closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedy Pro on 6.75" wrist

Speedy Pro on 6.75" wrist

Around 10 years ago I owned 4 Speedmaster Professionals. Two cal 321s, a cal 861 from 1985 on 1450 bracelet and a modern-day 3570.50.

I sold all of them because I convinced myself that they looked ridiculously large on my wrist.

At the time I did the same with my full size Seamaster Professionals, and for the same reason: I simply believed they were too large (for me).

Since then, and many years on, I have tried the Seamasters again, and at 41mm diameter, 11mm thick, I am really happy with the size. Now I have become accustomed to them they seem to sit perfectly on my wrist.

I am now tempted to try the Speedy again. I remember the end links of the modern bracelet protruding somewhat but I do have a nice 1447 bracelet that I would fit instead - problem solved maybe.

I am still not wholly convinced however.

My wrist is 6.75" with flat profile. Can any of my fellow girly-wristed TZers share a photograph of a Speedy Pro on their wrist? Or comment as to whether they have successfully bonded with this model despite the size?

Any pics or insights gratefully received; should I really be trying this again? thanks folks.

Here you go, speedy on my 6.75 girly wrist. I don't have any photo on file but I think it looks fine with the OEM bracelet.

Master

Here you go sir! I have a 17cm wrist which is also quite flat, hope this helps.

Sorry no pic but I have the same size wrist and had no problems with the size. I never had it on a bracelet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, sorry no pic but personally I found it too big for my 6.75" wrist

I had a reduced for a while which felt OK

I have 7 1/4 inch wrists and the Pro was too big for me. The reduced was perfect though.

Master
    6.75 inch wrist. I think it's perfect.

Master
    About 6.75" wrist. The modern bracelet is a no-no for me due to the end links

My wrists are flattish 6.75", Colin. I'm quite happy wearing anything from 30mm to 46mm diameter if I like the watch although the long lugs did put me off a Nomos I was interested in. Here's my 3570.50 on a GGB and the same sized Tintin on a 1998/849 bracelet.

Craftsman
    If you're worried about size, you could check out the Speedmaster FOIS.
    It's slightly smaller coming in at 39.7mm :)

I have exactly 6,75" wrist and found the Speedmaster on 1479 bracelet absolutely comfortable and not looking funny or too large at all on my wrist.

Journeyman

wrist size

I think whether a Speedy Pro fits depends not so much on the overall circumference of your wrist, but on it's exact shape. My wrist is only 6.25" but it's fairly flat on top. I used to think the Speedmaster was too big for me, but I think it's OK because there's a few mm between the lugs and the edge of my wrist. I also have an FOIS which is practically the same size as a Speedy Pro but manages to look slightly smaller. If you feel it's too big on the bracelet, try it on a strap too. I think that makes a difference.

Master
    I have a 6.75" wrist and felt my Speedy Pro fitted very well. For some reason it seemed to wear smaller than my full size SMP even though it is designated as 1mm bigger.

Master
    I think all of these photos (inc. mine) make it look bigger than it looks in real life...looks fine on my 6.5-6.75 wrist

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    If you're worried about size, you could check out the Speedmaster FOIS.
    It's slightly smaller coming in at 39.7mm :)
    This.

A few mm does make a difference. (+ the FOIS is a nice twist on the classic professional)

I sold my Speedmaster Pro because it felt too small...

Simon

I think you'll be fine.

I agree with the comments above though, the end links seem to make the modern bracelet jut out a little too much for me but switching to a strap solves that issue and makes it wear a lot neater to my eye.

Craftsman
    On my flat 6.75''

Journeyman
    I've tried these on at the AD and they seem fine on my 6.75" wrist. Amazing watch.

It'll be fine, they wear smaller on leather if it feels too big on bracelet

I tried one on two weeks ago as I was worried it would be too big for my 7.25" wrists, but it was really comfortable.

Remember that watches always look ridiculously big in wristshots.

Journeyman
    I tried one of these on today, along with a few others... a seamaster 300 and an aqua terra. I definitely preferred the speedmaster, and will be buying one very soon !

Master
    My wrist is about 6.75", maybe a mite larger. I had a Speedmaster Pro until this year, then sold it to buy something else.

For a long time I had a hang up about big watches. Perhaps that's because I got the watch bug having fallen for the painted dials of 30s and 40s bubblebacks, whose cases are around 32mm. When later I decided to look at Rolex sports models and fixed on the GMT, I searched initially for the 6542 because the case was 2mm smaller than the 1675. In the end I got a 40mm 1675 and loved it.

