closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Winter tyres... do you bother ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I think I need a set of winter tyres and wheels.

My E350 is terrible as soon as the weather forecast even mentions a bad frost!!
    Before being a parent I had extra set of wheels with full winter tyres on a 305bhp rwd 2 seater. Never had any problems in any weather. Storage of the unused wheels is a bit of a pain tho.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Paul, tell that to millions of people living in countries that actually have winter and snow for at least 3-4 month, they'll laugh at you.

Any modern car with proper tires is a correct tool for a job in snow.
    Absolutely. My winter tyres are on a BMW M3 and it eats up the snowy conditions. Other car is BMW Z4M (so same engine/chassis as the M3) with normal tyres and it is laughable in snow!

Master
    I use one of these for storing sets of wheels not in use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Whe.../dp/B00KQOJUY2

Allows ventilation to get around them and avoids flat spots. Then it's just a case of where to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Possibly the best winter car ever... if only they had known how to kill the rust fungus.

- narrow tyres
    - FWD
    - air-cooled flat four engine
    - hydropneumatic, self levelling suspension with the ability to change the ride height.
    - fabulous road holding and brakes (before ABS)
    My dad reckons the best car he has ever driven in the snow is my mum's 15 year old Nissan Micra. Since last winter he's been bragging about towing a Disco out of a lane with it.

Master
    I’ve been phoning around this morning trying to source some winter tyres for my taxi and having no luck at all in my sizes (235/45/18) but I’ve noticed a few places local to me that do have stock in slightly different sizes (225/45/18)
    Would that 10mm difference make a difference?
    I’m clueless about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve been phoning around this morning trying to source some winter tyres for my taxi and having no luck at all in my sizes (235/45/18) but I’ve noticed a few places local to me that do have stock in slightly different sizes (225/45/18)
    I'd wait till next winter TBH. You've managed till now (presumably) - will give more time to look around.

Craftsman
    that would be fine.

checkout this upsizing calculator to see the exact difference it would make

http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I use one of these for storing sets of wheels not in use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Whe.../dp/B00KQOJUY2

Allows ventilation to get around them and avoids flat spots. Then it's just a case of where to put it.
    Thanks for the link, too late to get winter tyres this year but I may just buy that and keep it till I need it.

I'm sure there are tables online or the tyre fitter should know. In theory going down 10mm on width should make no difference, but the profile/aspect ratio may have to be increased very slightly to keep the rolling radius the same so you may well need a 225 50 18, but TBH the 5% difference between a 235 and 225 is next to nothing. Best check to be sure.

There are tyre selling websites that take your registration plate and once you’ve selected winter tell you the size best suited for your car. On my mobile so not easy to search which, sorry.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I'm sure there are tables online or the tyre fitter should know. In theory going down 10mm on width should make no difference, but the profile/aspect ratio may have to be increased very slightly to keep the rolling radius the same so you may well need a 225 50 18, but TBH the 5% difference between a 235 and 225 is next to nothing. Best check to be sure.
    Yep, I wouldn't worry about a CM, to be honest.

Your speedy will read slightly off (if it's gearbox driven - Do they still work like that?), but only very, very slightly, so it's not worth worrying about.

Probably worth double checking the size is approved by the manufacturer for your car, though, as the insurers may play hard ball if not and you make a claim.

M

If you do go for winter tyres your best bet really is a second set of wheels and tyres; as long as you can store said spares
    Thats the problem, I can't store them and I suspect thats the issue for many people.

plus living inside the m25 means the number of days they were needed rather than necessary are few and far between.

3 snowy days this year and thats the first for 5 or 6 years, its wasn't even a very cold winter last year.

Master
    The storage could be an issue for many people. The cost should be less of a factor as when you are running on the winter tyres you are saving wear on the others.
    And how much would a fault accident cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    The storage could be an issue for many people. The cost should be less of a factor as when you are running on the winter tyres you are saving wear on the others.
    And how much would a fault accident cost you?
    That’s how I look at it. I paid £800 for a set of wheels fitted with Continental Winter Contacts, they’ll reduce wear on my Pilot Sports by a quarter and when I come to sell the car I’ll likely get £500 for the wheels. That £300 is less than my insurance excess. They totally transform my car even when it is just wet rather than snowy.

When the snow is so bad, like today and yesterday, I just stay at home because this risk of some clown crashing into me is high regardless of my tyre choice.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 1st March 2018 at 13:57.

