closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Timer

Craftsman

Smiths Timer

Putting this here as it's not a watch or a clock.

Picked up this Smiths timer, have no need for it but I just liked it!

It's marked as manufactured by English Clock Systems on the back. It's got a lovely slow tick.

It works well and resets cleanly but I'm going to strip this down for a gentle clean and polish.

Does anyone know a rough age? I'm thinking 60's as still marked as Made in England. I see them described as darkroom timers?

Thanks

Journeyman
    Smiths English Clocks was a company formed in 1931 and traded until 1955 when it became Smiths Clocks and Watches. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Craftsman
    Thanks. Maybe bit earlier than I thought. It's all cleaned up now. Will take a daylight picture tomorrow

I believe your model was produced from about the late forties or early fifties to the early sixties and predated the one I have which has a central minute hand instead of a sub register. I believe the one I have was produced from the early sixties until production ceased. They were extensively used in schools, I remember using the model I have for timing various experiments in science lessons back in the seventies. Information on these timers is very sparse!

I still use mine every day, I do a set routine of exercises every morning and time myself on the timer, as you can see this morning it took me 28 minutes and 5 seconds to complete. This is about average but my record is 24 minutes and 27 seconds and I'd never know that without my trusty Smiths timer!

Craftsman
    That's really interesting thanks. Good to see yours still in use. They are a good size and easy to read.

I'm pretty sure I used this type of timer at school, in the seventies.

Smiths timers were indeed commonly used in darkrooms and schools. The early 120 minute interval timer on the left and the more recent one on the right feature an alarm, and count down to zero from the position the hands are set to at the start. The model in the centre measures elapsed time, counting forwards like a stopwatch. I rather like the sub-minute dial of your model, I may need to look out for one!

Craftsman
    Nice collection you have there.

Mine did clean up quite nicely and I did a partial strip down internally to oil the balance. I quite often just leave it ticking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Smiths timers were indeed commonly used in darkrooms and schools. The early 120 minute interval timer on the left and the more recent one on the right feature an alarm, and count down to zero from the position the hands are set to at the start. The model in the centre measures elapsed time, counting forwards like a stopwatch. I rather like the sub-minute dial of your model, I may need to look out for one!

The model in the middle was still in use in my school in the mid 1980s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk