closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Patek Philippe buying help/support/enabling (5167,5164,5711 and 5712)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    To be fair to George, buying a Patek isn't exactly small money and I can appreciate the dilemmas/choices it can throw up. And for more novice collectors the dynamics with ADs/pricing can be a complete minefield.
    'To be fair to George.' Really? I would think this forum has been more than fair, but there comes a time when credibility collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    'To be fair to George.' Really? I would think this forum has been more than fair, but there comes a time when credibility collapses.
    'To be fair' I thought I'd try and balance the argument but after his off the cuff and arrogant replies I'm not gonna bother anymore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    'To be fair' I thought I'd try and balance the argument but after his off the cuff and arrogant replies I'm not gonna bother anymore.
    I don't have credibility issues, the street loves me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    I don't have credibility issues, the street loves me.
    That is actually hilarious. I will applaud that one.

Journeyman
    I've enjoyed reading this thread as a newbie.

I have been a bit of a Rolex fan to date and after purchasing a 116520 I just find I haven't worn or enjoyed it as much as I should. I have always liked the 5167 and have decided this will be my next watch.

I then tried to put my name down for one. Wow. I knew these were sought after but no one seems willing to entertain adding my name to a list. I have tried all of the closest ADs and the Bond St salon.

I want to get one from an AD so what are my options? Should I get on a list in Switzerland or somewhere outside of EU and then fly there once in stock. I know exchange rates are poor but are they easier to get outside of the uk?

Wanted one this year as a birth year watch for my first born but looks like I left it too late. Reading this has been an eye opener on the availability of SS models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    … I have always liked the 5167 and have decided this will be my next watch.

I then tried to put my name down for one. Wow. I knew these were sought after but no one seems willing to entertain adding my name to a list. I have tried all of the closest ADs and the Bond St salon.

I want to get one from an AD so what are my options? Should I get on a list in Switzerland or somewhere outside of EU and then fly there once in stock. I know exchange rates are poor but are they easier to get outside of the uk? ...
    Contact the dealers outside the larger cities to stand a chance of getting a call when one comes in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Contact the dealers outside the larger cities to stand a chance of getting a call when one comes in.
    Yes, that's the way. Market towns , smaller places. It will help if you have relatives whose address you can use, because being local scores a few more points. Then the wait begins.......good luck. People do get these watches. I did, after two years, and I only applied to my local AD. Could all just be luck.

Journeyman
    Thanks. I'll try a few more places and visit them to try and get my name down. I'm not fussed about keeping double sealed etc or papers being kept for a period so this may help getting on a list.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    Thanks. I'll try a few more places and visit them to try and get my name down. I'm not fussed about keeping double sealed etc or papers being kept for a period so this may help getting on a list.
    You've really missed the boat if you wanted double sealed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well I was after and on a list for the 5711 Nautilus.

Whilst waiting one of these popped up and I could not resist....

My first PP, find it hard to pic. Very crisp and stunning in reality

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Popped up?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

That's a stunner

Master

Congratulations it's a great watch!

You must be in favour at your AD - poor old George has been trying to buy for what seems about 5 years now 😜

Master
    Blog Entries
    Popped up?
    Yup!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

You must be in favour at your AD - poor old George has been trying to buy for what seems about 5 years now 

Thanks lol

Loving it so far :)

Master
    Love the aquanaut, and for me it's superior to the 5711 (over hyped). The aquanaut is where it's at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Love the aquanaut, and for me it's superior to the 5711 (over hyped). The aquanaut is where it's at!
    They both seem like lovely watches.

For me, the Aquanaut is a little let down by the rubber strap. Even though the strap does look very good, such an expensive watch seems to me to somehow 'deserve' a better strap or bracelet.

The 5167/1A-001 on bracelet looks somehow right to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    They both seem like lovely watches.

For me, the Aquanaut is a little let down by the rubber strap. Even though the strap does look very good, such an expensive watch seems to me to somehow 'deserve' a better strap or bracelet.

The 5167/1A-001 on bracelet looks somehow right to me.
    For me, the Aquanaut is a little thin and flimsy to be the perfect 'sports' watch, which is where I see it fits in the range, whist the chunkier Nautilus is perfect. That goes against what I've always understood, thinking the Nautilus was presented as the dressy option and the Aquanaut the sporty one. That said, both are excellent.

Waiting lists are one of the misnomers too. These do 'pop up' and rarely does a serious buyer have to wait anywhere near the initial time quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    For me, the Aquanaut is a little thin and flimsy to be the perfect 'sports' watch, which is where I see it fits in the range, whist the chunkier Nautilus is perfect. That goes against what I've always understood, thinking the Nautilus was presented as the dressy option and the Aquanaut the sporty one. That said, both are excellent.