Blog Entries
    This bus driver's showing off his almost-physics-defying skills in this vid - I bet the car driver wasn't on Winter tyres!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scot...r-in-edinburgh

Master
    Bloody hell that bus driver must be the ghost of Colin McRae. What was the other clown doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Bloody hell that bus driver must be the ghost of Colin McRae. What was the other clown doing?
    I'm not sure but it was probably brown. It's a bit tricky to judge from the video but one wonders if the bus driver's speed was entirely appropriate.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    I am so glad that I put cross climates on the front of the fwd family estate. It's remarkable how good that they have been. It would be easy to get over confident on corners.
    Thoroughly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob N View Post
    I am so glad that I put cross climates on the front of the fwd family estate. It's remarkable how good that they have been. It would be easy to get over confident on corners.
    Thoroughly recommended.
    rule of the thumb - don't put winter tyres on FWD only on front. Either on back or on all wheels.

don't ask me how I know :D

Quote Originally Posted by Rob N View Post
    Thoroughly recommended.
    This is not thoroughly recommended and is downright dangerous, it goes against all advice by tyre manufactures, you are asking for the rear to overtake the front with front grip bias like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    rule of the thumb - don't put winter tyres on FWD only on front. Either on back or on all wheels.

don't ask me how I know :D
    What could somebody from Latvia teach us about winter tyres that we don't already know .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

What's the value of putting winter tyres only on undriven wheels?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    What could somebody from Latvia teach us about winter tyres that we don't already know .
    oh, what do I know, we live in the woods and eat potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    What's the value of putting winter tyres only on undriven wheels?

M

you want tyhe best grip on the back, unless you're a bit handy you'll catch a skid on the front wheels much easier than if the back go.

If you're buying 2 normal tyres for the front most places will rotate them onto the back putting the old rears on the front.

Craftsman
    "When the snow is so bad, like today and yesterday, I just stay at home because this risk of some clown crashing into me is high regardless of my tyre choice."
    Whilst I agree with this, having winter tyres does give you a "sporting" chance of avoiding clowns, anyway their doors will probably fall off first Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    you want tyhe best grip on the back, unless you're a bit handy you'll catch a skid on the front wheels much easier than if the back go.

If you're buying 2 normal tyres for the front most places will rotate them onto the back putting the old rears on the front.
    Mmmm - I see the theory, but does it really work with no traction?

I lived in Germany one winter and had snow tyres on the front only (no-one advised me not to) - Once or twice the tail slid a bit, but the main issue was lack of traction and steering with the standard tyres.

From that experience, I'd say you're much more likely to understeer off the road with standards on the front and snows on the back, than spin with them the other way 'round, unless you're driving too fast...

I'd say if you decide you need winter tyres (and I won't open that can of worms again ) you need 4, 2 isn't a good option.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st March 2018 at 17:20.

In a clear area I just gave my Audi A3 FWD some beans with a set of winter tyres over a mix of fresh snow and thick slush and it gripped really well, best bit though was it stopped really well..

I believe the hype now about winter tyres

Yes. You can get a hefty fine in Germany (and potentially much bigger problems) when you're not driving with the appropriate tyres for the weather conditions. So I have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Yes. You can get a hefty fine in Germany.
    The proper way to do it. With the added benefits that they get caught every time they are involved in an accident regardless of responsibilities (doesn’t shift the blame, just get the fine). Insurances could also take a stance. It’s not just for snow, it’s for cold and wet.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Whilst I don't think it's fair to insist on winter tyres in the UK, since the weather conditions don't warrant it every year, I think it is reasonable to insist that if you don't have an adequately equipped vehicle when they are required, you must leave it at home. It's already the case that towns and cities are gearing up to ban certain diesel cars on high pollution days so should be doable, and enforcement is, if there an accident or problem like stranding,driver is liable. I do fit winter tyres, and yet I'm always stuck behind some idiot either doing 3 miles an hour, being overtaken by another idiot doing 50, or having to go around because a gentle slope is filled with abandoned cars.

Also, same for trucks. I'm not a truck driver and I'm sure that trucks continue to move in countries where snow/ice prevails, but over here it seems that at the first sign of snow every major road and motorway in the country is blocked by jack-knifed trucks. Sames holds - if a road is blocked by a truck, which isn't using whatever trucks need to move in snow, truck is liable.

I have a on demand 4WD on all season Falkena. Last sniw they were excellent. Still good, but went a right turn a bit fast and did skid but controlled it. Front wheels were almost 60 degrees to right when turning at about 25mph so obviously going to do that, laws of physics if backs are straight on. Was more careful no prblems after that.
    Last edited by Ventura; 1st March 2018 at 20:59.

