closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Patek Philippe buying help/support/enabling (5167,5164,5711 and 5712)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Really? Neither were very helpful to be honest. I live over an hour from the nearest AD so can't easily pop in to pander to their egos!
    No need to pop in anywhere until it’s time to collect or you’re buying something else – it’s simply a matter of striking up a conversation about wanting one, giving them the confidence to take you seriously and not being a flipper looking to make a profit.
    Unlike Rolex, you can have it delivered to you, so you’re not restricted to buying only from ADs in your geographical territory, and therefore can contact those further away or not in the big towns and cities.
    Pick up the phone, and get chatty – you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

Journeyman
    Congratulations. I’ve tried a couple of times on the phone to get on a list for one of these but had no luck. As with others, I’m a bit fed up of Rolex and their ADs so was going to fund a new aquanaut through sale of 116520 and not purchasing the SD50 I have supposedly been due the next one in for 6 months. I’m going to try visiting in person, but four local PP ads (London and tun Wells) wouldn’t entertain adding me a wait list.

Master
    All I would suggest is that you try to wear one of these and work-out if you are really meant for each other. These aren't like Rolexes, and that is not automatically a compliment. Having owned a 5711 I am happier back with a Rolex. The Patek may be perfect for you, but it's not a 'better' watch, rather a different one. Lighter, more 'sophisticated' , with the Geneva seal movement. But the Rolex feel tougher, more resilient, and just a good all-round choice.
    Horses for courses. I am 'cured' of any desire for another Patek. Very personal thing really.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    Congratulations. I’ve tried a couple of times on the phone to get on a list for one of these but had no luck. As with others, I’m a bit fed up of Rolex and their ADs so was going to fund a new aquanaut through sale of 116520 and not purchasing the SD50 I have supposedly been due the next one in for 6 months. I’m going to try visiting in person, but four local PP ads (London and tun Wells) wouldn’t entertain adding me a wait list.
    Sounds familiar. I registered for an SD50 the day they were announced in Basel. Not a sniff so far and pretty the sure the AD are fobbing me off. Such a shame as I used to have a great relationship there before we emigrated. Change of staff means any good treatment has now vanished!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    All I would suggest is that you try to wear one of these and work-out if you are really meant for each other. These aren't like Rolexes, and that is not automatically a compliment. Having owned a 5711 I am happier back with a Rolex. The Patek may be perfect for you, but it's not a 'better' watch, rather a different one. Lighter, more 'sophisticated' , with the Geneva seal movement. But the Rolex feel tougher, more resilient, and just a good all-round choice.
    Horses for courses. I am 'cured' of any desire for another Patek. Very personal thing really.
    I understand where you are coming from having both Rolex and PP watches in my collection. I would agree with your analysis and conclusion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I agree. I also had the 5711 but could not bond with it. Whereas wth the aquanaut i bonded instantly i knew it was "right" for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if any of the central London dealers are due to have the 2017 Basel releases on display soon? I noticed that DMR at Canary Wharf have them on Mon-Tues but was hoping to see them somewhere more central. I want to see if the 5168g is worth the premium over the 5167a.

Can anyone tell me the current RRP for a 5119J? Thanks in advance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    What a crazy 5 days!!! Glad to be leaving London :)

My favourite PP. Is it the most in demand?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    ^
    Yes, the 5711 with grey-blue dial is the most sought after.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried the green composite strap?

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheripper View Post
    Can anyone tell me the current RRP for a 5119J? Thanks in advance.
    £15,110

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    Yes, the 5711 with grey-blue dial is the most sought after.
    True, but my experience , talking to fellow Patek buyers, is that the white is increasingly seen as the better looking dial. Which, to my eyes, it very clearly is. These things move slowly; give it a few years and white may well be the more sought after model. Fashion is like that.
    I simply would not have bought the blue dial version. Others would not buy the white; and so it goes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    On the 5167 Aquanaut – yes, a few have had it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I grabbed the Khaki strap from the London Salon but not sure what I think of it in the flesh.

My Aquanaut was a tiny bit loose still after a few days so I resized it this morning which was a little daunting and it now appears to be a perfect fit.

Honeymoon period still but im finding the Aquanaut more appealing then the Nautilus at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    yep and i love it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    funny. petty forum people around here. mine is coming in october.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    5167a
    Let’s have a look then George.

Master
    I’ve resisted saying anything on this thread but I’d like to know too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    He bought the new iPhone instead maybe :)

I think he changed his name and started to hunt for a Daytona.

Master
    Could it be that George and David are twins?

Craftsman
    People keep calm and take it easy. I am still here but didnt have that much time on my hand to chill around here that much anymore. I didnt buy the iphone x (yet) and the PP is on the way so chill out. FYI I dont know a David and its not me.

Looks like the silly season is in full flow:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%2...91/item/102159

Looks like you did well. George, watch and learn

Madness! I blame Brexit.

Master
    Sooner or later there will be a crash with this.
    Not sustainable.

Craftsman
    The 5167 on watchfinder is also 18k plus. Never seen them priced that high before (although it is sealed)

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Sooner or later there will be a crash with this.
    Not sustainable.
    As sure as night follows day, and it will likely be messy.

I preferred it when the Nautilus and Aquanaut were unfashionable.

people are buying at them prices!!

When I bought my Aquanaut off Watchfinder about 18 months ago it was about a year old and only £500 over RRP at the time - how things have changed. Yes, that one is sealed, but they still want £16k for a normal used one.

