closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Building regulations/drainage question

Building regulations/drainage question

I know we have a wide variety of experience on this forum which is one of the things that makes it so great so I'm hoping someone has some advice for this situation.

My neighbour has been doing some alterations to his house, including an extension (which has been signed off by the building inspectors). As a separate job to the extension, he's moved his kitchen but the problem is that he seems to have put the foul water outlet from his sink/washing machine straight out of the wall and is venting it into a small trench he's dug right outside his back door. This trench is now over flowing with foul water. This does not seem right to me. I obviously need to speak to him about this but what are the rules on venting foul water in an urban environment? Is this something the council planning department might be able to help with or is it an environmental health issue? I'm not sure who I need to speak to to get this sorted. Any ideas oh great and wise TZ-UK members?

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

That's not right ,no building inspector would pass it,have a word with building control at the council

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't right. The question is, do I try and resolve this between ourselves or do I get building control involved straight away?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't right. The question is, do I try and resolve this between ourselves or do I get building control involved straight away?
    dont involve anyone yet, go and have a chat with him,

are you sure the trench is not temporary until he can fit a waste pipe into the main sewer ?

the trench itself might be there to fit the waste pipe into, he would get a sign off if that works was pending, with an appointment booked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush;[URL="tel:4121588"
    4121588[/URL]]Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't right. The question is, do I try and resolve this between ourselves or do I get building control involved straight away?
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood;[URL="tel:4121589"
    4121589[/URL]]dont involve anyone yet, go and have a chat with him,

are you sure the trench is not temporary until he can fit a waste pipe into the main sewer ?

the trench itself might be there to fit the waste pipe into, he would get a sign off if that works was pending, with an appointment booked in.
    Sorry Jason, but I disagree. There's no way he'll have got a temporary dispensation to discharge water into a trench and there's nothing to be gained by discussing it. I'd talk to the local building control officer and ask for a visit ASAP. There's no reason for such a conversation to be referred to, either.

Master
    It is not right, should be connected to the foul,
    If speaking with the neigbour has no effect, ring council and ask for building control, get your camera out and ring environmental health. Be ready for your neighbour to never speak to you again.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Be ready for your neighbour to never speak to you again.
    That is what I'm afraid of. Good neighbourly relations are worth their weight in gold and I don't really want to destroy our otherwise tolerant relationship unless there is no alternative. The problem is I've had a word with him but I don't think he's going to do a proper job, if everything else he's ever done on the place is anything to go by. Looks like we both might lose on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush;[URL="tel:4121630"
    4121630[/URL]]That is what I'm afraid of. Good neighbourly relations are worth their weight in gold and I don't really want to destroy our otherwise tolerant relationship unless there is no alternative. The problem is I've had a word with him but I don't think he's going to do a proper job, if everything else he's ever done on the place is anything to go by. Looks like we both might lose on this one.
    As I said above, there's no reason for anyone to know you've spoken to the BCO. They act on info provided day in, day out and they have a vested interest in promoting that, anyway.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I'd have a chat with him first before involving the local authority as mentioned previously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I'd have a chat with him first before involving the local authority as mentioned previously.

This, plus take a few pictures.

That is what I'm afraid of. Good neighbourly relations are worth their weight in gold and I don't really want to destroy our otherwise tolerant relationship unless there is no alternative. The problem is I've had a word with him but I don't think he's going to do a proper job, if everything else he's ever done on the place is anything to go by. Looks like we both might lose on this one.
    Quite obviously he doesnt give a toss about your opinions or feelings on this matter ,so why are you concerned about upsetting him?
    Sounds very much as though he is the one calling the shots in the knowledge you wont do anything .
    He must be aware of the issue he has created yet chooses not to get in touch with you about resolving it .
    This issue is having an adverse effect on your property and your family ,this is NOT good neighbourly relations in any shape or form .

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As I said above, there's no reason for anyone to know you've spoken to the BCO. They act on info provided day in, day out and they have a vested interest in promoting that, anyway.
    This.

Explain your concern to BC - they can simply pay a courtesy visit to check on the build without announcing you have complained etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    My first bit of advice would be to try and resolve this amicable because you still have to live next door to him and good neighbour relationships can make life a lot more stress free. If you contact the local Building Control Department without his knowledge, he may find this to be underhanded and could annoy him and it wouldn't be too hard to guess who had tipped off the LBC officer.

I would raise my concerns with him and if you do not know exactly what does comply with the Building Regulations you could appoint and seek advice from an Approved Building Control Surveyor and this would avoid contacting the LBC officer for the time being. You could then act on his advice to resolve the issue.

Having looked at the Building Regulations part H for drainage it appears you can discharge into a gully at ground level but I'm not sure what the requirements are and I would have expected the drainage would need to be air tight subject to a soil vent pipe. Page 25 section B.4 could help you out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._AD_H_2015.pdf

Unfortunately this is a complicated matter and I would not rush into making a decision and acting without further thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post

Having looked at the Building Regulations part H for drainage it appears you can discharge into a gully at ground level but I'm not sure what the requirements are and I would have expected the drainage would need to be air tight subject to a soil vent pipe. Page 25 section B.4 could help you out.
    Very common (or certainly used to be) for kitchen waste water to discharge to an open (not air tight) drain/gully. Ours (and my parents') does.

^
    Yes but not into a what sounds like a soakaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    ^
    Yes but not into a what sounds like a soakaway.
    Agreed!

That is thrue, but he already destroyed it by his behavior. But be gentlemen and talk to him first although he doesn't deserve your kindness. This is of course only my opinion.