closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New or second hand mechanical watch for a newcomer to watches

Apprentice

New or second hand mechanical watch for a newcomer to watches

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of watches and am looking to make my first purchase of a mechanical watch. Budget wise I don't want to go crazy first go but would still like something fairly decent and would be willing to pay anything in the 500/1000 range. I've seen some recommendation regarding Steinhart and I quite like their marine watches. I also like the look of Nomos Glashute watches but that would be going slightly over budget for me.

Regarding second hand watches would I be crazy as newbie to look at buying one or better to go for a new watch? Maybe I could get better value for my money but then I'm might not be sure of what I'm getting.

Any tips or recommendations would be welcome!

You can't go wrong with a Steinhart. Great build quality and a good introduction to mechanical/automatic watches. Personally, buying used (from trusted sellers such as you'll find here!) is the way to go. It allows you to chop and change and sample many watches. All part of the fun!

You cant go wrong with a mechanical Seiko in my opinion - and you can pick up a new one for a lot less than your stated budget.

An SKX007 perhaps? Available on bracelet or rubber strap.

Journeyman
    I'd second the vote for Steinhart. I have 3 of them now, and have nothing but positives to say. A Seiko SKX007 is another great choice (although I believe they've been discontinued) if dive watches are your thing. Although I'm not a fan of the stock bracelet, it's a great watch.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the recommendation took a quick look at that Seiko SKX007, nice watch but looking for something along the likes of the Steinhart Marine i.e

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/m...-roemisch.html

Hopefully it won't be too long getting up to 50 post curious to see what can be bought on here! Is ebay worth a look or is that too risky or can I even mention that around here?

Hi. Spend some time browsing here for ideas find some features or overall designs you like to narrow your search. Theres plenty of choice out there at that price range. I think my first mechanical was a Seiko skx009. If you stick around long enough and contribute you may also gain access to sales corner (but don't rush to get there!), be warned though once you've got 1 mechanical you'll want more (actually it's more like once you've got one watch you'll want to try lots more mechanical, Quartz, whatever - it's a slippery slope let me tell you)

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    You cant go wrong with a mechanical Seiko in my opinion - and you can pick up a new one for a lot less than your stated budget.

An SKX007 perhaps? Available on bracelet or rubber strap.
    good suggestion. can't go wrong with Seiko. It's a good starting point.

SKX007, or any of the new Turtles(SRP), or JDM Seiko.

lot of people have atleast one Seiko in their collection... and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bleko View Post

Hopefully it won't be too long getting up to 50 post curious to see what can be bought on here! Is ebay worth a look or is that too risky or can I even mention that around here?
    Take your time.. have a few chats about the various (lovely) watches you'll see on here.. and before you know it you'll see sales corner. eBay is a minefield - although I've got lucky a few times on it too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    In that price range I think a second hand longines legend diver would be a good bet if you like the look of them, they're just shy of 1k. Oris is a great maker and very underrated too. If they're not to your tastes there are plenty of good bits about. I'd say you'd get much more for your money buying used though. Dodge depreciation to a certain degree.
    Last edited by verv; 1st December 2016 at 23:29.

I think a Seiko is a good recommendation, plenty of choices at various price points.

Steinharts are good quality too but you can't get away from the fact they're mostly Rolex Sub lookalikes. That may be fine you, but undermines their desirability to me.

A Longines would be a good quality Swiss brand in budget too.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring13 View Post
    lot of people have atleast one Seiko in their collection... and for good reason.
    It doesn't feel quite right on those brief occasions when there isn't one in my ever changing collection.

Thanks for the recommendation took a quick look at that Seiko SKX007, nice watch but looking for something along the likes of the Steinhart Marine i.e

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/m...-roemisch.html

If you like a 'marine' style watch, there's always the Sewills Ark Royal, here - http://www.timefactors.com/sewills.htm

Alternatively, look at Stowa for that marine style. I have two and they're superb for the money.

Orient or Hamilton would be good options,

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome.
    Let me be the first to suggest the greatest mechanical watch, (in my opinion), that you can buy for sub £1K:

It's all the watch you'll ever need!

Banned
    I think you should start with something cheaper. You will find out if you like mechanical watches or not, and you will know more when the time comes to buy something more expensive. You will probably also appreciate the more expensive watch more if you wait. The last thing you want is to waste a large amount of money on something you find out you don't like, loses it's value and needs an expensive service.

And I suggest you buy new, unless you know what you are doing. There are some strange anomalies in the used watch market that can catch beginners out.

Have a look at the Seiko SARB/SARX/SARY & Brightz ranges. All JDM and built to a very high standard in their respective price ranges.

