closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How long does a grail stay a grail after you land it ?

How long does a grail stay a grail after you land it ?

Recently came across a 1680 Sub. Wanted one for last 15 years and watched the price steadily rise.

They don't come up too often on here and especially with a nice patina to the the dial.

A month ago Dad died suddenly and it made me started me thinking about putting things into perspective. A week later the 1680 came onto SC and was just about the perfect watch that I had hankered over for years. Not only that, the seller lives only 8 miles from me so I was easily able to 'test drive', and to top it off the watch is even my birth year.

Suffice to say I now have what I would describe as my personal grail on my wrist.

How long does a grail stay a grail for everyone that found theirs ?

Once acquired the grail status is gone.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Does the same apply with women? ;)

Totally agree with this, I would have said about 10 minutes. I've had a DRSD and an Aquanaut thinking both were grails - they were when I was after them, once on the wrist they become just another watch and eventually get flipped so you can chase after the next grail.

Grand Master
    I still delight in my exp ii every time I wear it, had it a year now.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    I'm not sure I'm as much of an enthusiast as others on here and so I'm not sure I'd define anything as being a specific grail. Mine are more short-term infatuations and longer term aspirations without any element of quest to attain them. My one 'always in the back of my mind' purchase was a gold JLC Reverso. Classic design, elegantly understated even though it was a YG watch. Brown strap, YG clasp - a lovely thing...until I owned it. I simply never got it out of the box - too good to wear, too easy to scratch, too...I have no real idea why after having bought it the idea of it faded so fast. I sold it for what I paid and haven't had a single aspiration watch of any real value that I've acted on since.

I disagree in part Andy; two of my 'grails' have become exit pieces now. The appreciation of them will never diminish.

I remember when I was a child, someone pinched a copy of Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex But Were To Afraid To Ask off their parents. The rapidity of post-coital detumescence was one piece of information he chose to share with the rest of us.

I remember what I called my first grail a Eterna Kontiki Super IDF that I got that was some years ago then there will be another I stopped calling some watches grails that I can get. The ones were the price tag is really unattainable like a issued Rolex sub or a US issued Tornek-Rayville TR900 or issued Omega 300 those are what I would call my grail watches every body has there own but these I can never get a grail is some thing you can never afford or have not one you can get eventually.

Craftsman
    My "transitional" 14270 Exp is my grail. Had it 3 months and wear it every day, love it.

Craftsman
    The hunt is always better than the kill.

Sometimes you need to sell it to realise that it was a grail. So it happened with my Mark XV. Got another one, this is here to stay, and I've had for more than a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I remember when I was a child, someone pinched a copy of Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex But Were To Afraid To Ask off their parents. The rapidity of post-coital detumescence was one piece of information he chose to share with the rest of us.
    Not forgetting the paradoxical refractory period

Its always nice to have something to look forward to

Wisdom right here.

Depends on your definition of grail and why it is a grail for you.
    Yes, the thrill of the hunt is gone once you acquire a 'grail' but if it really is a grail, it remains special.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I'm not sure I'm as much of an enthusiast as others on here and so I'm not sure I'd define anything as being a specific grail. Mine are more short-term infatuations and longer term aspirations without any element of quest to attain them. My one 'always in the back of my mind' purchase was a gold JLC Reverso. Classic design, elegantly understated even though it was a YG watch. Brown strap, YG clasp - a lovely thing...until I owned it. I simply never got it out of the box - too good to wear, too easy to scratch, too...I have no real idea why after having bought it the idea of it faded so fast. I sold it for what I paid and haven't had a single aspiration watch of any real value that I've acted on since.
    Heartbreaking story!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Pretty much sums it up for me, it's all about the chase!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    I suspect this is the case for many purchases.

Sorry to hear about your loss chime101.

Banned
    I’ve worn the same watch for over six months, without any consideration of replacing it.

However, I still lust after other watches, but not at the detriment to the ‘grail’ I now own.

