closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide anyone?

Hybrid View

Master

Sous Vide anyone?

I bought a Sous Vide machine the other day, and have only cooked a couple of steaks in it so far and cracking they were.

Does anyone else have one and have any recipes they'd like to share?

Which unit did you buy? I'm half tempted to buy one but not sure I'd use it much. What's the difference between this method of cooking and using the good old frying method in terms of taste?

Cheers,

Al

I've seriously been considering getting a sous vide machine recently and would be interested to know which model you went for. Only reason I'm holding off is prices can either be suspiciously cheap or easily going over £200 which I find a bit rich for something I'll use only occasionally. Also did you get a vacuum sealer as well? For recipes try Great british chefs and serious eats websites, these are my go to sites for cooking these days.

I am a passionate sous vide cook. I have found that semi-professional sous vide equipment is a rip-off, the moment it get's marketed as kitchen equipment there is a x00% markup. I have bought used lab waterbaths via eBay - they are build for eternity, very precise and are available for very small money.
    Example: https://www.memmert.com/products/wat...erbath/WNE-10/
    EBay is your friend, with a bit of patience you get very good equipment for little money.

I have a Caso VC10 vacuum sealer, not the cheapest but it works fantastic.

I suggest you do some reading about the theoretical background, like this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Top

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am a passionate sous vide cook. I have found that semi-professional sous vide equipment is a rip-off, the moment it get's marketed as kitchen equipment there is a x00% markup. I have bought used lab waterbaths via eBay - they are build for eternity, very precise and are available for very small money.
    Example: https://www.memmert.com/products/wat...erbath/WNE-10/
    EBay is your friend, with a bit of patience you get very good equipment for little money.

I have a Caso VC10 vacuum sealer, not the cheapest but it works fantastic.

I suggest you do some reading about the theoretical background, like this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Top
    Thanks matey :)

Good shout @Raffe

Another serious eats fan here. Great site for any cooking really and I like their myth buster approach to cooking techniques, you know that anything they recommend is going to be time efficient and good tasting.

I do like my sous vide and have an Anova machine, which isn't too expensive. As a single person its great to portion off meat from the butcher, even things like sausages can go in bags and into the freezer ready to be cooked sous vide, no need to defrost either. Add in a plumbers blow torch and everything just tastes better.

Totally baffled when i looked at this thread have just checked out the links , its fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I bought a Sous Vide machine the other day, and have only cooked a couple of steaks in it so far and cracking they were.

Does anyone else have one and have any recipes they'd like to share?
    How would describe the steaks compared with regularly cooked ones? We normally grill them rather than fry.

Presumably you lose the charring effect?

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    How would describe the steaks compared with regularly cooked ones? We normally grill them rather than fry.

Presumably you lose the charring effect?
    "Sous vide" is usually at least two cooking processes - the underwater bit, and some kind of real heat to get colour / char. It's possible to have all the steaks cooked sous vide (i.e. at 57 degrees or your chosen temp) and then literally just finish them on the grill. Searing before sous vide may have more benefits - as it probably kills any microbes on the surface of the meat, but it then needs a really quick searing *afterwards* as well...
    Last edited by Broussard; 14th October 2016 at 10:39.

Master
    Keeping in mind I've only cooked two Steaks so far, I think the biggest benefits are no over cooking, you set the temp and thats what comes out, this also means that its cooked to that level of "done" ness all the way through, no over cooking thiner bits of only having the middle pink.
    Also I believe this method also retains more moisture in the Steaks which makes them juicier.

As others have said you do need to sear them after cooking in the water bath to get a caramelized outside.

Mrs Capt was away this week so no need for green stuff.....

Cooked from frozen for 3 hours at 55 c then seared in the pan for 20 secs per side.

The biggest issue is that you can't cook to different levels in the same water bath, so no blue for you and well done for your guest using sous vide.

