closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Don't you just hate it…

Don't you just hate it…

… when the idiot jeweller doesn't secure the watch properly for posting

How hard can it be? It's no good packing the watch box inside the postal box so securely that it can withstand an air crash, if the watch itself is rocking and rolling everywhere inside the watch box. Dumb ass

It was supposed to be brand new but there was no wrapping on the bracelet, no sticker on the glass and there are scratches on the polished centre links, probably as a result of its journey

And a few marks on the brushed sections where links have bashed against each other.

I think they can be Cape Cod polished, and the brushed marks are minimal, but it's such a downer to receive a watch like that.

So now to the problem of a return or not. I quite like the watch, and it's not freely available on the bracelet at the price I got it for, but unless I can remove all the marks won't I just be annoyed every time I wear it? And if I wear it I can't return it. Should I try to get some money back to pay for the polishing?

What do we think?

Well there's no harm in telling them how disappointed you are and see what they say.

Banned
    I agree with Dave. Send them a email or call them. It would peeve me off too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Shocking, isn't it? All it takes is a little bit of common sense and they still fail.

As mentioned previously, you need to express your thoughts to the dealer.

I'll be getting in touch tomorrow. But it's perplexing. If I post a watch, whether it's a £50 Vostok or a £2500 Omega, it gets packed nice and tight and bubble-wrapped to death.

Yes

And it's usually dealers

I had a watch sent in it inner and outer box, but loose inside an RMSD plastic bag. Outer cardboard box and the inner wood box were smashed up completely. Watch was okay so it took some time to get the dealer to deliver a new box to go with it. Hope you get a bit off for consideration rather than loose out on the watch completely

What a pain

Tim

Craftsman
    That is poor and very disappointing. I would hope any decent AD would accept responsibility so I would do exactly as you suggest and see if they will refund the cost of a jeweller polishing it. Then you have the option of doing it your self (assuming they don't ask for the receipt).

Craftsman
    Annoying but that's a cracking looking Alpina and I've never seen one on that style of bracelet.

I would return and get a refund and then start over the search, no matter how hard. Crappy way to start ownership of something expensive and nice.

For me the buying experience would be ruined by that, I would send it back. But then again, I am overly fussy!

Very unprofessional, and unacceptable in my opinion, certainly make them aware of your displeasure, and the damage caused to your watch due to insufficient packaging methods.

Being an automatic watch does it work correctly after having been treated that way? Have you checked the plus minus daily?

Craftsman
    Definitely contact the jewellers and see what they say, for me it's send it back. Even if they give you money back it's your time and effort to get it resolved.

Definitely annoying! When your expecting something brand new to be delivered, you would expect someone who handles watches every day to take more care.

The retailer has got back to me, apologising and explaining it was unwrapped because it was a display model – as I suspected. They have offered a return for full refund (naturally) or a 50 euros refund. So, decisions, decisions…

Another thing that concerns me ever so slightly is the unsigned/unstamped warranty card. Now I know this is standard for a grey dealer but it's something of a risk I haven't had to worry about before. That said, it's a standard movement and proven, but …

What are people's thoughts on the warranty, or lack of? I still have rights with the retailer, who seems straight up and has been around a long time.

Craftsman
    You still have rights with the retailer and a €50 refund that should be enough to do the bracelet so i would keep it

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    the unsigned/unstamped warranty card. Now I know this is standard for a grey dealer.
    it is? My one time buying GM, getting a stamped warranty card was something I wouldn't have been without

Master
    Total carelessness. So avoidable. Beggar's belief this has come from an experienced watch seller. Bubble wrap isn't dear. Accidents you have to shrug at but this kind of thing just triggers frustration. Grrrrrr!

Nothing surprises me anymore. I bought a Breitling Colt one time (used) and it showed up in its Breitling box - but the seller had just wrapped up the Breitling box with packing tape and written my address on the tape with a Sharpie. Needless to say, the box was useless as I couldn't get the packing tape off without destroying the outer surface of the box. The watch had a ding in the bezel that I knew about beforehand, but after seeing how he shipped the watch I had little trouble imagining how the watch had gotten dinged. Some people are just clueless when it comes to caring for their possessions. I've ridden to lunch with co-workers whose cars were literally rolling landfills. You never have to accept this fact, but you have to recognize that some people just flat out can't be bothered with neatness.

