closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first new 40th anniversary Nautilus is revealed ...

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I like the baguettes. The dial engraving however looks like it should be a film title, like "Terminator 2 Judgement Day".
    +1 from me.

Also check the guy's white gloves!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    People are calling it the "graveyard" dial now and i find that fitting lol
    I prefer "Tombstone" yes you read it here first folks.

Going to enquire tomorrow at Patek.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just a shame I wasn't born in 1976 :(

They would make a nice birthday present
    Might be wise to get one next year and not tempt fate ;).

I've been asked by my AD if I would like my name put forward for one!!
    So all I need now the the cash anymore got £70k well actually £82k as I prefer the platinum

I guess the money is in the calibre, because there is nothing interesting in the case design!

Sorry - that is a "pig in knickers"

Al

Underwhelming, exceedingly so. The date code across the dial of both is very unbecoming. A real shame. Still, I have seen worse elsewhere...could have had a cartoon dog lying face down across the dial, for example.

Master
    I'm a big fan of the nautilus range but SERIOUSLY?!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the nautilus range but SERIOUSLY?!?
    On the other hand, I didn't think they could make the Nautilus look any worse - and they did! Wow!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    On the other hand, I didn't think they could make the Nautilus look any worse - and they did! Wow!
    Heretic! The 5711 is a thing of beauty ;-)

11erv! Get the collection out!

Master

I'm sorry, but that is not a pretty thing! 90% wouldn't give it a glance if it didn't say Patek on the face.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is not a pretty thing! 90% wouldn't give it a glance if it didn't say Patek on the face.
    Taste is subjective. Most owners are happy with it; you don't see many changing hands...

Taste is subjective. Most owners are happy with it; you don't see many changing hands...
    "Pig in knickers"..................... trust me.

Al

Craftsman
    That dial is awful, tacky and not going to age at all well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Voila

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Voila

Spectacular!!! Bravo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'll just stick to my old one;

Ok, with apologies to all Nautilus owners here but my thoughts on this. If it didn't have Patek Philippe on the dial it would be written off as looking like it belonged in the 70s and this model at 49.25mm is huge. I know the movement will be a work of art but a watch has to be aesthetically pleasing and almost all Patek's aren't to me. If I was to buy something at this size it would be a Railmaster XXL. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know some will love it and - and so they should; it's what makes the (First) World go around!

I honestly think the only thing wrong is the dial engraving, and the prices :(

At least they didn't paint the years on the dial.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I honestly think the only thing wrong is the dial engraving, and the prices :(

At least they didn't paint the years on the dial.
    Agree about the engraving. But it is SOOOO WRONG!

It might look a lot less obvious in real size - I've been wearing my DSSD today and didn't notice "Ring Lock System" once ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Ok, with apologies to all Nautilus owners here but my thoughts on this. If it didn't have Patek Philippe on the dial it would be written off as looking like it belonged in the 70s
    I rather think you are missing the point. The design does belong to the 1970's...the fundamentals of the classic design have not changed since 1976. I believe that it has carried the words Patek and Philippe on the dial during this time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Ok, with apologies to all Nautilus owners here but my thoughts on this. If it didn't have Patek Philippe on the dial it would be written off as looking like it belonged in the 70s
    No apologies necessary, the design is from the 70's and this is one of the reasons I like it and own one.
    All my watches are from the 60's 70's or designed in that era, Ive seen nothing to beat them (design wise) to date.

Master
    It might look a lot less obvious in real size - I've been wearing my DSSD today and didn't notice "Ring Lock System" once ;)
    Suspect this will be the case in real life. However, I personally don't like the "idea" of the engraving, and at this sort of money you don't want any doubts or reservations!

Master
    Blog Entries

Crass

CrASS!

M

Can't afford either, but the big one is too big and diamond hour markers don't appeal.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Ltd Editions only?

What's most disappointing to me is that the only new watches are limited editions.

I was hoping PP might take the opportunity to unveil a new model to add to the Nautilus line, rather than just the Omega-esque "007" model and a bloated statement piece.

Disappointing.

^
    I'm neither disappointed nor surprised by this caricature of an anniversary edition. Thierry Stern's Patek Philippe is consistently proving to a very weak imitation of the historic company. :|

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    What's most disappointing to me is that the only new watches are limited editions.