In the past, I have sold everything in search of said ‘grail’.

Master
    Was it Morrissey who sang, "We want the ones we can't have...."?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've wanted a Damasko DC66 for years, and recently acquired one. My love of it hasn't diminished and I have no plans to get rid of it... A good few years before that it was the Zeno Godat II Reserve De Marche... I bought that on this forum and still own it

I think that the term 'grail' is cliché.....The (Holy) Grail was a single unique item that people spent their entire lives searching for and failing to find.

Perhaps, and on a separate thread, we should have the good folk here nominate one that a mere abundance funds alone could not secure....

How long does a grail stay a grail after you land it ?

As long as you continue to view it as a grail.

Might take me several years to find the latest must have "grail" then once I've manage to get it on the wrist the warm glow usually lasts between a week & a month, then I'm already lining up the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Once the order button has been clicked the grail status is gone.
    Fixed.

I don't know if I really have a grail or have ever had one. I generally want a few watches and often forget exactly what the list looks like but of the ones I've bought and kept, I still enjoy wearing and owning them.

I lie, I'd like an NSX. I doubt I'll ever get one but I know I'd love every moment driving it.
    "A man of little significance"

It's always about the chase, once you have it it's just another one.
    Horrible addiction!!!

My Hamilton was my grail for about an hour after purchasing, onto the next one now :lol:

The grail stays forever. If not, it's not the grail.
    That's probably the reason why nobody can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

I lie, I'd like an NSX. I doubt I'll ever get one but I know I'd love every moment driving it.

Great taste.

Mitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I disagree in part Andy; two of my 'grails' have become exit pieces now. The appreciation of them will never diminish.
    I agree, I have my grail Rolex, AP and PP trio after many years of buying and selling and a warm feeling of contentment, and I can't see anything getting in the way of that. It's like a marriage now, it's not as exciting as the hunt and the chase of dating, but it is stronger and lasts longer.
    Last edited by aksing; 8th November 2016 at 00:22.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I agree, I have my grail Rolex, AP and PP trio after many years of buying and selling and a warm feeling of contentment, and I can't see anything getting in the way of that. It's like a marriage now, it's not as exciting as the hunt and the chase of dating, but it is stronger and lasts longer.
    Until the divorce.
    Cynical?..................Moi?

K.

Craftsman
    Surely a grail is only a grail until you hanker after something else? I'm not saying you'll not buy/sell anything else as that's pretty much a given - dif french between an itch and a grail...

Craftsman
    Having multiple 'Grail' watches is a bit like those CD releases....
    Best Rock Album Ever.... Followed 6 months later by
    Best Rock Album Ever 2

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I received my second 'grail' this morning and am already trying to decide what will be next...

Expensive hobby this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by krusty View Post
    Until the divorce.
    Cynical?..................Moi?

K.
    Ha! Or until they get their heads cut off or throats sliced at a red wedding, to continue my GOT half-quote.

So far 1549 days.

I bought my vintage Breitling Cosmonaute that long ago and it's still, for me, the best watch there is.

Sure it's not the most expensive watch, it hasn't got the most remarkable horology or feature a case made of some exotic material, but it's still my favourite watch ever!

Finding a good one was a little harder than wandering into the local AD with my Credit Card, too, so I think that's more of a grail than some.

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I get why you say that...but I've owned a lot of 'longed-for' cars and the fantasy of ownership and driving is even more acutely inverse to the experience in so many instances in my experience. I too wanted an NSX but it's just wasn't nice place to be (especially if you're tall) and didn't feel all that special unless you were on-it, fast driving and making the most of the balance and performance. A test drive isn't like trying on a watch to see if you like it and living with a watch in your collection isn't like using a car regularly.

The thrill of the chase with cars is all too often better than the reality of ownership sadly. My Alfa SZ. Lancia Integrale and Bristol 411 ownership (among others) attest to that.