closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter tyres... do you bother ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    However, if winter tyres are better in the wet, does that not hold 12 months of the year? So why not drive on them all the time?

PS Is a 'Summer' tyre one of those near slicks some hot hatches have? Surely, most tyres are 'all season' anyway?
    The link I posted above illustrates the trade off between summer, all season and winter tyres.

Master
    back to the original post, 'Winter tyres... do you bother?'

It's a yes for myself & Mrs T. (we live in NE Lincs.)

We bought a spare set of wheels fitted with Winter Tyres about 3 years ago for our Focus,
    Mrs T. does approx 26K miles per year and I thought the cost and peace of mind of having better tyres for the winter months was justified

The Focus on winter Tyres was/is significantly better to drive in cold/wet/icy conditions than on the summer tyres and on another level compared to what I put up with in my MGF
    So much so I've decided to garage the MG this winter, I've taken the Focus and Mrs T. took delivery of a Golf a couple of months ago, a set of Winter wheels and tyres were purchased before the car!

We have Dunlop wintersport 4 on the Focus and 5 on the golf and both have been spot on, decent fuel economy and good wear, we usually fit end of October > March.
    I can honestly say they are a vast improvement when its cold/frosty over the Goodyear efficient grip 'summer' tyres we run

I personally feel it is worth an hour or so changing wheels over twice a year for the difference it makes,

that said, I only do approx 5k per year so when my tyres are shot I'm going to try some Michelin Crossclimate and maybe sell the spare set of wheels

Wow. After 9 pages, dozens of posts and thousands of words, the same posters still seem to be under the illusion that winter tyres are only for snowy conditions.

WINTER TYRES ARE NOT THE SAME AS SNOW TYRES. Is that clear enough? Snow tyres come in various flavours but they all include studs of some sort, either metallic or plastic and ‘retractable’. You will struggle to buy a set of actual snow tyres in the UK. They have the same effect as snow chains or snow socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    They have the same effect as snow chains or snow socks.
    It's really dull down here in Hampshire, no snow settling round my way so no opportunity to stick on the snow socks and have some fun.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It's really dull down here in Hampshire, no snow settling round my way so no opportunity to stick on the snow socks and have some fun.
    Do they do them in a size 12? I fell over the other day and it really hurt my bum.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Do they do them in a size 12? I fell over the other day and it really hurt my bum.
    I've always wondered if chef's boots are winter tyres for the feet?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    back to the original post, 'Winter tyres... do you bother?'

It's a yes for myself & Mrs T. (we live in NE Lincs.)

We bought a spare set of wheels fitted with Winter Tyres about 3 years ago for our Focus,
    Mrs T. does approx 26K miles per year and I thought the cost and peace of mind of having better tyres for the winter months was justified

The Focus on winter Tyres was/is significantly better to drive in cold/wet/icy conditions than on the summer tyres and on another level compared to what I put up with in my MGF
    So much so I've decided to garage the MG this winter, I've taken the Focus and Mrs T. took delivery of a Golf a couple of months ago, a set of Winter wheels and tyres were purchased before the car!

We have Dunlop wintersport 4 on the Focus and 5 on the golf and both have been spot on, decent fuel economy and good wear, we usually fit end of October > March.
    I can honestly say they are a vast improvement when its cold/frosty over the Goodyear efficient grip 'summer' tyres we run

I personally feel it is worth an hour or so changing wheels over twice a year for the difference it makes,

that said, I only do approx 5k per year so when my tyres are shot I'm going to try some Michelin Crossclimate and maybe sell the spare set of wheels
    I run Michelin X Climates all year round. Two years and appx 28,000 miles and they are still at 6 mm

Very pleased with them, just these last few days in Birmingham with 20 cm of snow and slush they have been faultless.

Even on the packed snow / ice they get some traction but other than studs or chains ice will defeat most tyres.

Biggest side advantage is the way they handle standing water , when other cars are skittish, the X climates provide a real good feedback.

See my previous post for a highly-scientific comparison of all-season vs winter tyres!

I can confirm that the Subaru on winter tyres coped with snow, ice and slush with impeccable ease this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've always wondered if chef's boots are winter tyres for the feet?
    You mean the Birkenstock clogs? More suited to hipsters who buy their watches from Hoodonkey imo.

Master
    I’m running M&S marked Michelin Cross Climate + tyres, which I think are ideal for British winters which are mostly cold and wet.

