closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just discovered... (Yacht-Master content)

Blog Entries

I just discovered... (Yacht-Master content)

I just discovered/noticed that the classic 'silver' platinum dial Yacht-Master (with red second hand and dial writing) has been replaced by a rhodium dial model (with blue second hand and dial writing), both model 116622. In addition to the iridescent blue dial model with red second hand and dial writing (116622 as well!).

How disappointing. Although the new rhodium dial model looks good, I think I preferred the 'silver' platinum dial version. I'm sorry to see it go.

Pics, because everyone likes pics...

Master
    I prefer the new rhodium dial, but the blue writing and hands kill it for me: red would have looked fantastic.

Craftsman
    I tried on the rhodium dial model in my AD the day is went on display and thought it was extremely nice. I personally have never liked the silver dial - it's not easy to read and the new colour is somehow more subtle and appropriate for the price/status of the watch. While I love the blue accents I'm not sure if the use of the colour will date quickly as fashion moves on but overall it's never a watch I would have considered and it's one I really appreciate now.

Craftsman
    I tried on the blue dial yesterday and that was stunning compared to the Rhodium and Rose Gold - I was lucky they had all 3 in stock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have tried the new dial one on and I do like the blue second hand and script, although I think the red stands out better, but personally I prefer the blue dial.

I prefer the new Rhodium dial over the plat and blue however I still find the whole look a little to monochrome!

Thinking maybe the black ceramic insert off the 116655 would of suited it better.

Craftsman
    Think I would prefer the red writing on the rhodium dial but the bluewriting is ok.

That blue dial just pops though, that is my favourite :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I prefer the new rhodium dial, but the blue writing and hands kill it for me: red would have looked fantastic.
    I prefer the rhodium dial to the platinum, but that insipid shade of blue is just WRONG!!

My biggest ever loss was buying one from an AD and letting it go 6 months later.
    Financial suicide!

It was the blue version in case you were interested

Journeyman
    I love the blue and been considering trading my 116710ln for it. (Plus cash obviously)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I've always liked the original silver one, but I've yet to see a new one in an AD.

Aesthetically, I agree that the original silver dial is preferable, but in terms of ease of reading (at my age anyway) the new model is more practical. As to red or blue highlights, both look good.

The sparkling Platinum dial is the best looking IMHO and if you add a red datewheel it will icing the cake.

I bought the Blue dial YM not long after it was released but went off it quickly, traded it on here after just a few months. I had a look at the Rhodium dial last week and thought it was beautiful, they also had the Everose version on the rubber strap which was incredible - I'm intending to purchase one at some point.
    I currently have the discontinued platinum dial model and really like it, I considered selling it only because I've just bought an Omega Grey Side of The Moon which has essentially the same dial..... but soon changed my mind.
    The response to them being discontinued has been very muted compared to when other Rolex Sports models have reached the end of the line which isn't surprising bearing in mind it was never very popular.

Catch it in the right light and the dial comes to life and sparkles like a sea of diamonds. (Picture from the web)
    Last edited by shalako; 9th October 2016 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

Wow, more stunning photos from Jocke. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Catch it in the right light and the dial comes to like to sparkle like a sea of diamonds.

Stunningly good job there Steve. No wonder you chose to keep it.

Craftsman
    I'd like to see the rhodium dial with the red writing/second hand. And great photos again Jocke!

Master
    Seems the 16623 is gone from rolex.com too now.... that was the last of the 5 digit references... too bad, loved the dial options on that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do like the blue dial YM.
    I REALLY do not like this new "accent" colour thing that Rolex have picked up. The washy blue text on the rhodium YM dial kill it for me. Same goes for the red accents on the grape dial OP.
    The only one that works IMO is the red on blue.

That blue dial with the red details looks a great combination.

I'm not so sure of the chocolate dial, although I'd like to see it first-hand before deciding. R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think endo has one. He posted it in last week or week befores Friday thread. The dial looked almost plum. It was bloody lovely.

Craftsman
    I really like the model with the blue second hand

Thats an amazing dial!

I bought the Blue dial YM not long after it was released but went off it quickly, traded it on here after just a few months. I had a look at the Rhodium dial last week and thought it was beautiful, they also had the Everose version on the rubber strap which was incredible - I'm intending to purchase one at some point.
    I currently have the discontinued platinum dial model and really like it, I considered selling it only because I've just bought an Omega Grey Side of The Moon which has essentially the same dial..... but soon changed my mind.
    The response to them being discontinued has been very muted compared to when other Rolex Sports models have reached the end of the line which isn't surprising bearing in mind it was never very popular.

