closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Netfix vs Amazon Prime

Netfix vs Amazon Prime

Which one is the better of the two? Also I am struggling to actually identify the cost of the service. I know there is a annual one off (amazon) or monthly (netfix) charge, but do you have to pay for more depending on what you watch or is it as much as you can consume?

I most say that both their web-site are remarkably vague in these things.

Any advice most welcome.

Many thanks

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Both are unlimited Andy, I have tried both but prefer Netflix as they are better at Box sets, Amazon Prime may be better for movies though.

Journeyman
    Both are all you can consume, my average usage is 200gb per month so be careful if on non unlimited internet,
    The caveat is that Amazon also has content that you can pay to watch, only videos with the prime banner are available as part of the scheme.
    Also you can pay for prime on a monthly basis but this does not include the prime membership on amazon. this is £5.99 a month vs £7.50 for Netflix for HD content.

Netflix is watch whatever you like thats listed, Prime is two tier, the Prime membership gets you access to whats listed under the Prime menus, but there is a lot that is pay per view, the more uptodate films for example, I prefer Netflix in this regard. Another option is NowTV, a little bit more money but better content, you can buy 4 different 'passes' Movies, Entertainment ( TV shows ) Sport and the Kids package. We have all 3 platforms but hardly use the Amazon Prime, just Now TV and Netflix . The Movies package is great and the same as Sky movies.

Master
    We have both, but Amazon Firebox has a Netflix app so we watch Netflix through Amazon. Works really well. We use Amazon Prime though for other features too like the next day delivery on many things, family sharing account etc.

Amazon is better for movies by a country mile.
    Netflix has lots of good American TV series, House of Cards, Breaking Bad etc.

I have both (don't ask why) and I use both. Netflix is best for box sets and just finding stuff to kill time. Amazon is good as you can download some stuff and watch when on train,plane or automobile without internet.

If I had to have 1 only it would be Netflix.

It's one of my pet peeves that we end up going for both (as well as Sky). Unfortunately, there are just enough exclusives on each to convince us to sign up for each one!

I would say Amazon is the weakest, especially now they've massively increased the cost of Lovefilm - they've got the poorest selection of TV, and the fact that some series are a paid "upgrade" is just plain annoying.

I'd go for Netflix if I were just going to have one.

It really depends what TV/movies you like.

Netflix.

I watched 10 episodes/series 1 of a cracker of a comedy on Amazon then went to watch the next series only to find out I have to pay around 3 quid an episode.
    Silly me thought the annual subscription was a cover all just like Netflix, It's not...

Yeah, right (now p!$$ off) !

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Netflix.

I watched 10 episodes/series 1 of a cracker of a comedy on Amazon then went to watch the next series only to find out I have to pay around 3 quid an episode.
    Silly me thought the annual subscription was a cover all just like Netflix, It's not...

Yeah, right (now p!$$ off) !

That was my experience too..... Very annoying.

We have both but like others on this thread I would stick with Netflix if I had to have just one.

In fact I only have Amazon as a free add on from the Prime Delivery arrangement we signed up for. I keep forgetting I even have access to it and very rarely watch it.

The only reason I have ever used it regularly was to access Fear The Walking Dead Season 1. With Netflix we devour box sets on a regular basis and its my go to alternative when there's nowt on Sky.

We have both and Now TV. Netflix works out about £7.50 a month. My son is a layabout, I mean student, he lives in a room at the top of our stairs he has Prime that I pay for. Its half price, about £40.00 a year, for students. With Prime if there is something rare or very new you can pay per view it. Now TV is worth just dipping in and out of. Have them all and it saves arguments.

We have both but end up watching more on Amazon.

The other consideration is that you also get free delivery with amazon prime so the TV can end up being free if you shop online a lot through amazon.

