closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendation please

Knife recommendation please

Knives have never interested before me but hanging round this place has got me thinking about a good knife to take with me when trekking, camping, fishing, dog walking etc. Can anyone recommend something under £100 - folding knife probably.

Knives are easily lost. I would just get an opinel.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Victorinox as a camping/walking pocket knife and there's plenty of choice. I have a Huntsman as I wanted a wood saw and corkscrew.

Otherwise something like a Hartkopf with hard wood scales. About £100.

https://german-knife-shop.com/produc...certification/

Boker does a nice camping knife, but it is nearer to £100 to £150, depending on scale material: Delrin, oak or stag horn.

http://www.deadwoodknives.com/p-2690...e-110182r.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 21st November 2016 at 10:39.

Dave, Take a look at Friedrich Hartkopf, They are just fantastic quality Solingen made knives
    Puma are also good, but pick the genuine Solingen made items, as they have widened to include cheaper items from across the world that are so-so.

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-t...brand/hartkopf
    Last edited by GOAT; 20th November 2016 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Dave, Take a look at Friedrich Hartkopf, They are just fantastic quality Solingen made knives
    Puma are also good, but pick the genuine Solingen made items, as they have widened to include cheaper items from across the world that are so-so.
    Solingen made is a good tip. Both Hartkopf and Boker are Solingen made.

The Deadwood website is a good one to browse different types of pocket knife, manufacturers and scale materials.

Master

Cool

It's a slippery slope Dave.
    Stick with Victorinox
    Last edited by Dr.f; 20th November 2016 at 21:54.

Spyderco Roadie for a traditional looking knife, Or Squeak or Urban or Pingo if you are OK with the blade shapes and length. They are all UK legal, in that they are less than 3" blade length, non locking, folding knives.
    Last edited by Thorien; 20th November 2016 at 22:02.

Craftsman
    For a general useful knife I would vote Victorinox.
    I have had a Huntsman for 30 or so years, and bought my daughter one last year for general camping use.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Spderco Roadie for a traditional looking knife, Or Squeak or Urban or Pingo if you OK with the blade shapes and length. They are all UK legal, in that they are less than 3" blade length, non locking, folding knives.
    After much research I followed Thorien's advice and bought a Spyderco Urban. Thanks mate!

I'm very happy with it - it's legal to carry as less than 3" blade length and non-locking, but the finger choil makes it safe to use without it closing on your fingers. It's a great little tool knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    After much research I followed Thorien's advice and bought a Spyderco Urban. Thanks mate!

I'm very happy with it - it's legal to carry as less than 3" blade length and non-locking, but the finger choil makes it safe to use without it closing on your fingers. It's a great little tool knife.
    Indeed it is. A wonderful little blade that was British Blades Forum knife earlier this year. And Spyderco is a great company, good ethos and an outstanding customer service.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Love these threads, not got a spyderco urban but that would be my recommendation.

Because of the budget set I will not post pictures of my chris reeve sebenza , but tempting to stretch the budget a bit sometimes. ;)

Glad you like it! :-)

There is a ton of choice out there OP, you could have a look at the Heinnie Haynes website, I've selected the folding knives option and UK friendly to narrow down the choices a bit:

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-t...sc&order=price

Thank you for all the help. A long standing member is sending me some of his collection to look at. TZ is a great place.

Please keep your suggestions coming - I particularly like some of the exotic handles I've seen.
    Last edited by dejjl; 20th November 2016 at 22:22.

UK Knife laws summary here:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Personally, I'd stay away from locking knives if you are going to be carrying it around a lot.

UK Knife laws summary here:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Personally, I'd stay away from locking knives if you are going to be carrying it around a lot.
    Good advice.

In UK law a locking knife, or a knife with a blade longer than 3" is a fixed knife, i.e. you need to be able to convince the police that you have a good reason to carry it.

Master
    If dog walking, then you're restricted by law. I'd agree with Victorian, but one of my favourite right now is the falkkniffen LTC. Although I love the UK legal TBS boar. Another I've recently been itching to buy is the viper Dan1. Just make sure to buy a good sharpener/stone as well.

If you are camping, trekking, fishing, besides a pocket knife with a blade, wouldn't you want to be able to open a tin, pop the cap off a bottle, remove a cork, tighten an occasional screw, take out a splinter, dig out a stone from your horse's hoof?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In UK law a locking knife, or a knife with a blade longer than 3" is a fixed knife, i.e. you need to be able to convince the police that you have a good reason to carry it.
    As, for the moment, we don't live in a police state, there is no burden on anyone in the UK to convince the police of anything.

The police (as the name suggests) 'police' the incidence of criminal behaviour, investigate and report to the CPS who make any decision to prosecute - not the police. It is then for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not have a good reason for carrying it - an important distinction.