Master
    One of the things you could do is visit Chrono24 enter the brand name then on filters for movement tick auto and manual, Gender Male and price range £500 - £1200 as you may get a £1200 down to £1000 when negotiating. Do this for the brands you like.
    Helpful hint Omega had 26 pages worth and when put in price order I've spotted a very juicy deal from a Spanish bricks and mortar site for a Seamaster Pro. So tempted!
    If you like some models come back with your suggestions and I'm sure the discussions will then commence and also people will give you any knowledge they have of dealers assuming they have used them.
    For me there is no discussion you should get the pre loved Seamaster :-)

Master
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer seems to be in line with the style you mention, and can be picked up for a smidge over £500 brand new from Italian dealers on Chrono24.

Apprentice
    Thanks again for all the recommendations!

Some very good advice already there and things to think about. Budget was a rough idea but yeah going cheaper would probably be a better idea starting off and would probably prefer to buy new until I learn more about what to look out for.

I do like the look of that Hamilton!

Anyway this thread has already given me a nice few things to research. Will spend a bit of time getting to know the different watch styles and what is appealing to me at this stage, I'm sure that will change as time goes on!

Journeyman
    If you check out the stowa website now, they have some display models with 15% off which should take to upper end of your budget.
    Stowa Marine Original with silver dial for €1258.
    Beautiful watch and seems to be style you are looking at.
    https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+Origi...dvent+2016.htm

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Steinhart would be a great start and good value for money.

I've had this one for about 2 years now, no probs

Master
    I started HERE & don't regret it.
    http://www.timefactors.com/

Master
    Seiko and Steinhart get my vote.... But I'll also throw in a used Oris Aquis. Should be able to pick one up for around £750. :-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I looked at the Stowa Marine a while ago when I as looking for a watch in that style and would probably have bought one if an Archimede hadn't appeared on SC at just the right time. A plus factor of the Archimede is that the lug width is 20mm, as opposed to the 22mm of seemingly all other watches in this style, and with the narrower strap I find this size a good fit on my very slightly sub 7" wrist. The Steinhart is larger than the others mentioned here at 44mm, and given that these watches have a large dial area due to the slim bezel then 44mm may be too large, certainly many have tried watches from Dornbluth (involuntary drool) and found them to wear too large, and they are 42mm. Archimede don't offer the 6498-2 movement now, which is decorated and ticks along at 21,600, but they do now use heat blued hands. They are a fair bit cheaper than the Stowa, but the Stowa does have the version of the movement with a swan neck regulator. Take a look here . Here's mine....

F.T.F.A.

Banned
    This can be had for 61 pounds:

Seagull 6498 movement.

Apprentice
    I think I'm getting more confused by the choice given on this thread :)

Archimedes look nice as well.

GrandS, I guess a 61 GBP watch is coming from China for that price? Are Chinese movements reliable? At that price I dont expect to last a lifetime but wouldn't want to be throwing money away either.

Banned
    GrandS, I guess a 61 GBP watch is coming from China for that price? Are Chinese movements reliable? At that price I dont expect to last a lifetime but wouldn't want to be throwing money away either.
    Yes, it is Chinese with a Seagull brand movent. Seagull movements are well known and usually reliable. You certainly won't be throwing money away.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yes, it is Chinese with a Seagull brand movent. Seagull movements are well known and usually reliable. You certainly won't be throwing money away.
    Thanks, it could be a nice option to get started with from a price point of view especially with it's low entry point. Would give me an idea regarding size, weight etc.

Banned
    Thanks, it could be a nice option to get started with from a price point of view especially with it's low entry point. Would give me an idea regarding size, weight etc.
    PM sent. There are almost endless variations, just search for, for example watch seagull Parnis on aliexpress.

Morning bleko.

Before GrandS sends you off to China (not £61.00 well spent in my personal opinion), I thought you might like a view on the Steinhart Marine Chronometer from someone who actually owns one...

I have what at the time was called the Marine Chronometer II (at some point they dropped the 'II' but it's the same as the current watch). I bought it pre-owned from DeepThought on this forum through Sales Corner.

It's a beautiful watch and excellent value for money - even if you were to buy it new.

The white dial is lovely and it's an excellent hand-wound movement. It keeps very good time and as I'm largely a dive watch man it's probably the closest thing I've got to a dress watch.

They come on a leather strap with a deployant - great if you like deployants but I don't, so mine is on a BOB leather strap that I think suits it very well.

Yes, it is 44mm and pretty much all dial, so you need to be comfortable with watches of that size. It's ideal for me but some people have a problem with the dimensions.

Here's a photo of mine...

I liked it so much and think so highly of Steinharts (at their price point) that I subsquently bought a new Ocean 44 from them as well...

I hope this helps.