Craftsman
    Vredstein Quatrac all-season tyres with 4WD were brilliant today. Snow was 10" deep in places. It I had to go out to get an urgent prescription. Up and down steep hills with no drama at all. Then I had to help push another car to get it moving in a completely flat car park.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Regardless of what you are driving, on what tyres, it’s wild out there tonight so stay safe and only drive if you really need to.

(Erm...I’m just back in as I had a craving for eggs!)

I’m not a high mileage driver, and live within walking distance from work - and until this thread I didn’t for a second imagine people fitted winter tyres. Not even sure I knew they existed. But in 30 years of driving I’ve never found driving in snow or ice particularly worrying, and I leave the car at home for the very rare days when it snows. In the last few days I’ve driven our 1 litre fiesta and Volvo XC60 (neither on winter tyres) on pretty icy roads in North Norfolk with no drama, and most of my colleagues have driven through dreadful conditions in old hatchbacks and had no issues. I’m sure if you drive a performance car and have money to burn it’s sensible, but I feel like I’m on a different planet when I read many of the comments - we have such mild weather I can’t imagine why you’d bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not a high mileage driver, and live within walking distance from work - and until this thread I didn’t for a second imagine people fitted winter tyres. Not even sure I knew they existed. But in 30 years of driving I’ve never found driving in snow or ice particularly worrying, and I leave the car at home for the very rare days when it snows. In the last few days I’ve driven our 1 litre fiesta and Volvo XC60 (neither on winter tyres) on pretty icy roads in North Norfolk with no drama, and most of my colleagues have driven through dreadful conditions in old hatchbacks and had no issues. I’m sure if you drive a performance car and have money to burn it’s sensible, but I feel like I’m on a different planet when I read many of the comments - we have such mild weather I can’t imagine why you’d bother

I can imagine why. I experienced the consequence of others not having appropriate tyres for the weather tonight when my 25 min journey home took nearly 3 hours since a couple of muppets in hatchbacks on summer tyres gave up and left them in the middle lane of Highgate Middleway causing near gridlock. This is why many of us get a bit narked at the 'why should I bother' or ' I am a superior driver, I don't need them' sort of nonsense. Obviously if you don't need to drive then all is well, but if you do...
    Last edited by Padders; 1st March 2018 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Whilst I don't think it's fair to insist on winter tyres in the UK, since the weather conditions don't warrant it every year, I think it is reasonable to insist that if you don't have an adequately equipped vehicle when they are required, you must leave it at home.
    Just to be clear; German law also only requires you to have the proper tyres for the circumstances.

If the police finds that you caused a dangerous situation by driving on summer tyres in winter conditions, it can cost you up to €100, and more important, a point against your driving licence.

When you are in an accident, and it turns out your tyres were not suitable for the weather, then the consequences can be bigger. Even when the other party caused the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I can imagine why. I experienced the consequence of others not having appropriate tyres for the weather tonight when my 25 min journey home took nearly 3 hours since a couple of muppets in hatchbacks on summer tyres gave up and left them in the middle lane of Highgate Middleway causing near gridlock.
    Well, I guess the blunt answer is I don’t bother with winter tyres because I rarely encounter that kind of weather and when I do I don’t drive any distance. I’ve never had to abandon a car or held up traffic either. I’m sure I’d fit them if I had to commute any real distance - but can’t imagine bothering for 5 miles use every 3 years. Sounds like they should be a legal requirement if summer tyres are so useless?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    “... I feel like I’m on a different planet when I read many of the comments - we have such mild weather I can’t imagine why you’d bother”
    Erm have you been outside in the last 24 hours? It is treacherous out there tonight.

Oops, hadn’t read the earlier reply. As an aside, I’ve been driving for 30 years or so, don’t think I’m a brilliant driver, but drive within my capabilities and don’t really have much interest in cars. I don’t buy car magazines but always check tyre pressures, fluids etc and vaguely enjoy watching the odd car tv programme. But I never had a clue there was even such a thing as a winter tyre in the uk. Maybe if I had I might have considered the option. But I suspect 99% of drivers clogging up the icy roads of Britain don’t even know they exist - why aren’t there adverts on tv telling me how rubbish my summer tyres are?

Vredestein Wintrac Extremes fitted to my XC60 AWD - a very useful combination today. I fit winter tyres every year as I drive to the Alps during the winter to areas where they are mandatory. Usually for the UK they are just a bit of extra safety on cold wet days. Today they were a bit more than that. I was called on to give a few people lifts as we have a big hill to get out of our village that 2wd cars with summer tyres were struggling to get up.

