closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing several automatic watches....

Master

Managing several automatic watches....

Hi

How do people manage several automatic watches?

I have recently started to get into watches a bit more and my first main watch purchase being a new model Tudor Black Bay with the 70hr power reserve, which so far I am liking and have found the long power reserve to make it an easy watch to live with. As a second automatic I bought a Tag Heuer - calibre 6 (WV5111.FC6350) and quickly learnt that the shorter power reserve is a bit of a pain, in that it needs constant topping up to keep it running so pretty much has to be worn every other day to keep it running.

My rough aim is to avoid watch winders and the constant re-setting of the time.... and also to have a few automatics with a decent enough power reserve that i can wear them regularly but will survive a few days off the wrist.

Just wondered if anyone else had any other approaches to this ?

Cheers

I'm happy to wind and set as required, I see it as part of the attraction.

Give manual wind pieces a try too.

Master
    Welcome to the forum. As above, I also like to pick the watch up I'm wearing that day and wind/set it. It's part of the ritual

Master
    yes i have wondered about a wind up also, some of them seem to have pretty long reserves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Welcome to the forum. As above, I also like to pick the watch up I'm wearing that day and wind/set it. It's part of the ritual

I am definitely having to set the Tag!

As above....I think manual wind is the only way to go for a mechanical that is not worn daily or, at least, for long periods in rotation. Sooner or later you're going to drain the reserve of an auto.

I empathise.......autos are lovely, but casually worn are so frustrating, having to reset every time.

I gave up. Quartz is the only movement I can live with.
    Last edited by Mouse; 27th October 2016 at 23:21.

Nothing to stop you from winding the two you have.

D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    Hi

I have recently started to get into watches a bit more and my first main watch purchase being a new model Tudor Black Bay with the 70hr power reserve, which so far I am liking and have found the long power reserve to make it an easy watch to live with. As a second automatic I bought a Tag Heuer - calibre 6 (WV5111.FC6350) and quickly learnt that the shorter power reserve is a bit of a pain, in that it needs constant topping up to keep it running so pretty much has to be worn every other day to keep it running.

My rough aim is to avoid watch winders and the constant re-setting of the time.... and also to have a few automatics with a decent enough power reserve that i can wear them regularly but will survive a few days off the wrist.

Cheers
    It's not for everyone, but I have found the simplest and most effective solution. You need a watch box that can hold all your automatics. Arrange them there neatly. Now buy a quartz watch. Preferably an eco-drive. Set the time and leave it somewhere well lit, preferably next to the watch box holding the automatics. Now each morning, when you look at the big box of autos and think "Flock, I can't be assed/don't-have-time to wind and set an auto!" you simply put on the quartz and go about your life like a normal person.

Slightly less optimal but still quite livable, is to have a pile of manual wind watches with no date. Choose one, wind it, set the time, and you're off.

Or, as Confucius once said: "Man with one auto watch perfectly happy, man with two auto watches permanently grumpy git."
    Last edited by seffrican; 28th October 2016 at 07:19.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Nothing to stop you from winding the two you have.

D
    Though with screw down crowns, you don't want to be constantly having to do that. Not good for the threads.

The whole point to this madness is handling a different precious every morning and stroking it back to life.

Oops, wrong forum

Master
    I am happy to wind sometimes, just not every morning for me...

There seem to be a good few watches with decent reserves around 70h, the Tudor, some of the Breitlings have the same reserve also, and i am sure others...
    Found a Tissot Powermatic 80 Chronometer which is 80 hours, COSC certified and £710... which seems like it would be easy to live with and good value for the specs...

So running 2-3 autos with occasional winding only seems like a reasonable goal to me...

I have a few Citizen eco-drives that are good for any day and i don't want to stop wearing them...

I will look into the mechanicals a bit more though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Though with screw down crowns, you don't want to be constantly having to do that. Not good for the threads.
    Interesting perspective, it's never worried me if I'm honest maybe because I've never had a problem.

Cheers

D

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The whole point to this madness is handling a different precious every morning and stroking it back to life.

Oops, wrong forum
    different

Just resign yourself to only having one automatic on the go at any time, it's simpler and will save on servicing.
    Also bear in mind that the ETA 2824 doesn't take kindly to being hand wound - just look it up. (This may not apply to your collection).
    I use quartz for telling the time, autos just for kicks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Just resign yourself to only having one automatic on the go at any time, it's simpler and will save on servicing.
    Also bear in mind that the ETA 2824 doesn't take kindly to being hand wound - just look it up. (This may not apply to your collection).
    I use quartz for telling the time, autos just for kicks.
    i will look that up to see thanks.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    ZzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzz

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    OP needs to learn a lot more about mechanical watches, totally the wrong approach to try and keep them all running. If you owned a few cars would you leave the engines running 24/7?...........no, I thought not.

He'll learn eventually. You accept they they stop, then you reset them.......simples.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OP needs to learn a lot more about mechanical watches, totally the wrong approach to try and keep them all running. If you owned a few cars would you leave the engines running 24/7?...........no, I thought not.

He'll learn eventually. You accept they they stop, then you reset them.......simples.

Paul
    I had not considered that point of view. Something to consider for me, perhaps my initial intention is off the mark...

Blog Entries
    You accept they they stop, then you reset them.......simples.
    l
    Unless it's a Vostok Amphibia

Master
    Sensible people have only one watch. If you read this forum, that probably will not apply.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Sensible people have only one watch. If you read this forum, that probably will not apply.
    And when you find joy changing straps and bezel inserts...