Waiting lists are one of the misnomers too. These do 'pop up' and rarely does a serious buyer have to wait anywhere near the initial time quoted.
    I've owned both for some time, and don't see the Nautilus as chunkier at all. They're both very slim - in fact, I think they may both be 8.5mm in height.

The only reason I wouldn't describe the Aquanaut as the "perfect sports watch" is the relatively delicate nature of the bezel. That aside, it's beyond criticism.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've owned both for some time, and don't see the Nautilus as chunkier at all. They're both very slim - in fact, I think they may both be 8.5mm in height.

The only reason I wouldn't describe the Aquanaut as the "perfect sports watch" is the relatively delicate nature of the bezel. That aside, it's beyond criticism.
    Yeah I agree, the nautilus 5711 is very thin also and i feel is very dressy. In fact i find the aquanaut far sportier with the more modern "composite" strap. For the nautilus I prefer the 5990 which I own also which is chunkier and sportier.

Master
    For me, the Aquanaut is a little thin and flimsy to be the perfect 'sports' watch, which is where I see it fits in the range, whist the chunkier Nautilus is perfect.....

Have you owned either? Because the 5711 isn't 'chunkier' in any way. It's actually, light, thin and delicate feeling......that's it's only real weakness for me, although the bracelet is inferior to a Rolex bracelet...still using pins and with a clasp that takes real effort to open. It's amusing to watch people struggle with them.
    As for the waiting lists, really? I waited over two years and none of my friends even got on the current lists to start with . Anyone can get 'lucky' but most people have a painfully long wait for a 5711. Aquanauts are easier, because less people want them. Resale prices tell the story. If these watches were relatively easy to get, resale would not be sky high.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th September 2017 at 15:18.

I must admit I put my name down in an AD in London for a 5711 and 4/5 months down the line I had the call. Didn't seem that hard at all but maybe I was lucky. To be fair it was the white dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    the bracelet is inferior to a Rolex bracelet...still using pins and with a clasp that takes real effort to open. It's amusing to watch people struggle with them.
    As for the waiting lists, really? I waited over two years and none of my friends even got on the current lists to start with . Anyone can get 'lucky' but most people have a painfully long wait for a 5711. Aquanauts are easier, because less people want them. Resale prices tell the story. If these watches were relatively easy to get, resale would not be sky high.
    Ha ha that's true it's not the easiest to open, slightly awkward really and yes bracelet isn't the quality of a Rolex but that's maybe because the whole watch is I guess more delicate.

I was extremely lucky to get mine within 6 weeks of inquiring, right time, right place I guess. I've seen people over on rolexforums wait years.

Master
    For me, the Aquanaut is a little thin and flimsy to be the perfect 'sports' watch, which is where I see it fits in the range, whist the chunkier Nautilus is perfect.
    If you really think that, you've clearly never seen them in real life.

Banned
    So many replies, so just taking the last one. I do really think that and yes I have I'm afraid. Still stand by what I said, although perhaps I should have said in comparison to certain other watches they compete with.

Edit: Inshould have said dainty, not flimsy, it's certainly not that.
    Last edited by sarky; 17th September 2017 at 20:21. Reason: Added

Master
    I have an Aquanaut and I certainly don't find it "dainty" in any shape or form. My everyday watch is a SDc, which is clearly a "tool" watch but I don't believe they serve the same market space.

It's debatable if he exists in real life

Master
    I think it needs to be clarified that neither the aquanaut or nautilus is "Flimsey". i have owned several Nautiluses and the bracelet is silky and very thin. But it is still extremely well built and never did i feel that it was fragile or weak. It was just thin and svelte but still solid and everything fit together excellently. The aquanaut is thin but very smooth.

Banned
    I think it needs to be clarified that neither the aquanaut or nautilus is "Flimsey". i have owned several Nautiluses and the bracelet is silky and very thin. But it is still extremely well built and never did i feel that it was fragile or weak. It was just thin and svelte but still solid and everything fit together excellently. The aquanaut is thin but very smooth.

Clarified? This is a discussion forum and a minute to read my edit, I replaced the term flimsy (no e) with dainty. So, to clarify, for me, I will never own an aquanaut because I find it too dainty.

In referring to the Nautilus and describing as 'chunkier', I wasn't specific towards the 5711, but others in the range, which is a fact.
    Last edited by sarky; 18th September 2017 at 07:22.

