closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay watch winder

Ebay watch winder

Hi all

I had the (mis)fortune to be offered a broken watch winder to see if I could fix it.

Its the type that you see on ebay all the time and judging by the location of the sellers I will make a guess here and say they are made in Asia. However I do not know the exact place of manufacture.

They cost about $100 to $150 I guess.

Anyway letthe pixs do the talking...!!!

1. Its a 4 + 6 (winds 4 and place holder for 6). Its an ok finish (18 layers of piano gloss or something like that :D ). The hinge on this one had failed and the lid would not stay open. It has a number of settings: clockwise, anticlockwise blah blah...

2. Inside it has fake suede... Holder for the watches are ok but I would not likt to put two large watches in there as they would not fit side by side.

3. On / off, fuse and mains input

4. Dial for the settings and LED

5. Battery compartment

6. Now the juicy bits, lets take a look inside.

Its not what I was expecting, cables all over the place, and check out that plywood.!

7. Close up of the board, quite simple...

8. Connection to the switch (fore ground) and one motor (background)

9. Check out how the motor shelf is installed...

10. The board

11. Switches (removed)

12. Back of the motor shelf. I was glad that there was a motor for each rotating wheel, I was half expecting one motor for both

13. The sad empty shell

I had a look around this and put it all back together... it still does not work. Mains and battery input tested, fuse checked, but still no go to the old gal.!

It may be a fault to the mother board... who knows..??

I was a bit shocked to see how cheaply it was made (materials and assembly), but what do you expect for $100..??

I will not pipe on about if watch winders are any good or not, thats not todays lesson... however common sense should dictate that you would not be wise to leave a precious watch running 24/7 on a winder for days on end.

Anyway it surplus to requirement if anyone wants it (or part of it for spares).

Thanks
    deano

That really is shoddy construction! :twisted:

Would it be worth contacting the 'maker' to see if they could supply a circuit board?

And what are the batteries for?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Have you had a close look at the underside of the circuit board Dean?

Often, with cheap 'Asian' boards, the soldering isn't up to a good standard, (though the actual components usually are :roll: ), and you'll often find a dry joint or two. A quick dab with a hot soldering iron will often fix things up just fine. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

About two years ago, I purchased that exact watch winder! I think I paid about £100 :shock:

To answer the earlier question about the batteries - you can run the winder on mains supply or use batteries. I used to keep one of the motors running and if I remember rightly, it used to run for quite a while on a set of batteries. I didn't trust the thing to leave it plugged into the mains over a weekend!

To comment on its operation...it worked ok and kept my watches wound. This is handy for divers with screw in crowns or watches without quick set date. I often let my watches run down and was worried that constantly unscrewing a lock down crown would harm the threads. Also, setting a date without quickset can take a very long time.

I was never impressed with the motor torque. The heads do turn, but they seem to labour especially if there is one heavier watch and one lighter watch on the head. For this reason, I always had to put two watches or a self made 'blank' consisting of curtain weights on a NATO band. The motors were also too noisy to leave running over night in the bedroom.

The other pain in the neck was that the cushions didn't accommodate my bracelet watches well. My wrist is small, and they wouldn't fit. I imagine that unless your wrist is the exact same diameter as the cardboard cushions, then the watches will slip around. This meant I had to cut the cushions up straight away to modify them for use.

All in all, it works...but if I was buying again I would buy something from a serious manufacturer such as Orbita. Now I have seen the insides I know I overpaid!!!

Thanks for the pictures...very interesting!

Chris.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My £250 Rapport does not look any better on the inside

And I think you all know what I think about the quality of mine :evil:
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

When I started reading this thread, the thought that the overpriced expensive ones won't be any better popped into mind. After seeing the pics of Ben's Rappaport, I can't say I'm exactly surprised. Are any of these things made in the West? Their expense is a perfect example of the huge gap between perceived value and actual value; much like the Swiss watch industry itself really. :wink:

Re: Ebay watch winder

Well I have always thought I should probably get one - but I'm not convinced now and concerned of the addtional wear on the parts of the mechanicals that stop the watch being over wound.

I understand soem high end (probabyl not better Made :cry: ) models only turn the watch occasionally to simulate actual wear?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Yes the "better ones" have somewhat randomized rotating schedules to prevent overwinding. I have actually considered building my own case / winder, would need someone with "mad analog skills" to do the motor drive circuit though..

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Have a Rapport which threw a spring or two at me recently. Motor runs but watch holder don't turn. Don't know whether to bin it or not.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    Have a Rapport which threw a spring or two at me recently. Motor runs but watch holder don't turn. Don't know whether to bin it or not.
    How old is it Paul?