Master
    Just out of curiosity I took my Merc out for a run around the block this evening to see how it would cope with the hill next to my house and it was frankly disappointing. Yes other cars were struggling (most failing) to come up the hill and I honestly thought, based on using winter tyres before, admittedly on a FWD car, that I would fly up the hill. I didn’t. While I got higher than most I still had to turn across my street as I could not make it up the hill to my drive at the top of my garden.
    I’m hoping it was down to the fact that while there WAS snow on the ground it was not a lot and it was very fine snow. I’m really hoping that with extra snow on the ground the tyre will get more purchase in the soft but deeper snow and therefor more grip.
    I guess tomorrow will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    fine. for the few days a year whats the point? the op asked do you bother, i dont. if you do then great.

Gosh some people are stubborn...winter tyres work better than summer tyres when the temperature is below 7 degrees c.

I have found mine very useful this year - particularly so last night when I had to drive in the snow past a lot of abandoned cars to get home. The TC light lit once on a 15 mike journey.

IMG_1115.JPG

[IMG]12964[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by MB2; 5th March 2018 at 12:27.

Master
    I have to travel about 100 Miles back from Heathrow tonight (hopefully if we actually land!) and I have a 4wD very high power sports car. I am very glad I put 4 top end winter tyres on a couple of months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I have to travel about 100 Miles back from Heathrow tonight (hopefully if we actually land!) and I have a 4wD very high power sports car. I am very glad I put 4 top end winter tyres on a couple of months ago!

Good luck ! I was diverted to Birmingham. Covered the last 10 Miles in 25 minutes never been more glad I had winters on my car. Especially as queue of stuck cars unable to move so simply u turned and went another way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had 3 experiences yesterday of driving in this weather,
    First thing we had to collect a 2 year old Disco 4- standard road tyres with 7mm tread
    Drop back an old Nissan x-trail with standard tyres to a customer all new tyres.
    Drive home in our 1988 LR 90 with the standard 7.50-16 winter//off road tyres on.

The D4 felt very light on the front end and it wouldn't have taken much to stuff it in to a hedge.i wasn't happy driving it back on the country roads however it was the best option as vastly less traffic around.

There is a slight incline leaving our yard and the Nissan was all over the place going up it, couldn't even contemplate using much throttle as it was just spinning out. Chugged up in 3rd low revs but was aware the car was again not happy and it wouldn't have taken much to stuff it somewhere.

In contrast, our old LR 90 was as sure footed as a mountain goat. At no point did it feel unsafe or lost traction, braking and steering was fine.

Given the 3 journeys I know what I'd rather have in this weather- old technology decent winter tyres and 30 years driving experience. Driving experience alone is simply not enough to get you out of trouble or keep you safe when it's like this. I would rather do 200 miles in our old Defender than 10 miles in the new D4 despite all of its modern tech and capabilities. Stick winter tyres on it and it would have been a different story altogether.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd March 2018 at 06:28.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Vredstein Quatrac all-season tyres with 4WD were brilliant today. Snow was 10" deep in places. It I had to go out to get an urgent prescription.
    I’ve had Quatrac all-season tyres and found them brilliant too. I think there’s a good argument that all-season tyres are ideal for the UK: they work well in summer, add safety margin in typical British autumn/winter weather, and grip in snow too. Also, all-season tyres save the cost/hassle of changing between summer and winter tyres.

FFF - similar with our Discovery, the standard tyres are mud & snow rates (m&s on tyre side wall) but don’t have the winter ‘alpine peak’ symbol. It is fairly decent in the snow, but nowhere near as sure footed as my Subaru on proper winter tyres.

Craftsman
    I've never bothered.

Live on pretty much main roads with decent access to the motorway network

Work just off the motorway at the other end

Dan.

Sat at home as he can't get off the estate this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Winter tyres will make it very driveable. Remember that in Germany winter tyres are a legal requirement.
    i'll be buying a set come autumn
    Decision made

I have had various winter tyres over the years on various cars. Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Alpins, but currently I went a bit lower end and bought Falken Euro Winter HS01's at the recommendation of my Tyre fitter. They have been superb in the snow, but feel better than the OEM tyres in normal wet weather; even when over 8C and I've not noticed any major difference even in the dry cold or mild. They seem a great all rounder at sensible money; it just remains to be seem how they wear.

Well worth a punt I reckon.

Having driven in many French, Austrian and Swiss Ski resorts I wouldn't be without a set, but even in the UK between late November and April they are worth having. What price do you put on your families safety after all?