however, there would be, although presumably you wouldn't then pay the VAT at source. It's slightly confusing but I think UK buyers will be safe from HR Customs interference.

I'm still trying to make up my mind about this one and trying to listen to my head, not just my heart

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Thanks - never could get my head round their pricing .... so, still have to add 20% to the $1990, but they will add it when they take payment?
    Yes that's right, there's also a $25 delivery charge. As Onelasttime quite rightly says, they are shipped from within the EU, so no additional Customs charges.

Must admit im liking the Doxa line up although the additional 20% on top of the price AND the weak pound means its a no from me. Could do with a UK Doxa AD really??

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Last night I was informed by a Doxa online chat operative that they ship from Austria as I was wondering about the additional VAT charge. So according to them, there will be no extra tax to pay on arrival in the UK. If they shipped from Switzerland, however, there would be, although presumably you wouldn't then pay the VAT at source. It's slightly confusing but I think UK buyers will be safe from HR Customs interference.

I'm not sure about the above. I'm sure 20% is added from what I read and from going through a dummy order. Whether they ship via Austria to UK or Switzerland to UK VAT will be due in both cases as the watches are priced on the website in Switzerland.

As an original '67 Sub 300t owner myself I was tempted but it was a big mistake not to go plexi crystal IMO.

http://shop.doxawatches.com/product-...v=79cba1185463

sub300_4
    DOXA SUB300 Professional Pre-order Balance $1490.00 (credit card payment only, no Paypal)
    $1.788,00

$1.788,00 (incl. tax)
    COUPON

Coupon code
    APPLY COUPON
    CART TOTALS

Subtotal $1.788,00 (incl. tax)
    Shipping
    CALCULATE SHIPPING

$1.788,00 (includes $298,00 VAT estimated for the United Kingdom (UK))
    Last edited by Max...; 3rd December 2016 at 16:11.

Master
    All this talk about VAT and customs etc... is confusing
    so may I ask the OP what is the actual cost in GBP delivered in your hands?

Yes. Three different dials - Searambler (silver sunburst), Sharkhunter (black) and Professonal (Doxa orange).

They look stunning and I'm seriously tempted to whip the CC out and have a fire sale of my other watches to pay it back.

Must remain sober all weekend
    Thanks, I thought I was going a bit senile there.

And yes, they do look stunning.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    I make it a touch over £1400, plus whatever the shipping cost is.

R

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    To quote Doxa "Yes, this time VAT will be collected upfront and EU customers will NOT be required to pay anything else when the watch comes into the EU, we have chosen this option to the shipping process for you and to avoid delays caused by customs, especially in the holiday season."

Those who preordered paid a $500 deposit, with a balance of $1490 ($1,990 in total). 20% VAT was added at the checkout, plus $25 delivery, giving a grand total of $2,413. I paid using a UK Sterling Credit Card, so the GBP price depends on the GBP/US Dollar rate at the time.

Today I would expect the total cost to be approx £1,895 delivered. I got away with about £1,850 as the rate was much better when I paid the deposit.

The pre-order price is based on having already paid a $500 deposit. The actual cost is $1990 + VAT at 20%.

And no additional duty/tax on arrival. I worked it out at £1850 odd including delivery charge so not cheap.

The pre-order price is based on having already paid a $500 deposit. The actual cost is $1990 + VAT at 20%.

And no additional duty/tax on arrival. I worked it out at £1850 odd including delivery charge so not cheap.
    I guess that's the issue. It's a hight price for a repro/hommage that is Doxa only in 'name' really.

They may rise in cost in years to come but an original (100% Swiss made ;) ) Sub 300t in nice complete condition is probably around £1200 - £1400 now. And will always surely continue to rise.

Master
    To quote Doxa "Yes, this time VAT will be collected upfront and EU customers will NOT be required to pay anything else when the watch comes into the EU, we have chosen this option to the shipping process for you and to avoid delays caused by customs, especially in the holiday season."

Those who preordered paid a $500 deposit, with a balance of $1490 ($1,990 in total). 20% VAT was added at the checkout, plus $25 delivery, giving a grand total of $2,413. I paid using a UK Sterling Credit Card, so the GBP price depends on the GBP/US Dollar rate at the time.

Today I would expect the total cost to be approx £1,895 delivered. I got away with about £1,850 as the rate was much better when I paid the deposit.
    Thanks for the explanation and giving the cost you paid, it looks a lovely watch and cetainly one I'd go for.
    I know Doxa isn't exactly a forum favourite but on the odd occasion they do come up they certainly don't hang around long, I personally love them and just wish we had an AD somewhere in the UK where we could go and try them out before you commit to buy. As the 300, 750, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 5000 models may all look the same but they certainly wear different.
    I'll look forward to seeing the pictures and your opinion of this 300 reissue

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    Can't wait. Mine arrives Monday!
    Wow. Great. Did you get an email?
    Waiting patiently but heard nothing yet.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I thought VAT and import duty were two separate things and as Switzerland isn't in the EU even though it is 'European' that I would have to pay duty. But if this isn't the case, that would be good news indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    I thought VAT and import duty were two separate things and as Switzerland isn't in the EU even though it is 'European' that I would have to pay duty. But if this isn't the case, that would be good news indeed.
    VAT and Customs Duty are two separate things but in practice there is never any Customs Duty to pay on single watch shipments being brought into the EU. The maximum Customs Duty that would ever be charged on multiple watch shipments is the UK£ equivalent of €0.80 per watch so clearly it's a trivial amount anyway.