Clarified? This is a discussion forum and a minute to read my edit, I replaced the term flimsy (no e) with dainty. So, to clarify, for me, I will never own an aquanaut because I find it too dainty.

In referring to the Nautilus and describing as 'chunkier', I wasn't specific towards the 5711, but others in the range, which is a fact.
    Well, you could say that equally of the 5164, so that's a false premise.

Banned
    Well, you could say that equally of the 5164, so that's a false premise.
    I wasn't being negative, nor inaccurate, simply stating I find the Aquanaut a little (let's say thin to be clearer) for its sporty title. The Nautilus is available in several depths, which I find more sporty and an advantage, enabling more choice to its fans.

I wasn't being negative, nor inaccurate, simply stating I find the Aquanaut a little (let's say thin to be clearer) for its sporty title. The Nautilus is available in several depths, which I find more sporty and an advantage, enabling more choice to its fans.
    Hence my comment about the 5164. You do realise that it's a different watch to the three-hander, and a lot heavier?

Banned
    Hence my comment about the 5164. You do realise that it's a different watch to the three-hander, and a lot heavier?
    Yes, apologies for the confusion - the Nautilus range offers options for those seeking different things, which is great for any range.

Craftsman

You must be in favour at your AD - poor old George has been trying to buy for what seems about 5 years now 
    funny. petty forum people around here. mine is coming in october.

funny. petty forum people around here. mine is coming in october.
    Which model have you decided to go for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Which model have you decided to go for?
    5167a

Master
    5167a
    zzzzzzzzz

Banned
    Blog Entries
    5167a
    What goes around, comes around. You could have had several of these since the thread began. Roll on October.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazing how ive gone from loving a decent bit of heft on the wrist to feather light!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You wear that very well. Enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers buddy

Was hoping to pickup the 5711 this week but looks like I will have to wait a tad longer

Prob a good thing as learnt not good to have watches so quickly in succession.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a crazy 5 days!!! Glad to be leaving London :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    What a crazy 5 days!!! Glad to be leaving London :)

Lovely watch! But surely you had to wait more than 5 days!

I called 2 AD's about a 5711, one told me that once my application form had been submitted (was surprised by this to begin with) it'd be 11 years, the other said 9 years!!

Master
    ^
    It's not an application piece – kick those two ADs well into touch, even though they're lying to put off the flippers.
    There are plenty of other ADs who will talk to you sensibly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Lovely watch! But surely you had to wait more than 5 days!

I called 2 AD's about a 5711, one told me that once my application form had been submitted (was surprised by this to begin with) it'd be 11 years, the other said 9 years!!
    Waited approx a year for the 5711.

5167 I was just fortunate to be offered one.

Crazy 5 days as I got the call unexpectedly yesterday for the 5711 with the 5167 fresh on the wrist from Friday!!!!

In a nutshell

OUT: DSSD / Hulk / Sub / Explorer / Daytona.

IN: 5167 and 5711

Easy to revert back if need be, but im really bored of Rolex at the moment and very happy with these two
    Last edited by kultschar; 20th September 2017 at 14:56.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    It's not an application piece – kick those two ADs well into touch, even though they're lying to put off the flippers.
    There are plenty of other ADs who will talk to you sensibly.
    Really? Neither were very helpful to be honest. I live over an hour from the nearest AD so can't easily pop in to pander to their egos!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Waited approx a year for the 5711.

5167 I was just fortunate to be offered one.

Crazy 5 days as I got the call unexpectedly yesterday for the 5711 with the 5167 fresh on the wrist from Friday!!!!

In a nutshell - OUT: DSSD / Hulk / Sub / Explorer / Daytona. IN: 5167 and 5711
    Wow, congrats (I think!). Will the outbounds be popping up on SC?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Wow, congrats (I think!). Will the outbounds be popping up on SC?!
    Thanks!!

I sold 3 Rolex last year (in the event I got an early call) and the other 2 were sold last week!!! Consolidation complete!!!

Very nice indeed, now where's that photo of Harry Enfield with his wadge

You are certainly showing old George a thing or two about getting off your backside and buying a PP.

I think you have done the right thing and even if you change your mind later on both watches will be incredibly easy to move on. A win/win I would say.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice indeed, now where's that photo of Harry Enfield with his wadge

You are certainly showing old George a thing or two about getting off your backside and buying a PP.

I think you have done the right thing and even if you change your mind later on both watches will be incredibly easy to move on. A win/win I would say.
    Indeed. You cant go wrong either way!

Cheers