closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zero gravity watch testing!

Zero gravity watch testing!

I do not know if it has been some discussion about that already, I can't find anything on the forum.
    I wonder if the use of mechanical watches in zero-gravity environment need special regulation.
    I enclose an interesting article about the testing, but the results are still unclear.

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/ze...ements-2451337

In fact it is known that the gravitational field affects the accuracy of a mechanical watch. From the mathematical formulas that describe the behavior of the real pendulum, this fact is also clear. (Hence the invention of tourbillon). Searching the Internet I have not found explicit opinion. Many agree, and it seems obvious that in zero gravity conditions mechanical watch should be more accurate, but what about the timing (Again, does it need special regulation or not)?

Every opinion from respected members of the forum is welcome.

Blog Entries
    Pah! Testing at 0G and 2G. That's nothing. NASA tested at 40G and much harsher conditions many moons ago: t

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/04/...sting-process/

Comments: Not sure what a pendulum has to do with the mechanics of a spring driven watch??

I really doubt gravitational effects are significant compared to the momentum effects of the wearer moving about have significant effect on watch accuracy, or how wound or unwound the mainspring is will have more significant effect.

More worrying in a zero gravity environment would be cosmic rays and radiation outside the Van Allen belt.

Happy Friday.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th October 2016 at 20:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    Every opinion from respected members of the forum is welcome.
    I could have answered your question, but since my opinion is not welcome I shall refrain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I could have answered your question, but since my opinion is not welcome I shall refrain.
    Yo, Respect, Bro !

Sorry, I don't understand why?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand why?
    The OP requires one to be respected on the forum.

Craftsman
    Hahaha funny Sorry, I've nothing else to add, I just found that too funny

To test the effect of microgravity it would have been rather cheaper to strap the watches and test equipment to a bungee jumper, and easier to repeat as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Pah! Testing at 0G and 2G. That's nothing. NASA tested at 40G and much harsher conditions many moons ago: t

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/04/...sting-process/

Comments: Not sure what a pendulum has to do with the mechanics of a spring driven watch??

I really doubt gravitational effects are significant compared to the momentum effects of the wearer moving about have significant effect on watch accuracy, or how wound or unwound the mainspring is will have more significant effect.

More worrying in a zero gravity environment would be cosmic rays and radiation outside the Van Allen belt.

Happy Friday.

Martyn.
    The balance wheel in a watch is just a development of a pendulum. Regular oscillations are required for accurate time keeping be it against gravity in a pendulum or against a spring in a balance wheel it is still a harmonic oscillator.

I have no idea how momentum is effected in space? p=mv mass obviously still exists in space as it does on earth, but I find it hard to get my head around how momentum works in space.
    Positional changes of rate in a watch come from things like increased friction in the crown down position due to the pivots acting on a bigger area on the pivot than dial up when only the end of the pivot is in contact with the jewel. How would this happen in space if the balance is not 'weighed' down and resting on the side of the pivot instead of the end?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Hahaha funny Sorry, I've nothing else to add, I just found that too funny
    Then my work here is done

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    The balance wheel in a watch is just a development of a pendulum. Regular oscillations are required for accurate time keeping be it against gravity in a pendulum or against a spring in a balance wheel it is still a harmonic oscillator.

I have no idea how momentum is effected in space? p=mv mass obviously still exists in space as it does on earth, but I find it hard to get my head around how momentum works in space.
    Positional changes of rate in a watch come from things like increased friction in the crown down position due to the pivots acting on a bigger area on the pivot than dial up when only the end of the pivot is in contact with the jewel. How would this happen in space if the balance is not 'weighed' down and resting on the side of the pivot instead of the end?
    momentum is not affected by space!!

automatic mechanical watches continue to get wound regardless of local gravitation fields.

I would hope tolerencies in watch making would not allow for the balance to float around.

As other have said I will resist further comment.