closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub C Purchase or not!

Craftsman

Rolex Sub C Purchase or not!

So I have been ringing around AD for a Sub date. As the price of pre owned are nearly as much or more than new, thought I would give it a try. Mixed results, managed to get on one AD waiting list, another offered to put me on for a 1k deposit. So this is probably a stupid question, but there will obviously be no discount and if I get one, will be paying retail and was also told if the prices go up, then the watch will be at the new price.

Being new to this buying game, are the above assumptions true?

Sorry if the above is dumb, but haven't bought a watch since 2008 and that was off this forum.

Master
    If it's the stainless steel version then just do it. It's never going to be that expensive a mistake (if at all). Supply won't switch on over night (there weren't that many around even before Brexit/currency-fuelled silliness took things to another level). Worst case here is that you'll pay something like 10% more than the current RRP if the price rises, but risk losing only perhaps 10% of that if you don't like it.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 30th September 2016 at 18:52.

In the past I left a significant deposit with an AD on condition that the watch would be paid off in full at the price as it was then, i.e. not at an increased price in the event of any price increase. AD was happy with this.

Master
    I don't think in the current climate that many / any ADs will allow you to "fix" the price on such a model.

You could always ask if the retailer will allow you to reclaim your deposit without proceeding if the price rises by more than x %. Again, they may not agree, but it seems a fair quid pro quo if you are otherwise exposed to the price changing.

H

Craftsman
    The retailer said if I decided not to go ahead once they had a watch, they would refund my deposit, so guess its not that risky.

Generally, unless the have an existing relationship with a Rolex AD then any discount on steel watches is going to be slim if any. The SubC is a great watch, I've had a few, still have the LV, and I'd happily wear one every day.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Do it !

I have just purchased a Sub C and it's my go to watch now - prefer over my others - just wears really well and looks great

Financially it seems a good move too - as said I don't think you loose much (if anything)

Ask the AD manager his time scales too for getting you one. He may be able to give you an indication if pushed

So - as been said - do it 👍

Master
    I rang around 16 AD's couple of weeks ago looking for ND, luckily my friend managed to find one for me.
    They are out there you just need to search.
    Regarding name on a list did you ask how many were on it?
    Some ADs had 10 or 15 waiting for certain SS models!

Master

Thumbs up

Just hate this whole brexit and weak pound. We now have waiting lists for submariners!!!!

Craftsman
    Can't see you losing much so if you can afford it go for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Just hate this whole brexit and weak pound. We now have waiting lists for submariners!!!!
    In 2002 I went to an AD in Bluewater and asked to try on a sub date.

I was met with much merriment, as they explained to me that I could, once I got to the top of their 6 year waiting list....

You have to hand it to Rolex, they really do have this business cracked!

All this scaremongery & scarcity even has me wanting one ... even though they make nothing that hits my sweet spot.

Master
    The sceptic in me makes me really believe that if/when a price rise does happen, s/s rolex will become readily available again. Why wouldn't independent ADs lock away a few of the desirables knowing full well they'll get an extra 10% return?

Craftsman
    I bet omega and breitling wish they could have this business model

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    The sceptic in me makes me really believe that if/when a price rise does happen, s/s rolex will become readily available again. Why wouldn't independent ADs lock away a few of the desirables knowing full well they'll get an extra 10% return?
    The only trouble with that is how long do you hold onto the stock you already paid for waiting for a price increase to happen that is uncertain when and how much.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You have to hand it to Rolex, they really do have this business cracked!

All this scaremongery & scarcity even has me wanting one ... even though they make nothing that hits my sweet spot.
    do they ?

they are not selling any watches in the UK !!! as no one has stock lol

as for a safe bet or no risk, 12 months ago a Sub was in every window and subs go for £1k less than RRP on here ! £4k for a non date and many have come up for sale here, some even sub ;-) £4k
    Even Hulks were in every window, it seems no stock means people want it, it's not even very nice ! people have cashed in though watchfinder have loads of hulks atm !!! 9 of the bloody ugly things !

give it 6 months and subs will be in every window again imo but yes at a newer price may be !

There was a sub C at the Airport when I went though last weekend, still with their 21% discount it was still more than UK RRP !

people seem to have short memories ! or now just seem to want what's NOT in stock which I find odd.
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 1st October 2016 at 10:52.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    In 2002 I went to an AD in Bluewater and asked to try on a sub date.

I was met with much merriment, as they explained to me that I could, once I got to the top of their 6 year waiting list....
    i have a sub C and whilst i love it a 6 year wait would have made me become an IWC customer again i think - daft that used are being sold for more than new!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Because ADs need to make money by churning watches. Sitting on a SubC for 3 months until the price increase to make just 10% more is worse than using the same capital to get delivery of 3 other watches and make money by selling them, one per month for example. Having inventory in the safe is not free, immobilised capital and foregone sales are costly. Unless they can finance the inventory very cheaply of course.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Because ADs need to make money by churning watches. Sitting on a SubC for 3 months until the price increase to make just 10% more is worse than using the same capital to get delivery of 3 other watches and make money by selling them, one per month for example. Having inventory in the safe is not free, immobilised capital and foregone sales are costly. Unless they can finance the inventory very cheaply of course.

Bang on the money my friend! Also hearing 1k needed just to go on waiting list is crazy indeed.

Two weeks ago I rang round about 10 ADs seeking a Hulk. Was quoted a lead time of between 8 weeks to 3 years. I put my name down with 3 ADs and not one of them wanted a deposit.

I told each AD that I didn't want to mess them about and put my name down with multiple dealers. However none were worried as when a watch arrives, they simply phone each person on their list until someone says yes. Several told me if there is a price increase, I pay the price applicable the day I pick up the watch which is what I would expect.