I believe Rapport use a different, (better?), motor now. They'll fit a new one if you send it back. Depending on how old they may do it for free if you talk to them nicely. Mine was outside warranty, (just), and they fixed it for free when I had exactly the same problem. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    How old is it Paul?

I believe Rapport use a different, (better?), motor now. They'll fit a new one if you send it back. Depending on how old they may do it for free if you talk to them nicely. Mine was outside warranty, (just), and they fixed it for free when I had exactly the same problem. :)
    About 7 yrs Peter, so expect I Have no chance. Seen small ball sized ones cheap somewhere. May look for one.

Or may go for super one i saw. Plugs into PC to let you program rotations, time, everything.
    Paul

How old is it Paul?

About 7 yrs Peter, so expect I Have no chance. Seen small ball sized ones cheap somewhere. May look for one.

Or may go for super one i saw. Plugs into PC to let you program rotations, time, everything.
    Now that sounds neat Paul. :) I love toys like that. :lol:
    Best Regards - Peter

How old is it Paul?

Yup-was in magazine. See if there's a website.
    Paul

Grand Master

Very interesting pictorial review of a Asian winder, but I've been using an MTE winder for several years with no complaints .. although I've never had any reason to take it apart to see how it's put together.

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    ... however common sense should dictate that you would not be wise to leave a precious watch running 24/7 on a winder for days on end.
    Why? I do & have done for many years .. although my winder is turned off at night so it winds my watches for around 15 hours every day ..
    /vince ..

How old is it Paul?

Here's the site

http://www.windmywatch.com/rotolution/site/products.php
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Very interesting pictorial review of a Asian winder, but I've been using an MTE winder for several years with no complaints .. although I've never had any reason to take it apart to see how it's put together.

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    ... however common sense should dictate that you would not be wise to leave a precious watch running 24/7 on a winder for days on end.
    Why? I do & have done for many years .. although my winder is turned off at night so it winds my watches for around 15 hours every day ..
    Hi Vince

Good point, let me explain my thinking:

The more you keep the watch on the winder the more wear it has to the moving parts.
    The more the wear the shorter the times between a service.
    The more you service it the more it costs
    ...common sence would then dictate lets not spends lots of money.

I realise the watch parts are there to be used, but overuse, hmm I see no point.?

I would use a winder like this in conjuction with a timer switch so that the amount of turns per hour/day etc is limited to keep the watch functioning.

Buts that just my view and I'm sure there are a number of views concenring watch winders... :D

Thanks
    deano

Grand Master

Fair points Deano, but surely the watch is better with it's parts moving than not .. but I suppose both options will have pros & cons ..
    /vince ..

I was discussing winders with Eddie yesterday. He said you don't really need one in most respects. Could be true.

However thinking of replacing mine for two reasons.

As mentioned, I was told constantly unscrewing crown on Rolex would weaken it.

Also because of my lack of mobility. Mine stops after 40 or so hrs. So i thought get another to avoid above. Read a lengthy write up about how cheap ones not good for your watch. I would agree, but was it just sales pitch on his side?

http://www.watchcases.com/automaticwat.html

BTW Check out the first three of ones here :shock:

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/
    Paul

BTW Check out the first three of ones here :shock:

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/
    :shock: Indeed!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master

I prefer to handle my watches on a daily basis to just look at them as i wind them into life,i know a nice winder would look nice on the dressing table, but it would have to be something equally as nice as the watches you want to place in it surely.
    just wind them up manually and gently clean your watches before putting them back to bed for the night.

Master

Alwas wondered if i should get one but as somebody states while you re not wearing it,its not getting wear and tear on the parts but leaving them can lead to coagulation of parts ?

Banned

il just go ahead an withdraw my bid on a certain watch winder on t'bay :shock:

Journeyman

Who dare leave that one running, when you are out of the house, fire risk ??

Looks like quite a project :shock:

Master

I bought one of these http://tiny.cc/H3mal
    Its silent and rotates 1 hour in 3. Good for the money, maybe you can use the motors from these.

Journeyman

Its a shame that the quality of the winders is poor on the inside.
    Would rather have one looking fair and a safe mind knowing that it will work a couple of years.
    Anyways, hope you get it working.
    Have a nice day

hi,bought a similar winder a couple of years ago and its still going paid about £50 and it came with a spare motor,
    they cant be confident that it would keep going

Bought one of these was ok at first but now creaks and is quite noisy

Update on mine as thread reopened.

Got another Rapport - rrp £599
    However as a customer already got substantial discount-and i mean substantial.
    Paul

Journeyman

I had been thinking about one of these, not so sure now! Looks like I will be going for a higher priced model.... :(

are the Dulwich ones any good?