closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Polishing Advice!

Master

Shoe Polishing Advice!

Denizens, a bit of advice.
    Bought a new pair of shoes, online. Included in the box was a tub of shoe cream!
    Have no idea how to use it.
    I use Kiwi polish, a good layer applied with a flannel and then polished (with a lot of elbow grease) using a damp flannel. I do this once a week.
    Have shoes > 4 yrs old, still going strong, supple leather, maintaining the shine and VERY comfortable.
    No cracks on the leather despite them being soaked in water on a number of occasions.
    What does shoe cream do that ordinary polish cannot?
    Thanks!

It's a long story, but the short version is that you should condition the leather as well as polish it. It keeps the leather supple and prevents it from cracking. Polishing makes it shiny. Two different jobs.

Shoe cream is better for the leather than polish.
    Most decent English manufacturers don't recommend kiwi polish or others like it. I use Saphir or Woly on my trickers.
    With cream you should clean the shoes with a stiff brush before using it.

This may help...

http://thelearnedgentleman.com/that-...tenance-guide/

I use Saphir exclusively these days, it really is good stuff.

Got to be honest OP.Carry on as you were and harm will come to no one then put the shoe cream on SC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Got to be honest OP.Carry on as you were and harm will come to no one then put the shoes on SC.

👍🏽

Banned
    Blog Entries
    why you want to put Polish people on your shoes I dont know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    This may help...

http://thelearnedgentleman.com/that-...tenance-guide/

I use Saphir exclusively these days, it really is good stuff.
    Yep use Saphir also.

Banned
    I find it easier to throw each pair away after a days wear.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I find it easier to throw each pair away after a days wear.
    ^^^ Made me chuckle...

Master
    Don't forget to apply the cream to the inside too! Just don't overdo it!

Master
    Handy thread. I've not used anything other than Kiwi to date on my work shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I find it easier to throw each pair away sell mine on Sales Corner after a days wear.

Master
    Dear all,
    Thanks for your advice. Soundood, your sense of humour is worse than mine (I like it).
    Will use the supplied shoe cream and see if it makes any difference. Now I need to buy nail polish remover, oh! The shame!
    What do the denizens of the forum think of Churchs shoes?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For conditioning I use Mink oil.

Cream has a better colour pigment and will help restore colour to your shoes.

Polish does exactly what it says on the tin, it polishes. Nothing else. In fact over time the continued use of polish alone will gradually dry your leather and lead to cracking.

I'm a big fan of church's and always use saphir! The way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Dear all,
    Thanks for your advice. Soundood, your sense of humour is worse than mine (I like it).
    Will use the supplied shoe cream and see if it makes any difference. Now I need to buy nail polish remover, oh! The shame!
    What do the denizens of the forum think of Churchs shoes?
    Ok for a pair of basic work shoes. Try Berluti for something more stylish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Ok for a pair of basic work shoes. Try Berluti for something more stylish.
    £ 425 for a pair of work shoes! Mate I am a government employee cannae afford that kind of money. The problem is there are very few shoes available in polished leather

Don't buy polished (patent) leather then - simples! They look horrible and cheap.

Buy proper shoes made out of proper calf leather. Looks for Cheaney on sale. Then use products from saphir to look after them. Invest in shoe trees too. I'm sure I've said all this before!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Don't buy polished (patent) leather then - simples! They look horrible and cheap.

Buy proper shoes made out of proper calf leather. Looks for Cheaney on sale. Then use products from saphir to look after them. Invest in shoe trees too. I'm sure I've said all this before!
    I always thought polished leather and patent leather are different? Correct me if I'm wrong

As far as I know there is patent leather (i.e. looks shiny / polished) and calf leather. Church's have a type of patent leather that they call 'binder' I believe.

Master
    As far as I know there is patent leather (i.e. looks shiny / polished) and calf leather. Church's have a type of patent leather that they call 'binder' I believe.
    My understanding is patent leather is leather treated/coated with "stuff" to make it very (IMO plastic like) shiny. Polished leather is just that a leather that is polished to take on a shine. Happy to be corrected.

Master

Is it just placebo effect?

Thread resurrection, following the advice received on this forum I have started using shoe cream before buffing my shoes with wax polish. My shoes feel more supple and soft. Is it just a placebo effect? In all honesty I have only polished my shoes thrice since I started this thread.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 12th November 2016 at 18:56.

Master
    I always use Saphir Renovateur followed by a Polish Creme.

Works for me.

Does anyone use wax?

Thread resurrection, following the advice received on this forum I have started using shoe cream before buffing my shoes with wax polish. My shoes feel more supple and soft. Is it just a placebo effect? In all honesty I have only polished my shoes thrice since I started this thread.
    Some of my colleagues would be happy to do an academic analysis of the material's properties pre / post shoe cream. I don't think it's a placebo effect, but can't be sure (see my first sentence).

If they feel more supple and soft I think you have answered your own question.

But if in doubt we'd be happy to do the research if you pay for it!

Master
    Some of my colleagues would be happy to do an academic analysis of the material's properties pre / post shoe cream. I don't think it's a placebo effect, but can't be sure (see my first sentence).

Will it be non destructive testing?
    Last edited by 72bpm; 12th November 2016 at 22:10.

Master

Just out of curiosity how much will it cost? If reasonable I may pass the hat around and.................
    Will it be non destructive?

