closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Patek Philippe buying help/support/enabling (5167,5164,5711 and 5712)

Master
    Anyone who buys a watch such as Rolex or PP or similar can expect it to rise in value and then suffer a crash or period of stagnation. This cycle will repeat itself forever.

A watch is just a lump of metal and is a commodity which rises and falls with time. If you cannot live with that, buy a bog standard watch instead and keep you money in the bank where it will earn a low but consistent rate of interest.

We gloat when values go up and we have to live with it if the values go down. No one can moan about it because it is all so obviously predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I bought the 5167, 5711 and 5712 all without trying on first. My AD put me on the list and said that if the watch wasn't for me then not to worry as they'd have no problem selling.
    It'll be a great trip for you but I'd also get yourself on the list now.
    I've been on the list for a while now and have been told my watch should be in the first half of this year. Looking forward to my first PP. For interest do you still own all of them ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    I've been on the list for a while now and have been told my watch should be in the first half of this year. Looking forward to my first PP. For interest do you still own all of them ?
    I do still own all of them. The 5167 came first and as soon as I put it on everything else I had paled in comparison. The size, thin case and stunning dial. I love wearing the Aquanaut and photos don't do it justice. 6 months later I picked up the 5711 and then last year I got the 5712. If I had got the 5712 first there's a good chance I wouldn't have bothered with the 5711, the 12 is probably my overall favourite of the three.
    Last edited by Cinch; 5th January 2018 at 16:03.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought both 5167 and 5711 without every trying on wrist.

Believe me nothing to worry about and you wont have a problem selling on. Sure AD wont mind keeping it for next on list

Assumed George had revived this thread!!

I thought I wanted the 5168g but when I tried it it looked too big and the blue wasn’t as vibrant as in the pictures. I’ve been looking at the 5167 in the windows of grey dealers and decided that’s what I’m going for, I’ll try one on at some point when I have time.

Master
    Really recommend the 5167, Probably my most worn watch. I would dare say its the best 3 hand watch money can buy!

ditto on the 5167, worn most days. Stopped looking for anything else after i brought it.

The problem is finding one from an ad! So hard, particularly in London.

Master
    Just a word of caution. Some people take to these watches big time, and I understand why, they are slim, elegant and sophisticated. From one of the great names, maybe the greatest name.
    But plenty of people buy them, decide it's not for them and move on. As selling is easy, that's no hardship, but I wouldn't want another. There is a slight feeling of fragility , and the clasp on the Nautilus is pretty poor. Odd as it might seem I prefer a Rolex overall, because I like the extra feeling of ruggedness. Which I don't think is just an illusion.
    All personal choice. Beyond a certain point, it's not an objective thing at all. Patek will always be Patek.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th January 2018 at 18:26.

Master
    Trust me the 5167 is damn rugged even more water resistant than an explorer!! I took it hiking swimming cycling is amazing coz it’s thin and the movement is damn spot on no matter what i throw at it. Seriously good watch. I agree that the Nautilus on the other hand can be abit more fragile due to the finishing and design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delicate finish or not I can’t stop wearing my Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Anyone who buys a watch such as Rolex or PP or similar can expect it to rise in value and then suffer a crash or period of stagnation. This cycle will repeat itself forever.
    Why?

&

Why haven’t I seen this process played out with both watches or handbags etc.

Are you simply restricting your comments to some of the rarer/more collectible models? Because if you are simply making a broad statement then I think you are very wrong. I have seen no general crash in “new” luxury item prices.

Its not a simple case of economics 101
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Why?

&

Are you simply restricting your comments to some of the rarer/more collectible models? Because if you are simply making a broad statement then I think you are very wrong. I have seen no general crash in “new” luxury item prices.

Agreed...havn't seen a single crash as of yet, ofcourse doesnt prove that it wont happen but still....I just dun see it happening...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

A watch is just a lump of metal and is a commodity which rises and falls with time. If you cannot live with that, buy a bog standard watch instead and keep you money in the bank where it will earn a low but consistent rate of interest.

We gloat when values go up and we have to live with it if the values go down. No one can moan about it because it is all so obviously predictable.
    Nonsense.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Nonsense.

Well said.......or perhaps he's been on the moon for a while?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Really recommend the 5167, Probably my most worn watch. I would dare say its the best 3 hand watch money can buy!

Do you still have it and wear it all the time mate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Do you still have it and wear it all the time mate?
    Yep my daily wear!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Agreed...havn't seen a single crash as of yet, ofcourse doesnt prove that it wont happen but still....I just dun see it happening...
    whilst not a crash, Patek used values did take a noticeable dip during the credit crisis. Lots for sale and not the buyers meant it was bargain time. Bad to sell

Same with expensive cars and Porsche in particular

Master
    Why?

&

Did you ever try to sell a Rolex in the early nineties, not easy.

I had a reduction in an insurance valuation on my JLC because the market collapsed.

A watch is just a commodity, never lose sight of that.

Yes, I bought and sold watches from time to time in the 90’s. I never had problems buying or selling a Rolex though.

JLC prices have always been way lower than RRP as a used buy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I bought and sold watches from time to time in the 90’s. I never had problems buying or selling a Rolex though.

Seconded.

Where has George got to? Did he ever buy one?

Master

Actually I won the thing in a game of poker in the late eighties and I had an agreed value on it for about 3 years. The insurance company wrote me a letter saying that the JLC was now worth considerably less that what it was due to a decline in watch values. The watch was from 1954 so even in the nineties could have been considered vintage. What made it seem genuine was that just a few weeks before, Michael Winner was having a bloody good moan in a newspaper article that the value of his watch collection had gone down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Looking for some insight on anyone who has managed to buy a 5167. Is there anywhere you can actually view the watch?

