closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military issue Citizen divers watch

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Military issue Citizen divers watch

A bit of light research identifies that, apparently, a number of Citizen divers watches were issued to UK forces for testing, but didn't meet the necessary requirements (such as functioning) and that they are sticking with CWCs.

One of these watches is apparently for sale on eBay at the moment. I have been in discussion with the seller who claims it has been issued, but not too him (to his mate, of course). This one doesn't have a NSN either.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has as acquired any of these watches and if they are considered particularly collectible? You can buy a brand new one for about £135 but I quite like the story and the idea that there is this small batch of 800 or so in use.

Banned
    that sounds like nonsense to me.

where's the link?

this one?

Without any documentary evidence?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-i...YAAOSwcUBYIikS
    Last edited by soapy; 14th November 2016 at 23:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    A bit of light research identifies that, apparently, a number of Citizen divers watches were issued to UK forces for testing, but didn't meet the necessary requirements (such as functioning) and that they are sticking with CWCs.

One of these watches is apparently for sale on eBay at the moment. I have been in discussion with the seller who claims it has been issued, but not too him (to his mate, of course). This one doesn't have a NSN either.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has as acquired any of these watches and if they are considered particularly collectible? You can buy a brand new one for about £135 but I quite like the story and the idea that there is this small batch of 800 or so in use.
    2 of my mates are army divers and both wear the issued citizen, neither of them are particularly interested in them and will wear what ever they can be issued. As it happens, one of the 2 has "lots" of them on shelf as he manages their issue to the divers in the regt and no one wants one!

As per most of issued diver watches in France, they bear no special markings on it; so even if the seller say that they are issued, they could be issued or not…

A very small amount of Citizen Promaster have been issued (with marking) for french divers,

here one of them :

Last edited by Laurent B; 15th November 2016 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    2 of my mates are army divers and both wear the issued citizen, neither of them are particularly interested in them and will wear what ever they can be issued. As it happens, one of the 2 has "lots" of them on shelf as he manages their issue to the divers in the regt and no one wants one!
    yup the above is correct, from what I have seen they are not market with the usual nsn and issue details.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Absolute snip is that one at $685. For a scuffed-up, well worn £120 watch with a serial number stamped on it, you have to wonder why people don't just buy new watches, pop them in a tumble dryer with a few spanners and sharp implements, and then get a set of number stamps.................................. ;-)

Banned
    I was wrong then, mustn't jump to conclusions in the future.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    that sounds like nonsense to me.

where's the link?
    A valid point. Here is the 'limited research' I've found - let's ignore the whole FOI thing...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...d-Forces-watch

So, part of my point is, are these a bit of a 'sleeper' from a milsub angle? Imagine the story in 50 years time "ah yes these were issued to the military in 2010 and nobody liked them...only 800 in existence"

etc.

...think of it in the context of issued quartz Precista 17s and 18s that are now worth hundreds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Absolute snip is that one at $685. For a scuffed-up, well worn £120 watch with a serial number stamped on it, you have to wonder why people don't just buy new watches, pop them in a tumble dryer with a few spanners and sharp implements, and then get a set of number stamps.................................. ;-)
    I worked with the Pakistani army, I wouldn't have used any of their equipment.

they did do a fine cup of tea and vegetable curry though.

Craftsman
    I have been offered the issued Citizen divers from two of my sources, but as there are no issued markings and just the Citizen serial number on the back, I have never bought any. I can't see how they can be validated as issued in the future.

Dave

Master
    I've had a couple of theses(not issued ones) they seemed rTher small for a diver - almost ladies sized- 300m though

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.charlton View Post
    I have been offered the issued Citizen divers from two of my sources, but as there are no issued markings and just the Citizen serial number on the back, I have never bought any. I can't see how they can be validated as issued in the future.

Dave
    I contacted Abbey Wood to see if they could advise me of the serial numbers of the 800 or so issued watches. No reply unfortunately.

Journeyman
    A citizen (unsure which model) is current SF diver issue. As said, nobody really uses them and if they do it's UW use only.

I have a customer who a royal navy clearance diver and he too has an issued citizen but no nsn, he was also issued a suunto with no nsn.

Having no nsn just saps the fun 😟

I worked with the Pakistani army, I wouldn't have used any of their equipment.

they did do a fine cup of tea and vegetable curry though.
    So you have never seen their guns? I have some thousands shot experience with Pakistan made (POF) MP5. No problems and it looks as good or even better made than original.

JP

Blog Entries
    Where or who stamps /engraves the n.s.n?

Craftsman
    Very interesting thread. Thank you