closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just in....new arrival from 2009!

Just in....new arrival from 2009!

Longines - Heritage - Clous de Paris Power Reserve (L2.703.4.16.3)

Hi folks,
    So this is the latest arrival and I seem to have crossed the Rubicon on this one….over the self-imposed 20 watch limit. I cannot remember where or when I first spotted these, probably noticed them while looking for something else. So, as you do, set about researching;
    • case size 42mm – check
    • not too thick – check, just 13mm
    • ETA based movement – helpful, but comes with 2 year Longines warranty. Bit noisy!
    • Resilient to showing signs of use – check, sapphire glass and a wonderful Clous de Paris band running around the case.
    • different from anything else in the collection – check
    • not going to haemorrhage money the moment the stickers are off – (maybe) check
    • reputable brand – check
    This model was produced around 2006 to 2009, then another version came out with Arabic numerals, and a few other slight variations, but I always felt this was the nicest balance, particularly the raised polished hour markers and the date window at the edge of the dial. The power reserve indicator also filled a void without interfering too greatly with the lovely 'hobnail' effect dial. It proved quite difficult to source, nothing was on the second hand market with full box and papers…..I am unaware if it was popular at the time, but I haven’t seen any on TZ-UK. Anyway, got really lucky and found one in Greece, new, from a Longines AD (on Chrono24). Now I did find it rather surprising that they had a new and unused watch from 2009 in the window…..but that was the case. The downside is that the shop lighting over the years had bleached what was once a smart dark blue croc, to a sort of pale green shade. Before entering negotiations I went and had a friendly chat at my local AD, and was informed the strap was still available, two left!
    Bit of friendly bargaining and a deal was concluded with the very helpful Nick of SEITANIDIS 1890 (a family run business in their fourth generation of ownership). It arrived 2 days later, cards signed up, all present and correct, and a rather nice Longines watch stand with a mirror to show off the crystal back. I know little about the mechanics of watch movements, but even I can appreciate that a lot of work has gone into the presentation.
    New strap is on order from Switzerland. So it will look like it should have done when exiting the shop seven years ago.
    All in all a really nice buying experience. Now just the final hurdle of how to play out the eventual ‘discovery’ to the better half….
    Here are a few pics. Thanks for reading

[IMG]post image online
    [IMG]post image online
    [IMG]post image online
    [IMG]post image online
    [IMG]post image online
    [IMG]post image online

That is very lovely indeed, how has it sat in an ADs window all these years is amazing find.

Craftsman
    Congratulations, and superb pictures too. I love the detail on the dial. For me I'm not keen on how the date window cuts into the chapter ring, but it is still a lovely piece. I think a new blue strap will set it off nicely.

That's a thing of breauty, really love how the outer case matches the waffle dial, nice and unusual. Good find especially getting it new after all this time!

Good looking watch and something a bit different from the usual makes. interesting to think that at one stage Longines was better known and more highly regarded than Rolex.

That is one lovely looking watch!

Master
    Congratulation that is a great looking watch.

Master
    Great classic looking watch and excellent photos.

Journeyman
    Amazing timepiece!

Grand Master
    Looks nice apart from the green strap.

What happens when the case gets marked and scratched? Looks nigh-on impossible to refinish if it gets a significant mark on the sides.

Paul

Lovely Tim, lovely.
    And magnificent photography too.
    Personally, I think a black strap would suit that best, not blue (and definitely not, errrr, green).
    Dave

Glorious! : )

Craftsman
    Lovely, that dial is a thing of beauty, not sure on the shape of the hands but I do like the blue colour. As others have said the green strap is not to my taste.

The blue hands with the unbleached blue strap were lovely 😍 I'd forgotten all about this model, congrats on the find and the excellent write up. May I ask what the eventual price was?

Master
    Oh...that is sooooo nice.

May you wear it in health....along with the other 19.

Looks nice. The power reserve ensures that it gets a second look. The strap would originally have been a very dark blue.

The movement nicely fills the case and I think is from the ETA Valgranges line, based upon the Valjoux 7750 but as a three handed watch and intended for larger cases.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.abl...droid-motorola

..just a quick update, there will be a delay on the strap order...not expected in until mid December now, so I guess the grand reveal at home could be my Crimbo present to myself...hee heee! May have a look to see if there is a generic strap in a different colour/material that may tied me over. Thanks for all the positive comments, I do intend to be very careful with this one, as Paul mentioned the potential for the need to refinish the case is unthinkable.

Craftsman
    Longines are great value watches, and your looks a cracker

Thanks for all the positive comments.
    As requested, a few quick pics to show what the blue croc should have looked like way back in 2009. Personally I think the expense was worth it.....

[IMG]image upload[/IMG]
    [IMG]windows 7 screen shot[/IMG]
    [IMG]adult image sharing[/IMG]

It is lovely. Well done.
    Wish you could show off the blue hands a bit better in the last bunch of pics.
    Enjoy it.