closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dictaphones and voice recognition software - advice sought.

Dictaphones and voice recognition software - advice sought.

Hi All,

I know this place contains a wealth knowledge and I'm looking some advice.

I'm heading into the last 2 months of my degree and will be carrying out qualitative research that requires interviewing about 8 individuals before and after intervention. Based on previous dissertations, I expect to have around 70 - 100 pages of transcript (I'm no typist) . Can anyone recommend a decent digital dictaphone (student budget) I'll be using my phone as a back-up and is anyone aware of voice recognition software that can convert audio to word ?

Also any software that can theme word document would be great

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post

Also any software that can theme word document would be great

Thanks in advance
    ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    ???????
    Hi Alan,

I need to look for 'themes' in what the participants are telling me, I'm doing behaviour in sport, so example themes could be such things as 'motivation, ego, individuality, cheating, respect' etc....

I can do it the traditional way by getting the highlighters out, but if there's technology that can assist I'd be interested in using it.

cheers

Hi Alan,

I need to look for 'themes' in what the participants are telling me, I'm doing behaviour in sport, so example themes could be such things as 'motivation, ego, individuality, cheating, respect' etc....

I can do it the traditional way by getting the highlighters out, but if there's technology that can assist I'd be interested in using it.

cheers
    That really depends how complex you want to get - does your University have a subscription to something like Nvivo? It's worth checking if it covers you as a student.

No subscription that I'm aware of and I have asked, as recently as this morning in class. I could search a few websites to see if student access is offered ..

Thanks

Craftsman
    Dragon Naturally Speaking has been the go to in this segment for years, and does have the option to import certain audio files, but you might want to take a look at this service called Trint. It is pay per minute though.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/trint-...transcription/

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Dragon Naturally Speaking has been the go to in this segment for years, and does have the option to import certain audio files, but you might want to take a look at this service called Trint. It is pay per minute though.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/trint-...transcription/
    Great article thanks for posting.. I'm going to try Windows 10 built in voice recognition to see how it performs.

Great article thanks for posting.. I'm going to try Windows 10 built in voice recognition to see how it performs.

Windows is pretty weak in that score - if you really have to do it yourself - often the quickest way is to use dragon but play the recorders at half speed or so in your ear and use dragon to talk them in (so you repeat what is being said).

Master
    Dragon is very good we played with the subscription version, once tweaked became very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Windows is pretty weak in that score - if you really have to do it yourself - often the quickest way is to use dragon but play the recorders at half speed or so in your ear and use dragon to talk them in (so you repeat what is being said).
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Dragon is very good we played with the subscription version, once tweaked became very accurate.
    Alan, thank you very much for your continued input on the thread, I really appreciate it and it has opened my eyes to options I hadn't known about before... I just need to buy a dictaphone, headset and the software now..if you know where to find them cheap that would be great also I'll ask around uni on Friday.

g40steve, thanks for taking the time to reply

I use Dragon for Mac about every day. It has a transcription facility to use a voice file recorded on a dictaphone. I use an Olympus DS2500 but the file has to be converted before transcription. You can get decent units for well under £100 - and v little on ebay. With Olympus you need to the software that comes with the kit to manage and convert files

TBH I use the dictaphone less and less other than to record meetings which I just store as voice files - the download / file conversion is a PIA.

Once trained up, accuracy is very good and beats spots off my typing. Cant do without it.