closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLEX AD refuse to give me the hang tags on new watch !??!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It is a nonsense.

I'd have walked too, fair play to the op.

This. It's much less about the value (or not) the hang tags add, and far more about the terrible customer service! If nothing else, the OP won't be shopping there again and I doubt we would now either.

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I have heard of retailers removing stickers to prevent resale at a profit
    I appreciate this is the reason, I just can't fathom out why it should matter.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I appreciate this is the reason, I just can't fathom out why it should matter.
    It doesn’t to anyone, other than the reseller, who can sell it as new and make more than RRP from people like the members here.

Just been offered a ceramic daytona from AD.Checked they hand over all items - only condition is after payment they smash the watch with a hammer to stop me flipping it for a quick profit:-?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The last Rolex I picked up from AD's both times the only issue was whether I'd like a glass of champagne or not-
    It was proper service that you'd expect when parting with a large wedge....the fact that DM Robinson were phoning me to inform me that I would not be getting the D- Blu after having my £1200 deposit for six months unless I adhered to their new self imposed sticker rules just made me fume.

OP- If I were in your place,I would atleast contact Rolex and after having determined that they are not the ones recommending this, report the AD. It has obviously been a sour experience,particularly after holding onto your deposit for several months. Not as retribution but think of it as a favor to other buyers, so that the rogue dealers like this are curbed. It is obvious that it is an issue for most here (I am in a minority here ),though may not be for a non-WIS. At the least,AD should be reprimanded and cautioned.

Master
    ^
    Just spoke with my local AD, and it turns out that hang tags and bezel protector are fine, but the stickers are to be removed.
    Typical procedure is payment taken, warranty activated and stickers removed.
    The chap I was conversing with, is aware of ADs who’ve initiated their own policy of retaining the warranty card – which for the majority of typical buyers, won’t be an issue…and similarly the stickers.
    The only people who are put out by such in-store and brand policies are those who aim to flip for a profit or those of us who will sit on such watches rather than wear them straight away.

Apprentice
    I'd say buy it then kick up a fuss so they won't be able to sell the watch to someone else. Unless it's a watch that isn't a waiting list piece in which case buy elsewhere! You start to think Rolex are doing you a favour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    If a store kept the warranty card then ceased trading unexpectedly you'd be fecked ...

I wouldn't be worried about them removing stickers but I'd want everything.

My Grand Seiko came over in a white box sleeve with clear instructions to remove prior to sale printed on it

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The only people who are put out by such in-store and brand policies are those who aim to flip for a profit or those of us who will sit on such watches rather than wear them straight away.
    Id say that statement is very much not the case for many people and attempts to tar an awful lot of people with the wrong brush. The reasons stated by many - myself included - go no small way toward demonstrating this and involve such things as principles...

Why did the AD's get a bag with green hang tags to put on the watches they had in stock when Rolex extended the warranty to 5 years?

Was the reason they self should keep them? I believe not.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    Just spoke with my local AD, and it turns out that hang tags and bezel protector are fine, but the stickers are to be removed.
    Typical procedure is payment taken, warranty activated and stickers removed.
    The chap I was conversing with, is aware of ADs who’ve initiated their own policy of retaining the warranty card – which for the majority of typical buyers, won’t be an issue…and similarly the stickers.
    I can buy the stickers should be removed to made it more difficult for the grey dealers.

I wish the electronics industry will do the same with TV, home appliances, ect, ect.

Apprentice

New blnr from D M Robinson

Hi all
    First post on this site. Guess what, while you guys were in the middle of this discussion I was in D M Robinson watching the stickers being removed from my blnr!! Thought it was very peculiar so googled and found you lot 😀
    Been on the list for 10 weeks, which D M estimated correctly so I guess they new exactly when the price rise was going to happen... Anyway, apart from the cosmo it's about the most sought after Roller,prices being pushed up by the international resale value.