Catch it in the right light and the dial comes to life and sparkles like a sea of diamonds. (Picture from the web)

Master
    Really liking the YM and as previously said the rose gold version is stunning.
    I tried one on recently and was very impressed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I personally have never liked the silver dial - it's not easy to read
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Aesthetically, I agree that the original silver dial is preferable, but in terms of ease of reading (at my age anyway) the new model is more practical.
    Interesting about the 'silver' dial being difficult to read. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to find one somewhere and see how my eyes cope.

I could never understand why they weren't more popular. I thought they looked stunning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    The sparkling Platinum dial is the best looking IMHO and if you add a red datewheel it will icing the cake.

The red date wheel is stunning. It's a shame Rolex didn't ship it that way.

Master
    What he said

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like these. Red and blue!

Its the PCL I can't get on with.

Wow fantastic pictures really bring the watch to life.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoyne1 View Post
    I really like the model with the blue second hand
    Me too. Looks amazing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A few wrist shots at the dealer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    A few wrist shots at the dealer
    Thanks for the pics! Looks good, although whether or not preferable to the 'silver' dial I'm still not sure.

How readable is it? Following the comments on readability of the 'silver' dial, the contrast between the hands and the rhodium dial doesn't look brilliant there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the dark dial was very readable second to the blue. I think the new colours particularly the blue make the watch "pop" more, although the original is much more stealthy and understated

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Thanks.

I guess these really need to be seen in person to see how readable they are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ^^^ Thanks.

I guess these really need to be seen in person to see how readable they are.
    Probably stating the obvious, but as an owner I find the blue dial is very readable!

Master
    I've not seen the blue version in person but i really like the look of it in those pics.

Craftsman
    Had the chance of an original Yachtmaster in Dubai a few years ago ,haggled them down to £3750 equivalent then hesitated and walked away on the basis it was still more than I paid for my Daytona.

Kicked myself recently and I'm about to pull the trigger on the new Rhodium dial version.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Wow, more stunning photos from Jocke. Brilliant.
    I love it! Great pictures!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those pictures have me wondering if I can afford to buy a platinum dial and get the date wheel changed....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Probably stating the obvious, but as an owner I find the blue dial is very readable!
    Yes, good point. Without stating it explicitly, I was excluding the blue dial from my thoughts. Although I like blue dial watches (especially iridescent ones), the blue dial YM somehow doesn't appeal to me so much and the gold/two tone versions also don't appeal to me. So that leaves the old platinum dial or the rhodium dial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, good point. Without stating it explicitly, I was excluding the blue dial from my thoughts. Although I like blue dial watches (especially iridescent ones), the blue dial YM somehow doesn't appeal to me so much and the gold/two tone versions also don't appeal to me. So that leaves the old platinum dial or the rhodium dial.
    In the flesh the blue dial looks really amazing and makes the platinum bezel stand out. The older platinum dial version is fantastic value for money pre owned, it's a classy stealth look different from the normal professional models

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting article on the yachtmaster from Jakes blog

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2009/10...story.html?m=1

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Stunningly good job there Steve. No wonder you chose to keep it.
    + 1 Stunning pic!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That blue dial with the red details looks a great combination.

I'm not so sure of the chocolate dial, although I'd like to see it first-hand before deciding. R
    I've still not seen this version in person yet, could be the perfect bi-colour....

Master
    I've still not seen this version in person yet, could be the perfect bi-colour....

Say this in the flesh yesterday and it is drop dead gorgeous, well i liked it anyway. My 21yr old also thought it was cool if thats a good reference!!

I just can't get past that bezel...

Simon

Craftsman
    Just picked up a Rhodium dial Yachtmaster yesterday , saw the smaller version model in the window last weekend , went in and had a look and asked them to get a full size one in for me.

Rang up on Saturday saying it was in stock , collected it yesterday .

I'll post some pictures when I get a minute or two spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Just picked up a Rhodium dial Yachtmaster yesterday , saw the smaller version model in the window last weekend , went in and had a look and asked them to get a full size one in for me.

Congratulations, I think your one of the first on this forum to try one, look forward to seeing some pictures and hearing your initial thoughts on this new version.....

This is one of the nicest pictures I've found on the web so far....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

Cool, thanks in advance.

Rolexes are so omnipresent that what at first seems unusual gets normalised sooner or later. I wonder how long before those sky blue touches stop seeming to jump out?