closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Smart and connected homes... What have you got?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just to update, I now have most of my lights running on Fibaro dimmer 2 modules set behind the switches, with two echo dots, one in the bedroom and one in the living room,

I have also just got a Harmony remote and hub, this is matched to alexa with the harmony skillz, so now I can control my TV/AV reciever/Fire TV/Smart HUB with Alexa,

also on a group command to 'turn everything off' very handy when going to bed,

I just need to set up location settings for the family now, and once this beds in a little bit and people get used to it, I will install Nest.

all in all a lot of fun so far, my best discovery so far was the Fibaro dimmer modules, they also act as Z-wave repeaters, a little video here.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Bit of a resurrect but I have added some hue lights to my house. Managed to get the e27 starter kit for £45 from Argos last month when they had 25% off. I've subsequently bought 2 more e27 bulbs and using adapters have them in my other room lights.

Love being able to control from my phone.

However, I always seem to get 'out of home connection' even when I'm sat where my router is? Any idea what this is? I've looked online a few mentions of it being due to using 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks but I've played around with no joy.

I can still control as its as though I'm away from home but because of this I can't get voice control (siri/dot) to work regularly.
    Another resurrection - but I'm still getting this out of home connection. However, I have noticed this afternoon when setting up a new bulb as soon as I go upstairs it connects. Go downstairs, out of home connection. The hue bridge is plugged in downstairs in the Living room. Even stood by the side of it, out of home connection. Walk to top of my stairs, connects to home with the green connection banner.

Any ideas?? Driving me a bit mad now!

Sorry for the thread resurrection but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I'm building a garden room - a posh shed (insulated, electricity, double glazing, etc). It's at the back of the garden - probably 30-40 metres from the house - and will be used by me when I work from home and by the kids as a den where they can hang out with friends.

I'm laying an internet cable (Cat 6A?) from the main house to the garden room and I want to make the garden room at least a little "smart". Basically, the ability to switch a couple of plugs on and off (for a plug in radiator) and the ability to switch the garden path lights on and off (and probably the lights on the outside of the garden room). The idea being that in the winter I can be in the main house having breakfast and switch on the radiator to warm up the garden room ready for when I start work, and switch on the garden path lights to light the way.

I also want some sort of security system as the garden room won't be included in the alarm system we have on the main house - perhaps just a motion sensor cam in one corner which can send footage of anyone breaking in.

But I'm baffled by the amount of choice in the market place - I don't know where to start. We're a pretty Apple-friendly household - iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, iMAcs - so something that is easily controllable from iOS would probably be a good bet.

Any tips would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    ^^^

A couple smart plugs will do what you need them to do... can be had for as little as £15 (get one that doesn't require a hub)

There are plenty of little security cameras... get any wifi based one on Amazon (lots to choose from)

I'd possibly aim to get a door window sensor combined with it

Aim to get them on the same platform to limit the number of Apps needed

Thanks - that's probably about right. Maybe a light switch as well as a plug socket?

Any brands I should be looking out for?

An IT whiz ex-colleague of mine has a hi-tech home. His door locks are all bluetooth - he's been locked out 4 times when his phone updates the bluetooth firmware during the day and the lock doesn't recognise it.

Also, his ceiling lights turn blue and flash when the ISS passes directly overhead. His curtains are on a light sensor, so close/open automatically when the ambient light reaches a defined level.

Many other daft things.

Anyone use a nest or similar with a district heating system?

Anything to worry about or should it work fine?

Also we have two thermostats, one upstairs and one down. I assume I'd need to have two smart thermostats installed as the two floors are essentially different zone?

Thanks

Looking forward to the Echo/Sonos integration. Should be available in the next couple of months.

Master
    We have asinus alarm systems, very effective, able to recognize friends from foes and take independent action. Independent from the power grid, too. Plus Felis Catus patrol drones with revolutionary night vision, specialized in extermination of invasive species. Also running on their own independent power sources. These also provide accurate weather data. We are still working on better communication protocols though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    An IT whiz ex-colleague of mine has a hi-tech home. His door locks are all bluetooth - he's been locked out 4 times when his phone updates the bluetooth firmware during the day and the lock doesn't recognise it.

Also, his ceiling lights turn blue and flash when the ISS passes directly overhead. His curtains are on a light sensor, so close/open automatically when the ambient light reaches a defined level.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQBxG7PNlRk#t=21m48s
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    Thanks - that's probably about right. Maybe a light switch as well as a plug socket?