But here we're talking about the hang tags and stickers. Everything the sales girl did was considered and deliberate, it was almost painful to watch, I new there must have been some background to her behaviour, keep checking in with the manager each time I asked a question. (looking quite miffed when I took up the offer of 2 years free 😉). Once payment was sorted all evidence of the sale was photographed, receipts, credit agreement tags, watch all nicely laid out. I don't recall if the stickers were removed before or after the photo... I asked the stickers be left in place which was OK before the sale was completed, then it became rolex policy to remove them. I asked twice, firmly that the stickers were left on but short of wrestling it out of her hands there was little I could do... I think maybe they have been threatened with loosing their rolex licence which would be a disaster for them. Only 2 cups of coffee and no offer of champagne...
    Anyway I'm wearing it and happy with it. Will look good over the dinner table at Christmas and on my snowboard holiday. Would be able to sell in the new year for little or no loss. Only negative to sterling getting stronger will be resale value of it will fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
    Hi all
    First post on this sit.
    I asked the stickers be left in place which was OK before the sale was completed, then it became rolex policy to remove them. I asked twice, firmly that the stickers were left on but short of wrestling it out of her hands there was little I could do.....
    First welcome to the site, secondly it's a warm and friendly place unless of course you use such terms as Roller, pulled the trigger, bad boy or mine says hi.... that won't end well

If you had read this you would have been forewarned......

but I guess you could have told them if you remove them it's suddenly second hand and not complete so i want a full refund/cancellation rejecting the goods as not satisfactory......

If you haven't left the store you might have been able to ....perhaps....

Welcome,Colin
    Enjoy your BLNR. It is a lovely watch.
    Did they let you have the tags or they kept them?

A couple of things-
    New=unworn,unused
    Knew= had prior knowledge of
    Am not sure what a Roller or a Cosmo is, though.

Hi all
    I think maybe they have been threatened with loosing their rolex licence which would be a disaster for them.

Very interesting first ever post Colin!
    Welcome to the forum.

The salesman I was dealing with at DM Robinson told me quite clearly that their policy of insisting on taking off all
    protective stickers was nothing to do with Rolex UK but was instigated by their general manager in order to protect their 'market'.

Apprentice
    I got the green tag, no problem there.
    It's my first post and I'm tired, just run a half marathon, don't have a go at me...

The whole day was an interesting experience. Rockerfellers was buying up the stock he could get his hands on.

Banned
    Rockerfellers was buying up the stock he could get his hands on.
    Well, there is the problem.

AD selling to the grey man around the corner.

I hope it puts them out of business.

Banned
    How incredibly sour and silly all this is... if their watches are so precious that they can't let them out the door without annoying the buyer there is something seriously wrong. If flippers are such a huge problem they must raise the prices. Ruining the buying experience for a punter who honestly wants the watch to have and to own is just not on. If you have to hand over a large amount of money, AND go through pain and humiliation when you pick the item up, then it is just not worth it.

I wish Rolex would wake up, take action, price their products correctly and insist that customers be treated like royalty. They are after all paying a large amount of money and the dealer must be making thousands of pounds on each sale.

Refuse to accept a second hand watch. If they remove the stickers insist on at least a 10% discount. Refuse to accept an incomplete set. Refuse to part with your money unless you are 100% happy. Finally, don't pay over retail price for second hand watches. That is only encouraging stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Very interesting first ever post Colin!
    Welcome to the forum.

The salesman I was dealing with at DM Robinson told me quite clearly that their policy of insisting on taking off all
    protective stickers was nothing to do with Rolex UK but was instigated by their general manager in order to protect their 'market'.
    Without wanting to sound repetitive, I still don't get it, how exactly does this protect their market? Their market is to sell watches at the official rrp, they presumably can sell as many as they can get at rrp, the gray market is selling at ABOVE rrp to get around the waiting lists, the AD will sell exactly the same number of watches regardless of the gray market.
    If this becomes common practice, the only difference is going to be gray market watches won't have stickers or the dealers will get stickers to put on.
    Its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Well, there is the problem.

AD selling to the grey man around the corner.

