closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Automatic Case Back 1150/81 - Final Configuration

Craftsman

CWC Automatic Case Back 1150/81 - Final Configuration

I recently posted this on MWR but I thought it might be of interest to TZ-UK members who like CWCs' and may not frequent MWR.

Terry

CWC automatic divers watch case back 1150/81 came into my possession in 2011 fitted to a non-working 83 - 86 Quartz case as a parts buy. Bobsy and I played around with it and created a ETA 2892-2 automatic hybrid using a 95 - 99 Quartz case featured in this post.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ighlight=terry

Although the ETA 2892-2 transplant worked reasonably well I was not entirely happy that I had found the right marriage for case back 1150/81. Another troubled CWC diver that I had was the remnants of a 1981 CWC automatic that I featured in this post.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ighlight=terry

Once I decided this CWC auto should be decommissioned, a final plan for case back 1150/81 was hatched. The ETA 2872 compatible case was a perfect match for case back 1150/81, same pedigree, same year, same batch manufacture, issued or un-issued. Parts were assembled to rebuild 1150/81. The missing item being a 1981 CWC signed automatic dial. Sometime earlier Konrad G and I had a CWC dial manufactured as a one-off exercise. It didn't turn out that good and I left it the parts box but decided to take a look at it again for this project. The main issue with the dial being the heavy green of the lume. Konrad suggested I get it relumed at IWW (Jack) for this project. I also had an issue with the plain white lume of the MKII hands that I had used in the rebuild. The watch was sent to Jack for a dial and hand C3 relume and finally it is now as close to an original 1981 CWC that I can make it. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

None of this would have happened without the involvement of Bobsy and Konrad G and I thank them both for their valued participation in this project. I've been wearing 1150/81 for the past couple of months and it keeps immaculate time at +/- 2 seconds per day. I'm also not frightened of it getting banged up or wet like I would if it was an original 1981 issued watch. Unless I can find an original 1981 CWC dial, that's it for 1150/81.

Terry

looks great! Thanks for sharing.

I hope to add a early 80's auto CWC diver someday.

Nice one. It's very satisfying when a labour of love like this come together.

very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app