Any brands I should be looking out for?
    No need for a switch or a socket if you can run your lamps off a smart plug…. If you have a main light in the office you could use a bulb simply and easily or a smart switch…. You can have sockets made smart too (look at Fibaro)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Looking forward to the Echo/Sonos integration. Should be available in the next couple of months.
    Yes should be good….! Makes apples new offering look a little redundant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Anyone use a nest or similar with a district heating system?

Anything to worry about or should it work fine?

Also we have two thermostats, one upstairs and one down. I assume I'd need to have two smart thermostats installed as the two floors are essentially different zone?

Thanks
    As long as it runs a thermomat it’ll work regardless of the heating system…. Look at Honeywell evo home for multi zone stuff

Wondering if it’s worth it at all, mrs has reminded me we only used the heating for an hour or two a day last winter.

The heating hasn’t been touched since the end of February.

I think I just want the technology

Blog Entries
    think I just want the technology
    As good a reason as any

Wondering if it’s worth it at all, mrs has reminded me we only used the heating for an hour or two a day last winter.

The heating hasn’t been touched since the end of February.

I think I just want the technology

I'm the same - there are two of us - the heating goes on for an hour before we get up on a timer and in the evening for an hour. I'm pretty tech-nerd but most of this stuff is a solution looking for a problem for my type of usage.

- - - Updated - - -

It works pretty well...

Blog Entries
    - - - Updated - - -
    It works pretty well...[/QUOTE]

On the Beta?

Sorry for the thread resurrection but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I'm building a garden room - a posh shed (insulated, electricity, double glazing, etc). It's at the back of the garden - probably 30-40 metres from the house - and will be used by me when I work from home and by the kids as a den where they can hang out with friends.

I'm laying an internet cable (Cat 6A?) from the main house to the garden room and I want to make the garden room at least a little "smart". Basically, the ability to switch a couple of plugs on and off (for a plug in radiator) and the ability to switch the garden path lights on and off (and probably the lights on the outside of the garden room). The idea being that in the winter I can be in the main house having breakfast and switch on the radiator to warm up the garden room ready for when I start work, and switch on the garden path lights to light the way.

I also want some sort of security system as the garden room won't be included in the alarm system we have on the main house - perhaps just a motion sensor cam in one corner which can send footage of anyone breaking in.

But I'm baffled by the amount of choice in the market place - I don't know where to start. We're a pretty Apple-friendly household - iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, iMAcs - so something that is easily controllable from iOS would probably be a good bet.

Any tips would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    6A is a bit overkill, 5e or 6 will do. Main thing is to make sure it's an exterior grade cable (usually a black LDPE jacket). Would also run more than 1!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post

Many other daft things.
    If he has kids they could flash red when santa passes over

What do people make of the Alexa plus?

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    6A is a bit overkill, 5e or 6 will do. Main thing is to make sure it's an exterior grade cable (usually a black LDPE jacket). Would also run more than 1!
    I know 6A will be a bit pointless at the moment, but the cable will be laid under a path so I don't want to be replacing it in 5-10 years when things have changed - feels like getting the most up to date stuff now will be more future-proofed, and the additional cost is pretty trivial in the context of the overall project. My only concern about 6A is that is (apparently) doesn't like tight bends but it will have to go up the side of the house for about 20cm before then going in through the wall. Would that be a problem? I wonder if my electrician might be more of a problem, though, as he doesn't seem teh most up to date on technology stuff.

Why run more than 1 cable? Is that in case of failure?

If going to the hassle of lifting slabs etc you may as well buy some ducting and run any cables in that, not forgettting a draw wire or two the full length for any future requirements. This is cost effective futureproofing.

With regards alarm, an interior motion activated camera is no deterrent and there is little pleasure in seeing a hooded scrote ransack your space, I’d be inclined to do it properly and have an alarm installed even if not on the same zone as your house.

Have your electrician install a time clock for your lighting requirements. If he can’t do that then he isn’t worth paying.

Blog Entries
    Arlo wireless cameras

I wonder if my electrician might be more of a problem, though, as he doesn't seem the most up to date on technology stuff.

Why run more than 1 cable? Is that in case of failure?
    The bane of my life (well, one of them) in the early 90s was electricians who thought they could do structured cabling. Reading between the lines how do you know he's going to be capable of testing the finished job to the required standards and that he has all of the correct equipment? One can't predict the future but I'd be pretty confident that all of the Cat 5e stuff that I specified 22 years ago would still be good enough for anything that you'd need to run on it today (at least at home). You always run more than one cable to allow more flexibility in the future and not just in case of failure - it's far more likely that you'll have a requirement for more bits of the same wire than you'll be doing something that will require a new bit of copper altogether.