Heres the unit I brought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...P3M2DY19J1W17X

The biggest issue is that you can't cook to different levels in the same water bath, so no blue for you and well done for your guest using sous vide.
    [/URL]
    True. But if your guest wants well done, then there's no need to sous vide at all. Just microwave it...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    True. But if your guest wants well done, then there's no need to sous vide at all. Just microwave it...
    I really hate this food snobbery. Raw - blue - meat is slimy and deeply unpleasant. If you like that you're weird. As I noted elsewhere I cooked a duck breast (pan then oven) so it was just blushing in the middle. Slimy and unpleasant. Now, you're not going to believe me so stop trying to tell me that you're way is 'right'.
    I'm every much of the old school when roasting a chicken: 20mins/lb then 20mins. Falls off the bone and is lovely.

Keeping in mind I've only cooked two Steaks so far, I think the biggest benefits are no over cooking, you set the temp and thats what comes out, this also means that its cooked to that level of "done" ness all the way through, no over cooking thiner bits of only having the middle pink.
    Also I believe this method also retains more moisture in the Steaks which makes them juicier.

As others have said you do need to sear them after cooking in the water bath to get a caramelized outside.

Mrs Capt was away this week so no need for green stuff.....

Cooked from frozen for 3 hours at 55 c then seared in the pan for 20 secs per side.

Heres the unit I brought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...P3M2DY19J1W17X
    This isn't really the correct use of sous vide as steaks should be cooked at 57 degrees and you should then be adjusting the time instead. Try a different cut next time like a bevette full of flavour (57 degrees for 5 hours)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    This isn't really the correct use of sous vide as steaks should be cooked at 57 degrees and you should then be adjusting the time instead. Try a different cut next time like a bevette full of flavour (57 degrees for 5 hours)

Forgive me perhaps I'm missing something being new to this but I understood that the temperature of the water bath directly relates to the done ness of the steaks, so five hours at 57 is still going to cook to the same done ness as thee hours at the same temp. The length of time is a factor in breaking down fatty and connective tissue.

@ 57 c its closer to medium than to rare no?

So say fillet that you would want rare with its low fat / connective tissue content I would expect to cook for a couple of hours closer to 54 c, and rib eye with a much higher fat / connective tissue content I would cook for 3-4 hours at a higher temp perhaps 55-56c.

This is the very unit I was looking at two days ago. Seems to have the advantage over a normal water bath in that it circulates the water making it more efficient in heating the water and maintaining the desired temperature. Plus its a lot smaller which is a plus in my over filled cupboards.

Ziploc does work to try sous vide out, but I tend to throw them away after using them since they get oily and dirty, though others may not. At which point getting a roll of sous vide plastic cutting it yourself and vacuum sealing it works out better. Plus some of them are rather frail and once I ended up with a puncture resulting in boiled meat instead of sous vide.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    "Sous vide" is usually at least two cooking processes - the underwater bit, and some kind of real heat to get colour / char. It's possible to have all the steaks cooked sous vide (i.e. at 57 degrees or your chosen temp) and then literally just finish them on the grill. Searing before sous vide may have more benefits - as it probably kills any microbes on the surface of the meat, but it then needs a really quick searing *afterwards* as well...
    Thanks. I would definitely miss the charing (/Maillard effect) so that makes perfect sense.

About a year ago, my local supermarket introduced steaks that are vacuum packed and sealed. I like them because they keep very well. I've just about perfected my technique with a hot sear on the grill and then resting the meat while I grill some asparagus.

The question is, could I sous vide cook the whole pack before opening it up and searing the outside (just after I've cooked the asparagus)?

Edit: Here's a picture of the packaging:

Last edited by PickleB; 14th October 2016 at 16:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    About a year ago, my local supermarket introduced steaks that are vacuum packed and sealed. I like them because they keep very well. I've just about perfected my technique with a hot sear on the grill and then resting the meat while I grill some asparagus.

The question is, could I sous vide cook the whole pack before opening it up and searing the outside (just after I've cooked the asparagus)?

