closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What are you using to brown your steak? So far I mostly use a blowtorch, while I flip the steak in an iron pan with hot butter.

I am currently looking at a beefer or similar sizzler grill, but haven't decided yet.
    I brown it in a hot cast-iron pan, sometimes with butter and sometimes not.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I use this chilli recipe and tweak it a bit. I always use pork & beef mince half and half and be careful with 2 tablespoons of chilli powder, not all powders are
    equal.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-...ver-had-178865

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, will give it a whirl

Ryan

What are you using to brown your steak? So far I mostly use a blowtorch, while I flip the steak in an iron pan with hot butter.

I am currently looking at a beefer or similar sizzler grill, but haven't decided yet.
    If its a nice thick piece with lots of fat on the side (e.g. sirloin) then I use a carbon steel pan (like cast iron but smooth) bringing it up till smoking point, searing the fatty side to rend and crispen it then just a minute or so on each side cooking in its own fat.

Otherwise with a thin and lean piece of meat like a flatiron or hanger steak then it gets browned with a blow torch to avoid any overcooking, I might brown some butter to give it that nice nutty taste and some added fat.

Had a sublime rose veal steak the other night, plenty of marbling throughout and very tender, definitely glad I got a sous vide machine as it was cooked to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    As with most food-related things, seriouseats.com has reference-grade material on sous-vide technique.

Based on some very successful and tasty trials using a ghetto sous-vide setup recently (ziploc plus pot within pot to get stable temp), I'm going to get a proper immersion circulator.

It'll be nice to be able to go from fridge/freezer to table at the push of a button without compromising flavour, especially with the recent addition of a baby to the house. Simple, low-supervison and high-quality — I'm in.

All great stuff for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

And an excellent intro here:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...l-recipes.html
    'ghetto sous vide'
    You, Sir, are a hipster and I claim my five poonts
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Kicked off "Sous Vide Barbecue Pulled Pork Shoulder" a couple of hours ago, plan for ~30 hours in the sous vide @ 73.6c and then a hour and a half or so in the oven at 150c to get the "Bark".

Made my own rub, the same as when I smoke on the BBQ.

The plan is to follow this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...er-recipe.html

My wife makes the BBQ sauce but not until tomorrow, with some slow roasted veg.

Heres my rub:

- 2 Tbsp Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    - 2 Tbsp Salt
    - 1/2 Tsp Celery Seeds, Crushed
    - 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano, Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme, Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Sumac
    - 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    - 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
    - 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    - 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds, Toasted & Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds, Toasted & Ground
    - 1 1/2 Tbsp Chilli Powder
    - 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    - couple of cloves
    - few allspice berries
    - 1 Tbsp of onion powder
    - 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
    - 1 Tbsp Sichuan pepper

1.8Kg of Pork shoulder tied rubbed and ready for the sous vide:

And in the sous vide for the next 30 hours:

More tomorrow.....

Nice. I did a smoked brisket last weekend and it came out fantastic (well, a bit salty I have to admit).

Good luck and enjoy!

Awesome equipment!!

What vacuum sealer do you have? I'm currently doing the water vacuum seal method as I have a small kitchen and no space for too many gadgets!

For Sous vide, I'm using a Codlo and I'm thinking of getting a Anova.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Kicked off "Sous Vide Barbecue Pulled Pork Shoulder" a couple of hours ago, plan for ~30 hours in the sous vide @ 73.6c and then a hour and a half or so in the oven at 150c to get the "Bark".

The plan is to follow this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...er-recipe.html

Heres my rub:

- 2 Tbsp Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
    - 2 Tbsp Salt
    - 1 Tbsp Sumac
    - 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    - 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
    - 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    - 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    - couple of cloves
    - few allspice berries
    - 1 Tbsp of onion powder
    - 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
    - 1 Tbsp Sichuan pepper

1.8Kg of Pork shoulder tied rubbed and ready for the sous vide:

And in the sous vide for the next 30 hours:

More tomorrow.....

Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Awesome equipment!!

What vacuum sealer do you have? I'm currently doing the water vacuum seal method as I have a small kitchen and no space for too many gadgets!

If you're pushed for space you might like the Joule sous vide heater. It's only available in the US at the moment, but they should be coming up with a 230 V version for Europe (sometime soon I hope).

Meanwhile, if you Google 'Anova vs Joule' you'll find several comparison tests.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    If you're pushed for space you might like the Joule sous vide heater. It's only available in the US at the moment, but they should be coming up with a 230 V version for Europe (sometime soon I hope).

Joule looks like the winner. My key statistic I need is the circulation power as I tend to bulk cook. Especially using on like a full slab of brisket.

Let's hope they launch in the UK.