Any recommendations on sources for cable? I'm a bit wary of Amazon - I'm sure there is good stuff on there but there is also plenty of tat. Maplin? Or how about something like this place?
    http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-ca...per-metre.html

Any recommendations on sources for cable? I'm a bit wary of Amazon - I'm sure there is good stuff on there but there is also plenty of tat. Maplin? Or how about something like this place?
    http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-ca...per-metre.html
    That'll do the job. Should really earth bond the armour if you bring it into the house

After looking at lots of different options for the controls, I think I've settled on LightwaveRF - smart plugs and smart light switches.

Anyone used that set up in practice?

Craftsman
    I have the switches, linked to an Echo. I went with LightwaveRF rather than Hue because I wanted to be free to choose any light fitting. I have the separate hub, but I see the new Echo Plus has a built in hub which would be better if it's compatible.

It works well, and I can set timers for when I'm away. It's really handy saying things like "Alexa, turn off the downstairs lights", or "Alexa, dim the bedroom light to 50%".

Master
    After looking at lots of different options for the controls, I think I've settled on LightwaveRF - smart plugs and smart light switches.

Anyone used that set up in practice?
    I’ve got LightwaveRF. I went for them because they replace the switch and not the bulb which seems the better option. The only issue is you have to find compatible dimmable LED bulbs. I actually gave up in the kitchen and reverted to a normal switch as I couldn’t get them to work with any of several sets of bulbs I tried. There’s a compatibility list somewhere but half the bulbs on it are no longer available and others don’t work. With non LEDs they work fine.

Thanks, both. I'm going to look at whether the Echo Dot will work as a hub.

Echo/Sonos integration released today...

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...lexa-and-sonos

Not had chance to play with it today, but will have a go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Arlo wireless cameras
    Are these any good? I was looking at them myself.

Just finishing a refurb and have kept it pretty minimal on the tech front...

Cat6 hardwired to the back of the telly, hi-fi and UFH
    4 zone on the GF (UFH) and 3 zones upstairs (rads) with Heatmiser app thermostats
    a couple of floorboxes in the middle of the room for lamps and USB charging,
    remote control kitchen track lighting,
    remote control blinds

Echo/Sonos integration released today...

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...lexa-and-sonos

Not had chance to play with it today, but will have a go tomorrow.
    Disappointed that Apple Music isn’t supported. Seems that Amazon Music is the only one of the big streaming companies that is supported. All the others are ‘radio’ channels.

I've had a bit of a splurge on the smart home front. I got an Echo Dot last week to control the Sonos Play:5 in my garden office. Yesterday I got a Hue bridge with 2 E27 white bulbs, 6 GU10 white ambience bulbs and a 2m Lightstrip Plus. I've got one of the E27 in an Anglepoise lamp on my desk, the strip attached to the back of the desk (which is 6 inches from the white wall behind) and the 6 spots in the light fittings in the office. I put the remaining E27 in a table lamp in the living room which we never bother to switch on. We will now. It's great to be able to turn the office lights off after locking up and also set scenes depending on what I'm doing. I can turn off the lights directly behind me in the webcam scene for example.

Today I had an email from Sonos with a 50% off code for a Dot. I've ordered one to go in the living room. I've also ordered 2 more GU10 bulbs for the outside lights on the office. I know they will have a shorter life outside but the convenience of having timed lights will make it worthwhile.

Finally I have a Play One pre-ordered to arrive next week. This will replace the Play:1 in the kitchen which I will move to the dining room.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I've had a bit of a splurge on the smart home front. I got an Echo Dot last week to control the Sonos Play:5 in my garden office. Yesterday I got a Hue bridge with 2 E27 white bulbs, 6 GU10 white ambience bulbs and a 2m Lightstrip Plus. I've got one of the E27 in an Anglepoise lamp on my desk, the strip attached to the back of the desk (which is 6 inches from the white wall behind) and the 6 spots in the light fittings in the office. I put the remaining E27 in a table lamp in the living room which we never bother to switch on. We will now. It's great to be able to turn the office lights off after locking up and also set scenes depending on what I'm doing. I can turn off the lights directly behind me in the webcam scene for example.

Today I had an email from Sonos with a 50% off code for a Dot. I've ordered one to go in the living room. I've also ordered 2 more GU10 bulbs for the outside lights on the office. I know they will have a shorter life outside but the convenience of having timed lights will make it worthwhile.