One AD had no list for an LV whilst one had 18 names waiting.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Two weeks ago I rang round about 10 ADs seeking a Hulk. Was quoted a lead time of between 8 weeks to 3 years. I put my name down with 3 ADs and not one of them wanted a deposit.

I told each AD that I didn't want to mess them about and put my name down with multiple dealers. However none were worried as when a watch arrives, they simply phone each person on their list until someone says yes. Several told me if there is a price increase, I pay the price applicable the day I pick up the watch which is what I would expect.

One AD had no list for an LV whilst one had 18 names waiting.
    So, do you expect to get one soon, or did you get the brush off do you think ?

Craftsman
    If you don't mind traveling phone around the AD's that are a little more out of the way ( every few days too )
    I managed to bag a SubC ND from Winsor Bishop by doing that on the day it was delivered !
    A couple of weeks later the AD in Peterborough had a delivery of SS models that wasn't spoken for too.

Been there before - put the deposit down (they are simply looking for commitment).

Watch will arrive (probably before they tell you).

Wear it and enjoy.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Just bought a SubND and a hulk in WoS today in Oxford street whilst on a break from work. No waiting list, never bought anything from them, didn't know anyone there. I guess I'm just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Just bought a SubND and a hulk in WoS today in Oxford street whilst on a break from work. No waiting list, never bought anything from them, didn't know anyone there. I guess I'm just lucky.
    Yes I guess you are.

I waited about 8 weeks for my Sub C no-date here in NZ. I put a deposit down, and was told if I changed my mind once the watch arrived , they would refund the deposit - since they knew it would selll very quickly once on display. I've had it for 6 weeks now, daily wear since and a few minor scratches. Highly recommended.
    On a separate note, I was in Bluff on holiday this week and met an interesting fellow wearing a much wabi'd gold jubilee GMT brown nipple dial root-beer, which he'd owned since new in 1970! Never knew such a thing existed until I followed up with a search on here.

Blenheim - I felt the majority of ADs were genuine and I expect to get a Hulk in the next 6-8 weeks. I had a good chat with one AD and he was very honest explaining that it costs neither him nor the customer to simply put their name on a list. The watches are in demand and they simply phone the people on the list in order, offering the watch when one comes in. He said they know that they will have no problem selling it.

It's good business for an AD as they don't have to spend time trying to sell me a watch. I know what I want, they don't have to discount and they turn their money over quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I guess I'm just lucky.
    I guess you're the thick end of 12 grand poorer.

^
    Right, because these watches instantly become worthless after purchase. I bet all the folks in Iceland who used Rolex as an alternate currency to get around money-export controls during the last financial crash sure wish they'd known that; apparently the method's success was just imaginary. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I guess you're the thick end of 12 grand poorer.
    11k. I guess I'll "only" be a grand down once they go, and knowing my flipping pattern they will...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    I disagree, it's not just 10% though is it? If they buy, say a DSSD for £5k and sell it now for £8k, after the price rise it will sell for £9k, an extra 33% profit. That kind of return is well worth sitting on a bit of stock for. They aren't exactly losing sales by putting them away either, simply delaying the sale to increase margin. It's not as if Rolex stop supplying them until they have shifted what they have, and you don't seriously think that they live so hand-to-mouth that they need to sell a watch to buy a watch do you?
    Last edited by stefaulkner; 2nd October 2016 at 14:21.

Craftsman
    Well perseverance paid off. After ringing AD in Surrey and getting on various waiting lists, by luck I rang an AD in Exeter, and they had a 116610, 114060 and a Deep Sea in stock. So went down today and tried them all on. In the end went for the 114060 and made up. No discounts, but managed to buy my wife a nice pair of earrings which I managed to get a deal on. So really chuffed tonight!

Journeyman
    Quick-reaction: Go for it.

Quality.

Thanks for the follow-up. That's a great watch; enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Quick-reaction: Go for it.
    Slow your roll, dude.

Plenty of time to get to your 250 posts on the next four months, so you can read the thread before replying. :P

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Well perseverance paid off. After ringing AD in Surrey and getting on various waiting lists, by luck I rang an AD in Exeter, and they had a 116610, 114060 and a Deep Sea in stock. So went down today and tried them all on. In the end went for the 114060 and made up. No discounts, but managed to buy my wife a nice pair of earrings which I managed to get a deal on. So really chuffed tonight!

Perfect watch, thats the one I went for.

Was in there myself today to pick up a watch and a strap, got asked to come back later as they were busy with a client, was that you??
    A mate of mine only last week enquired about a sub from them and was told no stock, so it must have just come in?

Master
    Congratulations
    Great watch and love the clean look but I find the date too handy to get one.
    You won't regret it.

Craftsman
    Very nearly bought one of these myself, I ended up with the Explorer but the non date Sub is a cracker. Well done and enjoy your Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Was in there myself today to pick up a watch and a strap, got asked to come back later as they were busy with a client, was that you??
    A mate of mine only last week enquired about a sub from them and was told no stock, so it must have just come in?
    Yes, it was me, sorry if I that was inconvenient, think I actually remember you standing beside me. Hope you got your strap :)

Yes, it was me, sorry if I that was inconvenient, think I actually remember you standing beside me. Hope you got your strap :)
    no no that was cool, yes got the strap and a serviced sub later, glad you got something after a fair old journey, well done

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    no no that was cool, yes got the strap and a serviced sub later, glad you got something after a fair old journey, well done
    Roughly 180 miles round trip, went on the bike though, so was a good ride. First time in Exeter, thought it was a nice city, might have to visit again on the train and have a lazy lunch one Saturday.