I was hoping PP might take the opportunity to unveil a new model to add to the Nautilus line, rather than just the Omega-esque "007" model and a bloated statement piece.

Disappointing.
    I was hoping for a black or very dark graduated grey dial - but we have what we have, and I coudl afford to add another 5711 at the minute anyway - maybe for the 50th :)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Suspect this will be the case in real life. However, I personally don't like the "idea" of the engraving, and at this sort of money you don't want any doubts or reservations!
    True, but if it annoyed you too much - you could probably sell on at a profit :)

'You never really own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next tacky generation.'

As someone who struggles to like the 5711, that thing is awful. Then again, I'm not their target market.

D

If money was no object i would jump at that!! Fortunately can only dream

Apparently your dealer is allowed to propose you to Patek with reasons why you should be allowed to be a custodian of this limited addition piece, and I expect to know if you can actually afford it
    It's not what I was expecting, but as an investment it will no doubt increase in value over the years as it is so big for a Patek I expect it will only ever reside in people's safe's and not on people's wrists.

^
    I certainly have some doubts as to whether these mediocrities would increase in value.

Buying a new Patek and stashing it in a safe isn't exactly uncommon, and with their modern-era combination of increased production and prices with decreased quality control and looks, I just don't see this as a savvy buy. Add to that the company's penchant for auction manipulation, and all signs point toward "bubble".

Master
    The whole size thing is a bit overblown. A regular 5711 Nautilus is 44mm lug to lug and fits comfortably within the confines of the skinniest of wrists. This new chrono is 49mm lug to lug and whilst the biggest Nautilus ever made, I'll guarantee it still wears well for many. I don't want one due to the dial engraving but I don't think it is the beheamonth many are envisaging. A Speedy Pro is 48mm lug to lug, by comparison.

It's not a like-for-like comparison, though.

That new Nautilus chronograph is over 49 mm across, which makes it much larger than a Speedmaster. It's certainly going to be a very ostentatious watch, and its crudely-designed dial won't help things.

Journeyman
    Colour is nice. Dial looks futuristic-kinda-cool. The inscription is... blergh...

For me, this is a perfect example of how design standards have declined over the years as the entry barriers have essentially disappeared.

Fair enough for a yard sale flyer, but I'd expect better than "rank beginner" from a company with Patek's resources. The chronograph is just a shoddy mockery of the original, and it's a bit of an insult to Genta's legacy.

^
    Hmm.

Try though he might to make it seem otherwise, the watches still come across as being rather lame and tacky.

Patek is a ship without a sail these days. :|

Banned
    I am still in full admiration of this beauty.... :)

I really like them both. The size of the 5711 is mo good for me though as much as I've tried to persuade myself it is. I was hoping there would be a regular production version of the 5976 introduced at Basel next year but I read on another forum that the case is for the 40th anniversary only.

Their design always reminds me of how films in the 70s and 80s imagined how futuristic items might look. That is perhaps why they look so dated to me. But I respect their provenance and those that love them.

Craftsman
    Normally PP doesn't do it for me...but I sort of like this one (obviously I'm in no danger of buying it though)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    Their design always reminds me of how films in the 70s and 80s imagined how futuristic items might look. That is perhaps why they look so dated to me. But I respect their provenance and those that love them.
    And that's one of the reasons I love these designs - they were so of their time and I find their appeal quite enduring. Perhaps they're just hoping all of us 50-somethings who yearn for their youth have the money to buy a PP now.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    And that's one of the reasons I love these designs - they were so of their time and I find their appeal quite enduring. Perhaps they're just hoping all of us 50-somethings who yearn for their youth have the money to buy a PP now.
    Haha. Very probably.

I like them, especially the 5711P.

No surprise that they have all been sold.

I had an email Monday from my AD asking if I had changed my mind and wanted to be put forward for one of these as the list was due to be submitted to PP.
    I had to decline as the new house has clipped my spending.
    I would still love to see one one day but I expect they will only ever reside in people's safes around the world. ☹️️

Here's Hodinkee's 'real world' review and pictures:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...tilus-hands-on