This is both correct and - please forgive me - rather pedantic and stupid. Because how will this play out - assuming you did not pull the knife out in a way that could be interpreted as threatening, because it becomes a totally different matter -?:
    - the policeman, for some reason, asks if you have a knife
    - you show him the knife. It is a fixed blade, a locking knife or any knife whose blade exceeds the legal limit ( if not it is in theory the end of the matter)
    - the policeman asks you why you are carrying the blade: you answer because you are going to / coming back from camping, work, or whatever reason you have to carry it.
    - if he believes you, and accepts it is a good reason, he lets you continue your day ( first time it is important to convince the police)
    - if he doesn't accept your reason as valid he takes you to the station and you have a word with the desk sergeant.
    - you tell him your reasons for carrying your knife. Now the good thing about the desk sergeant is that he is usually more clued up than the policeman and he can check what the texts says exactly. This is your second chance to convince the police. If you do, you walk out.
    - It's only if you don't that CPS becomes involved, and then potentially the judge.

By convincing the police you save yourself a lot of hassle and aggravation. But feel free to tell them you reserve your reasons for the CPS.

A cautionary tale:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-picnics.html

Best to avoid a locking blade when out and about unless you have a valid reason. Also your car is viewed as a public place!

Perhaps an O.J. Signature model?

Banned
    That goes beyound any good taste and is not funny in any way.

I'm in the 'Swiss Army Knife' camp for their versatility over and above a single blade.

I've had one (Victorinox) for decades now and it's proven to be indispensable for travelling around.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

error

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'm in the 'Swiss Army Knife' camp for their versatility over and above a single blade.

I've had one (Victorinox) for decades now and it's proven to be indispensable for travelling around.

R
    Either this or a Leatherman. I know it's a multi tool but it's got a knife on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Either this or a Leatherman. I know it's a multi tool but it's got a knife on it.
    I've got a couple of Leatherman models, one of which has travelled under my motorbike seat for many years. I prefer the SAK for the convenience of size and weight though, more pocket-friendly for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've got a couple of Leatherman models, one of which has travelled under my motorbike seat for many years. I prefer the SAK for the convenience of size and weight though, more pocket-friendly for me.

R
    Also, most decent size Leatherman have locking blades (please note I said most, not all ;) )

Also, most decent size Leatherman have locking blades (please note I said most, not all ;) )
    I have to admit that the legality of my under-seat carry hadn't crossed my mind, but I don't think I'll be unduly concerned.

On that topic, a story: a while ago I decided to take a road trip across America on a motorbike and to research it I started a thread on an American-based adventure bike forum asking for advice. Lots of helpful responses, but then the subject of what hand-gun would be best accompaniment came up. When I said I'd no intention of carrying one the thread went ballistic (pun intended) - think BP meltdown, but on a grander scale.

R

I have to admit that the legality of my under-seat carry hadn't crossed my mind, but I don't think I'll be unduly concerned.

R
    And indeed you shouldn't be. One because most policemen will accept it is a tool, especially if it is in your bike toolbox, usually under the seat so not exactly readily available. I myself have a Swisstool under the boot floor, next to the spare wheel etc. in my car.

And two, because as Bristolian said we do not live in a police state and the chances for you - let alone your bike- are infinitely small. It would be a different matter if you carried it to the pub, where the chances of being asked what you have in your pockets increase and the validity of your defence plummets

I use this

for fishing and other basic tool work, and have done for more than 20 years.
    It was cheap, has a great saw (far better than those usually found on a multi-tool), and has plenty of tools to boot. Longest blade is 2.5 inches.

I own more than twenty folders, ranging from Victorian to modern(ish) Victorinox Salesman, and I think this is the most used one.

Cheers, Bob.
    Last edited by bobbee; 21st June 2019 at 20:13. Reason: Updating pic

There are plenty of option for UK legal as others have already said, but it can cet out of hand pretty quickly!

Edited to add: this is only the UK legal section of the box, plenty of other goodies in the other drawers.

Last edited by smashie; 21st November 2016 at 13:39.

This is both correct and - please forgive me - rather pedantic and stupid. Because how will this play out - assuming you did not pull the knife out in a way that could be interpreted as threatening, because it becomes a totally different matter -?:
    - the policeman, for some reason, asks if you have a knife
    - you show him the knife. It is a fixed blade, a locking knife or any knife whose blade exceeds the legal limit ( if not it is in theory the end of the matter)
    - the policeman asks you why you are carrying the blade: you answer because you are going to / coming back from camping, work, or whatever reason you have to carry it.
    - if he believes you, and accepts it is a good reason, he lets you continue your day ( first time it is important to convince the police)
    - if he doesn't accept your reason as valid he takes you to the station and you have a word with the desk sergeant.
    - you tell him your reasons for carrying your knife. Now the good thing about the desk sergeant is that he is usually more clued up than the policeman and he can check what the texts says exactly. This is your second chance to convince the police. If you do, you walk out.
    - It's only if you don't that CPS becomes involved, and then potentially the judge.