Simon

Craftsman
    I'm a big advocate of second hand watches, you can get some stunning examples from forums like this one. Brand wise I'm a fan of many, i seem to have a good number of orient watches however, this wasn't by design but I really do like them. Good quality, good price point and some stunning styles. Pro saturation diver is my favorite of my orient collection, a very solid animal indeed.

Also like my longines GMT commander a hell of a lot. The winding rotor is a little noisy but that is well documented and not a fault. The style is stunning to my eye. On leather it's my top choice quite often on a night out. A used mint used example is typically £6/700. Will always sell for what you pay so it's as good as a free watch.

Master
    I'll 2nd MrBarry.
    I think the issue is what watch style do you actually like? Pilot watch? Pay 4K for an IWC or maybe £500 grey for a Fortis. I'd get the Fortis but that's just me, perhaps you like Divers? Pay 6k for a Sub, 4K for a Planet Ocean or £600 grey for a Glycine.
    Then there is a fairly encompassing Sports Watch criteria ranging from Aqua Terra's, Grand Seikos to Lower end Seikos, Tissots, Certina's. Get your style first then try and buy the really well received / reviewed watch at the price you can afford. The trouble of buying by brand is they may have a strong look that your not particularly in love with.
    If your budget is £500 -£1000 I see no point in paying £60. What's the point? If the budget can stretch to £1000 the next decision is whether to buy a watch nerd well regarded brand like Sinn, Damasko, Oris or buy 2nd hand higher end Swiss in which case you've got bags of choice with Longine and some interesting choices with Breitling and Omega even Zenith (non El-Primero). If the budget is more £300-£500 then maybe explore the German brands such as Laco et all, or just get a great Tissot Visiodate. Etc.
    It might help to hit a Watches of Switzerland or equivalent who stock loads of brands. If you like a style hopefully they may at least identify what style it is for you to begin the journey.
    Ps this journey never ends!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I'm a big advocate of second hand watches, you can get some stunning examples from forums like this one. Brand wise I'm a fan of many, i seem to have a good number of orient watches however, this wasn't by design but I really do like them. Good quality, good price point and some stunning styles. Pro saturation diver is my favorite of my orient collection, a very solid animal indeed.

Also like my longines GMT commander a hell of a lot. The winding rotor is a little noisy but that is well documented and not a fault. The style is stunning to my eye. On leather it's my top choice quite often on a night out. A used mint used example is typically £6/700. Will always sell for what you pay so it's as good as a free watch.
    If I knew what I was buying I would go buy second hand but I'd be a bit wary buying second hand until I know a bit more about watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I'll 2nd MrBarry.
    I think the issue is what watch style do you actually like? Pilot watch? Pay 4K for an IWC or maybe £500 grey for a Fortis. I'd get the Fortis but that's just me, perhaps you like Divers? Pay 6k for a Sub, 4K for a Planet Ocean or £600 grey for a Glycine. !
    I think you hit the nail on the head there, I need to research the different styles and see what stands out. From what I can tell so far I'm not really into chronographs or diver watches but who knows that could all change down the line!

I dont think I'll be buying anything from China anytime soon, although had a look it's amazing what they're producing over there whatever the quality is like I don't know.

Any good youtube channel recommendations out there? I'm watching a few from IWC which have a good introductory series

Master
    Was in this position only a few weeks ago. Ended up with a v.nice Hamilton Pan Europ and a Seiko Sumo, both are really excellent. I very nearly got a Longines Hydroconquest which now can be purchased quite cheap post Black Friday. All the above are well within budget. Some nice Oris watches around this price as well.

This must be quite a personal choice though.

Good luck with your selection.

I look forward to finding out what you end up with.

Regards

Gary

Master
    If I knew what I was buying I would go buy second hand but I'd be a bit wary buying second hand until I know a bit more about watches.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, I need to research the different styles and see what stands out. From what I can tell so far I'm not really into chronographs or diver watches but who knows that could all change down the line!

I dont think I'll be buying anything from China anytime soon, although had a look it's amazing what they're producing over there whatever the quality is like I don't know.

Any good youtube channel recommendations out there? I'm watching a few from IWC which have a good introductory series
    Taste is bound to change over time. The first nice watch I got was a vintage Omega Connie for my wedding I bought this from a bricks and mortar outlet on the Strand and definitely bought it because of the sales experience. I've then moved into dive watches and Chrono's but sometimes I just like the simplicity of a 3 hander in gold or stainless steel. Hamilton, Mido, some Tissot, Certina, Seiko, Damasko, potentially Sinn, Laco and I'm sure many more can be purchased within your budget. I'd say go on the Jura watch site as they have many brands at all prices. Probably worth taking a look to decide on a style.