Cheers
    Harry
    Sent from my iPhone

Master
    Awesome equipment!!

Food saver:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FoodSaver-V...d+saver+vacuum

I'm not convinced that there is a need for connected sous vide units, I went for one of these in the end and it seems to have a more powerful heating, circulation and genrally a more industrial / professional feel than the other options, plus it has more granularity in the heating control .1 F rather than the .5 I saw on other devices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017RK2N...ords=sous+vide

On a side note....

I managed a 8hour sous vide steak in my oven. Used a standard electric fan oven with the sealed steak in a pot of water in it.

Could have improved with a thicker browned crust but Not bad without proper equipment?

My Codlo was out of action as I stupidly gave away my rice cooker that I used for sous vide.

Cheers
    Harry
    Sent from my iPhone

I'm not convinced that there is a need for connected sous vide units, I went for one of these in the end and it seems to have a more powerful heating, circulation and genrally a more industrial / professional feel than the other options, plus it has more granularity in the heating control .1 F rather than the .5 I saw on other devices.

I agree. I have this very model and find it very good. Not sure why you'd need a sous vide connected to the wi-fi to be honest. Also if you google that model you can find it for quite a bit less. Think I picked mine up for about £120 recently.

Heres my rub:

- 2 Tbsp Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
    - 2 Tbsp Salt
    - 1 Tbsp Sumac
    - 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    - 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
    - 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    - 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    - couple of cloves
    - few allspice berries
    - 1 Tbsp of onion powder
    - 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
    - 1 Tbsp Sichuan pepper
    Good shout on the recipe, just downloaded it and will try when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I agree. I have this very model and find it very good. Not sure why you'd need a sous vide connected to the wi-fi to be honest. Also if you google that model you can find it for quite a bit less. Think I picked mine up for about £120 recently.
    Good call. This definitely looks professional. Not to mention the 0.1c accuracy is far better than my Codlo.

I guess wifi can be used to control the cooking when you're not around at home? Say, I can sous vide some chicken or fish at about lunch time whilst I'm at work and get home and sear them off for an instant meal.

H
    If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness.
    Sent from my iPhone

Good call. This definitely looks professional. Not to mention the 0.1c accuracy is far better than my Codlo.

I guess wifi can be used to control the cooking when you're not around at home? Say, I can sous vide some chicken or fish at about lunch time whilst I'm at work and get home and sear them off for an instant meal.

H
    If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness.
    Sent from my iPhone
    You may find that the cooking time is too long for chicken and most definitely for fish. I sous video salmon for about 30-40 min. Check out the websites mentioned earlier for recipes and guidance

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

My sous vide fillet steak effort with brandy pepper corn sauce on a sweet potato fritter.

Came out just right

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Agree about the lack of need for connected cooking.

I am getting a bit tired with my waterbath, it's simply too heavy and not flexible enough (only 6 litres of water). Tested an Anova, but don't like the hot plastic smell which it constantly emits and it is also off by 2 degrees and the offset adjustment doesn't work (admitted by Anova support). So looking at the Vactec for now, but it says the timer only goes to 99 minutes? Can you cook longer by not using the timer at all? I need to be able to do 36hour cooks, so 99 minutes is a show-stopper.

By the way, found it here for 120 quid including free shopping in UK (price is net of VAT): http://www.ecateringonline.co.uk/vac...-uk-2208-p.asp Nice offer for somebody in the UK, but they want 30 pounds for shipping it to Luxembourg, so not for me.

Master

I am getting a bit tired with my waterbath, it's simply too heavy and not flexible enough (only 6 litres of water). Tested an Anova, but don't like the hot plastic smell which it constantly emits and it is also off by 2 degrees and the offset adjustment doesn't work (admitted by Anova support). So looking at the Vactec for now, but it says the timer only goes to 99 minutes? Can you cook longer by not using the timer at all? I need to be able to do 36hour cooks, so 99 minutes is a show-stopper.

By the way, found it here for 120 quid including free shopping in UK (price is net of VAT): http://www.ecateringonline.co.uk/vac...-uk-2208-p.asp Nice offer for somebody in the UK, but they want 30 pounds for shipping it to Luxembourg, so not for me.
    Sounds wrong to me, I set mine to cook for 30 hrs yesterday on timer, no smell of burning / plastic, 1500w element and it / my thermo pen are within .5 c of each other. Obviously I haven't tried the opposition but I'm happy with it, I think you'd be too.

I'm less happy with the cheaper sous vide roll I brought from Amazon, the seal went on my pork yesterday so I had 30 hour poached pork!

Food saver roll from now on I think.

