closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Please suggest a Retro Diver For Me!!

Master

Please suggest a Retro Diver For Me!!

I haven't asked for suggestions on what watch before, and I know some don't seem to like the requests. Its not laziness, there may be some of you that know of makes I haven't heard of.

As I am struggling to find anything I like these days (had most everything...) I saw the Eterna 1973 re-issue and di like the look of it. I wont be able to afford a new one but would maybe be able to stretch to a used one. But, what else sub £1k is there on the market that would be similar in your opinions. Ideally Id like it around £500. I do remember that, I think, helson did a Turtle that looked pretty good, so that sort of thing. Must be at least 200m wr so I can go in the shallow end of the pool with confidence!! :0)

I look for to your knowledge.

You should be able to pick up an LLD secondhand.

Alternatively the Oris 65 looks good and you could probably get a MM300. For under £500 I'd go for the Seiko Padi or a Vintage Seiko Diver.

Jacques Cousteau, Lionel Crabb, I'm sure there are others.

Grand Master
    Borealis Scorpionfish? wish i'd kept mine! the only pic i have left below, with my Victorinox Divemaster orange beast.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

One of the iterations of the Oris 65?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Blog Entries

When you mean retro do you mean retro as in a old watch/vintage or do you mean a new watch made to look old?

New watches with a retro feel seem to be in a bit of no mans land for me and I have a few, cant beat a watch with genuine age to it, just seems to look so good on the wrist..

Master
    Glycine Combat Sub . Plenty of styles to choose from and you should be able to find them online for a lot below RRP.
    Rated to 20ATM according to the spec which is about 600ft.
    Drilled lugs so you can put it on a nato easily if desired.

I have one on my wrist now (its functioning as my beater but its a solid enough watch in its own right).
    Its no Rolex but its not as far off as you'd think.

Nice arabic numbers too.

I think Glycine have one out now with a helium escape valve and rated to 500m...if you were thinking of going that deep!
    Last edited by Mr.D; 2nd December 2016 at 14:51.

Bulova Accutron 2 Snorkel? Very similar to the original in design.

Longines Legend diver, any of the untold number of Sub lookalikes (Steinhart if you want that), something a little different, like a Longines Hydroconquest?

Some of the new Seikos are 'reissues' too.

A genuine 'vintage' divers watch looks great, but I'm not sure I'd want to dive in one, newly serviced or not...

M

I'm in a similar boat. But just not sure how I'd feel longterm with a modern hommage or repro as I love original 70's Seikos, Doxas etc.

I thought the Squale Atmos 50 reissue was near perfect for me but the whole Chinese/Swiss? made TGV, anti-Squaleeeee thing puts me off a bit.

I like the idea of buying into a brand that once had 'been there and done it' but the vast majority of them of course are merely a 'name' purchased, promoted and bullshi$$ed by a modern faceless company with no real links to the past. I'm sure as well that all of them spouting 'SWISS made!' are being so economical with the truth and the actual manufacture and assembly of most of the watch is a lot further to the East...

The first model (rose dial) Tudor Bay would be perfect too but for the lack of date.

I tried one on yesterday at Mappin & Webb and TBH it was the only watch there that stood out for me in a sea of modern Omegas, Tissots, Longines etc that all appeared to be glorified 'fashion' watches regardless of price.

I think given I cannot justify £4-5k for a nice original blue Tudor Snowflake Sub I'll just stick to vintage Seikos - nothing else gives more bang for the buck and I have a lovely original 6105 on the way from Aus as we speak.
    Last edited by Max...; 2nd December 2016 at 14:59.

Master
    One of the best new release but retro design was the Longine 67 Chrono diver imho. They've even given it a retro look bracelet. Lots of people like the Oris, I got into all sorts issues about it but would still like to see more 100m WR just personal opinion.
    On a left field option how about a Seamaster 2254.50 it references the sword hands and big triangle of the classic SM300 but can still be maintained to keep it as good as any dive watch out there. To me they are probably the best looking modern Seamaster Pro.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    One of the best new release but retro design was the Longine 67 Chrono diver imho. They've even given it a retro look bracelet.
    Any excuse for a photo... although the Longines bracelet stays in the box, as I'm just not sure I like the design of the bracelet. So it's either on the rubber or on a cheap folded link jubilee:-

I confess I am a bit of a fan of the "retro" style diver as I have a Blackbay Red, MM300 and a Breitling Super Ocean Heritage - all of which while great may not fit the brief cost wise.

I really like the Longines Chrono Diver ^^above^^ - the red reminds me of the Black bay and it has a nice vintage feel.

Not sure if an old Doxa model will come in at your budget but they are pretty unchanged even if they don't look vintage style (at least to me)

Blog Entries
    PRS-82
    PRS-44

?

Finally someone said the 82!

I like the Oris that doesn't have the squashy numerals
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Citizen Promaster BK3150-04E if you can find one:

The three correct answers had all been mentioned in the first five posts - Oris 65, Longines LD and the Eterna. The Eterna has an in-house movement and is the most butch. The Oris is pretty AF, and the Longines has two crowns, and that's twice as good as one crown. (Bonus points to Bubi for mentioning the PRS82.)

Eterna for me, I think. But then I am quite butch. Coo-ee!

Master
    Some good shouts, thanks.

Just to clarify I like re-issues rather than vintage because I am ocd about condition of watches.

The LLD left me unimpressed and I wouldn't go for Seiko or Citizen.

Still got the Eterna as a front runner, just got to start saving I guess...

Master
    Any one of the new Seiko Turtles.