Apprentice
    Can only speak on behalf of Netflix, pay 7.50 a month (was 5.99 till a few months ago) for hd content. Very smooth and user friendly on all platforms usually watched on ps3 or a tablet. Broad collection of tv series such as breaking bad, suits, power, dexter house of cards etc. You don't tend to find relatively new movies on Netflix which i hear Amazon is good for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have both but Netflix is the only one I'd pay for - we get Amazon as a by-product of Prime membership.

Netfix has a much better user interface (though neither are perfect), better original content -though Amazon is catching up - and a selection of movies that is easy to find. Amazon's free movies are harder to find as they seem to want to steer you to pay per view content most of the time.

If I'm looking for something to watch then I'll just jump onto Netflix and usually find something - often that i've never heard of - interesting quite easily. I rarely browse Amazon.

Master
    Another user of both, I like the fact that you can download from amazon for offline viewing and they have produced some good stuff. I pay anually for prime to include the delivery but believe both offer no contract in the monthly plan so just give them ago no see what you think, this is certainly the case with Netflix.

Master
    If you are a big music fan like myself Amazon Prime is amazing. You can either listen online or download to your devices a massive selection of albums and artists. I was going to give it up until they started the music option, but now will keep it.
    The films, tv are not brilliant but the music plus prime delivery, plus library choice each month makes it worthwhile, to me anyway.

Master
    It's hard to say which is better without comparing like for like content. I have both but I primarily got Amazon Prime for the same/next day delivery so the streaming music and video service is simply a bonus. A pretty decent bonus i'll say!

Amazon reminds me a bit of what Netflix was like 4 years ago. It's getting better. Not quite Netflix level yet, but they might be able to give them a run for their money in a year or two. Considering how dire the selection was just a year ago, they are improving very fast. Faster than Netflix did initially.

I hope that happens because I'm really getting ticked off with Netflix messing around with the UI, frequently hiding "my list" and "continue watching", because those are what you are looking for 95% of the time. They actually disappeared completely the other night, so I watched Mr Robot on Amazon, instead of what I actually wanted to watch. Then there's the stress-inducing autoplay "feature", which they admit is a beta feature and the web is full of complaints about it, but even so, there's no way to opt out on Roku.

Netflix need some strong competition, because right now they are really the only game in town and are terrible at listening to their customers about how annoying their apps can be.

I'm generally a big proponent of Netflix but they also managed to lose all my data a few weeks ago. They've restored most of it now (some seems to be lost forever), but I think that experience has just amplified my irritation at their usual nonsense. Amazon have the most basic, off-the-shelf white-label app, but at least they don't go out of their way to deliberately make it unusable.

One gripe (but maybe a postive, given more time to get used to it) with Amazon, is that they seem to have a very high turnover rate for movies. This means there are a lot of films that will be available for free on Prime, but then a few weeks later you need to pay to buy/rent them. In contrast to Netflix, they do at least tell you that these films have "limited time on Prime" but they still don't tell you exactly how long you've got before they disappear. They also don't show this anywhere if you've added something to your list to watch later. The only way you can tell is by checking the "limited time" category. Hopefully they will improve this. Sudden disappearances have been a huge complaint about Netflix basically forever, and there's no sign that they intend to do anything about it. The possible upside with this apparently higher turnover rate on Amazon is that it may create opportunities to see more new releases, with the downside that you can't as easily bookmark something and watch it later, since it might disappear (this has happened to me with several films already and I've only had Prime for a few months). This is something I've got into the habit of doing with Netflix, so it seems like I might need to un-learn that habit to get the most out of Amazon.

Many thanks chaps. Still none the wiser, but am leaning towards Netfix I feel and can fall back on Kodi for movies and live sport when required.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I think both offer a free 30 day trail. We've had Netflix for a couple of years, amazon prime was cancelled before the 30 day trial ended. As others have said, amazon interface is awful and you have to pay for some of the stuff. Downside of Netflix is series can be removed before you finish watching. I've found a vpn useful fir accessing other countries Netflix as they have different content or when I want to access the UK stuff while I'm abroad.