I hope it puts them out of business.
    Totally true. I know a grey dealer who spends £50k a go in Goldsmiths, hoovering up Rolexes that are kept to one side. And people wonder why there is a shortage.

But here we're talking about the hang tags and stickers. Everything the sales girl did was considered and deliberate, it was almost painful to watch, I new there must have been some background to her behaviour, keep checking in with the manager each time I asked a question. (looking quite miffed when I took up the offer of 2 years free ). Once payment was sorted all evidence of the sale was photographed, receipts, credit agreement tags, watch all nicely laid out. I don't recall if the stickers were removed before or after the photo... I asked the stickers be left in place which was OK before the sale was completed, then it became rolex policy to remove them. I asked twice, firmly that the stickers were left on but short of wrestling it out of her hands there was little I could do...
    And anybody who thinks that that's acceptable and honest behaviour should go and have a good look at their own principals.

Welcome to the forum! Oh - and ignore the grammar police - especially when their own attempts are so consistently poor!

Apprentice
    Just a thought.. all the internal stickers were removed from my new golf. Sales person insisted. They've got to check there's no damage under the stickers, although on a rolex this would be HIGHLY unlikely.

Just a thought.. all the internal stickers were removed from my new golf. Sales person insisted. They've got to check there's no damage under the stickers, although on a rolex this would be HIGHLY unlikely.
    That's one hell of a stretch!

Edit:- Karl - are you listening? You might want to use that on the next mug!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 20th November 2016 at 19:49.

I got the green tag, no problem there.
    It's my first post and I'm tired, just run a half marathon, don't have a go at me...

The whole day was an interesting experience. Rockerfellers was buying up the stock he could get his hands on.
    
    Don't worry.
    Well done on half marathon 

We are a strange bunch.
    I don't get too upset if they remove the stickers,though I usually ask them to leave them on.
    If indeed I get the watch with stickers,I never remove them.
    I have five year Rolexes that I wear in rotation with some of the stickers still on:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th November 2016 at 19:52.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have five year Rolexes that I wear in rotation with some of the stickers still on:-)
    You are a good man, RAJ.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    You are a good man, RAJ.
    More strange than good:-)
    I am sure this is not normal behavior.

A couple of things-
    New=unworn,unused
    Roller = Posh motor
    Cosmo = Woman's beverage

I would quite simply say, 'Yes, you may remove the stickers before I have bought it, it is your watch you can do as you please with it. However, the moment I pay for it it is my watch and you are not to touch it other than with my permission.'

If they say 'if we remove the stickers, what happens if you refuse to buy it and leave it with us?'

Well either it makes no difference to them, or they are now admitting that they have a watch that has been devalued by their actions. If the latter how can they justify selling you a devalued watch in the first place?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 20th November 2016 at 20:05.

Apprentice
    I'm down the pub with my blnr. Don't think it's got a scratch yet. It's gleaming 😁

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Roller = Posh motor
    Cosmo = Woman's beverage
    Wasting your time trolling me mate.

I'm down the pub with my blnr. Don't think it's got a scratch yet. It's gleaming 
    Did you do the beer test yet?
    They recommend dunking your new Rolex in the beer glass with the crown unscrewed to check water resistance.

Apprentice
    Did you do the beer test yet?
    They recommend dunking your new Rolex in the beer glass with the crown unscrewed to check water resistance.
    I'll try that the day before it's next service, in 9 years 364 days 😀

Welcome,Colin
    Enjoy your BLNR. It is a lovely watch.
    Did they let you have the tags or they kept them?

A couple of things-
    New=unworn,unused
    But you know what a Hulk is?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But you know what a Hulk is?
    Got one of those.. Smurf next on the list..

Without wanting to sound repetitive, I still don't get it, how exactly does this protect their market? Their market is to sell watches at the official rrp, they presumably can sell as many as they can get at rrp, the gray market is selling at ABOVE rrp to get around the waiting lists, the AD will sell exactly the same number of watches regardless of the gray market.
    If this becomes common practice, the only difference is going to be gray market watches won't have stickers or the dealers will get stickers to put on.
    Its ridiculous.

