closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dual Sim mobiles

Master

Dual Sim mobiles

I bought a Moto dual sim via Amazon a few years back as I wanted better coverage than relying on just one network. I swop between Vodaphone and O2 as I wish. Been looking for a new one and can't find anything at all. Have they gone out of fashion? Seem a good idea to me.

Master
    My lad has just got an Elephone P9000 from amazon and that's dual sim apparently- it had the need to test it yet though.

Seems a decent phone for 180 quid or so.

Master
    If you're willing to spend a bit more, but get a very good phone, 1+3 has dual SIM capabilities (I've used it last time I went abroad, it works)

My girlfriend just bought a Wileyfox Swift, which is a dual sim. The phone is superb and only cost £100

Master
    If you type"dual sim" into the Amazon search bar there are pages of them from Motorola, LG, Samsung, Wileyfox, Lumia plus a shed load of Chinese versions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...words=dual+sim

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    My girlfriend just bought a Wileyfox Swift, which is a dual sim. The phone is superb and only cost £100
    I also have one of these and find it to be very good, especially for the price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    If you're willing to spend a bit more, but get a very good phone, 1+3 has dual SIM capabilities (I've used it last time I went abroad, it works)
    Wired.co.uk thinks this is the bees knees. Interesting.

All phones should offer this facility. What's to loose?

The network carriers are not keen on dual sim phones for exactly the reason that you are looking at them, ie they provide the ability to readily switch between the networks. Hence they do not tend to resell them thus reducing the incentive for the manufacturers to make them.

That said, as already pointed out they are available from the likes of eg Google/Motorola, Wileyfox and OnePlus through the larger general online retailers such as amazon and John Lewis. TechRadar is usually a good source of in depth reviews.

I use a Sony Z5 Duel. I use the second sim when I go abroad, I buy a €20 pre pay card and use it for the internet, thus keeping my roaming charges down.

Master

Master
    Thanks a lot. Seriously considering either the new Moto or the Oneplus3 now. Incidentally I was part of some market research recently and smartphone users main moan was poor signal strength or none at all.

If you want to use a Micro SD card to add more storage space, make sure you get a handset that has two sim slots and a separate SD card slot. On most dual-sim handsets one of the sim slots has to be used if an SD card is required - thus turning the phone into a single-sim handset.

See here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rare-...M-tray_id81795

It seems the Z5 Dual has this. Be aware that the LG G4 has had a hardware boot-loop fault, don't know if it's resolved.

If only Apple made one the bulge in my pocket would reduce...

- - - Updated - - -

Craftsman
    One plus are due to announce a new phone next week. I'd hold off if you are thinking about going for one of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    One plus are due to announce a new phone next week. I'd hold off if you are thinking about going for one of them.
    I doubt it's going to be the 1+3's successor. More likely a replacement for 1+X

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    If you want to use a Micro SD card to add more storage space, make sure you get a handset that has two sim slots and a separate SD card slot. On most dual-sim handsets one of the sim slots has to be used if an SD card is required - thus turning the phone into a single-sim handset.

See here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rare-...M-tray_id81795

It seems the Z5 Dual has this. Be aware that the LG G4 has had a hardware boot-loop fault, don't know if it's resolved.
    The Z5 has 2 sims and a sd slot. So I can use my 200gb sd with 2 sims.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I doubt it's going to be the 1+3's successor. More likely a replacement for 1+X
    1+3T is the rumour. Snapdragon 821, upgraded camera and possibly 8gb of ram.

Moto z play (direct from Motorola at least) has dual sim and micro SD slot.

And insanely good battery life

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    1+3T is the rumour. Snapdragon 821, upgraded camera and possibly 8gb of ram.
    That sounds very tasty.

I've also heard very good things about the newer version of the Woleyfox, the Swift 2.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There are dual SIM cases for the iPhone, sorry for making your bulge go down!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    There are dual SIM cases for the iPhone, sorry for making your bulge go down!
    The idea is to have a phone that contain 2 sims within which can be accessed via the touchscreen, not swapped around physically. iPhones don't have that option.

Craftsman
    I've not tried them personally but magic SIM has versions for most modern smart phones and the active SIM is selected from an app.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    The idea is to have a phone that contain 2 sims within which can be accessed via the touchscreen, not swapped around physically. iPhones don't have that option.
    Exactly. In fact what I need is a phone with 2 sims concurrently active.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Exactly. In fact what I need is a phone with 2 sims concurrently active.
    Reading this thread should get you sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    I've also heard very good things about the newer version of the Woleyfox, the Swift 2.
    El Reg seem to like it anyway - "A new champ of the 'for around £150' market"

I always go dual sim so I can have work and personal lines on the same phone.

I've had 2 sony (nice but both had battery issues), 2 microsoft (great phones but limited apps) and an elephone P9000 (ticked all the boxes but failed after a couple of weeks).

Currently looking at options from Samsung - A3 and A5 look really good (A5 if you want dual sim + memory card).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ive had these phones for the last few years cant fault them and the dual sim is really handy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Ph...one/B017BN9WRU

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    AFAIK all moto g4 plus are dual sim
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I always go dual sim so I can have work and personal lines on the same phone.

I've had 2 sony (nice but both had battery issues), 2 microsoft (great phones but limited apps) and an elephone P9000 (ticked all the boxes but failed after a couple of weeks).

Currently looking at options from Samsung - A3 and A5 look really good (A5 if you want dual sim + memory card).
    It's funny you mentioned battery problems with the Sonys. My z5 battery didn't last too long when using both sims, I figured it was because it was doubling the network searching / communicating etc.

Master
    Bought a payg 3 sim yesterday to replace my Giffgaff sim which I use alongside the Vodaphone sim as the rates are cheaper. It didn't work so went back to the 3 shop to find out why.
    Apparently the Vodaphone sim is using 3G and the Giffgaff is on 2g. 3 use 3G too and you can't have both SIM cards using 3G. So I'm back with the Giffgaff.
    If this sound confused it's because I am??

Depends on the phone. Some have just 2G for the second sim as they assume people just need a second number (ie voice calls).

My Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus has 3G/4G on both sims.

A friend of mine has a Samsung S7 (I think), but not the edge one.

She travels a lot and has a work SIM and a private SIM (her family live in Rio) which she uses when she's there as it's a lot cheaper than a roaming one, especially for data (Or so she tells me!).

She's commented a few times on how good it is.

M

Funny you should ask this now, I've just received a flyer from Morgan offering such a beast.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pro...nlocked-Black/

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Funny you should ask this now, I've just received a flyer from Morgan offering such a beast.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pro...nlocked-Black/

Eddie
    nice price but with a 1300mh battery and dual sim - that isn't going to last long betwixt charges

Journeyman
    My CAT B15q is dual sim. I have it for more than 2 years and l believe it must be discontinued by now. I wouldn't recommend it due to lack of memory which limits the applications you can install to the device. But it is reliable and very robust. Check out the newer offerings by CAT, you may be able to find what you are looking for.

I've got the Oneplus 3t, great phone.

This is the 3rd dual sim I've had. For a cheap n cheerful alternative, try a Doogee....

Cheers,
    Adam.