closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoe Polishing Advice!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've also seen some horrors - boots with holes burnt in them by a hot spoon, sundry charred remains after a bout of enthusiasm involving a blow torch and large quantities of beeswax. I'm pleased to say that none of them were mine.
    Yes looking back, we did have to do some very odd things & we did get through a lot of cotton cloths/water/candles/Kiwi Std+Parade Gloss to make our Parade boots [spit/polish/little circles/repeat] shiny, during our initial training... But we also learnt to take really good care of our daily wear Combat boots... Which we built up to a very good shine without such techniques, but through brushed application of multiple layers of polish & no candles/burning/hot-spoons/'Clear' floor polish etc. bull!!!

I still find polishing leather shoes quite relaxing!!!! [Means I've finished for the day!]

Shoe Polishing Advice!

Been there done the candle, teaspoon and Kiwi, along with cotton wool, hot water, after shave and spit! Same in the RAF and if they weren't up to scratch, you would often find the drill instructors foot print on your toe cap :(

That's how I'm teaching my kids! I have to say though with all the different types of show finishes out there, suede, nubuck etc. I do also use creams, waxes and even dubbing, in fact my Barbour wax goes on just about everything and i still use Kiwi

Agree KITT, it is satisfying to put down a well polished pair of shoes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Join the army and spend years learning how to do it properly :-)

Eddie
    I'm a bit old to join the army now :(

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Strip the polish back and see if the colour is on the leather, if it is use some of this and then start polishing them back up. I use it to dye shoes and boots that have been left in shop windows far to long.
    Cheers - I have ordered some (and some polish too) so will report back when I've got it.

Regards,
    Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Strip the polish back and see if the colour is on the leather, if it is use some of this and then start polishing them back up. I use it to dye shoes and boots that have been left in shop windows far to long.
    Many thanks for this tip. I've just applied some of this to a pair of black Crockett & Jones nubuck chukka boots that are almost 25 years old (bought from John Rushton when he had the shop in Brewer Street). They had been relegated to DIY duties but are now passing muster for more general wear. I realise that suede and nubuck are going to soak this stuff up more readily than leather but one bottle was only just enough to do a pair of boots - if I was a size 11 I would definitely have run out.