closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking in a disabled space when you shouldn't

Parking in a disabled space when you shouldn't

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Superb.

Seen this a few times. Is it genuine or a set up?
    Towards the end, when he tries to remove the 'post it' notes off his door window, it looks like a wrap has been applied?
    The 'Policeman' doesn't appear interested at all. Surely he would have been interested in the car's number plate?

Is this an earlier vid? Not sure

^^^^ Certainly appears to show how it was done
    For some kind of wind up TV show.

Boom!

Taken to the next level here ?

See also: Huffpost Comedy for:

UPDATE: Brazilian pranksters Canal Boom have taken responsibility for the viral hit, releasing the full video of the epic task and a better view of the victim’s response. www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtkzRQUTKM.

Master
    The post it notes thing is pretty funny, plus the time and embarassment serves him right. I don't agree with the paint one though as that shit will get into wiper nozzles, edges of light units, sensors etc. Even if it is water soluble it'll take forever to get it all off, if you can, and it might cause damage to the car. The guy could have really kicked off.
    I never park in a disabled space, wouldn't even consider it no matter if there were no spaces or how far I would have to walk unless it was a medical emergency but think the action taken with the paint is too much. Understand I have no idea how people who need a disabled space might feel when seeing it occupied by someone who doesnt need it.

There's a Russian lot that slap a huge sticker on windscreens of people who drive on pavements as they are driving,,some of the cars reactions are decidedly scary!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    I don't agree with the paint one though as that shit will get into wiper nozzles, edges of light units, sensors etc. Even if it is water soluble it'll take forever to get it all off, if you can, and it might cause damage to the car. The guy could have really kicked off.
    It looked fake to me, the production was all a bit too pat to be believable.

Quote Originally Posted by deryckb View Post
    In what way fake, please?

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Understand I have no idea how people who need a disabled space might feel when seeing it occupied by someone who doesnt need it.
    I can tell you that... absolutely fuming!

It is not that the spaces are usually closer to the entrance, but that the spaces are wider and allow a chair user to park and open their door wide enough to allow them to get their day chair out and set up. In a standard width parking space there is almost no chance of this happening unless the adjacent space is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There's a Russian lot that slap a huge sticker on windscreens of people who drive on pavements as they are driving,,some of the cars reactions are decidedly scary!
    I do enjoy dipping into those on Youtube, Stop a Douchbag is the organisation.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deryckb View Post
    I think the same,when you see just how time consuming it is to place all those postits he would surely have bought what he went in for before it was covered as it was,in fact did he actually return with anything.

A set up yes.

I don't get why the policeman (assuming it was a policeman) watched the dude drive off in a clearly unsafe vehicle???

Master
    Sometimes the disability isn't obvious but that doesnt excuse the non disabled using them. Last year a load of us were sitting in the reception of a building when a guy in a wheelchair started ranting at the receptionist that someone had parked in the disabled bay outside and as he got more and more irate and threatening to the girls a voice was hear from a table not far away along the lines of "it's my F***in car" just as a false leg was sailing through the air towards the wheelchair. Bingo and contact, the guy in the wheelchair hasn't said a word since.

Master
    A friend at work has a disabled father so is very keen on having a word when she sees the spaces abused.

She saw a Gent pull up in his flash car and jump out, so she shouted out "y'know that's a disabled spot don't you?!"

His reply was to shout f**k off!!!!

So she just shouted back "oh, Tourette's?" To which he laughed at and said he'd move the car. As if doing her a favour.

Does my head in, as a parent of two young kids, people parking in parent and child spaces gets me in a rage too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    A friend at work has a disabled father so is very keen on having a word when she sees the spaces abused.

She saw a Gent pull up in his flash car and jump out, so she shouted out "y'know that's a disabled spot don't you?!"

His reply was to shout f**k off!!!!

So she just shouted back "oh, Tourette's?" To which he laughed at and said he'd move the car. As if doing her a favour.

Does my head in, as a parent of two young kids, people parking in parent and child spaces gets me in a rage too.
    I totally agree.

I've been working with adults with disabilities, brain injuries, learning difficulties and mental health issues for over 30 years now, and drive such adults in their cars. I've seen it all over these years including blatant abuse of parking bays and vandalism of their vehicles. It's all a bit sad IMHO.

And yet blue badge holders quite happily park in electric vehicle charging bays and quite happily tell people to f*** off when challenged.

Banned
    people parking in parent and child spaces gets me in a rage too.
    It’s these spaces which get my goat.

You have a child, so you have to park nearer the store?

Absolute and utter tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Absolute and utter tosh.
    Can't argue with that.

Absolute and utter tosh.
    Get your mummy to explain it to you.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Master

Absolute and utter tosh.
    I don't see an issue using them, after all aren't we all somebody's child

Master

Absolute and utter tosh.
    The people who need the spaces don't design the car park layout.

