closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First fire tonight

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Had our one on a few times this week. We had it installed last year and one of our best purchases. I have access to logs from a tree surgeon so have about three years worth of free fuel. Just have to collect it, cut, split and stack!!

Nice! Will have to wait till the kids are a bit older before I get one installed. The dog looks happy.

Master
    We have the huge green one in the living room... If you load it and let it burn through two cycles, it will store enough heat to last for a day or two.

I need to get the chimney cleaned before I start using it again this winter.

Master
    Just took a photo of mine as it spat some embers from the wood, made for some great trails effect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Fair old inglenook you have there Lucky ! looks lovely do you have a flue liner in that Chimney ?

Cheers

Wayne
    Yes, when we bought the house there was an open fire. When the builder pulled it out I got in the fireplace and stood up. I had no idea how big these thing are. You could climb up the inside but its got one of those shiny flexible liners now. Dates about 1850, originally a miners cottage.

Here's our fire and inglenook:

Blimey the Cat would be able to hid in there pip , i imagine you have an old house as i see you are in longparish , not far from me in Basingstoke

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Blimey the Cat would be able to hid in there pip , i imagine you have an old house as i see you are in longparish , not far from me in Basingstoke
    Yes, ours is one the old thatched cottages in Longparish. Estimated build date is 1650!

Master
    Lit ours the last couple of nights. Keeps the lounge nice and the stove does the kitchen.
    For those with woodburners these little fans make a really big difference. 3 or 4 degrees at the far end of my parents lounge which is around 20ft long.
    But it needs to go on the woodburner which is a pain if like us you have a pitched roof.
    http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1...FcoaGwodF68Gdg

Gonna get warm shifting this lot.......................

In case anyone is after one I just spotted a 6.5 tonne splitter at Lidl for £149.99.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=37906

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    In case anyone is after one I just spotted a 6.5 tonne splitter at Lidl for £149.99.

Great heads up, but I think I will stick with the wife and an Axe!

We buy ready split kiln dried logs. Expensive way of doing it but had chimney swept today and for the 2nd year in a row the sweep said it was clean as a whistle. Important when your roof is thatched as any build up in the flue is a big fire risk.

And bought !!!!!........excellent heads up ,thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Darn you Mrs Lewie made me light ours tonight
    Liz wanted the heating on the other day (was 21c in the room).Told her to put one of my fleeces on. What is it with women?

Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    And bought !!!!!........excellent heads up ,thanks!
    So it looks like the log splitter will have to be taken out its box , assembled and put to good use !!!

We have a few trees at the side of the house and we've decided to thin them out a little ;

A big sycamore was taken down few weeks ago and I borrowed a splitter to do that ......wood shed half full (other half with this seasons wood) and a pile ready for next year now outside !!!

However , this morning the guys arrived and took down another few ......the result has opened up the light a little

It's left me a few logs to split !!!!!!!

Oh ....and I know you guys also like your LR's .....highlight of the day , the tree surgeon had an awesome 1966 Defender. 'Twas awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    Oh ....and I know you guys also like your LR's .....highlight of the day , the tree surgeon had an awesome 1966 Defender. 'Twas awesome !
    You NEED this book!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norwegian-W.../dp/0857052551

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Thanks for that ....gonna buy two !!
    One for me and one for my uncle (who I borrowed the splitter from ) for a wee Xmas prezzie

Recently got one of these

Works well. £40 or thereabouts on the bay.

Another bargain I got a couple of days ago from Aldi £29.99 delivered. I am a bit of a hoarder, stacks of old timber and branches and trunks etc. I am currently burning old stock fence posts. This saw just rips them up in no time with a lot less effort. I bought some Bosch blades and I am well pleased with it. 3 year warranty as well. Took out a blackthorn trunk and that was as hard as nails.

Its got an Led light on the front and you can buy the blades anywhere. Twist the blade holder and change the blade in seconds.

Nice little stack for the weekend in no time. There is nothing like free heat.................................

Master
    First one for me yesterday with an afternoon/evening of sport, perfect

Dog is happy with ours.

Just keeping an eye on my dinner............................

Just keeping an eye on my dinner............................

Do you think he'll fit in that pot?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    First one for me yesterday with an afternoon/evening of sport, perfect

Does this not need a hearth? Only ask as I want to have the smallest hearth possible on my fireplace.

How safe are log burners for homes with little kids? I have 1 Y/O and 3 Y/O monkeys.

Also, if I have to purchase the logs, is it a much more economical heating source compare to blasting my combi boiler? I tend to keep my home about 20c as I have 2 young ones.

TIA!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    How safe are log burners for homes with little kids? I have 1 Y/O and 3 Y/O monkeys.

Also, if I have to purchase the logs, is it a much more economical heating source compare to blasting my combi boiler? I tend to keep my home about 20c as I have 2 young ones.