Just out of curiosity how much will it cost? If reasonable I may pass the hat around and.................
    Will it be non destructive?
    Materials analysis doesn't come cheap! I can only think of destructive ways of measuring the elasticity etc of the leather, but I'm not a materials scientist.

But it would make a nice 'public science' type story so I might ask some of my colleagues. If they think of any ideas I'll ring Cheaney and ask for some leather off-cuts!

Master
    Materials analysis doesn't come cheap! I can only think of destructive ways of measuring the elasticity etc of the leather, but I'm not a materials scientist.

But it would make a nice 'public science' type story so I might ask some of my colleagues. If they think of any ideas I'll ring Cheaney and ask for some leather off-cuts!
    Sorry are we talking ££ or £££ or ££££££? Could try different leathers, different brands. Thanks to this forum been reading up on leather care, quite a lot of different opinions out there e.g. some say saddle soap in no good for shoes, others say mink oil is not that great, the list goes on and on. Who knows you may end up winning the Ig Noble prize!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 13th November 2016 at 21:10.

Master
    £ 425 for a pair of work shoes! Mate I am a government employee cannae afford that kind of money. The problem is there are very few shoes available in polished leather
    £425!! Berluti have been well north of that for a few years. Churchs or Cleverleys are lovely traditional shoes but best bought in a sale. You could get something from Charles Trywhitt. Not stupidly priced and perfectly good shoes. Depends on your budget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    £425!! Berluti have been well north of that for a few years. Churchs or Cleverleys are lovely traditional shoes but best bought in a sale. You could get something from Charles Trywhitt. Not stupidly priced and perfectly good shoes. Depends on your budget.
    My job involves a lot of walking, 250 is tops for me. Prefer polished leather ( not patent) over calf as easier to get and maintain a good shine. TBH never thought of C T, I do have a few casual shirts from them. Reasonably priced an decent quality. Size is an issue e.g. I'm a size 8 in formal Loake but a size 7.5 in casual Loakes and Barker!

Prefer polished leather ( not patent) over calf as easier to get and maintain a good shine.
    I find that calf is by far the easiest to get a good mirror shine. I put it down to the smooth finish which allows for near perfect glacage. It's also softer and more supple.

These are calf and the shine is pretty good with a little effort 😉

Master
    I find that calf is by far the easiest to get a good mirror shine. I put it down to the smooth finish which allows for near perfect glacage. It's also softer and more supple.

These are calf and the shine is pretty good with a little effort 
    Hmm some thing like this? http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake/...ord/black-calf
    I bought one of these http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/barker...black-polished. Quite happy with them!

I the name of all that's Holy, I must be getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I the name of all that's Holy, I must be getting old!
    😉 They are fairly bold (actually darker and more subtle in reality than in photos). There is a custom patina on these. Originally they were tan in colour.

So, did they come with that burnishing or have you added the colour by using either dark tan or black shoe polish? You should consider getting the toe caps beeswaxed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

How to remove marks ?

I have a white mark on the toe of one of my shoes that I can't remove or cover up... It looks like a scratch about 3/4 of an inch long, but doesn't appear to have damaged the leather; it looks like it's on top of the leather.

Short of a black sharpie, does anyone have any suggestions to remove it ?
    I've tried a number of different polishes and creams and as soon as I wipe the shoe the mark reappears. Kiwi type polish, or liquid simply doesn't stick to the mark, and just wipes straight off.

Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Any ideas ?
    Photos? My first thought would be to use something alcohol-based to strip off all polish etc then leave it for a bit and try again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Photos? My first thought would be to use something alcohol-based to strip off all polish etc then leave it for a bit and try again.

I don't know how it's resisting anything I try and cover it with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Looks like paint or something similar that has been rubbed against. I'd look at using solvent and, if that didn't work, consider spooning it very carefully and then polish over the mark that will result.

Join the army and spend years learning how to do it properly :-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    +1 :-)

Craftsman

Eddie
    Indeed!
    Learnt the best methods to care for leather... Also useful for looking after my leather watch straps...!

Blog Entries

Eddie
    Yep, very true, that's where I learned to polish my shoes, and really well I must say.

R.M. Williams saddle dressing for "oily" leather, Obenauf and Saphir are on "ze" list as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Any ideas ?
    Strip the polish back and see if the colour is on the leather, if it is use some of this and then start polishing them back up. I use it to dye shoes and boots that have been left in shop windows far to long.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Strip the polish back and see if the colour is on the leather, if it is use some of this and then start polishing them back up. I use it to dye shoes and boots that have been left in shop windows far to long.
    Thats a bloody good tip and link, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
    Learnt the best methods to care for leather...
    I've also seen some horrors - boots with holes burnt in them by a hot spoon, sundry charred remains after a bout of enthusiasm involving a blow torch and large quantities of beeswax. I'm pleased to say that none of them were mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    So, did they come with that burnishing or have you added the colour by using either dark tan or black shoe polish? You should consider getting the toe caps beeswaxed.
    When I bought these shoes they were tan. But they have been through the patina transformation first dying the shoes an ixblood colour then burnishing the toes and stitched areas and heel using black dye.

If you are interested in the process you can read about it here (focuses on the patina rather than the polishing)

http://thelearnedgentleman.com/the-best-kept-shoe-secret-shoe-patina/

You can't achieve this result with polish alone. Proper colour is achieved with dye. The best polishes for shoes (like Saphir) have a low pigment content and I actually find that their natural coloured polish achieves the best shine.
    Last edited by triumph coupe; 15th November 2016 at 19:35.