closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Q: Modding a Seiko to improve wr

Q: Modding a Seiko to improve wr

Hope this isn't a stupid question. Is it possible to upgrade the 30m wr of a Seiko 5 with new seals etc. or new stem and crown? Case ref is 7S26-03T0. I'd probably be looking to upgrade the movement to NH36 too.

Craftsman
    The amount of work required would probably turn out cheaper to buy a case with higher WR. You would need to fit a threaded crown tube (assuming it is just push in at the moment) to the case somehow, machine the case to fit seals, possibly change the case back and crystal mounting arrangements and that's just off the top of my head.

Sent from my S7

I see. Thanks.

Craftsman
    I could be wrong but I think it would be quite a massive undertaking.

Sent from my S7

Grand Master
    Why would you want to?

Provided the watch is still waterproof to 30m it's going to be fine for most activities. If it was originally rated to 30m but now leaks at substantially lower pressure that's a different issue.

I tested my Seiko 5 (rated to 30m) and it started to leak around the glass seal at 4bar..... plenty good enough for what I use it for.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why would you want to?

Provided the watch is still waterproof to 30m it's going to be fine for most activities. If it was originally rated to 30m but now leaks at substantially lower pressure that's a different issue.

I tested my Seiko 5 (rated to 30m) and it started to leak around the glass seal at 4bar..... plenty good enough for what I use it for.

Paul
    It's a new watch so seals should be fine.

As it's a daily wearer I'd just like the added security of higher wr just in case I forget I'm wearing it... I've been used to swimming with previous higher-rated daily wearers.

Master
    I've been used to swimming with previous higher-rated daily wearers
    you won't be swimming anywhere near 30m though will you, I would have thought a 30m watch would be good for 10m, 'normal' swimming depths should be fine

If it helps at all, I have a standard Seiko 5 that I've used as my holiday watch for the last few years. I swim, sit in the sun, whatever and it's been fine. The watch cost the same as the battery change and pressure test on my diver so not the end of the world if it fails although I hope it doesn't. I'm quite happy using the Seiko for the usual holiday stuff.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    It's a new watch so seals should be fine.

As it's a daily wearer I'd just like the added security of higher wr just in case I forget I'm wearing it... I've been used to swimming with previous higher-rated daily wearers.
    Suggest you give this some thought; just because 30 is a smaller number than 50 or 100 doesn`t mean the watch isn`t fit for what you're subjecting it to! I`m sure it'll stand up to the odd immersion or two. as I said earlier, problems arise with age, when seals have deteriorated. Crown seals are the usual culprit, although I've just replaced the caseback seal on my 14 year old Rolex Datejust and I was surprised to see how it had started cracking and ageing. Crown seals wear as the crown is rotated, but that only happens over an extended period.

The water resistance is governed by the case design and the construction, it isn`t all about the seals, but if the seals are fine I can`t see you having any problems.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Suggest you give this some thought; just because 30 is a smaller number than 50 or 100 doesn`t mean the watch isn`t fit for what you're subjecting it to! I`m sure it'll stand up to the odd immersion or two. as I said earlier, problems arise with age, when seals have deteriorated. Crown seals are the usual culprit, although I've just replaced the caseback seal on my 14 year old Rolex Datejust and I was surprised to see how it had started cracking and ageing. Crown seals wear as the crown is rotated, but that only happens over an extended period.

The water resistance is governed by the case design and the construction, it isn`t all about the seals, but if the seals are fine I can`t see you having any problems.

Paul
    Thanks Paul. I'll leave the watch as is then.