closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I fancy a large Rolex - but not a Yachtmaster?

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

Help! I fancy a large Rolex - but not a Yachtmaster?

Though mainly a Breitling fan, I'm starting to get a hankering for a Rolex of some sort. I really like the look of the Hulk, the GMT Master II and (unsurprisingly) the Daytona.

However, saw a Hulk in the flesh recently, and was really disappointed in how small it was (40mm?) - I've got fairly hefty wrists, around 8.2", and anything less than a 44mm case just doesn't look right.

I think the Yachtmaster is the biggest I've seen at 44mm, but I'm not a fan of the design. The Explorer II is pretty, but again, just a touch small (42mm?)

Are there any other Rolex models that cater for the gorilla-wristed? Any pointers would be welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Deepsea

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Deepsea
    +1

Master
    The Deepsea IS the one for you then.

Master
    Is the YM 44mm?
    I didn't realise it was that large.
    Unfortunately, most Rolex are no larger than around 40mm, so only the Deepsea or Explorer 2 are your options I think.

Master
    Deepsea with black dial or d-blue dial.

Or

Yachtmaster II

Those are pretty much what's available. With Yachtmaster II you can also choose two tone- or precious metal- versions

According to the Rolex website the YM is 40mm. As far as I understand it the DSSD is the only 44mm watch Rolex make, and (just like the OP) is therefore the only Rolex I would ever consider buying, as I'm only happy with watches of between 43mm and 46mm...

Simon

Oops, just noticed that YM2 is indeed 44mm. Horrible looking imo, though...
    Last edited by mycroft; 23rd September 2016 at 07:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    +1
    +2

The datejust II certainly appears larger than its measurements would suggest. The large dial and particularly the fluted bezel makes for a large looking watch.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 23rd September 2016 at 07:51.

Blog Entries
    Got to be a deep sea, I'm use to Pams, super ocean 44mm yet I sold my deepsea as I felt it was too big so should suit your needs perfectly :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    According to the Rolex website the YM is 40mm. As far as I understand it the DSSD is the only 44mm watch Rolex make, and (just like the OP) is therefore the only Rolex I would ever consider buying, as I'm only happy with watches of between 43mm and 46mm...

Simon

Oops, just noticed that YM2 is indeed 44mm. Horrible looking imo, though...
    In the same boat. The DSSD would be ideal, but I just can't justify the difference in price over a Sub (I'm not that fussed about the WR, since I can't even swim, let alone dive)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    The datejust II certainly appears larger than its measurements would suggest. The large dial and particularly the fluted bezel makes for a large looking watch.
    I'd second this. It wears quite large - I don't have one but a colleague does and he's a big guy and it suits his wrists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    [...]The Explorer II is pretty, but again, just a touch small (42mm?)[...]
    It really isn't; with its long lugs and substantial case, the 216570 appears significantly larger than most 42 mm watches.

My wrist isn't far off 8" around, and I don't find it small in the least:

The dial is bigger than my Deepsea, too, which makes it look about the same head-on:

Probably worth giving it a try, at least. The only options that haven't been mentioned yet in >40 mm Rolex are the new Datejust 41, the Day-Date II, and the Sky-Dweller.

P.S. Nothing wrong with 40 mm on a big wrist, either:

This ad for the gigantic watch is meant to show how awesome and manly it is, but I find it has exactly the opposite effect. I've rarely seen a better demonstration of how perfected the classic Rolex sports case is for any wrist.

Master
    How about a Sky-Dweller? 42mm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

This ad for the gigantic watch is meant to show how awesome and manly it is, but I find it has exactly the opposite effect. I've rarely seen a better demonstration of how perfected the classic Rolex sports case is for any wrist.
    You're so right. Makes big watch look cheap and clumsy.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Deepsea, but as previously suggested, don't dismiss the 42mm explorer2. It wears a lot bigger than its dimensions on paper suggest.

