closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Vintage Incoming...

Banned

New Vintage Incoming...

​I don’t post many incoming threads, obviously as I am a one watch man

To be honest, not many watches give me the urge to want to even wear them, never mind buy them, but when I saw this, I couldn’t resist.

It’s a little known LeGant Divers Yachting Chronographe, sold in the 60’s by American retail chain Montgomery Ward.

Swiss made, all stainless steel oversized (in those days) ‘Submarine’ divers case - 38mm excl crown with 19mm lugs.

It houses a Valjoux cal. 7733 manual winding Choronograph movement, featuring 5 and 10 minute regatta intervals (blue/red), freely rotating dive bezel and tachymetre.

I decided to hunt down an original big hole tropic strap and it suits the watch to a tee.

It’s smaller than most watches I wear, but on it’s own, it works really well, but another couple of millimetres would have made it absolutley perfect for me, but we can’t have it all.

I go to the Far East in a couple of weeks for a holiday and it was my intention to source a watch for that purpose and this has filled that gap. It’ll no doubt not be as waterproof as when it left the factory, but I will not hold back and see if it survives the test of the pool.

It has aged beautifully and has wear in all the right places, but the dial is a peach, with all the hands lining up perfectly. I think it has seen a polish and re-brush to the case sides, obviously to aide resale at some point, so I will look to rectify that at some stage, as I expect it started its life as all polished, but will research a little more.

In any case, it keeps reasonable time and I would out it firmly in the ‘cool’ category - a little like its new owner...

Very nice Steve, give me first dibs if there is post holiday blues. ;0)

A very cool looking vintage diver , watch and strap look great , very nice .

Its a lovely looking thing

Nice watch Steve. Please sort out that garden table though. A light rubdown and a bit of oil should do it, which I presume is what you'll also be getting while on holiday.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Stunning, I love these old diver chronos.

Enjoy your hols.

Looks good. Nice catch.

Cool indeed, I was wondering what you wanted the Tropic for, non of the others on your collection shot warranted one.
    Ive had a few of these type of 2 reg chronos over the years, couldn't really get used to the size though, like you say a few more mm would make all the difference. Very nice though.

Lovely watch Steve....but please do hold back on the pool test as it might not be nearly so lovely if it fails the test!

Lovely things these old "dive" chronos, this case was well used by Nivada, Dugena and also the Wittnauer Professional range, to name but a few.
    Waterproof, chronograph, bezel. Style, practicality and function. Does it all really.
    Good luck with the waterproofing test........
    Dave

That does look very nice.

Journeyman
    Beauty!

Master
    There's something really nice about that. Can't put my finger on it, but it just works.

Lovely, right up my street

Master
    Nice and seems a shame to risk it in a pool test when there's cheaper watches that would definitely pass. I appreciate you bought it for that purpose but still....

The hands on those subdials are rad. EAT THAT U1!!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Definitely cool. What is the WR level?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Probably about 100m but I would imagine it's moot now after 50 years. It only takes a couple of tiny corrosion pits to render any hopes of water resistance futile.

I wouldn't risk it anyway, the watch is too nice to ruin with water. At the very least I'd be getting a pressure test done.

Master
    Too nice now to take in the water, the old dog has done his work and now he just needs a gentle wearing on the wrist
    Get a cheaper GShock for the holidays. The issue is as well do you really want to be wearing that if it is left in a room safe or somewhere where there's risk of robbery. I'd be tempted to leave it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    200, I think.

Beautiful watch, and a great addition. Swim with it? Madness....

Banned
    Guys, if you knew me, you'd know not even I will be going in the pool, never mind the watch, so you can set aside your fears - the watch will not be drowned

I do prefer a watch with some WR - I accidentally submerged a watch once and since then, always pressure test, so at least I know. I will have this pressure tested shortly, but it will never be subjected to anything to push it beyond normal daily wear.

Thanks for all the comments.

Craftsman
    It's a great looking watch and as you've mentioned, aged beautifully. Enjoy it!