Then again, they listed a 1980s 4 digit reference Daytona last week for £69k and it appears to have sold.

Who said the bubble will burst. Wonder what they would pay for a 5512.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd November 2017 at 23:58.

Craftsman
    Think I saw that Daytona listed. It was steep but it was a full set. Not sure I’d pay close to 20k for box and papers. Wonder what it sold for in the end.

I want a 6239 but the prices seem to go up a few grand a month atm

Master
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Wow. I should have stockpiled when I got mine

Master
    Great now even my strap has tripled in price LOL what a mad world.....

Apprentice
    Sold immediately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
    Sold immediately.
    Market has indeed gone nuts!!

Master
    Very helpful and interesting thread, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I am interested in a 5167, but it's very difficult here in Scotland to actually get a proper look at one, as no-one seems to have them in stock. Is it a case of trying to find one if I am in London on traveling somewhere, or do any dealers outside London actually have any models available to view?

Otherwise a trip to Geneva needed! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
    Sold immediately.
    Yes, I just had to cash in :)

Only joking, mine is safely stowed in its box.

Im glad I bought when I did though, at almost 50% of that asking price.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Very helpful and interesting thread, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I am interested in a 5167, but it's very difficult here in Scotland to actually get a proper look at one, as no-one seems to have them in stock. Is it a case of trying to find one if I am in London on traveling somewhere, or do any dealers outside London actually have any models available to view?

You would do well to find any dealer with one in stock to show unless you go to Central London and call in on the likes of Watchfinder. I bought one without seeing it in the flesh and it didn't disappoint, a superb watch. You might be better trying to find a member local to you who has one who doesn't mind showing it you and letting you try it on whilst you buy them a pint or a coffee.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Im glad I bought when I did though, at almost 50% of that asking price.
    Indeed - I was jammy getting mine amongst this madness

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post

If I hadn't moved mine on a couple of weeks ago, you could have tried mine. Like others have said, you're unlikely to be disappointed but it's a load of cash to drop on something you can't see and feel for real.
    You'll be lucky to find one, even in London.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    If I hadn't moved mine on a couple of weeks ago, you could have tried mine. Like others have said, you're unlikely to be disappointed but it's a load of cash to drop on something you can't see and feel for real.
    You'll be lucky to find one, even in London.
    Damn timing, that would have been perfect! :-) It's exactly as you say - I have no expectation of being disappointed, but in many cases it's just the way it sits on the wrist of each individual - proportions etc. It's not so much the amount of money - I hate even spending £50 on something I ultimately don't like - but no doubt the higher amount makes that even more important to get absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You would do well to find any dealer with one in stock to show unless you go to Central London and call in on the likes of Watchfinder. I bought one without seeing it in the flesh and it didn't disappoint, a superb watch. You might be better trying to find a member local to you who has one who doesn't mind showing it you and letting you try it on whilst you buy them a pint or a coffee.
    Thanks, it's very reassuring to know people are delighted by the watch in the metal. A member local would be ideal - they can try on a watch or two of mine if they fancy. Pints and coffees no problem - might even smash the myth of the Scots and stretch to a whisky

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 5167 has become my daily wearer. Love it

Feels cumbersome putting on any other watch as the Aqua is so damn comfortable

Master
    Waited approx a year for the 5711.

5167 I was just fortunate to be offered one.

Crazy 5 days as I got the call unexpectedly yesterday for the 5711 with the 5167 fresh on the wrist from Friday!!!!

In a nutshell

OUT: DSSD / Hulk / Sub / Explorer / Daytona.

IN: 5167 and 5711

Easy to revert back if need be, but im really bored of Rolex at the moment and very happy with these two
    Very nice mate.

Boodles in Chester had a rose gold Nautilus in the window yesterday. Very nice looking watch, which they got in for a customer who then bought a PP celestial that became available instead!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Very nice mate.
    Cheers buddy! Hope all is well!!!

Wrist shot today using new iPhone camera which im quite impressed with!

Sometimes think maybe I should have gone with the 5712 but today I changed my mind again!!!

Last edited by kultschar; 26th November 2017 at 21:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Boodles in Chester had a rose gold Nautilus in the window yesterday. Very nice looking watch, which they got in for a customer who then bought a PP celestial that became available instead!
    Would love to try / see the 5711R in the flesh

Master
    There will be no crash. WF pretty much set the market now and Blowers, Iconic etc follow them, and WF and all will not drastically lower prices just because demand slowly drops away. They will take their sweet time and might gradually lower them slightly if there is an increase in retail supply of all the popular PP, AP and Rolex sports models, and that is obviously very unlikely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    There will be no crash. WF pretty much set the market now and Blowers, Iconic etc follow them, and WF and all will not drastically lower prices just because demand slowly drops away. They will take their sweet time and might gradually lower them slightly if there is an increase in retail supply of all the popular PP, AP and Rolex sports models, and that is obviously very unlikely.
    Not sure that’s quite right. If a few watches went to auction and did badly then there would have to be a readjustment of the prices. If a 3712 or Tiffany dialled 5712 sold for 32k at auction enough times then you couldn’t expect to get 32k for a grey 5712. Prices would then have to fall. Demand isn’t constant and can fall (regardless of supply levels)
    Last edited by crooky13; 27th November 2017 at 22:35.

Craftsman
    Also there is a cheap 5167 at watch centre currently (2012 and with extract)