OR

A quartz Tuna.

Craftsman
    Love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    (Bonus points to Bubi for mentioning the PRS82.)
    Ahem, I'll take those bonus points, thank you. And double them for mentioning the PRS-44 too.

I had an Eterna 1973 and it was a beautiful watch. However, I have an EDOX Hydro sub and the quality is as good if not better. A very retro style. The quartz divers watch can be found well under £500 but the automatic versions are a bit more. The north pole Limited Edition is a cool watch and has a Deepsea Cameron blue black dial and has bracelet and rubber strap options. I would love to try one of these. But I can vouch for quality on all models. I have a longines legend diver but it is not as wildly retro as the chunky 70s models and is much more discreet and I find it gets less wrist time than the EDOX surprisingly.

The Oris 65 line was just updated with a silver dial, very retro and the best version so far IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ahem, I'll take those bonus points, thank you. And double them for mentioning the PRS-44 too.
    The power of marketing ;-)

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Hehe...

PRS-82 perfect retro diver!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Finally someone said the 82!
    Another vote for the aweinspiring PRS-82 from Eddie 👍

Master
    The Edox hydrosub was a good shout as it's a bit "gadgety". It's also a bit too large for me though...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    The Oris 65 line was just updated with a silver dial, very retro and the best version so far IMO.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not so keen on it I think, perhaps it's the aged lume against the silver dial. However, I would like to see it in the flesh. I recently ordered the blue dial, 42mm on bracelet to try on.

Craftsman
    Certainly a Borealis Scorpionfish!!

Journeyman
    I have 2 quartz Edox hydro subs (green accent on rubber and pumpkin on steel) from the Ashfords sale and for the money they are fantastic and don't wear that big at all really as not longer than a normal 45, just a little bit wider.

Rubber was $199 and pumpkin was $219 but I had a 20% off code for that one so after customs etc the rubber was about 210 quid and the pumpkin was about 200.

Both feel like thousand pound watches, which is pretty much what they were before the omega legal team got involved!

Master
    I had never heard of it until somebody posted one on a Friday thread but the vintage inspired Eza Sealander looks very nice and may be worth a look.

Last edited by Binsull; 19th December 2016 at 16:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfq23 View Post
    I have 2 quartz Edox hydro subs
    [...]
    Both feel like thousand pound watches, which is pretty much what they were before the omega legal team got involved!
    What happened?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What happened?
    Intellectual property issue with the term master lock I believe so all of them were dumped on the grey market and all record of them removed from the website

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfq23 View Post
    Intellectual property issue with the term master lock I believe so all of them were dumped on the grey market and all record of them removed from the website
    Very interesting, thanks.

Please suggest a Retro Diver For Me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    I had never heard of it until somebody posted one on a Friday thread but the vintage inspired Eza Sealander looks very nice and may be worth a look.
    I have one, not sure if you are referring to my post. I am very pleased with it and I believe it's worth the money. It's on the expensive side for a micro, but has everything I was after for a diver! They now offer it with an optional milanese bracelet, although I have a feeling it's from the same vendor as Stowa's.

Quayside, Newcastle:
    Last edited by gerasimos33; 19th December 2016 at 18:52.

Craftsman
    Yep, the PRS-82 is a current favourite of mine and I can't take it off, it simply grows on you (not literally though!!).

It wears really well on leather, rubber and NATO and therefore is a great tool watch, especially witht the drilled lugs. Also has the advantage that it has some significant history in diving...

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Any excuse for a photo... although the Longines bracelet stays in the box, as I'm just not sure I like the design of the bracelet. So it's either on the rubber or on a cheap folded link jubilee:-

I'm trying to thin my collection and you post this picture? I need to own one of these I fear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updated Triton (alas, not 500 quid)

Sealander is a good shout, very happy with mine. Ditto the seiko turtle, bit more utilitarian, but lovely.
    Squale 1521 and raven trekker?

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I haven't asked for suggestions on what watch before, and I know some don't seem to like the requests. Its not laziness, there may be some of you that know of makes I haven't heard of.

As I am struggling to find anything I like these days (had most everything...) I saw the Eterna 1973 re-issue and di like the look of it. I wont be able to afford a new one but would maybe be able to stretch to a used one. But, what else sub £1k is there on the market that would be similar in your opinions. Ideally Id like it around £500. I do remember that, I think, helson did a Turtle that looked pretty good, so that sort of thing. Must be at least 200m wr so I can go in the shallow end of the pool with confidence!! :0)

I look for to your knowledge.
    The most similar watch to the Eterna 1973 SuperKontiki reissue is probably the Ocean7 LM-3 V2 (version 2), if you can find one. It is a homage to the Eterna and is WR to 1250m. I'm not sure if there are any other similar homages out there, apart from the Crepas homage to the Scubapro 500, which shares the same bezel to the Eterna.

I'd certainly echo the suggestions about the Seiko Turtle re-issues - I have a PADI and it's great...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    At this price point I'd buy a PRS-3 or variant from time factors or do a WTB. Well made and based on MOD specs so you're getting the SM300 look.

Whilst thoroughly endorsing Eddie's 82, I also noticed CREPAS sub-brand Tactico is just releasing this

Looks nice, if a little too yellow on the lume??
    Dave

Master
    I love my Steinhart ocean one Vintage, feels lovely quality for the money. The brand gets a bit of a frosty reception by a lot of people though but the OOV is good value IMO.

Banned
    Oris 65 diver especially the 40mm version with the large numbers on the dial

Seikoboy