Absolute and utter tosh.
    The ones I've used (Brent cross) aren't closer to the store but have extra space on the side so you can open the door and get a kid into the car seat with the door open. Otherwise some of the standard spaces you haven't got a chance.

Only option is leave kid outside, reverse car , get out put kid in .

Master
    It's not about the placement it's the size. As above, they are wider to accommodate a pram. Next time you look you should notice the logo is a child in a pram.

I wouldn't mind parking at the back of the car park if it meant I could easily and safely get my kids and out of the car

Then you would get very angry with me.

While I will never, ever, park in a Disabled space, I'm afraid that "Parent and children" spaces are absolutely fair game, and I'll quite happily park in them.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Then you would get very angry with me.

While I will never, ever, park in a Disabled space, I'm afraid that "Parent and children" spaces are absolutely fair game, and I'll quite happily park in them.
    Well then Phil,you along with everybody else who does that are out of order. They are there for a reason,same as the oap slots and the disabled slots.
    Its amazing how many people who have not had or do not have young kids take this view.

Master
    Cool. At least you admit it. Pretty frustrating as a parent seeing someone say they basically don't care about it though. It's extremely helpful being able to put the pram next to the car to get my kids in etc.

Maybe if you needed to use the facility and couldn't due to people wanting to park that little closer to a shop, you'd see the other side of the argument!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Well then Phil,you along with everybody else who does that are out of order. They are there for a reason,same as the oap slots and the disabled slots.
    Its amazing how many people who have not had or do not have young kids take this view.
    Yes, Andy, but it's my choice as to whether I agree with those reasons or not. People have no choice in whether they grow old or are disabled, and so I'm prepared to do my bit to make their life easier.

Having children, on the other hand, is a lifestyle choice in my book. My desire to keep my car free from dents (by parking in a space with wide areas on either side) is as important to me, in my value system, as the easy of putting their offspring into cars for those who have chosen to have children.

Yes, Andy, but it's my choice as to whether I agree with those reasons or not. People have no choice in whether they grow old or are disabled, and so I'm prepared to do my bit to make their life easier.

Having children, on the other hand, is a lifestyle choice in my book. My desire to keep my car free from dents (by parking in a space with wide areas on either side) is as important to me, in my value system, as the easy of putting their offspring into cars for those who have chosen to have children.
    It's not about always making it easy- in some situations its outright dangerous.

It's a lifestyle choice owning a car too - you don't have to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    It's not It's a lifestyle choice owning a car too - you don't have to own one.
    Of course. But when it comes to competition for scarce resources (e.g. wide parking spaces), I'm quite happy to compete with other people who have made lifestyle choices (e.g. parents), whereas I will not compete with those who have a need for those resources due to non-lifestyle choices (e.g. Disabled, OAPs).

Banned
    My desire to keep my car free from dents (by parking in a space with wide areas on either side) is as important to me, in my value system, as the easy of putting their offspring into cars for those who have chosen to have children.
    You could always leave the car at home if you’re so frightened of getting a mark on it.

Of course. But when it comes to competition for scarce resources (e.g. wide parking spaces), I'm quite happy to compete with other people who have made lifestyle choices (e.g. parents), whereas I will not compete with those who have a need for those resources due to non-lifestyle choices (e.g. Disabled, OAPs).
    Do you claim child benefit too?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Do you claim child benefit too?
    Nope - just pay far too much for VED/petrol tax/parking/insurance tax, etc - some of which undoubtedly finds its ways into the pockets of those irresponsible parents who have chosen to breed without having the wherewithal in place to provide for their progeny.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I knew you would say that!
    It's not just for the ease of putting kids in/out of the car,it's also for the safety of being able to do so.
    Im sure that if you had a mum park next to you in a normal car space, because someone such as yourself had taken the last parent & child space,and then despite taking care they accidently dented your car whilst trying to remove kids from a car seat or remove a baby in a car seat,then you wouldn't be particularly chuffed.
    Anyhow,I expect we will have to agree to disagree......we can always take it up at the next curry. Popadums at 10 paces!

Nope - just pay far too much for VED/petrol tax/parking/insurance tax, etc - some of which undoubtedly finds its ways into the pockets of those irresponsible parents who have chosen to breed without having the wherewithal in place to provide for their progeny.
    That's a wider point and one where I can understand your POV, PK.

Master
    It would be better if all car parking spaces were afforded the same size and it would end the hunt for spaces you can actually open your doors and exit without fear of damaging your or someone else's car.

I've recently taken to using the parent and child spaces as I've developed an issue with my hip, (hopefully) not too serious or long term enough to need a disabled badge, but its enough of a problem that I need the open the car door fully to assist clambering in and out of the car and I shuffle along as my wife so kindly told me as if I sharted myself. No one has challenged me yet.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 25th September 2016 at 13:40. Reason: t's

A few years ago now but worth repeating.