They perform at 90% of a full winter tyre on snow/ice, but out perform standard tyres significantly in cold and wet braking and handling aspects.

It’s almost like they were designed for the UK.

Master
    Winter tyres are for snowflakes.

**UK Weather⚠️warning**

drivers are advised not to travel in the south, if you live up north just put your big coat on.

Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’m running M&S marked Michelin Cross Climate + tyres, which I think are ideal for British winters which are mostly cold and wet.

They perform at 90% of a full winter tyre on snow/ice, but out perform standard tyres significantly in cold and wet braking and handling aspects.

It’s almost like they were designed for the UK.
    Do you leave them on all year or swop back to Summers after Winter? I'm thinking running these all year could be the way forward.

Master
    I use Michelin cross climates all year round as got bit fed up with hassle/expense of swapping over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Do you leave them on all year or swop back to Summers after Winter? I'm thinking running these all year could be the way forward.
    I’m running the cross climates on a set of steel wheels, so switch them back to the alloys once the winter is over.

I do know some folks who run them all year round without issues though, they’re a good sumner tyre as well, quite remarkable really.

Craftsman
    We’ve got Cooper Weathermasters (which can be studded) on our Range Rover and intend to leave them on all year.

Master
    I leave my Cooper AT’s on the Jeep all year round..... it spends most of its time up to its axles in mud anyway...

Master

Michelin Cross Climate +

Lots of love for Cross Climates on here. Do they have any downsides?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Not that I've come across. I switched the Saab to Crossclimates in the summer and they improved the handling in good weather (compared to the mid tier mix of summers that were on it, that is). I'd say they're 90% as good as a good summer tyre and 90% as good as a good winter tyre. Saab is 290bhp FWD, too, so a reasonable test.

Most all weather tyres start life as a winter tyre, but are modified to suit a broader variety of conditions, so typically are not great in summer, especially for spirited driving.

Crossclimates start life as a summer tyre but are adapted to work in winter, too... The difference appears to be significant and they are now my default tyre of choice on all my cars (except one which only ever comes out when the sun is shining)

Not great for track days ? Seriously though I use the motorbike equivalent and it is only track days or very hard road riding that people get an advantage using more extreme rubber that wears out three times as fast and I have even known someone use them on a track day.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Lots of snow in East Manchester tonight...you know what I’m going to say....Subarus and winter tyres make easy work of it!

(It was actually some of the iciest snow I’ve driven in, I managed a four wheel slide under power....in a large abandoned car park I add!

I did smile when I saw a 5.0L mustang abandoned at the bottoms of the steepest hill in the area - a wise move!)

Nah...the sunshine doesn't accumulate enough in San Diego to warrant them.

I spent 5 hours in my car yesterday doing 20 miles total then had to abandon it and walk a mile to home. I think some winters are in order.

Not even attempting to go to work today though.

These come highly recommended

Fas est ab hoste doceri

The downside is that they do them in a relatively small range of sizes. Unless I've misread, there's very little available for 18", and nothing above that.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The downside is that they do them in a relatively small range of sizes. Unless I've misread, there's very little available for 18", and nothing above that.
    Seems a bit strange as they seem most suited to sportier cars - They don't seem to do 225/40R18 for the Golf (Although it'll probably be gone before I need new tyres!)

M

Seems a bit strange as they seem most suited to sportier cars - They don't seem to do 225/40R18 for the Golf (Although it'll probably be gone before I need new tyres!)

M
    https://www.tyres.net/all-tyres/car/...ort=popularity
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

M
    I think the UK is a bit "unique" in that we get bad enough to make cross climates useful but not so bad as to make winter tyres "essential". Therefore they probably see the market as smaller cars as in most countries someone with a sportier car would either not need them or have to have winter tyres so for much of the market they would be seen as too much of a compromise when have bought a sports car for a reason.

I do agree it is a pity they don't come in a wider range of sizes as I think many have bought sporty cars for the looks not the ultimate adhesion and so cross-cliamtes would be a great solution and add to road safety.

OK, I guess the people I looked at don't supply all the sizes...

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I think the UK is a bit "unique" in that we get bad enough to make cross climates useful but not so bad as to make winter tyres "essential". Therefore they probably see the market as smaller cars as in most countries someone with a sportier car would either not need them or have to have winter tyres so for much of the market they would be seen as too much of a compromise when have bought a sports car for a reason.