Edit: Here's a picture of the packaging:

I'm fairly sure that the glue will just melt away, and last thing you'd want is it contaminating the food. Most of these types of packs can't even be defrosted under a cold tap without the seal losing its integrity.

I personally say just stick with the sear given you've near perfected it. There is a reason most good restaurants still do it the old fashioned way, it works. (Just my opinion of course :) Everyone is entitled to cook how they please, no different to some liking rare some liking cremated, so not trying to start a debate over which is better)

Have been using it professionally for over 10 years. With red meat I would sear the meat, chill it, sous vide it 57 degrees then re sear it. My favourite thing to cook in the waterbath is pork belly 18 hours at 85 degrees. Have used a sousvide supreme before and for home use it was fine. Wouldn't recommend a lab bath as the capacity is mostly very small and defiantly not a used one for obvious reasons. Happy to help with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Have been using it professionally for over 10 years. With red meat I would sear the meat, chill it, sous vide it 57 degrees then re sear it. My favourite thing to cook in the waterbath is pork belly 18 hours at 85 degrees. Have used a sousvide supreme before and for home use it was fine. Wouldn't recommend a lab bath as the capacity is mostly very small and defiantly not a used one for obvious reasons. Happy to help with any questions.

I have a 13 litre lab watherbath, suppose that is large enough for most home users (20 litre or bigger are available). I do not understand your comment about used ones, I think they use the same water in labs as I use at home? Mine is made out of stainless steel, has an eletronic thermostate and cost me under £100 via eBay.

It's too complicated for him, maybe if there were more pictures?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    so you cook in a bag for 4 hours at 57 degrees C to cook a steak? that you sear first?

so you get back from work at 6pm say and stick on the dinner, ready to eat at 10pm?

as opposed to sticking it in the pan or grill and cooking it in minutes?

sounds fab, count me in, where do I sign up to this wonder of modern tech?

absolute nonsense if you ask me, with no tangible benefits.

TLDR - boil in the bag steak that takes 4 hours to cook but still needs a pan to sear #modernhipstertech

Nobody asked you, dude.

But I suppose it makes sense that someone who believes in moon-landing conspiracy theories would also post confident ignorance about other things he knows nothing about and can't be bothered to check. :)

I don't think that would work. If he cannot understand:

"George & Dragon: Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please..."

...and must persist in trying to provoke an argument before resorting to uncouth suggestions or unnecessary graphics then, IMO, it's best ignore him.

Banned
    Blog Entries

"George & Dragon: Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please..."

...and must persist in trying to provoke an argument before resorting to uncouth suggestions or unnecessary graphics then, IMO, it's best ignore him.
    that is not my intention at all, I gave an honest opinion of what I believe this to be, I have read a few bits on it now over at Google HQ and still think its pants,

I am hoping that someone will explain to me what the true benifits of this are? which so far no one has done, or been able to do, only suggest that I am stirring the pot of have a failure to understand this wonder of science.

so far I only see, a fad, overly long cooking times, no nutritional benefit, non efficient cooking (pan to sear, then device to cook) and sealed bags (another inefficient method)

ohh and massive energy consumption over conventional methods.

if this was such the rage, why are the supermarkets not selling us our steaks in sealed bags ready for cooking?

please feel free to explain the above points, even briefly, and then I will google the rest.

Last edited by soundood; 14th October 2016 at 23:54. Reason: to edit a gif into the reply, as so to make Pickle look like he can predict anything

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    that is not my intention at all, I gave an honest opinion of what I believe this to be, I have read a few bits on it now over at Google HQ and still think its pants,

I am hoping that someone will explain to me what the true benifits of this are? which so far no one has done, or been able to do, only suggest that I am stirring the pot of have a failure to understand this wonder of science.

so far I only see, a fad, overly long cooking times, no nutritional benefit, non efficient cooking (pan to sear, then device to cook) and sealed bags (another inefficient method)

if this was such the rage, why are the supermarkets not selling us our steaks in sealed bags ready for cooking?

please feel free to explain the above points, even briefly, and then I will google the rest.