TIA!
    If you have to buy the wood then I think there expensive to run. A high efficiency gas fire would be more economical. Then again your central heating should be cheaper to run and your heating the whole house.

Another bargain I got a couple of days ago from Aldi £29.99 delivered. I am a bit of a hoarder, stacks of old timber and branches and trunks etc. I am currently burning old stock fence posts. This saw just rips them up in no time with a lot less effort. I bought some Bosch blades and I am well pleased with it. 3 year warranty as well. Took out a blackthorn trunk and that was as hard as nails.

Its got an Led light on the front and you can buy the blades anywhere. Twist the blade holder and change the blade in seconds.

Nice little stack for the weekend in no time. There is nothing like free heat.................................
    How does it compare to a chainsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Do you think he'll fit in that pot?
    I will give you £50 if you can pick her up in your bare hands......................

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    How does it compare to a chainsaw?
    I have electric and petrol chainsaws, just too much faffing about. Adjusting the blade and oil as well. This just plugs in and goes. Chainsaws great for heavy work.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Does this not need a hearth? Only ask as I want to have the smallest hearth possible on my fireplace.
    Well the building reg's in Ireland state you must have a hearth. Extending at least 15cm either side of the stove/fire place and about 25 to the front. Our reg's are very similar to that in the UK so I doubt there will be much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    We have two kids at home. Eldest is nearly 2yrs old. We have a fire guard that goes around the whole hearth and has a small "roof" on it to stop him putting his hands over and near it. They don't really go near it but we always keep an eye on them.

This a pic of our fireguard (stock photo)

Latest editions to the stove top. On the left an enamel pot for instant hot water, no more boiling kettles. In the centre a stove thermometer from Amazon and on the right, arrived today, one of those stove fans. Well pleased with it. I've had a wood burner for years but its good to have some fun with it.

-1C here early evening, so enjoying the fire roaring away - especially after getting in after walking the pooches

The only upsides of the colder weather: wood burner and skiing!

Master
    the little AGA is now the only source of heat as we're having our boiler replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    -1C here early evening, so enjoying the fire roaring away - especially after getting in after walking the pooches
    -1C good lord. you must be up north............................................. ..

Bugger

Digital moisture meter

Makes a nice change to get something useful for Christmas. Been checking all my log stacks and they are not that dry. Useful little bit of kit.

Hi LW
    I thought anything under 20% moisture content is ideal for Logs ??, funnily enough i got the book Norwegian Wood as a Christmas present a very relaxing read so far

Cheers

Wayne

Yes 20% and under is recommended. Most of mine is reading higher. The picture is of a piece that was by the fireplace for a while. I got the book for Christmas as well. I am sure someone on the forum gave me the idea. Ive been stacking my logs all wrong for years.

Journeyman
    I will give you £50 if you can pick her up in your bare hands......................
    Only if I can use my shotgun first.............

Cats scare me, rather fight with the mother in law!

Yes 20% and under is recommended. Most of mine is reading higher. The picture is of a piece that was by the fireplace for a while. I got the book for Christmas as well. I am sure someone on the forum gave me the idea. Ive been stacking my logs all wrong for years.
    I buy kiln dried hardwood logs that have 16% or less moisture on delivery according to my similar gizmo. We've a thatched roof so have to be very careful about fire risk from residue build up in the flue from poor wood. The previous home owner was somewhat carefree. He used any old wood donated by a local gardener and stored it dumped on the driveway under a tarp. When we had the chimney inspected during the home buying process it was described by the expert as "a lethal death trap thick with tar, one fire away from completely destroying the property". We put a new chimney flue and stove in and have been very careful about our log supplier and storage!

Excellent! armed with my new book and studying the tips on here I am getting there. I had 5 loads of Oak delivered this year reading 37% on the meter. Now all stacked away but in barns. When I get that book finished I will have a think about stacking a different way.

Craftsman
    Love a good fire with a whisky!

I've been busy. First is how I have been stacking my logs. Just piled up in the barn. Too many to shift again. It was three truck loads.

Had a go at a proper stack. This ones about five foot tall.

And today I started this. Set on two standard length fencing rails. Planning on laying another two rails alongside and going up to about six foot. Happy now.

Master
    Nice night for a fire, happy new year!

That book is an inspiration. Took things a step forward today and cut down a Willow with an axe. Its too easy with the chainsaw and it was great fun. The sound (crack) when she was ready to fall and the fact that I planted her makes it rewarding. I chose one of my smallest with a single trunk about 25 foot tall. Now all split and stacked away for 12 months. The stump will soon sprout and the process repeats itself. Nothing like burning your own wood.
    I took a reading on the moisture meter of 38%, just the same as the stuff I had delivered recently, supposedly ready to burn.

I think Lars would be very pleased with your efforts so far LW , i swapped to using kiln Dried logs because of the low Moisture reading, but if you can do it yourself all the better

Cheers

Wayne

Freezing in Cornwall so fired up the burner

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Still to warm in Hampshire ATM