Craftsman

Paul
    I agree. I leave my watches in the drawer and wind them, adjust the date and time when I want to wear them.

Master
    I often set and wind more than one watch a day, only because I can't decide which one to wear.

Blog Entries
    I have 55 automatic watches (and 49 manual wind watches) and I simply set and use them as needed.

I do have a dual watch winder but usually only keep a single watch on it: A triple date moon phase that I like to keep wound and properly in sync.

Sounds to me like it would be better to accept that the watches will run down and need to be re-set when next worn. It's no big deal to manage.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 28th October 2016 at 07:08.

This is why my autos get worn for five days or so, and then forgotten about for the rest of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    It's not for everyone, but I have found the simplest and most effective solution. You need a watch box that can hold all your automatics. Arrange them there neatly. Now buy a quartz watch. Preferably an eco-drive. Set the time and leave it somewhere well lit, preferably next to the watch box holding the automatics. Now each morning, when you look at the big box of autos and think "F$$k, I can't be assed/don't-have-time to wind and set an auto!" you simply put on the quartz and go about your life like a normal person.

Slightly less optimal but still quite livable, is to have a pile of manual wind watches with no date. Choose one, wind it, set the time, and you're off.

Or, as Confucius once said: "Man with one auto watch perfectly happy, man with two auto watches permanently grumpy git."
    I'd edit this if I were you!

Master
    I often find I've been wearing a watch half the day and still haven't set the time!

I think you either accept autos stop and need resetting, or go quartz. I don't think it's practical to keep more than 2 autos going without winders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I'd edit this if I were you!
    You're right. I forget there are parts of the forum that aren't the Bear Pit.

Master
    I have to wind and set a watch pretty much every day. It takes a few seconds, and it isn't that difficult. It just becomes second nature in your morning routine, no different to brushing your teeth or making the bed.

Banned

If you find your TAG a pain, then sell it and live happily ever after.

All of my mechanical watches are manual wind - these days I set and wind them as needed. I try and run then all for at least a couple of days evert month though its not the end of the world if its longer. I used to fret about looking in the watch box and seeing pieces showing different times due to some not being wound. It doesn't bother me at all now.

Master
    Choosing, winding, setting, that's all part of the ritual for me.

I do have at least one quartz in the collection, though, if I'm running late and in a grab-and-go mood. I do also wear a Fitbit that tells the time, so could conceivably grab an auto and wind/ set it later, once I get to work.

Master
    I wear my watches for one week at a time then switch. Wind it manually and set the time on Sunday evening then the daily wear is enough to keep them running. What bothers me the most though is non quick set date. Thankfully, I only have one of those.

Paul

This. I mean, how long does it take to get an auto running and set it anyway?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    OP needs an eco drive! :)

Craftsman
    I wear one watch during the week and then at the weekend I pop it on the winder and pick something different. Setting it (or them) has become an enjoyable weekend ritual.

I generally wear one watch for a full week and then swap to another.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    I often find I've been wearing a watch half the day and still haven't set the time!

I think you either accept autos stop and need resetting, or go quartz. I don't think it's practical to keep more than 2 autos going without winders.

Yes I think two seems the right number of autos if i wanted to keep the two running as per my original aim... that or just get used to the winding up as and when required... which is fine.. just not every day...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I generally wear one watch for a full week and then swap to another.

and i can see this being a way around it too, just not to swap them so often.. hence any resetting is less.... thanks..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have 55 automatic watches (and 49 manual wind watches) and I simply set and use them as needed.

I do have a dual watch winder but usually only keep a single watch on it: A triple date moon phase that I like to keep wound and properly in sync.

Sounds to me like it would be better to accept that the watches will run down and need to be re-set when next worn. It's no big deal to manage.
    Sounds like a collection and a half! Acceptance of the resetting does seem a popular point of view among the responses...

Master
    Sounds like a collection and a half! Acceptance of the resetting does seem a popular point of view among the responses...
    Glad you've seen the light ;-)

I think it would be more hassle trying to keep all watches wound off the wrist than just resetting a watch when you come to wear it.

Someone raised a good point about those with a thread, so these are the ones you might need a winder for or wear more often. Apart from that, just consider the reset part of the ritual!

Wear one or one on each wrist.
    Wrap one or two in bubblewrap and stick them in your pocket for the day.

K.

Give 'em to the kids to wear.
    Pay migrant workers to wear them.

It's up to you of course. But if you reset them frequently it will probably go from being a bit of a pain to a quick and pleasant little ritual - it does get easier. And you'll appreciate the watches that are easy to set, which will give you an excuse to buy some more :)

Welcome by the way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It's up to you of course. But if you reset them frequently it will probably go from being a bit of a pain to a quick and pleasant little ritual - it does get easier. And you'll appreciate the watches that are easy to set, which will give you an excuse to buy some more :)

Welcome by the way.
    thanks... an excuse to buy more.... i like that idea...

Master

Paul
    I see your point, but that is a common and poor comparison. Watches are designed to run 24/7, a car engine is not........simpleton

I don't have any really complicated watches so I don't feel any hardship if I have to set them as and when I want to wear.

I have around 30+ auto's at the minute and no watchwinder - just set them and wear them. You'd have to check the timing anyway if the watch hadn't been worn for a couple of weeks, as you could be a couple of minutes late or early ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Now, I can't stand the thought of auto watches winding down, unless they are declared out of current use, so I have to wear any autos or kinetics at some point every day to keep them fully wound/charged! Fortunately I have only 1 auto and 1 kinetic, and I don't think I could handle any more!

Journeyman
    What's the problem with winders? Your doctor prohibited to use one?