Its just another method of cooking. That's it. It provides a way of precisely cooking food so that it is never over cooked. 1 hour for a perfectly cooked (every time) 1 inch thick cut of steak is fine but yes you can go up to 4 hours and more if you want. You generally sear the meat / fish afterwards to provide the crust. If you get in from work at 6pm them a sous vide steak probably isn't for you, though you can sous vide a salmon fillet in 30 - 45 minutes so that may be better for you. It ain't rocket science and a little bit of googling would've answered your questions. If you don't like, walk away. Sous vide veg though I think is a bit OTT. As for the supermarkets, call your local tesco / asda / sainsbury's and ask them why they don't stock it but I'd guess its due to not every household having a water bath or thermal immersion circulator and so the demand isn't there at a large enough domestic level.

Ah, thanks. Mine is a much cheaper sealer that unfortunately doesn't have any wet mode. Looking at the site the model up even has a auto liquid detection system, not sure how that works but it sounds good, and on Amazon it's only £4 more than the model you linked. Though I really should not buy more kitchen gadgets.

And if proof is needed, see his most recent post above. One that he felt the need to edit so as to add a gif...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And if proof is needed, see his most recent post above. One that he felt the need to edit so as to add a gif...
    still no explanation of what this is or any of its benefits, all I see so far is deflection.

I will ask again, and as you seem very vocal PickleB, why dont you take 2 mins to explain?

I am waiting for your inteligent reply about this wonder tech you speak of, meanwhile heres a gif of some russians dancing.

or maybe we will go down the route of,

'I have no information on this other than a fad/craze, but by belittling your inteligence on the matter I will prove you fail to understand the concept'

EDIT again: just found this chestnut on Amazon questions,

Question: Would it be quite difficult to make a meal of meat plus vegetables.?

Answer: We use 2 as they need to be set to 2 different heat levels, you would set the meat lower that the veg. They are really good though and well worth the money.

so let me understand this correctly as my low inteligence might get in the way, to cook some meat and some veg 'properly' I would need two of these water heaters @ £152.98 each, so correct my math if I am wrong here (low inteligence again) I make that £305.96 to cook some meat and veg for 4 hours?

this thing uses electricity and is basically a thermally controlled kettle element heating water for 3-4 hours? at a guess this uses 1.5 KWh @ an average electricity price of 91p/KWh per hour, making the total cost of power consumption over the cooking period of £5.46

and of course we have two on the go, as we need to slow cook the veg too, so thats another estimated £5.46

total cost of cooking the meal I work out to be £10.92,

yeah sign me up to this marvel of cooking, I really need to spend around a tenner cooking a steak and some veg.
    Last edited by soundood; 15th October 2016 at 00:16. Reason: edited to give pickle a further few days to come up with some sort of tangible answer to my questions.

It's happened again! How long will it take for him to realise that I'm talking about him and not to him?

And he thinks I'm "very vocal" ...

To get back onto the topic, I've just found these pages:

Then there is this, from Marcus Wareing:

What are your most and least used pieces of kitchen kit?

I think I would say my sous vide machine. I have had one for about four years now and use it a lot in the kitchens at the Berkeley. It's a very good way of cooking: it's slow and you can keep the temperature under control precisely. I use it for meat and fish, the whole lot. But it works best with fish, it prevents it overcooking and drying out. Poach a fish and it tightens in the boiling water, you see; this way, it doesn't. Least used piece of kitchen equipment lives at home. We never use the kettle.

Edit: I've just seen MarkO's post and one of my links goes to a page headed with a picture of vacuum packed carrots. But I have yet to find any temperature /time recommendations for cooking vegetables sous vide or any reason as to why it might be a good idea. So I too will be interested in any helpful replies to MarkO.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th October 2016 at 02:19.

Rather like an aquarium heater.