Sounds wrong to me, I set mine to cook for 30 hrs yesterday on timer, no smell of burning / plastic, 1500w element and it / my thermo pen are within .5 c of each other. Obviously I haven't tried the opposition but I'm happy with it, I think you'd be too.

I'm less happy with the cheaper sous vide roll I brought from Amazon, the seal went on my pork yesterday so I had 30 hour poached pork!

Food saver roll from now on I think.
    Are you saying your Vactec's timer runs for 30+ hours?

I buy only Caso rolls, everything else is too risky.

Master
    Are you saying your Vactec's timer runs for 30+ hours?

I buy only Caso rolls, everything else is too risky.
    Yep time runs for 30 + hours. Just checked it and its adjustable in 1 minute increments up to 99 hours.

Will have a look at the Caso rolls.

There's a Vac-Tec bath that can be had for similar price - SV200 - 12.5l and has a lid, which might give better thermal stability than the plastic tub approach. Might be a decent package?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    There's a Vac-Tec bath that can be had for similar price - SV200 - 12.5l and has a lid, which might give better thermal stability than the plastic tub approach. Might be a decent package?
    I have had a bath for the past five years and I see moving to an immersion cooker as a major step forward. First, because of flexibilty regarding the size - anything from a regular cooking pot to a large plastic container will work, but also as the circulation is providing superior temperature stability.

If you think the plastic containers are unstable, just stack two of them into each other. It also adds insulation, and considering the price of IKEA containers the cost is minimal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I use a lid with a cutout for the vac-tec unit and place the tub on a 2cm foam mat see the photos in my earlier post, and according to my display I've never more than .2 from temp while cooking.

I have had a bath for the past five years and I see moving to an immersion cooker as a major step forward. First, because of flexibilty regarding the size - anything from a regular cooking pot to a large plastic container will work, but also as the circulation is providing superior temperature stability.

If you think the plastic containers are unstable, just stack two of them into each other. It also adds insulation, and considering the price of IKEA containers the cost is minimal.
    The Vac-Tec SV200 lists "Circulating pump helps eliminate cold spots" as one of its features: link. It also has a lower power rating (650 W) than their stand alone circulator, perhaps that's down to the insulation provided by a made for purpose bath?

However, I have to agree that the SV100 at 1500 W may well give quicker warm up times and greater flexibiltiy as to the container used, as well as taking up less storage space

The Vac-Tec SV200 lists "Circulating pump helps eliminate cold spots" as one of its features: link. It also has a lower power rating (650 W) than their stand alone circulator, perhaps that's down to the insulation provided by a made for purpose bath?

However, I have to agree that the SV100 at 1500 W may well give quicker warm up times and greater flexibiltiy as to the container used, as well as taking up less storage space
    Hadn't looked at the specifications, the pump makes a big difference. However, I find 650 Watt a little weak. It will take a long time to heat 12 ltr of water, unless you fill it with warm water already.

If anyone is in the market for an Anova: they have a Black Friday rebate. Not sure how it's going to be in the UK, but in Euroland the rebate is €60 from their 179€ retail price.

I just received a campaign email, not sure you need that in order to get the rebate. Please PM me if you are interested and cannot find it on the website.
    Last edited by Raffe; 21st November 2016 at 18:49. Reason: hfsabuz iuwjdf oi

If anyone is in the market for an Anova: they have a Black Friday rebate. Not sure how it's going to be in the UK, but in Euroland the rebate is €60 from their 179€ retail price.

I just received a campaign email, not sure you need that in order to get the rebate. Please PM me if you are interested and cannot find it on the website.
    UK has the Bluetooth version for £99 on Black Friday.

H
    Sent from my iPhone

Master

Hi Raffe, thanks for highlighting the ecatering website, mine arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to using it over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    'ghetto sous vide'
    You, Sir, are a hipster and I claim my five poonts
    Extra-ghetto lazy-man version tonight; I'm doing duck right in its retail packaging in a simple pot adjusted for temp every ten minutes:

Should crisp up nicely when I sear it in the carbon steel pan in an hour or so.

But my improvised-equipment days are soon over; the circulator's on its way.

Extra-ghetto lazy-man version tonight; I'm doing duck right in its retail packaging in a simple pot adjusted for temp every ten minutes:

Coincidently, I also did duck breast in the sous vide tonight. Nice thing is that the skin gets really soft in the water bath and then you can crisp it nicely in a pan, it insulates so well that you don't need to be afraid to overcook the duck while you are searing. Mine was fabulous!!

I did cod sous vide yesterday. Lightly salted, with some dill and a bit of butter. No vacuum for fish, just water displacement in a zip-lock bag. 45 minutes at 53 degrees. Obviously no searing - it was perfect!