I do agree it is a pity they don't come in a wider range of sizes as I think many have bought sporty cars for the looks not the ultimate adhesion and so cross-cliamtes would be a great solution and add to road safety.
    Perhaps that will change as Winter Tyres become more popular?

Proper Winter tyres still seem like overkill for much of England, but I can see the value of something in between, like these, all year.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th January 2018 at 12:16.

Master
    I bought my last set from Reifen in Germany who stock a wide range of tyres including the Cross Climates in the size you want:
    https://www.reifen.com/en/TyreSize/L...ngedByNutzart=
    Delivery to your door is around €20 for four tyres.

OK, I guess the people I looked at don't supply all the sizes...

Perhaps that will change as Winter Tyres become more popular?

Proper Winter tyres still seem like overkill for much of England, but I can see the value of something in between, like these, all year.

M
    If you don't want the bother of changing tyres twice a year and are prepared to sacrifice some of the summer and winter grip. I do agree cross climates make huge sense for most people and I have encouraged my family to fit them when changing tyres. Without re-igniting the winter tyre debate they are considered better at below 7 degrees and in the heavy rain - I have been very glad for them this winter and live on the South Coast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you don't want the bother of changing tyres twice a year and are prepared to sacrifice some of the summer and winter grip. I do agree cross climates make huge sense for most people and I have encouraged my family to fit them when changing tyres. Without re-igniting the winter tyre debate they are considered better at below 7 degrees and in the heavy rain - I have been very glad for them this winter and live on the South Coast.

I would have them like a shot rather then swapping between Summers and Winters but I also value the safety and convenience of RFTs and sadly Cross climates aren't yet avaialbe in 225/40 R18 as an RFT, no idea if they make them as RFTs in other sizes.

They have seemingly released an upgraded version, Crossclimate Plus, which claims better snow traction, looks like this will gradually replace the V1 tyre.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...imate-Plus.htm

Craftsman
    Installed a full set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Weather tyres in the autumn and immediately felt an improvement in comfort over the previous Hankook summer tyres. Used them the first time today in proper snow (Glasgow) and they worked a dream! Still took me 3 times longer to get to work though as too many cars with low profile wide tyres were getting stuck on the mildest of inclines!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Lots of snow in East Manchester tonight...you know what I’m going to say....Subarus and winter tyres make easy work of it!

(It was actually some of the iciest snow I’ve driven in, I managed a four wheel slide under power....in a large abandoned car park I add!

I did smile when I saw a 5.0L mustang abandoned at the bottoms of the steepest hill in the area - a wise move!)
    Somehow I managed to drive the RX-8 back from Leeds, over the moors, on Summer tyres.
    Took forever, but was fun.
    Still would recommend winter tyres though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I would have them like a shot rather then swapping between Summers and Winters but I also value the safety and convenience of RFTs and sadly Cross climates aren't yet avaialbe in 225/40 R18 as an RFT, no idea if they make them as RFTs in other sizes.

They have seemingly released an upgraded version, Crossclimate Plus, which claims better snow traction, looks like this will gradually replace the V1 tyre.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...imate-Plus.htm
    I’ve had the original CrossClimates on a RWD BMW a couple of years ago and I was impressed.

I’ve had a set of CrossClimate Plus tyres on my Golf GTE since early November and I’m impressed again. Looking at the reviews, the CC+ is better than a lot of dedicated snow tyres in snow, and much better in the dry and wet than most summer tyres, so you’re not giving much away if at all.

Mine are on a set of 16” steel wheels which adds the benefit of being more pothole proof than the 18” alloys I run outside of winter.

Journeyman
    I just use a good tyre like Bridgestone and tend to find they are fine all year round

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    I just use a good tyre like Bridgestone and tend to find they are fine all year round
    If you are talking about a summer tyre like the Turanza, RE050A or S001 then I beg to differ, they are not. They are rubbish in v cold weather along with all other summer tyres.

Journeyman
    If you are talking about a summer tyre like the Turanza, RE050A or S001 then I beg to differ, they are not. They are rubbish in v cold weather along with all other summer tyres.
    Yeah the RE050 , Never had any real problems . But I don't go doing any back road rally's in the ice.

I have michelin pilot super sports fitted and they are embarrassingly bad in anything other than warm, dry weather. So I agree with you.