Craftsman
    Some of the best meat I have ever had was sous vide. Only cupboard space has been keeping me from seriously considering one. Now that is no issue any longer with the immersion heaters.

What is the consensus on the vacuum bag part? Will ziplocks do?

Cheers
    Mabuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
    Will ziplocks do?
    No.

No.
    Ziploc bags worked fine for my ghetto sous-vide trials...

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

What is the consensus on the vacuum bag part? Will ziplocks do?

Cheers
    Mabuse
    Ziplock bags are fine when using the water displacement method. This is the method I'll be using. Plenty about it on the net.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

My only experience was at a restaurant where we had Chefs table and ordered a tasting menu based on fish and veggies.
    The Sous Vide fish was just melt in the mouth amazing.

At home I cook mostly vegan and vegetarian but would be interested to hear any vegetarian experience with this form of cooking as I am happy to spend 4hrs + in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party using conventional methods.

Also the geek in me loves to experiment.

I think if you tried with putting the container in the drawer full of water then put a thermometer in the water you could see how the water got up to temp - what temp it reached and how stable that was.
    Can you set a temperature for the drawer or is it just a one temp

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Sous vide seems all well and good but I have to say,in my opinion,it's a bit of a faff. If I want a steak then I want it in the near future,not in 3-5 hours time. Each to their own.

Too risky for me.

Sounds good, keep experimenting....

I had some wonderful sous-vide ribeye last night :-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I had some wonderful sous-vide ribeye last night :-)

Eddie
    What are you using to brown your steak? So far I mostly use a blowtorch, while I flip the steak in an iron pan with hot butter.

I am currently looking at a beefer or similar sizzler grill, but haven't decided yet.

Master
    Eddie, I'm more interested in your chilli recipe, if you care to share?

You've mentioned it a few times now, and my current chilli is crap, so could do with a new approach...

I use this chilli recipe and tweak it a bit. I always use pork & beef mince half and half and be careful with 2 tablespoons of chilli powder, not all powders are
    equal.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-...ver-had-178865

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

What are you using to brown your steak? So far I mostly use a blowtorch, while I flip the steak in an iron pan with hot butter.

I am currently looking at a beefer or similar sizzler grill, but haven't decided yet.
    I brown it in a hot cast-iron pan, sometimes with butter and sometimes not.

Eddie

If its a nice thick piece with lots of fat on the side (e.g. sirloin) then I use a carbon steel pan (like cast iron but smooth) bringing it up till smoking point, searing the fatty side to rend and crispen it then just a minute or so on each side cooking in its own fat.

Otherwise with a thin and lean piece of meat like a flatiron or hanger steak then it gets browned with a blow torch to avoid any overcooking, I might brown some butter to give it that nice nutty taste and some added fat.

Had a sublime rose veal steak the other night, plenty of marbling throughout and very tender, definitely glad I got a sous vide machine as it was cooked to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post
    If its a nice thick piece with lots of fat on the side (e.g. sirloin) then I use a carbon steel pan (like cast iron but smooth) bringing it up till smoking point, searing the fatty side to rend and crispen it then just a minute or so on each side cooking in its own fat.

Otherwise with a thin and lean piece of meat like a flatiron or hanger steak then it gets browned with a blow torch to avoid any overcooking, I might brown some butter to give it that nice nutty taste and some added fat.

Had a sublime rose veal steak the other night, plenty of marbling throughout and very tender, definitely glad I got a sous vide machine as it was cooked to perfection.
    For searing meat - I use a cast iron or a steel/ceramic skillet on a tabletop induction hob.

The surface temp of the skillet reaches >230Cdeg in rapid time. (So fast, that I cracked an oval cast skillet on first attempt!)

To save the kitchen/house filling up with smoke/cooking products - I put the hob outside on the table, under the gazebo and finish off the food there.

For all the time it takes - getting a little bit cold, is a price worth paying.

Tefal table-top skillet is around £47 from most outlets, and seems good quality. (compared to a gas ring- it isn't affected by the breeze outside either)