Coincidently, I also did duck breast in the sous vide tonight. Nice thing is that the skin gets really soft in the water bath and then you can crisp it nicely in a pan, it insulates so well that you don't need to be afraid to overcook the duck while you are searing. Mine was fabulous!!
    Indeed, sous-vide duck breast seared on carbon steel is obscenely good.

The circulator arrived over Christmas, and it's definitely proven to be worthwhile over the past six weeks or so. I went for the Anova one, and though the wifi option does seem to have an element of gimmickry, I can also foresee it being useful in some situations so I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a go. The unit seems well-made and well-thought-out; I'm happy with it so far.

A few things to note so far: you can lose a lot of water overnight from evaporation, but it's a non-issue with a fitted lid, plastic wrap, or — better yet — ping pong balls. Combined with an insulated tub (a small beer cooler is perfect), it makes for a very energy-efficient cooking method, and frees up space on the rangetop.

Also, simple and inexpensive Ikea seamless-sided plastic bags double-clipped at the top and bottom work perfectly and keep out water reliably. However, as I found out the hard way, their zip-top-closure ones don't; those ones inevitably fail at the seam. :|

Master
    Looks like Vactec have a new model. The VSP018 which looks like an Anova style but only £69 (ex VAT) https://www.ecatering.co.uk/buy/vact...ok-eat_781.htm. There is also a pack with a Vactec sealer for £99 (ex VAT). The previous square style is no longer at Ecatering.

Craftsman

Holy smoke! I'm surprised you lived to tell the tale. I would've thought that the packaging is suited for much colder temperatures that sous vide, e.g. the fridge. I don't have anything to back this assumption up, but I'm really curious as to how you know that would be a safe thing to do? Does it say so on the packaging?

I can image sous vide duck must be tasty :-)

Cheers
    Mabuse

Master
    There was a question a while back about how long the units take to get to temp, I checked my unit today it's a 1500w vac-tec unit and went from tap water @ 9.8c to 51.4c in 18mins.

Also when searing the steaks today I also used my bacon press to weight the steaks after cooking in the bath, gave a nicer crust.

Master
    As a veggie this is all academic to me but are you not concerned about migration in to the food of all the nasties in the plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    As a veggie this is all academic to me but are you not concerned about migration in to the food of all the nasties in the plastic?
    In a word: No.

Polyethylene is biologically inert, and the relatively low temperatures used in sous-vide aren't enough to affect it in any case.

But it's not only animal proteins that benefit from the technique. Mrs. B is a vegetarian, and it's also been a great addition to the kitchen because of the control over textures and ability to infuse flavours that it provides. For me, the results with carrots done in butter or olive oil are enough alone to justify its presence.

Master
    Quick heads up on a vacuum sealer. Latest Costco flyer for 20/02 - 12/03 arrived today. The Foodsaver FSFSSLV3840-060 is on offer for £89.98 inc VAT which looking at current web prices seems a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Just this week in Trust Me I'm a Doctor they examined this. There may be an issue to the foetus but for everyone else, none. The plastics industry is highly regulated regarding toxins and food.

An interesting thread, for sure.

I might try a "basic" experiment using either my oven, or slow-cooker - but could never justify buying a specialist piece of equipment.

I might be tempted to get a smoker, though

A

Craftsman
    Thread revival! One year on, is anyone that bought a sous vide “machine” still using it? I’m getting tempted by one but have a feeling it could end up like a lot of my other kitchen gadgets. Aldi have one on offer this week for £50 but I’m also tempted by the Anova mentioned in this thread.

Yes, I had one for many years and still use it a lot.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Same here ^
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Likewise. A good tool to have, and one which has a unique function as well as freeing up space on the range while being almost automated and stress-free since it's so tolerant of extended cooking times.

Master
    We still use ours a few time a month, tempted to get a pan based one to give more options and run 2 temperatures at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine gets used about once a month, for salmon fillets mainly.

I have had mine for a year now. I use it about once a fortnight for consistently great steak.

Master
    Still use mine once a fortnight or so, it does seem to get less use in the summer but that’s because outside cooking is easier.

I bought the Anova last year. After the initial enthusiasm wore off I've used it about once a month. I'm happy with the purchase. It's a great tool to have in the kitchen, even if I don't use it really often.

Bought the Sous Vide wand from Aldi, a stock-pot, vac bags and some thermal balls for heat retention.

Tried it on burgers first, done at around 54cdeg for 2-1/2hrs before throwing them on a skillet at 240Cdeg surface temp, for 1m each side.

I'm a convert!

I can see me continuing to use it as although it has to be taken out the cupboard - it is fire and forget, in use.

Steak and a nice half-bottle of claret at the weekend - beckons.

(will now go back and glean more info from this thread)

Al