By convincing the police you save yourself a lot of hassle and aggravation. But feel free to tell them you reserve your reasons for the CPS.
    You do not need to pull the knife out in a threatening manner to commit an offence, merely carrying a knife of the controlled type in a public place may do it, if you do not have "good reason".

The problem from a practical point of view is that "good reason" (the defence under s139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988) is a higher threshold than "reasonable excuse" (the defence under s1 Prevention of Crime Act 1953). If you were stopped by the police carrying the controlled type of blade, consider it from the police perspective : a serious offence may have been committed that is quite easy to prosecute and prove - if a PC has a suspect on such a potential charge with the career brownie points that entails, why would they allow themselves to be talked around to letting you off?

From a philosophical POV, the police (should) have no judicial function, anyway their scope for discretion is far narrower than you might suppose.

Forgive my pedantic stupidity for one last point : if prosecuted under s139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, you would be likely to elect a jury trial in which case you are tried by a jury not by the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    As, for the moment, we don't live in a police state, there is no burden on anyone in the UK to convince the police of anything.

The police (as the name suggests) 'police' the incidence of criminal behaviour, investigate and report to the CPS who make any decision to prosecute - not the police. It is then for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not have a good reason for carrying it - an important distinction.
    I appreciate this has been covered further up the thread but just to reinforce, it would be ridiculous to carry a fixed or locking knife, or with a blade over 3" when there are perfectly good alternatives labelled "UK EDC carry" because, "someone on a forum told you it was ok" because that reason frankly will not stand up to much scrutiny. (I nearly said "wouldn't cut it" but I'm not in the mood for joking about this subject.)

If you are working, or have some bomb-proof recreational reason then fill your boots. The Leatherman Juice is every bit a Leatherman but with a non-locking blade. The Victorinox Huntsman is a great knife, non-locking blade.

Just don't risk it, I'm sure the police and CPS have better things to do with their time than listening to you tell them you need an Arkansas toothpick to peel your apple on a picnic...

...and just edited to add I'm fairly sure that last sentence quoted is not correct, it is up to you to show you have a valid reason to carry, and not the other way round.
    Last edited by catch21; 21st November 2016 at 18:19.

It is then for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not have a good reason for carrying it - an important distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    ...and just edited to add I'm fairly sure that last sentence quoted is not correct, it is up to you to show you have a valid reason to carry, and not the other way round.
    I imagine that if you did have a valid reason to carry then you wouldn't end up being in court defending yourself.

R

I like Spyderco and have several of their knives, but none that are a 'UK Friendly Carry'. Several people have recommended the Urban LW, but can I ask, please, why they chose that model over the Spy-DK LW or the UK Penknife? They are all available from Heinnie.

I appreciate this has been covered further up the thread but just to reinforce, it would be ridiculous to carry a fixed or locking knife, or with a blade over 3" when there are perfectly good alternatives labelled "UK EDC carry" because, "someone on a forum told you it was ok" because that reason frankly will not stand up to much scrutiny. (I nearly said "wouldn't cut it" but I'm not in the mood for joking about this subject.)

If you are working, or have some bomb-proof recreational reason then fill your boots.
    Seriously, what constitutes "good reason" is a technical matter that "needing it for work" will not necessarily cover.

This isn't really the best example on which to discuss the burden & standard of proof in English law, but in a nutshell "good reason" (not "valid" reason) will (presumably - there are others as it happens) be your defence as provided by the statute.

It is still for the prosecution to prove its case notwithstanding your defence - that is not actually the same as you "proving" that your defence is adequate.

It's an easy mistake to make - even the Ministry of Justice got it wrong the other day :

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015...l-trial-advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

The burden of proof is significantly lower than 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. And it for the defendant to show that they entitled to be acquitted 'on the balance of probabilities' (link1 or link2)...that's fifty-fifty.

Thus, there is a burden on the accused to convince the police or CPS not to proceed, or the Court not to convict, depending upon how far things go. Fifty-fifty is not a high barrier to a successful defence, but it is equally a lesser hurdle before the Court can find for the for the prosecution.

Master
    A cautionary tale:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-picnics.html

Best to avoid a locking blade when out and about unless you have a valid reason. Also your car is viewed as a public place!
    Be aware that report was utter rubbish, the truth http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

He was a very nasty man.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    That goes beyound any good taste and is not funny in any way.
    My apologies.

I'm a fan of Leatherman, even more so after they sent me a new one this week after I broke the file on my last one.

I'd had the original one for 15 years and used it countless times.

