closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fictional character appointed as UN ambassador

Fictional character appointed as UN ambassador

Large breasted white woman in skimpy clothes who doesnt really exist has been appointed as US ambassador for girls empowerment

You couldn't make it up

Last edited by Velorum; 21st October 2016 at 18:32.

....and the problem is what, Ian?

;-)

Well, not a problem as such (who's going to complain about more pictures of Linda Carter?) but it doesnt really make any sense to me

I thought that the whole point of an ambassador was for them travel around, meet people and address various forums and conferences etc. The only way that this is going to happen with Wonder Women is for an actor to pretend to be her

Seems to me that the character is more of a mascot than an ambassador - I would have thought that there plenty of inspirational women who are real that could have been chosen

I was mainly focused on images of the wonderful Lynda Carter :-)

I've not seen the actual announcement, but the character as a mascot would indeed seem more appropriate. But then isn't an ambassador, in reality, simply a 'mascot' ....... crumbs it could get complicated!

I know what you're getting at anyway.
    Last edited by Mouse; 21st October 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Spelt her name wrong! Your fault Ian haha

Magnificent specimen of a woman.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I thought that the whole point of an ambassador was for them travel around, meet people and address various forums and conferences etc. The only way that this is going to happen with Wonder Women is for an actor to pretend to be her

Seems to me that the character is more of a mascot than an ambassador - I would have thought that there plenty of inspirational women who are real that could have been chosen
    Yup, I understand what you mean. And the particular choice of ambassador/mascot does have a certain politically correct irony, as you observed.

Could it be they couldn't find any real, living person who actually wanted to do the job?

These UN ambassador thing have always seemed to me to be something of a makework gravy train for the already rich and famous.

Difficult to make any comment without coming across as PC, but seriously? Bit early for April Fools.

In what way does this empower women?

Male fantasy - deffo!. Love it (Linda Carter,Gal Gadot), but has the world finally descended into social media, populist hell?

I know what you mean and I didnt want to go down the worthy PC road - but how is something that is the embodiment of a male fantasy going to inspire an overweight black teenager in a Soweto slum?

Sorry about that - in my defence, I used to be a Social Worker

Ban never looked better in leotard. I would.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

It's wrong.

Should have given it to Xena: Warrior Princess.

Blog Entries
    how is something that is the embodiment of a male fantasy going to inspire an overweight black teenager in a Soweto slum?
    Do UN ambassadors seriously inspire anybody, anywhere? Are any of them taken seriously, other than by the UN and by others vying for the job?

Im not sure

They havent made much impact on me personally

I think that Roger Moore used to be one and Angelina Jolie does something or other - they seem to mainly appear at press conferences in run down countries or failing States in order to raise awareness

OK, hardly that inspiring - but how helpful will a press conference in the ruins of Mosul be if its hosted by someone dressed as a fictional superhero?

Blog Entries
    OK, hardly that inspiring - but how helpful will a press conference in the ruins of Mosul be if its hosted by someone dressed as a fictional superhero?
    It won't be useful. In other words, it will be about as useful as any other UN press conference would be.

Could it be that the fictional character thing is simply highlighting the fundamental worthlessness of UN ambassadors?

You have a point

Perhaps if this proves successful then a team of fictional characters could be assembled and then despatched to war torn or desperate countries to speak at press conferences?

Gandalf, Bridget Jones, Yoda, Barbarella, Dr Who, Robbie The Robot - that would do for a start

Perhaps if this proves successful then a team of fictional characters could be assembled and then despatched to war torn or desperate countries to speak at press conferences?

Gandalf, Bridget Jones, Yoda, Barbarella, Dr Who, Robbie The Robot - that would do for a start
    I think you are on to something big here!

Can I suggest adding Harry Flashman to the All Star fictional team up.

I will email the UN today

Sterling work Mr V