I love the look of it and it's one I am interested to buy, but equally I'd hate to occupy a waiting list (put off other potential purchases), then actually try it and find it doesn't work for me (size, look on the wrist whatever). Trouble is it seems impossible to see!

If actual retailers cannot help, is it one that ever appears at TZ get-togethers for example?

I may give up and start searching for the manure of a rocking horse.... :-)
    If anyone does see a 5167 at an AD, appreciate if they can let me know. I'll happily pop along and have a look.

I wish you luck.

I could have had one very soon, on Bracelet, from the boutique but decided to wait for one on a strap. Estimated 2.5 years wait from last Nov!

Master
    I wish you luck.

I could have had one very soon, on Bracelet, from the boutique but decided to wait for one on a strap. Estimated 2.5 years wait from last Nov!
    Thanks. Jeez.....! That's not good - albeit, first world problems for sure! I'll just need to be patient

Should get my 5711 Blue this year. Top of the list just waiting for the allocation numbers to be confirmed. Cannot wait.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish you luck.

Wow - nuts timescale!!!! Any idea on 5164?

5167 is my daily wearer. Dont do much daily physical work hence its ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Wow - nuts timescale!!!! Any idea on 5164?

5167 is my daily wearer. Dont do much daily physical work hence its ideal!
    Two AD’s I asked stated their quota for 2018 is spoken for so expect 2019 (5164a)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    If anyone does see a 5167 at an AD, appreciate if they can let me know. I'll happily pop along and have a look.
    Doubt the AD would take a 5167 out of the safe/the double seal for anyone but the buyer/person on list. But you never know!

Master

IWC is a pretty good example. Things like the 3536 aqua timer dropped in value around 25% due to richemont's mismanagement of the brand.

Of course that's one example. Not the general trend that was suggested - and obviously false.

I waited 6 months for my 5167a but my 5164r came a lot faster, I was told 3-6 months but it turned up within the month!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    I waited 6 months for my 5167a but my 5164r came a lot faster, I was told 3-6 months but it turned up within the month!!

There is a huge difference in market desirability and availability of a 5167A and a 5164R. One is a watch in very high demand and produced in small volumes therefore is hard to get , the 5164R is not as desired and is produced in similar volumes so is relatively easy to get. If I wanted a 5164R I could get one today and get a discount as one of the Patek ADs I use has one in stock which I was trying out in store recently. I already have a 5167A but were I to purchase another I would guess it would take around 6 months to get one from one of my Patek ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    There is a huge difference in market desirability and availability of a 5167A and a 5164R. One is a watch in very high demand and produced in small volumes therefore is hard to get , the 5164R is not as desired and is produced in similar volumes so is relatively easy to get. If I wanted a 5164R I could get one today and get a discount as one of the Patek ADs I use has one in stock which I was trying out in store recently. I already have a 5167A but were I to purchase another I would guess it would take around 6 months to get one from one of my Patek ADs.
    Good Lord!

You have your own AD? Or is that several ADs?

Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Good Lord!

You have your own AD? Or is that several ADs?

Kudos
    Ah sorry - I think you misunderstand. I have a very good relationship with three Patek ADs - and have purchased multiple watches from all of them. One in particular is a new Patek AD and as a consequence seems to be able to get hard to get pieces fairly easily.

Master
    Correct. It’s the SS 5167 that is very hard currently to get though not as hard as say a 5711. The 5164R i can get within an hour tbh and negotiate a discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Doubt the AD would take a 5167 out of the safe/the double seal for anyone but the buyer/person on list. But you never know!
    This is the big challenge. Can look at it that PP5167 is a load of money without being able to see a watch and KNOW that's the one to go for. Sure can wait and the AD could easily sell it on if I don't bond with it. However how many other watches must walk away from during that time?

I'd rather actually be able to see one - even if unable to buy it - and if it's a superb match then happy to wait. But if in the meantime I've had to turn down another watch I'd have loved, then a PP looks awful on the wrist....the wait could be a real missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    whilst not a crash, Patek used values did take a noticeable dip during the credit crisis. Lots for sale and not the buyers meant it was bargain time. Bad to sell
    :)

I am surprised, i wonder why is it less desirable?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I am surprised, i wonder why is it less desirable?
    Easy, 21k between them and ones gold. The 5167 is relatively cheap and entry level to patek sports.

How's George getting on, has he bought one yet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Delicate finish or not I can’t stop wearing my Nautilus.

Why stop, that's a beauty! My first Wow PP I ever tried on.

Craftsman
    Yes I have. It’s coming. My god. What is it with you guys. You all know it’s not easy to get. Patience is a virtue.

We all like a gossip now and again ;)

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Why stop, that's a beauty! My first Wow PP I ever tried on.
    Thanks, I'm making myself go cold turkey until next month to give some of my other watches a turn!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    George aka Daniel? I wonder if his Aquanaut ever arrived.
    ???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    Yes I have. It’s coming. My god. What is it with you guys. You all know it’s not easy to get. Patience is a virtue.

But you started this thread in 2016 and it is now 2018....

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    But you started this thread in 2016 and it is now 2018....
    To be fair it wasn't until November 2016......

Master
    Blog Entries
    George there is a 5712 on sc, go buy it and shut this thread down

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, I would of jumped on the 5712 if I was George!

Wearing my Nautilus today in the Sun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Indeed, I would of jumped on the 5712 if I was George!

Wearing my Nautilus today in the Sun
    For whatever reason I've always preferred the look of the Aquanaut, but I think that would turn the head of anyone who appreciates watches. Classically clean, strong, elegant design. What a stunner.