closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Patek Philippe buying help/support/enabling (5167,5164,5711 and 5712)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Far more than that – closer to 75K, including the 12K or so ladies’ quartz, although they have said they were cutting back on production.
    Lord knows why though, they’ve a CHF 500M building to pay for!
    It was 40-50k when I took the factory tour in 2013 - they may well have increased since then. A 50% increase in production seems a lot though...

Banned
    When I was down in London 3 weeks ago Talking to the service manager at Patek boutique he told me they are making 40 thousand movements next year, so I guess a reduction.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    When I was down in London 3 weeks ago Talking to the service manager at Patek boutique he told me they are making 40 thousand movements next year, so I guess a reduction.
    interesting

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I had the same advised to me by the AD in Wolves about two weeks ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    It was 40-50k when I took the factory tour in 2013 - they may well have increased since then. A 50% increase in production seems a lot though...
    Not overly important, but they were doing more than that in 2011, and as far as many are concerned, they’ve been increasing output every year since by more than the 1-3% stated in the Watch-Insider interview at Baselworld this year.

Question

Slightly O/T but does a couple of years for a 5711 (Blue dial for late 2018/early 2019) sound about right? Been quoted that by one Indy AD I have bought from this year and they said a White dial would be 12 months or less.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Slightly O/T but does a couple of years for a 5711 (Blue dial for late 2018/early 2019) sound about right? Been quoted that by one Indy AD I have bought from this year and they said a White dial would be 12 months or less.
    Yes - I mean that's what they say now, but they don't know their allocation quota yet for the new year

Craftsman
    Chance to purchase 5164a today! what to do?

If you can afford it - buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Yup, a beautiful watch and, dare I say, a little more interesting than a regular Aquanaut.

Craftsman
    Oh man difficult decision, haven't seen it in flesh since 3 years or so hahaha

Craftsman
    So went the AD over lunch (received email this morning that watch is in store waiting for me), happens watch is already sold because another client wired money.

Oh well...weird service.

Craftsman
    Isn't that strange service to offer me the watch via email and 2 hours laters without telling me it is sold. I even arrived and was told to sit down and wait for the watch until someone else showed up and said it is sold 'sorry'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    Isn't that strange service to offer me the watch via email and 2 hours laters without telling me it is sold. I even arrived and was told to sit down and wait for the watch until someone else showed up and said it is sold 'sorry'
    Seems bizarre. I guess they couldn't wait to sell it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Seems bizarre. I guess they couldn't wait to sell it!

Yes :-( oh well perhaps it was a sign but then they offered me the 5167r

How is the value on that? do I lose money on that one compared to SS models?

Yes you would
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ah, just a tad. Stick with SS, with a bit of rubber as appropriate.

Craftsman
    The 5712 or 5980 in gold are worth serious consideration...but the 5980 is quite a leap in price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    The 5712 or 5980 in gold are worth serious consideration...but the 5980 is quite a leap in price
    5712 is on my list but anything over 20k is crazy money

Craftsman
    What is the UK list price of a 5167 - what's the chances of getting one on interest free credit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Haven't had the privilege of buying one but ADs always seem to be funny about doing credit on hard to get watches. Guess it eats into a margin they feel should never be diminished (i.e., they call the next person on the list till they find one who'll pay upfront).

Hope for your sake that I'm proved wrong!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Haven't had the privilege of buying one but ADs always seem to be funny about doing credit on hard to get watches. Guess it eats into a margin they feel should never be diminished (i.e., they call the next person on the list till they find one who'll pay upfront).

Hope for your sake that I'm proved wrong!
    Just speculative just now. Sometimes a waiting list can be good if it forces you to save up a bit before hand

Andy

I'd be bloody furious with them for wasting my time on a £250 watch, let alone a £20k one.

Craftsman
    I might as well give up on a PP - Salon told me I wont be lucky in 2017. I saw W's PM too late so no chance to purchase 5167. Bummer

Craftsman
    I might buy something else I think:

List says:

AP 15202
    Rolex 116655
    ALS Saxonia Moon Phase or Automatic 38.5mm

Thoughts?

Thoughts are:

Stick with the program.

No point buying an instead of watch for those sort of prices.

Id be looking at what I really wanted, then calling every AD in the country asking them to call me if they can supply, then hopefully getting one asap.

Once your name is down you might get one sooner than advised, as a lt of names on the list can't complete the purchase when the call comes - it's not always that easy to leave £20k plus to one side just in case Patel, or one of their AD's calls!

I think I'm going to buy a 5167, instead of another Sub or AP diver

List says:

AP 15202
    Rolex 116655

Thoughts?
    Why have you given up thinking about getting a PP, given that your list above includes a classic dress watch in the Saxonia automatic 38.5mm? What about a Calatrava?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Thoughts are:

Stick with the program.