Plymouth Montbatten seafront car park, sunny Saturday afternoon. A Range Rover pulls into a disabled bay, and as the (apparently perfectly healthy) driver walks away towards the pub opposite a biker who had been watching this politely pointed out the space was for disabled only. "What's it got to do with you" was the RR drivers response, to which the biker replied that he had a disabled son and it was a real problem to get him out of a car if the space was a standard size, so he thought the driver might be a little more considerate. "Yeah, well I'm only going to be 10 minutes" was the reply and off into the pub he disappeared.

Thing is, he was a lot longer than 10 minutes: in fact he was there for an hour and a half as 20+ motorbikes parked around him blocking his exit. The biker was the leader of a ride-out and the group arrived minutes later, heard of the conversation, parked up and had a leisurely lunch sat on benches outside in full view of the disabled bays.

Mr RR was not amused at all...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Our daughter is currently confined to a mobility chair for nearly all of the time when outside due to debilitating medication. It's important to occasionally get her out of the house or hospital. She doesn't qualify for a blue badge because this should be a relatively short-term situation and isn't classed a 'permanent and substantial disability'. This means that my wife relies on the parent and child spaces in order to transfer her between the car and wheelchair. It is frustrating and upsetting for her if there are none available and some of the bays have been used by those with no real need.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It would be better if all car parking spaces were afforded the same size and it would end the hunt for spaces you can actually open your doors and exit without fear of damaging your or someone else's car.

I've recently taken to using the parent and child spaces as I've developed an issue with my hip, (hopefully) not too serious or long term enough to need a disabled badge, but its enough of a problem that I need the open the car door fully to assist clambering in and out of the car and I shuffle along as my wife so kindly told me as if I sharted myself. No one has challenged me yet.
    Just a thought: are you aware of the Car Cane?

A friend of ours who's waiting for a hip replacement is using one to help him getting out of cars and he reckons it's the dogs danglies.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3MoxoC1KDw_wcB

Video: https://youtu.be/LpxPFXyfz3A
    R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Just a thought: are you aware of the Car Cane?

A friend of ours who's waiting for a hip replacement is using one to help him getting out of cars and he reckons it's the dogs danglies.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3MoxoC1KDw_wcB

Video: https://youtu.be/LpxPFXyfz3A
    R
    Looks good...free delivery from: www.highstreettv.com/car-cane.html,

Car cane?

Here was me thinking it was a big stick for beating cars with!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattlad View Post
    Car cane?

Here was me thinking it was a big stick for beating cars with!

Even better if it'd been something to beat the arrogant selfish pricks that park in disabled or mother-and-baby spaces with.

No excuse nor reasoning makes it acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    This is the salient point here. Car parking spaces are still the size they were 50 years ago when an Austin A35 or MGB would fit perfectly with room to spare. Cars have grown, and lost the rubber strips down the sides that limited bodywork damage from carelessly opened doors.

Now I have a baby I appreciate the parent and child bays, and on behalf of everyone here if I ever find PhilipK parked in one I'll block him in and go to the pub.
    "A man of little significance"

Huntingdon train station car park got resurfaced and remarked a while ago and I swear the spaces got even smaller to squeeze in more spaces to up the £ take, all that happens now is larger cars, SUVs etc are literally overhanging the marked bays when parked and there is no room for parking in the adjacent ones, it's like a domino effect along the bays.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I challenge people all the time if they are taking up the parent and child spaces without kids.

Normally I get told to F off, to which I reply that their car is unlikely to look as pristine when they come back.

They move every single time. 90% of the time it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Even better if it'd been something to beat the arrogant selfish pricks that park in disabled or mother-and-baby spaces with.
    That you conflate the two indicates that you lack the capacity to understand the difference, so I'm not surprised that your chosen respond is one of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    on behalf of everyone here if I ever find PhilipK parked in one I'll block him in and go to the pub.
    As long as you leave a note on the windscreen letting me know which pub you're in - and you're prepared to buy the first pint!

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Normally I get told to F off, to which I reply that their car is unlikely to look as pristine when they come back.
    So you are willing to risk a conviction for Criminal Damage? Or is it all just bluster? (in which case I'm not too surprised at the response that you get!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I challenge people all the time if they are taking up the parent and child spaces without kids.

They move every single time. 90% of the time it's women.
    What do you do when told they are meeting there estranged partner or the pickaninnys grandparents so they can swap the darling bundle of joy over after they've shopped?????

Journeyman
    I don't understand why people take young children shopping -it's not as if the kids are paying for the purchases.
    Any sensible parent/ guardian should either:-
    Send the au-pair to the supermarket
    or,
    Leave the little darlings in the nursery with the nanny.