Finally I have a Play One pre-ordered to arrive next week. This will replace the Play:1 in the kitchen which I will move to the dining room.
    Have you got any motion sensors for your hue yet?

They works a treat with Homekit & Home app.

Mine switches the front door & kitchen light on when it's dark, also I get notifications to my iPhone when anyone is in their proximity.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 18th October 2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    People seem to be happy to let Amazon bug their homes so I imagine it's a logical progression to give them your front door key.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    People seem to be happy to let Amazon bug their homes so I imagine it's a logical progression to give them your front door key.
    Maybe they could as well go to the ATM, fetch some cash and leave it on the kitchen table for me?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    too right!

Just waiting for the big stink to happen when all this video and sound and other personal data that amazon are collecting get's used in ways the end users probably never considered and are none to keen on.

Master
    I’ve just bought a Samsung SmartThings hub to have a play. Also bought some Aqara window/door sensors (£6 each) and a couple of presence sensors (£10 each). So far everything has been 100% reliable and I get a text every time a courier delivers a parcel to our outside cupboard. If the alarm ever goes off it will be useful to see if a door has been opened as touch wood the couple of times it has gone off it has been a false alarm.
    Even my wife likes the presence sensor turning on the Hue lamp so I may be getting some more!

I’ve given up with my Alexas and sold both. Got fed up of them randomly speaking.

Also, I’m retraining in Data Privacy and am becoming more and more concerned at the amount of info we give away. As someone who’s been in IT for over 20yrs and always wanting the next best gadget, I’m seriously thinking about removing all smart items I have. Saying that I do love my hue!

Black Friday deals set led me to getting;

Echo plus
    3x echo dots
    Philips hue lights
    Nest
    Logitech harmony elite
    Samsung hs650 soundbar

So far so good, loving the zonal settings enabling Tv, sound bar, sky, and lights all to switch on with a single command.

The one I struggle with is nest, although it’s ealry days, the self learning feature seems to randomly extend or increase the schedule I set up. Hopefully this will smooth out over time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I’ve given up with my Alexas and sold both. Got fed up of them randomly speaking.

Also, I’m retraining in Data Privacy and am becoming more and more concerned at the amount of info we give away. As someone who’s been in IT for over 20yrs and always wanting the next best gadget, I’m seriously thinking about removing all smart items I have. Saying that I do love my hue!

tbh I'm amazed at how people will give carte blanch allowing companies to eavesdrop on what they doing and saying in their homes or even when out and about with their phones allowing tracking and listening.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Black Friday deals set led me to getting;

Echo plus
    3x echo dots
    Philips hue lights
    Nest
    Logitech harmony elite
    Samsung hs650 soundbar

So far so good, loving the zonal settings enabling Tv, sound bar, sky, and lights all to switch on with a single command.

The one I struggle with is nest, although it’s ealry days, the self learning feature seems to randomly extend or increase the schedule I set up. Hopefully this will smooth out over time.
    I hope the Home/Away assist works better (or just works) for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Bad experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Bad experience?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Bad experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Bad experience?
    It works intermittently, loads of people have problems with it. Last time I looked Google had taken their Nest forum offline.

It works intermittently, loads of people have problems with it. Last time I looked Google had taken their Nest forum offline.
    Interesting, I will have a search latter. I thought the away function was quite simple, turn off when I’m not there! It’s also one of the main reason I got it. Do you know if it’s all nest devices or just a certain gen?

Master
    Installed tado smart thermostat and a load of smart radiator trvs around the house about 6 weeks ago. It's been blood marvellous, doddle to set it all up and I've hardly had to touch it since fitting. Obviously I have messed with it because I'm a man and I have to mess with these things lol. Seriously though anyone thinking of a smart heating system give it a look it's effectively zoned the whole house bedrooms are cooler when we go to bed etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the trv and zoning route, but bulked at the idea given the cost of getting multiple trv at c£50 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Installed tado smart thermostat and a load of smart radiator trvs around the house about 6 weeks ago. It's been blood marvellous, doddle to set it all up and I've hardly had to touch it since fitting. Obviously I have messed with it because I'm a man and I have to mess with these things lol. Seriously though anyone thinking of a smart heating system give it a look it's effectively zoned the whole house bedrooms are cooler when we go to bed etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My house is a new build do wired for cat 6 to all rooms back to a comms cabinet in the utility where the sky, atv etc are,

they feed a 4*4 hdanywhere 4k hdmi matrix sending the signal to any room i want via cat 6, controlled by harmony remotes in the various rooms.

also have some wifi plugs, amazon echo and a ring pro doorbell