No point buying an instead of watch for those sort of prices.

Id be looking at what I really wanted, then calling every AD in the country asking them to call me if they can supply, then hopefully getting one asap.

Once your name is down you might get one sooner than advised, as a lt of names on the list can't complete the purchase when the call comes - it's not always that easy to leave £20k plus to one side just in case Patel, or one of their AD's calls!

I think I'm going to buy a 5167, instead of another Sub or AP diver
    Good choice on the 5167, but that would be an expensive curry ("Patel")!😜

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Good choice on the 5167, but that would be an expensive curry ("Patel")!
    Expensive indeed For a Patel anyway - I love predictive text!

List says:

AP 15202
    Rolex 116655

Thoughts?
    AP 15202 and Saxonia Auto are better options imho....the AP versatile watch and great movement...the Saxonia obviously different typology...more dressy and pure class...

Yes - I mean that's what they say now, but they don't know their allocation quota yet for the new year

Good point George.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    This, completely. Many many people will drop off of the list when the call comes, stick with it, it'll only cost you more to get one when you lost a few k on trading in something you buy as a go between watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    This, completely. Many many people will drop off of the list when the call comes, stick with it, it'll only cost you more to get one when you lost a few k on trading in something you buy as a go between watch.
    You are probably right. It is tempting though to go for a ALS in the meantime because I don't really have such as dressy piece yet but would love to add PP and or AP but AP only option would be 15202 because I prefer the 39mm but no seconds is quite annoying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You are probably right. It is tempting though to go for a ALS in the meantime because I don't really have such as dressy piece yet but would love to add PP and or AP but AP only option would be 15202 because I prefer the 39mm but no seconds is quite annoying.
    Were you after blue or white dial on the 5711?

George,
    This is slightly tongue in cheek and meant to be light hearted and helpful in an enabling and supporting way- Take a deep breath and walk away. Your choices seem to be all over the place and you seem to have set yourself up to spend a lot of money on a watch but not which one. I've done similar in the past and am having similar thoughts myself about another watch but oh which one? It's a lot of money you're spending and unless you're uber wealthy, it's a big financial commitment you don't want to get wrong. All your choices are good ones but you can only buy one. My advice is calm down, you're money's not going anywhere and Stick to the PP route if that's the watch you really want. There will be more in stock shortly. Fwiw out of your choices if you don't want to pay above list, the 5712 is a cracker. Definitely pick the watch first though rather than the better deal. There are more experienced people on this forum than me but I think we know what you're going through.

Master
    Blog Entries
    George,
    This is slightly tongue in cheek and meant to be light hearted and helpful in an enabling and supporting way- Take a deep breath and walk away. Your choices seem to be all over the place and you seem to have set yourself up to spend a lot of money on a watch but not which one. I've done similar in the past and am having similar thoughts myself about another watch but oh which one? It's a lot of money you're spending and unless you're uber wealthy, it's a big financial commitment you don't want to get wrong. All your choices are good ones but you can only buy one. My advice is calm down, you're money's not going anywhere and Stick to the PP route if that's the watch you really want. There will be more in stock shortly. Fwiw out of your choices if you don't want to pay above list, the 5712 is a cracker. Definitely pick the watch first though rather than the better deal. There are more experienced people on this forum than me but I think we know what you're going through.
    I'm glad someone said it, the posts been to me someone trying hard to spend a lot of money without loving the watch. We have all done it, at many different price points and it ends one way. Spend time understanding what you want and like, then stick. All these headline waiting list times are not real, once you are on a list and constantly hound the dealer, maybe put money down, they will slowly appreciate you are the real deal and it will come sooner. I've had this many many times on all the steels and they seem to arrive a lot quicker once I go into keen and consistent discussion mode.

Of course I'm being a bit hypocritical here as I've made this mistake many a time, and will no doubt continue to do so, but ......

Good luck with the hunt 👍

Craftsman

Patek Philippe buying help/support/enabling (5167,5164,5711 and 5712)

This great thread has made me start a hunt for a 5167

Any tips

Last edited by andybaird22; 25th November 2016 at 21:22.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    This great has made me start a hunt for a 5167

Any tips

Just call around. I did on a Monday two weeks ago, and had one less than a week later.

Craftsman
    Just call around. I did on a Monday two weeks ago, and had one less than a week later.
    That's amazing

Did you ask to be put on waiting lists or was there one sitting there

Only issue is I have never tried one on. Thinking about trying to get interest free credit and then if I click big time with it then sell the other watches and pay off the IFC. If I was paying outright I would have to sell other watches first...