Wow. Great. Did you get an email?
    Waiting patiently but heard nothing yet.

I did, but I had already paid via a link they posted in the forum. They are working in order shipping 25+ a day.

A nice bonus is the new hardcover book by Doc Pete....with my name in the acknowledgment

-Michael Cook

Craftsman

Smile

They are being shipped from Austria, an EU country, so no additional VAT\Customs duty to be paid, all paid at checkout time, much easier. :-)
    Last edited by Abe Gethin; 4th December 2016 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    VAT and Customs Duty are two separate things but in practice there is never any Customs Duty to pay on single watch shipments being brought into the EU. The maximum Customs Duty that would ever be charged on multiple watch shipments is the UK£ equivalent of €0.80 per watch so clearly it's a trivial amount anyway.
    True. How ever there is custom contract between swiss and EU so "only" VAT must be paid then.

JP

Craftsman
    Shipping begins tomorrow :D

I like the new reissue of the Sub 300. Doxa should have done this years ago, rather than multiple iterations of 600, 750, 1000, 1500 etc.

I'm still waiting for a reissue of the Doxa Army however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP (Europe) View Post
    True. How ever there is custom contract between swiss and EU so "only" VAT must be paid then.
    Well, even without the special customs arrangement between Switzerland and the EU there'd still be no Customs Duty to pay on watch imports into the EU (and particularly into the UK).

To expand for anyone who's interested, Customs Duty on watches imported into the EU from outside is charged at 4.5% but the net sum due is bracketed to a very small range of values per watch, with the maximum being the local currency equivalent of €0.80 per watch. Furthermore, the UK's HMRC has a policy of not collecting Customs Duty unless it amounts to £9 or more (if I remember correctly). The net effect of the EU Customs Duty calculation and the UK HMRC policy is therefore to charge no Customs Duty on any single watch shipment from any country outside the EU into the UK, unless it's a multi-watch shipment, and even then the Customs Duty payable would only be a tiny amount per watch.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 4th December 2016 at 22:08. Reason: Corrected

Craftsman

Smile First photos

Shipping begins tomorrow :D
    Actually, shipping started a couple of days ago, the first few have already arrived with their lucky owners!

First photos of one in captivity (not mine unfortunately):

Craftsman
    Actually, shipping started a couple of days ago, the first few have already arrived with their lucky owners!

First photos of one in captivity (not mine unfortunately):

I know, not the best photos yet but I meant shipping for me specifically.

Craftsman
    I know, not the best photos yet but I meant shipping for me specifically.
    Happy days! I'm still checking my email ever 15 minutes for the FedEx tracking details!

10:30 this morning...

Patience...patience...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Well, even without the special customs arrangement between Switzerland and the EU there'd still be no Customs Duty to pay on watch imports into the EU (and particularly into the UK).
    I think that was exactly what I said.

K HMRC policy is therefore to charge no Customs Duty on any single watch shipment from any country outside the EU into the UK, unless it's a multi-watch shipment, and even then the Customs Duty payable would only be a tiny amount per watch.
    Even on multi-swiss made watch shipment from Switzerland is custom free because the contract EU-swiss.

How ever this is quite pointless because VAT will be charged IF custom will do so.

JP

Winner

Winner
    Couldn't agree more - that is a fantastic watch - congratulations ..... must resist .....

Winner

Not sure about this IMHO it looks out of proportion, the dial looks comically small compared with the bezel and case. 😒

Craftsman
    Winner

You certainly are, it looks superb, as did the original!

The dial is small compared to modern watches. I think it was less noticeable with the original 300Ts as they had a flat crystal rather than this plexi-domed-but-sapphire crystal on the repros.

I must say though the shots of the Searamblers in particular coming through on the Doxa forum do look nice.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/300...s-3808450.html
    Last edited by Max...; 5th December 2016 at 21:40.

With regard to dial size; this iteration is a near replication of the original 1967 that are very coveted. Other models have a different balance, but this was pretty darned true to the 1967 release.

I, for one, bought for just that reason. It's a limited release.

With regard to dial size; this iteration is a near replication of the original 1967 that are very coveted. Other models have a different balance, but this was pretty darned true to the 1967 release.

I, for one, bought for just that reason. It's a limited release.
    Didnt realise it was a nod to a past iconic doxa if it is true to the 1967 version then well done doxa 👍😀

Craftsman

In transit :-)

It's on its way! This is my retirement present to myself, so I'll feel fully retired when it arrives. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Date/Time - Activity - Location
    06/12/2016 - Tuesday
    22:00 - In transit - WIEN AT
    17:21 - Left FedEx origin facility - VIENNA AT
    15:22 - Picked up - VIENNA AT
    11:54 - Shipment information sent to FedEx

It's on its way! This is my retirement present to myself, so I'll feel fully retired when it arrives. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Date/Time - Activity - Location
    06/12/2016 - Tuesday
    22:00 - In transit - WIEN AT
    17:21 - Left FedEx origin facility - VIENNA AT
    15:22 - Picked up - VIENNA AT
    11:54 - Shipment information sent to FedEx
    Pro, Sharky or Rambler?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Pro, Sharky or Rambler?
    Pro and it's just left Koeln in Germany, I assume being flown to Birmingham :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Are the last few chapters in Chinese, by any chance?
    Snigger