It's completely nonsensical and deluded for the Rolex AD to think they are protecting their market by acting in this
    manner.
    All it does is ensure that watch enthusiasts/collectors take their money elsewhere.
    In any business you have to know what your clients want- especially those spending thousands- and quite obviously DM Robinson's general manager Karl Irwin does not understand what Rolex collectors want.

Apprentice
    D M Robinson are no longer taking deposits on the blnr as of yesterday. But they did have a sub non date in the window all day(Saturday).

Talking as a watch enthusiast and assuming a new watch was to be worn, I would probably expect the AD (or me in the presence of the AD) to remove the stickers so as to establish that the watch was pristine, before I got it home.

Talking as a collector who might put the watch in the safe with a view to it forming part of my pension (hopefully increasing in value), I would want it left entirely untouched i.e. stickers in place.

Either way I would expect to receive all the odds and sods that should make up the 'package' i.e. bezel protector, hang tags, warranty card etc. and I would accept no less.

Journeyman
    So let me sum up what I've read so far here and elsewhere...

ADs get to :
    - remove the transparent stickers
    - keep the hang tags and possibly other accessories
    - demand that a warranty card shows owner's address (not just the name) to honour the warranty if needs be
    - accept to swap a dial at client's request only if a full service is done

What will the next thing be? Keep the warranty card? Forbid you from selling it or risk never to be sold a new Rolex again from an AD?

To me it's a simple decision. Either full set or nothing. They're playing a dangerous game at pissimg people off. Not sure if this is the right time considering the state of the watch industry with recent news such as Swatch Group and Richemont not doing great.

To be honest though, the number of people that will get cheesed off with this is negligible in the grand scheme of things, most buyers will go along with it and not care or think it's iffy practice.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    most buyers will go along with it and not care or think it's iffy practice.
    You don't seem to have a very high opinion of "most buyers".

To be honest though, the number of people that will get cheesed off with this is negligible in the grand scheme of things, most buyers will go along with it and not care or think it's iffy practice.
    Very true. In the end,it is a storm in a tea cup.
    Sure, I can see some people being less than happy over withheld or removed items and justifiably so to some extent.
    But, watching some get their knickers in a twist including quite a few that are not looking to buy a new Rolex anyway for whatever reason ( either Rolex is not their thing or they don't like modern Rolexes or whatever ) is amusing.
    Contrary to what they think end of the world is not near and Rolex is not going out of business and neither are the ADs.
    It would be nice to see the ADs not make a hash of things by these arbitrary practices and the Rolex enthusiasts getting to buy the Rolex the way they want to. But a proper perepsectice would be nice.

Banned
    True, at the end of the day no one is being forced to buy a Rolex, and no one has to own a Rolex.

Buy from an AD and you get a Rolex without protective stickers.

Buy from a grey dealer and you get a Rolex without protective stickers.

I can't see what the whole thing is supposed to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
    Totally true. I know a grey dealer who spends £50k a go in Goldsmiths, hoovering up Rolexes that are kept to one side. And people wonder why there is a shortage.

& this is what Rolex are trying to stop, and removing AD status from those transgressors they find - more will follow next year!
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    This makes no sense
    It's soul :-)

Master
    Could this be because OP was buying two the AD has made the assumption at least one is going to be flipped?


    Don't worry.
    Well done on half marathon 

We are a strange bunch.
    I don't get too upset if they remove the stickers,though I usually ask them to leave them on.
    If indeed I get the watch with stickers,I never remove them.
    I do this as well.

My BLNR still has stickers on after 18mths. I try to keep them on for as long as possible until they either come off on their own or look very tatty.

Helps keep the watch looking new for longer!

So yes I would insist on keeping the stickers on!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't get that, why would you leave the stickers on .... do you leave the hang tags on as well, what about a new suit do you leave the labels on that too?

It's a stainless steel watch ...!