Journeyman
    Happens ALL the time to me. Obviously, since I buy a TONNE of watches.

I can't comment on this brand but I once had an Omega Ploprof with an undated/unstamped card. I asked an AD where I stood and he told me that Omega would not honour the warranty. To be fair, I never asked Omega directly.

I'd get them to stamp the warranty card because you don't have a contract with the manufacturer and in theory the manufacturer are quiet probably making it a term of the contract with the AD that the card is stamped. So without this you would have a long winded battle to prove the AD purchased via the manufacturers stipulations regarding the warranty. This is in theory of course and it is more likely than not that if you had any problems the AD would deal with these via the manufacturer who would for good will hopefully treat it as an omission, but that would be arguable. So i'd get that stamped as the priority and then accept the 50 quid and polish the light marks with a cape cod.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    it is? My one time buying GM, getting a stamped warranty card was something I wouldn't have been without
    So maybe this retailer isn't 'grey' as such, but it's definitely not an Authorised Dealer for Alpina. And don't some 'greys' supply their own warranty rather than the manufacturer warranty?

So maybe this retailer isn't 'grey' as such, but it's definitely not an Authorised Dealer for Alpina. And don't some 'greys' supply their own warranty rather than the manufacturer warranty?
    Yes, that's true. Have you got one of those instead?

I bought my LLD from Iconic. The AD in the first instance which they sourced it from in Italy stamped the warranty card to prove where it was sourced from and that it was from a Longines AD. Iconic then dated it when they received it. So as far as the manufacturer are concerned it was sourced from their AD which covers any warranty issues. Otherwise you may be relying on an unknown providing your warranty. Which is fine if you know and trust them as much as you trust the manufacturer to offer just as good a warranty. I can't see any reason why the supplier you bought off could not do the same?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Send it back.

My GS spring drive turned up today in the same way, fortunately it had the protective plastic film around the body or no doubt it would have been damaged and as we all know with a Grand seiko cape cods aint good enough..
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yes, that's true. Have you got one of those instead?
    Just the receipt. I've asked them the question though. It might still be going back depending on their final answer.

Craftsman
    Don't you just hate it… when people post subjects which are click bait, that's twice I have been in this thread, because I forgot what was in it last time !

Craftsman
    What model is this?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoyne1 View Post
    What model is this?
    Alpiner Chrono AL-750 41.5

Master
    The watch is a beauty! I would probably end up keeping it.
    I am sure that the polished centre links will start suffering after a month on your wrist so no big deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    My GS spring drive turned up today in the same way, fortunately it had the protective plastic film around the body or no doubt it would have been damaged and as we all know with a Grand seiko cape cods aint good enough..
    Keith
    You got that right. The only person who should touch a GS is an old man living in the mountains of Japan, who is an expert sword and watch polisher, annointed by the emperor.

I feel for the OP, this is just plain stupid and hugely frustrating.

Every watch I ship has bubble wrap taped around the watch head and I put tape on any parts of the bracelet that might rub. I thought I was perhaps going over the top, but the picture shows what happens if you just chuck the watch in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    For me the buying experience would be ruined by that, I would send it back. But then again, I am overly fussy!
    Another vote for this. No watch is perfect, but why should you put up with marks due to such blatant carelessness?

Send it back and explicitly state why.

You'll find another and you may well end up teaching them a lesson when they struggle to offload this now damaged piece to the next prospective customer.

Craftsman
    That is very annoying.

I would ask them to take the band back and replace it with a new one. Maybe some compensation as well.

Nice watch bythe way

To put this thread to bed, I gave it some with the Cape Cod and there's still a tiny nick on the end link, but that's under the LED magnifier and in daylight it looks fine so I accepted the 50 euro refund and will enjoy the watch.

I checked the paperwork properly and there's a retailer 24 month guarantee card so it's all covered.

I adjusted the bracelet the other night and it now fits like a glove. Happy bunny

Craftsman
    Good result then
    Looks cracking btw

Craftsman
    In reply to the original OP, I would have asked for a full refund, I mean you wouldn't buy a new car with a scratch, would you?

But having said that you did get a decent result in the end. Nice watch btw, bit marmite, but I am partial to the odd helping.