Speedie Pro was the biggest watch I've ever owned but I don't think it looked too big on the wrist, even with the bracelet (mine was a 1992 model, the bracelet was original). I regret selling it, the more so because I still see it occasionally!

I hope your decision, whatever it is, works out for you.
    Last edited by NickRed71; 25th September 2016 at 21:24. Reason: Delete orphan text

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    This.

A few mm does make a difference. (+ the FOIS is a nice twist on the classic professional)
    The FOIS has the same bezel and dial size so should feel pretty similar on the wrist. The size difference is because it does without the bumpers which the 145.0022 case has. I think the FOIS does have 19mm lugs so may wear differently lengthways but the width is exactly the same as the regular Speedy Pro if you discount the bumpers and likely feels just the same on the wrist. It is for this reason that the Speedy Pro even though it clocks in at 41mm actually feels smaller, more like 40mm on the wrist.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th September 2016 at 22:10.

Master
    I have the exact same wrist size and exact same problem! Love Speedies to bits, but every time I've bought one I've ended up deciding it's too big and selling it on. I've been through nine or ten this way...

If you have the cash, look at the mid-sixties straight-lug models. Alternately, the FOIS model is a bit smaller - much better sizing for our wrists.

I think it also helps having them on leather rather than a bracelet - the bracelet tends to make it feel/wear a little bigger.

My wrists are a tad under 6.5" and have never had any problems with speedy pros.... then again it depends on the cross sectional shape of your wrists too I suppose
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 26th September 2016 at 09:49.

Craftsman
    My wrists are 6.75" and I never felt that the Speedie was too big, either on the Omega bracelet or an after market leather strap I put it on more recently. Fantastic feeling watch.

I sold mine because it felt too big on my 7" wrist. The lugs and end links were quite prominent. The bracelet adjustment also meant the watch slid up and down the wrist quite a bit.

Speedy Pro on 6.75" wrist

Thanks for all the replies.

A really varied set of perceptions and opinions!

I've decided to go for the Speedy Pro and have placed the order. I do want to wear it with bracelet but I have an alternative bracelet (pics below) that I will use to avoid the prominent end links of the modern version.

Thanks again if you took the trouble to respond - I'll update the thread once I know whether I'm satisfied with the outcome!

Last edited by colin t; 26th September 2016 at 17:08.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

A really varied set of perceptions and opinions!

I've decided to go for the Speedy Pro and have placed the order. I do want to wear it with bracelet but I have an alternative bracelet (pics below) that I will use to avoid the prominent end links of the modern version.

Thanks again if you took the trouble to respond - I'll update the thread once I know whether I'm satisfied with the outcome!

Will be interested to see the outcome !

A quick update now that the Speedmaster has arrived...

You may hold a different view - but I think it works just fine.

I put the watch head straight onto the 1447 bracelet and I think the shallower end links really help. Having said that I will size the modern bracelet and give that a go too - I might even get away with it.

Some pics:

Craftsman
    Looks a good size. Enjoy it. G.

Looks perfect ��

Master
    Looks good.
    Im similar sized wrist and am going to put it on a Hirsch leather strap though I bought it on the bracelet.

Journeyman
    I have a fairly sensibly sized wrist, too. Therefore I would have considered the reduced. I said 'would have' because I saw the Speedy and fell in love. Notwithstanding size. I wouldn't go smaller. Size will be OK on your wrist!

Master
    Those pictures had me confused before I realised they were shots of watch on left and right wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Those pictures had me confused before I realised they were shots of watch on left and right wrist.
    All left, just some are taken in the mirror

Master
    Id have failed my detective exams.
    dooh

You can't really go wrong with a Speedmaster, it looks great.

Looks stupid! to help out I will give you £100 and take it off your hands.

(obviously, I am joking it looks great)

It does look great, and I reckon it will be fine on the modern bracelet as well.

Journeyman

Spot on

That looks fine ... perfectly in proportion.

Looks great with the older style bracelet. I wish they'd bring that back as standard not only because the end links allow the bracelet to drop around a smaller wrist, but also because of the simpler 3 row construction and all brushed finish which looks altogether more 'toolish' than the dressier 5 row with polished accents.

When I was in my late teens, my local Omega dealer used to regularly have used Speedmasters in the window and they always had that style of bracelet, for some reason it looks more authentic to me.
    Last edited by AKM; 9th October 2016 at 19:59.

The Speedy looks perfectly fine on your wrist

I also have a 6.75" wrist and I've never felt the Speedy was too big.