closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2001 - Space Oddesy - Do you get it?

2001 - Space Oddesy - Do you get it?

I love this film.

Put it on with my Mrs tonight, she thought it was rather dull and went to bed before Dr. Haywoood Floyd had even got to the moon.

Should I be bothered, or is it an odd film that most people just don't get?
    Last edited by mr noble; 29th October 2016 at 14:22.

Grand Master
    One of the greatest films ever made!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Never seen the whole movie, it looked intresting will add it to the list. It takes many attempts to watch a film once the kids and wife go to bed, if I am not working or busy I seem to go into sleep mode to quickly.

I really want to see this one though, as i remember bits from when I was younger watching it with my Dad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I love this film.

Put it on with my Mrs tonight and she huffed and puffed about it being dull and went to bed before Dr. Haywoood Floyd had even got to the moon.

Should I be looking for a new girlfriend, or is it an odd film that most people just don't get?
    I love 2001. Having said that, there isn't much to "get" on an intellectual level. It is so open to interpretation that one either likes it or don't. My wife finds it dull too and she is a keeper regardless ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I love 2001. Having said that, there isn't much to "get" on an intellectual level. It is so open to interpretation that one either likes it or don't. My wife finds it dull too and she is a keeper regardless ;-)
    It's a great film, especially given it's nearly 50 years old, but I agree that there's no point getting too bogged-down analysing it, especially the final segment. It's Kubrick runnng with the whole "Man's final evolution/transcendence" concept IMO, but more importantly it's just great cinema. (Like the bone in the air/space ship transition at the beginning - just beautiful).

2001 is part one of four.

2001: A Space Odyssey
    2010: Odyssey Two
    2061: Odyssey Three
    3001: The Final Odyssey

And then you discover Rama.

Then you wake up and ten years have passed.

I believe it is better she chooses to go to bed early!

It's one of the films that changed my life. My wife loves it too.

I was taken to the Newcastle Odeon to see it when it came out. I had no idea what it was about and didnt really care - I simply marvelled at the space ships and special effects.

A few years later I read the Arthur C Clarke book that it was based on and then understood the story. These days a couple of minutes on Wikipedia would have enlightened me I suppose.

Over the past 50 years I have watched it many times and whilst some of the special effects are now a little dated others have stood up really well. It has never lost its impact and power for me. I have a number of DVD issues and often listen to the CD soundtrack on longer car journeys.

§WMBO doesnt really like it though she is of the view that it is a classic piece of cinema.

I think that its one of the best films ever made.

Last edited by Velorum; 29th October 2016 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    2001 is part one of four.

2001: A Space Odyssey
    2010: Odyssey Two
    2061: Odyssey Three
    3001: The Final Odyssey

And then you discover Rama.

Then you wake up and ten years have passed.

I believe it is better she chooses to go to bed early!
    The Rama series of books are great.

Master
    I do get it, but I don't think I would have if I hadn't read The Sentinel first.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I do get it, but I don't think I would have if I hadn't read The Sentinel first.
    I bought The Sentinel with my pocket money. It sat in my desk at school for a long time - I just couldn't get into it.

I saw 2001 when I was 14 and couldn't make that much sense of that either. I've watched it a lot in the intervening years and I've begun to understand it a little more. I like the portrayal of the isolation and silence of space.

And Leonard Rossiter, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I was taken to the Newcastle Odeon to see it when it came out. I had no idea what it was about and didnt really care - I simply marvelled at the space ships and special effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I bought The Sentinel with my pocket money.
    Ah but did you use your pocket money for one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Ah but did you use your pocket money for one of these?

Would have loved that. I was too busy with Spits and Bf109s.

Journeyman
    Great film, that always reminds me of someone I used to work with. My name is Dave and there is the famous scene when the astronaut is in the Exit/entrance bay and says "Open the pod bay doors HAL" and HAL replies "I`m sorry Dave I cant do that." Its a very tense scene.

The colleauge in question would say this everytime I asked him to do anything. I would say "pass me that pencil" and he would utter the reply imitating the famous scene then laugh like a drain. I found it funny for about the first 10 times then after that it not so much!

Everytime I watch the film or hear it discussed it never fails to remind me of him

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Should I be looking for a new girlfriend, or is it an odd film that most people just don't get?
    They aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    ...I read the Arthur C Clarke book that it was based on ....
    It's a little more complicated. Kubrick read The Sentinel, talked to Clarke, Clarke wrote a screenplay, Kubrick decided to film an entirely different version of Clarke's screenplay, Clarke then published his screenplay as a novel.

It's interesting watching Black Mirror in the present day and hearing everyone saying that it presents the state of alienation of the technological era. Which it does, but Kubrick had already nailed it about 50 years ago.

Think I ought to edit my original post, just in case the Mrs sees it!

I guess it's fair enough not to really like the film. It can certainly be said that it's a little slow and not a lot happens. Nothing like today's action packed films.

I guess it's a marmite thing.

Some love it and some don't.

As a spectacle very good, excellent quotes and music, but for entertainment a bit meh!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I think Andyg nails it for me.

I can luxuriate in the images, still, which says a lot, but for a lot of the film nothing is actually happening to advance the plot!

I'm intrigued by the person who said it changed their life. How?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    A good film and quite straightforward - I found that a lot of people of the era that watched it confused the theme or missed it by becoming over engrossed in the "grandiose" cinematography and music score - which was a magnificent display of both.

It was based on the sentinel as I understood it and previous posts spotted the theme - but lets face it - it wasn't difficult.

B

I love it, awesome film. My wife is like your Mrs though mr noble, she finds it boring and odd. She doesn't like any sci fi though, which pains me as I can't get enough of it (mostly books though).

Back in the day, I suspect the best idea was to have watched it whilst stoned ...

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    One of the greatest films ever made!
    +1

While I know for some people this is classic sci-fi but I found it very slow paced and sleep inducing rubbish.

I have always been fascinated by the lengths Kubrick went to in order to make things as realistic and in line with the scientific thinking of the day as possible.

The set for the interior of the Discovery One was enormous and the whole thing rotated about a single point in order to simulate the artificial gravity set up of the spacecraft

Clarke was also present on set to advise Kubrick

As regards the design of the Discovery One - NASA design engineers were involved with this

Interesting to note that due to the proposed thermonuclear propulsion system design (which is why the ship is so long - to keep the living quarters shielded from harmful emissions) it was thought that large cooling fins would be needed - as shown in this early pre-production design

Kubrick decided against this as he thought that the fins looked too much like wings and he didnt want people to think that the Discovery could enter a planets atmosphere.

When the film was completed he ordered all the sets to be destroyed - though it is said that the large model of the space station survived for a number of years on a rubbish tip near the studio and was eventually destroyed by vandals.

I read at one time that HAL was a one letter shift back from IBM.

Theres some articles online that HAL stands for Heuristic & Algorithmic but I still like the HAL - IBM thing.

There's a similar theory that Windows NT was one letter on from VMS 😁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There's a similar theory that Windows NT was one letter on from VMS 
    They had the same designer, so that's quite likely, although the W was going to be in there regardless :)

I know 😊

As you say though it was always going to be W something.

M