I downloaded the repair form and sent it off expecting it back with a new file.

But a brand new, different model was sent back.

Great service.

Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    There are plenty of option for UK legal as others have already said, but it can cet out of hand pretty quickly!

Edited to add: this is only the UK legal section of the box, plenty of other goodies in the other drawers.
    Excellent collection just there, would love to see the other drawers too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I like Spyderco and have several of their knives, but none that are a 'UK Friendly Carry'. Several people have recommended the Urban LW, but can I ask, please, why they chose that model over the Spy-DK LW or the UK Penknife? They are all available from Heinnie.
    Personally, for the every day carry option I tend to be very conservative so prefer the smaller blade of the Urban to the bigger UKPK etc. It's also smaller total length so easier and lighter to carry, whilst still being a useful size. I also use the Roadie which is even more people friendly being a two hand opener and a 'traditional' penknife blade shape or a Squeak again even smaller than the Urban.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Be aware that report was utter rubbish, the truth http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

He was a very nasty man.
    Interesting read thanks, I still tend to ere on the side of caution with my every day carry options. Just don't need to take the risk.

The DK only has a small hole in the blade meaning it's hard to open one-handed (to comply with the law in Denmark, apparently). So for me it was a choice between the UKPK or the Urban - I chose the Urban due to the shorter blade length; I wanted to make sure there was no doubt it is legal to carry.

I use it literally every day, I had no idea there were so many things that needed cutting and slicing! It just needed a drop of loctite screwlock on the wire clasp retaining screw (courtesy of Unclealec at a Mcr GTG). And to think I originally said I didn't want a Spyderco as they looked silly! They are popular for a reason.

...Personally, for the every day carry option I tend to be very conservative so prefer the smaller blade of the Urban to the bigger UKPK etc. It's also smaller total length so easier and lighter to carry, whilst still being a useful size. I also use the Roadie which is even more people friendly being a two hand opener and a 'traditional' penknife blade shape or a Squeak again even smaller than the Urban...
    The DK only has a small hole in the blade meaning it's hard to open one-handed (to comply with the law in Denmark, apparently). So for me it was a choice between the UKPK or the Urban - I chose the Urban due to the shorter blade length; I wanted to make sure there was no doubt it is legal to carry...
    Thanks for the replies...different reasons, all making sense to me.

I did wonder about the DK initials...now I know.

Master
    The spyderco Pingo is another great UK friendly pen knife

Boker Nano 42 (non locking version) with custom scale. Another small knife that cuts like a bigger knife

My posh Pen knife

Spyderco UKPK with custom carbon fibre scales

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    The spyderco Pingo is another great UK friendly pen knife

Boker Nano 42 (non locking version) with custom scale. Another small knife that cuts like a bigger knife

My posh Pen knife

Spyderco UKPK with custom carbon fibre scales
    That R.White is amazing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    That R.White is amazing!
    Thank you, yes it's lovely. IO don't know if Russ is making any more, he had some health issues a while back. Shame if he has stopped making, great guy and fantastic products.

My 'posh' knife is the Fantoni Dweller with olive scales

The burden of proof is significantly lower than 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. And it for the defendant to show that they entitled to be acquitted 'on the balance of probabilities' (link1 or link2)...that's fifty-fifty.

Thus, there is a burden on the accused to convince the police or CPS not to proceed, or the Court not to convict, depending upon how far things go. Fifty-fifty is not a high barrier to a successful defence, but it is equally a lesser hurdle before the Court can find for the for the prosecution.
    I am sorry, you are correct on that point - I had not made a clear distinction between the burden on the defendant in raising the statutory defence and the burden on the prosecution overall. You are right that the standard is a balance in respect of the statutory defence.

The prosecution however still has to prove its case overall to the usual standard (not too challenging with this strict liability offence) and the defendant could still raise non-statutory defences (if any) that would negate the charge.

My concern remains that :-

1 - It is unrealistic to rely on the universal goodwill of the police in giving the benefit of any doubt in what is considered a serious offence that is fairly easy to prove.

2 - A lot of well-meaning advice about excuses for carrying prohibited blades "for work / fishing / picnics" is mistaken. The criteria for having a "good reason" pose a high threshold, even if proving that the defence applies will be considered on a balance.

In a nutshell, stick to small non-locking blades.
    Last edited by Bristolian; 22nd November 2016 at 00:46.

Banned
    if I was you I would buy this as your first knife/tool its as cheap as chips and has a saw for your out door bits.

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/equipmen...Jo0aAiSd8P8HAQ

as for the law its absolutely pointless arguing

carry a sub 3" non locker during the day, don't take it to a pub or a football match.

anything else unless its for your job or for camping and genuinely needed just don't bother.

you can of course use them in your house or garden, as I do.