Another vote for the Explorer II, definitely wears big for a 42mm but is also a great size height wise (unlike the DSSD). I have the black dial version and although I've wanted a hulk or non date sub I can never bring myself to swap as I love this watch so much. I like the fact it's less obviously a Rolex than the Subs/ GMTs but that may or may not be something you like.
    I always found the white dial looked slightly larger on the wrist than the black so that might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    How about a Sky-Dweller? 42mm.
    thats a big ass watch alright, but oh so nice, just wish it was available in SS or even TT

Master
    Large men have always worn the 36mm Day Date, and looked great.

I have a customer who comes in wearing a platinum dial yachtmaster - it always catches my eye because it is 44-46 mm.

I've not actually got my ruler out but was wearing my Breitling SOH at the time for reference.

Seems odd to fake a watch completely the wrong size but I'm sure he likes it!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Large men have always worn the 36mm Day Date, and looked great.
    Tony Soprano to name but a few :-)

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

It seems that I should be looking at the DeepSea. I quite like the look of the D-Blue 'James Cameron' version - I'm guessing that'll be pricier as it's a limited edition?

I will have a look at the Explorer II as well - the white Dial does seem to make it look bigger than its darker brother.

The Sky Dweller must be an acquired taste (that I haven't developed yet). Not attractive.

Cheers,

Mike

Master

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

It seems that I should be looking at the DeepSea. I quite like the look of the D-Blue 'James Cameron' version - I'm guessing that'll be pricier as it's a limited edition?

I will have a look at the Explorer II as well - the white Dial does seem to make it look bigger than its darker brother.

The Sky Dweller must be an acquired taste (that I haven't developed yet). Not attractive.

Cheers,

Mike
    D-Blue is not limited edition.
    It is a little bit more expensive but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

The big watch looks clownish. The rolex spot-on IMO.

Edit:- in fact nice to see the links actually getting used - rather than spares sitting in the box.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 23rd September 2016 at 19:47.

Banned
    Mike, the DeepSea is big, but to me, it’s tall and more lump like on the wrist. The YMII lugs make it wear very well and comfortable too.

What I’m trying to say is they are completely different in respect of the way they wear.

But, you don’t like the SkyDweller, or the YMII, so I’d suggest booking into a taste class ;-)

DSSD

Mike having met you a couple of times
    The DSSD is for you for sure
    Awesome watch

Deepsea would be the one for you if it as to be Rolex,have you not considered a 47 mm Pam or iwc if you're into big watches

Mike, the DeepSea is big, but to me, it’s tall and more lump like on the wrist.
    Great!

I’d suggest booking into a taste class
    See above...

a 47 mm Pam or iwc if you're into big watches
    Never been a huge Panerai fan, but some of the larger IWCs have a certain appeal - damn, stop distracting me...

The DSSD is for you for sure
    Thanks John, I think I'm heading that way. My next job is to track down a Deep Sea and a D-Blue in the flesh to see which grabs me....

Cheers all!

Mike

My next job is to track down a Deep Sea and a D-Blue in the flesh to see which grabs me....

Easier said than done, as that D-Blue is very thin on the ground.
    However, once you find one......

Craftsman
    +1 Deepsea Blue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Which Rolex

I have a GMT Master 16700 which is big enough for me as I have skinny wrists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    I have a DJII (albeit with the smooth bezel) but wouldn't say it feels markedly larger than the specified 41mm. On a par with a couple of 42mm watches I own but what's a millimetre between friends? And I'm certainly not a big bloke - 42mm is generally my top limit.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Deepsea, but as previously suggested, don't dismiss the 42mm explorer2. It wears a lot bigger than its dimensions on paper suggest.
    +1

The 42mm Exp II wears quite large because of the case, dial and bezel design. Definitely worth a look.

Master
    Blog Entries
    + 2 on the Explorer II

Master
    I have large wrists 8"+ and have had a few Rolex. I had an explorer 2 40mm and a GMT2c and I just didn't bond with them as every time I caught a glance of them in the mirror they just looked too small. I bought a DSSD a couple of months ago and it fits perfect.

Its disappointing as I love some of the smaller watches and I feel limited now.

On the other hand I am one of those weird people who likes the Yacht master II so I think my next one is a yellow gold one of them!