I'd be buying from one of the older/more established brands - to some extent you get what you pay for. A good nearly new Omega, Sinn, Longines, or Seiko might hit the spot, but there are lots of others. Personally, Steinhart doesn't appeal to me, I'd rather a brand had its own identity.

There are also great value brands that can be bought new at a discount, sometimes up to 50% off in the sales, Ball, Baume&Mercier etc. that are well made and comparable to most other brands at similar RRP.

Id be saving and buying an Omega Seamster SMPc 300m, £2770 RRP, but can be bought with a fair amount of warranty left for around £1600, and unlikely to lose much in the short term, and will rise in future. If that is just too much then the Sinn U1 is a good option, the Seiko MM300 is a well respected watch for the money too, and there are various Nomos models, but I'm not so familiar with the brand and I doubt mid term resale would be strong.

Look at the designs you like and see which brands cover those, but not as design copies imho, and then see what is available on the lightly used market.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd be buying from one of the older/more established brands - to some extent you get what you pay for. A good nearly new Omega, Sinn, Longines, or Seiko might hit the spot, but there are lots of others. Personally, Steinhart doesn't appeal to me, I'd rather a brand had its own identity.

There are also great value brands that can be bought new at a discount, sometimes up to 50% off in the sales, Ball, Baume&Mercier etc. that are well made and comparable to most other brands at similar RRP.

Id be saving and buying an Omega Seamster SMPc 300m, £2770 RRP, but can be bought with a fair amount of warranty left for around £1600, and unlikely to lose much in the short term, and will rise in future. If that is just too much then the Sinn U1 is a good option, the Seiko MM300 is a well respected watch for the money too, and there are various Nomos models, but I'm not so familiar with the brand and I doubt mid term resale would be strong.

Look at the designs you like and see which brands cover those, but not as design copies imho, and then see what is available on the lightly used market.
    A Seamaster automatic with some warranty for £1600 sounds like a steal. Can you point out where this deal can be found ? Sorry for the diversion to the thread.

There is one on our very own sales corner ;)

Bond bracelet and black dial
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    There is one on our very own sales corner ;)

Bond bracelet and black dial
    Thanks for the steer. Being a noob here, I do not have visibility/access to SC, nor will the OP unless he has posted a lot in the recent past or will do so in the near future.
    Last edited by gc52; 7th December 2016 at 22:03.

Journeyman
    I was in a similar situation (although I did previously own a Helberg, not high end though) and bought a Damasko DA38. Haven't got it yet so can't tell you if I'm happy with it or not. I do have a bit or buyers remorse in that the Sinn 856 UTC has caught my eye. Double the price though so I have likely chosen wisely.

Master
    I gather they are not that popular on here but there are clearance Trident diver watches at the Christopher Ward website. There is a decent selection currently. I have one and so far I like it and it seems good quality.

I also have acquired a couple of Steinharts and they are both nice, good quality and look good to my eye.

All in your price range...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    I gather they are not that popular on here but there are clearance Trident diver watches at the Christopher Ward website. There is a decent selection currently. I have one and so far I like it and it seems good quality.

I also have acquired a couple of Steinharts and they are both nice, good quality and look good to my eye.

All in your price range...
    Actually I like the Trident diver which is strange as diver style watches haven't really appealed but maybe they're starting to grow on me. I hadn't come across that brand before so thanks of that.

Master
    Actually I like the Trident diver which is strange as diver style watches haven't really appealed but maybe they're starting to grow on me. I hadn't come across that brand before so thanks of that.
    pleasure. They have Tridents and Malverns on clearance at the moment, so there is a fairly good choice.

I struggled to get any decent discount on Steinhart, but did buy one used off another forum, so that helped.

benwoodroffe
    You can get Nomos sub £1000, particularly if you buy used and aren't in a rush.

Whilst I like Steinharts, Glycines, Oris etc, I think that Seiko is a good place to start, although Citizen are also worth considering.
    Last edited by Timelord; 5th January 2017 at 20:34. Reason: Typo

Master
    The Stowa Marine looks lovely and I think they do one with an Enamel dial. It would lovely on a padded leather brown strap I reckon.
    image hosting free

Master
    I am also new to this forum only just joined (hi) but started out just as you are. My first purchase was a Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus - c. £600 and I love this watch. Next was a Sinn 556i - c. £800 again love this watch. Then I went fireman ball fireman racer DLC £1150 (slightly above your budget) next a Nomos club datum which was double the price of the ball. Lastly I went back to Stowa for a Antea - c. £1000 (top end of your budget). For me it's not the cost as I wear some of the least expensive ones more than the Nomos, it if you like them or not. My collection is all different and I love them all. Therefore do your research and go with what you like.

PS - how do I get to see the watches for sale section on this forum, I'm missing out on my next purchase?

Thanks for the help