Journeyman
    On the other hand I have cheapy nangkangs on my daily runaround and can hammer it around all year without issue. I guess it greatly depends on the car as well

Master
    Lots of 4x4's just run winter tyres all year round. I've done It for years and never an issue.

Journeyman
    A car I imported came on snow tyres in the middle of summer , I noticed faster wear but grip was great

Master
    Loved my cross climates today going up a 25% snow covered hill. Whilst they are not true winter tyres the grip and braking provides more assurance in these few snowy days.

Biggest concern is other folks slipping into you when you brake, since on X climates you will stop in a shorter distance.

Been on about two years now and done over 20,000 miles. Still on 6.5 mm tread��

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I have michelin pilot super sports fitted and they are embarrassingly bad in anything other than warm, dry weather. So I agree with you.

Have the same tyres fitted to my car and have to agree, yesterday in the snow they were abysmal, May need to bite the bullet and put a winter set on come November.

I have Nokian winter tyres on my Volvo XC60 and I leave them on all year round. (I think they are marked as "All Weather"?) I've driven in the south of France in August and not noticed any handling issues. They have lasted a lot longer than the previous standard fitment summer tyres as well.

For the Seat Mii school-run car, I have a set of Nokian winter tyres on a separate set of steel wheels and swap them over myself (October and Easter, as I believe the Germans say). We might lot get much snow in the south-east but lots of mornings are quite icy and I much prefer the extra security of the winter tyres.

I kind of understand why people say they have been driving 30 years and never needed them drive to the conditions, etc. But that ignores that "summer" tyres these days are quite different from the tyres that were around 30 years ago - they tend to be much wider and lower profile, and the compound is aimed at minimising rolling resistance to increase fuel economy. Whenever there is snow (not just in the south-east but up north where I'm originally from) the roads grind to a halt. So driving to the conditions seems to work just fine until it doesn't.

When the Nokians do wear out, I might put Cross Climates on next. They seem like a better compromise for the south-east without the faff of changing tyres twice a year. But, then again, the Nokians have worn well so I might just stick with what I know works.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I’ve got 20” winters

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I’ve got 20” winters

They were talking specifically about Michelin Crossclimate all-season tyres. Possibly the ideal tyre for all year UK use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    I have Nokian winter tyres on my Volvo XC60 and I leave them on all year round. (I think they are marked as "All Weather"?) I've driven in the south of France in August and not noticed any handling issues. They have lasted a lot longer than the previous standard fitment summer tyres as well.

For the Seat Mii school-run car, I have a set of Nokian winter tyres on a separate set of steel wheels and swap them over myself (October and Easter, as I believe the Germans say). We might lot get much snow in the south-east but lots of mornings are quite icy and I much prefer the extra security of the winter tyres.

I kind of understand why people say they have been driving 30 years and never needed them drive to the conditions, etc. But that ignores that "summer" tyres these days are quite different from the tyres that were around 30 years ago - they tend to be much wider and lower profile, and the compound is aimed at minimising rolling resistance to increase fuel economy. Whenever there is snow (not just in the south-east but up north where I'm originally from) the roads grind to a halt. So driving to the conditions seems to work just fine until it doesn't.

When the Nokians do wear out, I might put Cross Climates on next. They seem like a better compromise for the south-east without the faff of changing tyres twice a year. But, then again, the Nokians have worn well so I might just stick with what I know works.
    The cross climates have lasted well for me similar to yourself I waited until my winters had died and took a punt to save doing the swap over I’ve been very pleased with them just over 10k and they still look new so fingers crossed, and they’ve been superb in the recent snow not quite as good as the vredestiens (sp) full on winters I had but I’ve had no issues at all and I’ll be buying the same again next time .

Master
    I've been a winter tyre convert for a few years now, worth every penny and slight hassle to just be able to get where you want to go when it snows. Plus extra piece of mind when the Mrs is out with the kids in the car.

Michelin Crossclimate are a great compromise, had them on a car for a couple of years but sadly don't do them in 215 45 16 for our latest car.

Craftsman
    I put Vredstein Quatrac 5 all-season tyres on my Skoda Kodiak when I got it in October. Yesterday was the first chance I had to try them out in properly on snow. They're excellent! Up a 20% gradient with about 4" of snow and had loads of grip, even when I was deliberately flooring the accelerator.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app