Maybe I'm being naive about getting IFC on a Patek

I can't find the list price for a 5167a anywhere. I'm estimating around 14k?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the price wasn't out of my reach I'd go for the 5164 every time. No idea why they're not too popular on resale as I think the design is much better balanced without the date window.

Given the above if I had the funds I'm expecting next year available now I'd probably have gone for the 5167 on SC, it's a great deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    If the price wasn't out of my reach I'd go for the 5164 every time. No idea why they're not too popular on resale as I think the design is much better balanced without the date window.

Given the above if I had the funds I'm expecting next year available now I'd probably have gone for the 5167 on SC, it's a great deal.
    Id take the 5164 over the 5167 too.Much better balance to my eye and with the 'actual' difference in cost about 6k make it a no brainer for me.
    As soon as i've come to terms with the spending this month i'll be looking for another one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just a bit of luck. An allocated piece became unallocated i.e. the customer did not take it, the morning I called.
    I think I paid £13,750 or thereabouts.
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    That's amazing

Did you ask to be put on waiting lists or was there one sitting there

Only issue is I have never tried one on. Thinking about trying to get interest free credit and then if I click big time with it then sell the other watches and pay off the IFC. If I was paying outright I would have to sell other watches first...

Maybe I'm being naive about getting IFC on a Patek

I can't find the list price for a 5167a anywhere. I'm estimating around 14k?

Craftsman
    Just a bit of luck. An allocated piece became unallocated i.e. the customer did not take it, the morning I called.
    I think I paid £13,750 or thereabouts.
    S
    Thanks mate

A decent price all things considered

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

They are not popular on resale and have a shorter waiting list than the 5167. One of the best aspects of the Aquanaut is the dial - on the 5167 the dial and the shading is complete and changes in the light. On the 5164 the date subdial interrupts (spoils) this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Id take the 5164 over the 5167 too.Much better balance to my eye and with the 'actual' difference in cost about 6k make it a no brainer for me.
    As soon as i've come to terms with the spending this month i'll be looking for another one.
    Yes that's fine if you like it and clearly you must as you have a 5164. I was offered both a 5167 and a 5164 by the same AD. Sometimes less is more and IMHO this is very much the case with the 5167 versus the 5164. I chose the 5167 even though the AD was prepared to make the 5164 more attractive by giving me a much better discount on it than the 5167.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    They are not popular on resale and have a shorter waiting list than the 5167. One of the best aspects of the Aquanaut is the dial - on the 5167 the dial and the shading is complete and changes in the light. On the 5164 the date subdial interrupts (spoils) this effect.

Yes that's fine if you like it and clearly you must as you have a 5164. I was offered both a 5167 and a 5164 by the same AD. Sometimes less is more and IMHO this is very much the case with the 5167 versus the 5164. I chose the 5167 even though the AD was prepared to make the 5164 more attractive by giving me a much better discount on it than the 5167.
    I've misled you.I've previously owned the 5164 but don't currently have one.An incoming 5711 has put the 5164 purchase on hold for the short term.
    I don't mean to detract from the 5167 as i came close to buying the one on SC but ultimately know it wouldn't have stayed long.Money no object i would find room for both.
    Its a good thing we all like different things.Personally i feel the 5164 is the more visually appealing watch to my eye.

Master
    I'd go for the 5712 or 5164, at these prices a steel watch should have a complication or two, esp a PP. These are also more likely to emerge than their cheaper brothers, and yes resale is slightly weaker, but overall they are a lot more interesting and will hold your interest longer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I'd go for the 5712 or 5164, at these prices a steel watch should have a complication or two, esp a PP. These are also more likely to emerge than their cheaper brothers, and yes resale is slightly weaker, but overall they are a lot more interesting and will hold your interest longer.
    Hats one way to view it but I can't spend that much

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Can't agree with this. I love both the 5164 and the 5712 but at this kind of money, as a single Patek to own the 5711 and 5167 offer 99% of the pleasure (if you're even bothered about complications) at 60-75% of the cost. I wouldn't even straight trade my 5711 for a 5712 or 5164. I would buy one separate though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Can't agree with this. I love both the 5164 and the 5712 but at this kind of money, as a single Patek to own the 5711 and 5167 offer 99% of the pleasure (if you're even bothered about complications) at 60-75% of the cost. I wouldn't even straight trade my 5711 for a 5712 or 5164. I would buy one separate though.
    Sure for many the 5711 and 5167 are just fine, for me they were always a bit too simple for the price, the AP 15202 the same, so I'd rather have their more complicated brothers, which I do love the look of, and spend a little more, or as I did spend a whole lot more for a different colour, ha! At these ridiculous prices there is no great rhyme or reason to our buys, just what we love.

Last edited by aksing; 26th November 2016 at 16:13.