I'm close to 9" inch wrists and happily wear a 40mm watch and it's very comfortable. My JSAR and Luminox P38 are probably the 2 biggest watches I have and I need to wearing jeans and t to feel comfortable with the big watch. I won't wear a big pilot either as the large dial thin profile doesn't work, but a Maratac mid-pilot sits and feels better. The 40mm Rolex is spot on!

Master
    I'm a massive breitling fan, the only thing that's gonna fit for you is a deep sea, many have already said it but I was asking exactly same question a few years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    I'm a massive breitling fan, the only thing that's gonna fit for you is a deep sea, many have already said it but I was asking exactly same question a few years ago.
    Since then added the Daytona and have to say my tastes are not the same as a few years ago

Master
    As above, try the Exp II 42mm. Due to its proportions, you might be surprised how it wears.

Thanks John, I think I'm heading that way. My next job is to track down a Deep Sea and a D-Blue in the flesh to see which grabs me....

Cheers all!

Mike
    If you were still a North Londoner, Mike, then trying a standard DSSD would be easy as there's one in the window of Fraser Hart in Brent Cross...

Simon

Great!

See above...

Never been a huge Panerai fan, but some of the larger IWCs have a certain appeal - damn, stop distracting me...

Cheers all!

Mike
    Don't dismiss Panerai. there's more to them than the ubiquitous crown guarded Luminors. Strap on 47mm of awesome onto your big manly arms...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    If you were still a North Londoner, Mike, then trying a standard DSSD would be easy as there's one in the window of Fraser Hart in Brent Cross...

Simon
    Cheers Simon.

NB - ALWAYS a North Londoner, just doing some missionary work 'oop north' at the moment....

I'm sure I can locate a 'standard' DSSD, but having trouble finding a D-Blue to have a look at up here.... Andrewcregan was spot on -
    Easier said than done, as that D-Blue is very thin on the ground.

But EJL25 probably wasn't -
    - A brief search seems to suggest a huge premium for the D-Blue over the standard DSSD - i.e Iconic £7850 vs £10700, similar margins on Chrono24, etc. - Perhaps he was referrring to the Official 'RRP', which is £8050 vs £8250, but bears no relation to the 'actual' prices being asked...

All the input is really appreciated, and the search continues...

Mike

Craftsman
    Appreciate that your that post asks for Rolex suggestions, but as a Breitling fan, what about the new(ish) Emergency?
    Aside from the massive price tag, it's also a massive watch. Sure someone will pipe in with the actual size!

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    D-Blue is not limited edition.

Most Rolex Ad's get only 1 D-Blu DSSD every 6 months and subsequently on the secondary market they are about £2000 more expensive than a black dial which are not rare at all.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Most Rolex Ad's get only 1 D-Blu DSSD every 6 months and subsequently on the secondary market they are about £2000 more expensive than a black dial which are not rare at all.

This seems about right to me, as I had to turn to the secondary (Grey) market to source one, and pay the premium!
    It was a painful financial experience, but didn't cost quite as much as suggested as above - thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Appreciate that your that post asks for Rolex suggestions, but as a Breitling fan, what about the new(ish) Emergency?
    Aside from the massive price tag, it's also a massive watch. Sure someone will pipe in with the actual size!
    Nice idea - the Emergency II is a frankly scary 51mm - but I'm fairly sorted for large Breitlings at the moment (a 48mm Chronospace Ana-Digi amongst others).

Just fancy trying a Rolex, never had one...

M

Nice idea - the Emergency II is a frankly scary 51mm - but I'm fairly sorted for large Breitlings at the moment (a 48mm Chronospace Ana-Digi amongst others).

Just fancy trying a Rolex, never had one...

M

I love my Breitlings, but you really must try a Rolex

Craftsman
    It is absolutely massive though!
    In my view, with very small wrists!

Master
    But EJL25 probably wasn't - - A brief search seems to suggest a huge premium for the D-Blue over the standard DSSD - i.e Iconic £7850 vs £10700, similar margins on Chrono24, etc. - Perhaps he was referrring to the Official 'RRP', which is £8050 vs £8250, but bears no relation to the 'actual' prices being asked...

All the input is really appreciated, and the search continues...

Mike
    Yes I was referring to the difference in RRP.
    The £10700 sounds just insane.
    Sorry for giving misguided advice.