closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new Rolex Sub C 114060

My new Rolex Sub C 114060

After about 2 months wait for it to arrive, I picked this up from the Rolex dealer in Auckland about 3 weeks ago. I inherited an Airking from my grandfather a few years ago, and didn't see myself ever wanting a new Rolex. I guess browsing here over time got me more interested in a Submariner and in the end I decided that if I was still interested I would get one for a significant birthday two years hence. Well, the two years passed by and I have taken the plunge...

Very happy with it. Yes, I do like, maybe prefer, the shape of the older 14060, but I think it would have been tricky for me as a novice to get a good one over here. Also, it is good to be confident that there should be no issues with it for a few years. Selling in the future will not be an issue, it will age with me.

One question: I have worn it 24/7 over the last three weeks, and I'm sure it will become my main daily wearer now. Is there any benefit in letting an automatic watch run down and sit from time to time? I'm sure that for many non-collectors, such a watch will be worn daily almost all the time.

Lovely watch- iconic- and bombproof-it will last forever.......

Keep it on your wrist-I don't see an benefit to the movement in letting it run down-
    The chances are you'll be 6ft under the ground before the movement is worn out!

Craftsman
    Loverly watch,enjoy it

Tony

Master
    Love the no date. So much cooler than the sub date!! Congrats!!

Makes me miss my 14060 no date! It's lovely. Wear it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Love the no date. So much cooler than the sub date!! Congrats!!
    Absolutely, lovely looking watch.

Hadn't seen / noticed an Air King with all twelve numerals before - so thank you for posting that! I've no idea if it's unusual or if I haven't been observant up to now...

Craftsman
    That's a stunning watch, enjoy it!

Master
    Very popular as no stock anywhere!

Both lovely watches.

Gorgeous, well done on your purchase. I have to admit, I do prefer it with the date however the no date looks great on your wrist!

Superb choice. Makes me want to buy one

Grand Master
    Glad to hear you're happy with your choice, and buying new is a nice experience.

As for allowing the watch to run down, I really can`t see it making any difference. However, I`m convinced that a watch worn only sparingly (say 2-3 months/year) doesn`t need servicing as frequently. Conventional repair wisdom states otherwise, but I speak as I find. I`ve had watches with ETA 2892 movements sent to me for service after 7-8 years and they've been running badly, definitely in need of service. Contrast that with my own Speedy reduced (ETA 2892-based movement with chrono module), acquired new by me in 2004, worn sparingly over the years, which is still running perfectly with good amplitude and timekeeping. I can`t see any evidence that it requires servicing but I`ll give it a once-over when I get the time. I think modern synthetic lubricants help; if the watch isn`t running the lubricant films don`t seem to deteriorate but if the watch is running they do. In the past, mineral-based lubricants tended to age and become sticky, even if the watch wasn`t used.

My advice with this one is to wear it as you please. If the timekeeping deteriorates significantly after 6-7 years of regular use it's worth having it checked on a timegrapher. That'll show whether the amplitude's fallen, that's the best indicator of the need to service a watch. Personally I wouldn`t leave it longer than 9-10 years if it's worn fairly frequently.

The Air King will feel small by comparison! I have several 34mm watches which I really like, but swapping from 34mm to 40mm does feel strange at first.

Paul

Paul

Blog Entries
    I've just bought a Subc date off a great member here but having owned a NDc I,m seriously thinking of flipping it for another ND, I just love the purity of the dial rather than the cyclops at 3

This post just re-enforced my thoughts

Craftsman
    Both great watches but love the Air King. Enjoy as watches are for wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always love the look of this watch, an absolute classic.
    However, it's super clean and smart look is greatly helped by No Date, which would drive me bonkers

Master
    Great watch, congrats :-)

Great advice (as usual) from Paul in post #13

Craftsman
    Looks a cracker, congrats on your purchase

Banned
    Congratulations, an unbeatable watch. Enjoy.

A classy piece. The ND sub has such perfect proportions. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Very popular as no stock anywhere!
    Just seen one in my AD five minutes ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Glad to hear you're happy with your choice, and buying new is a nice experience.

As for allowing the watch to run down, I really can`t see it making any difference. However, I`m convinced that a watch worn only sparingly (say 2-3 months/year) doesn`t need servicing as frequently. Conventional repair wisdom states otherwise, but I speak as I find. I`ve had watches with ETA 2892 movements sent to me for service after 7-8 years and they've been running badly, definitely in need of service. Contrast that with my own Speedy reduced (ETA 2892-based movement with chrono module), acquired new by me in 2004, worn sparingly over the years, which is still running perfectly with good amplitude and timekeeping. I can`t see any evidence that it requires servicing but I`ll give it a once-over when I get the time. I think modern synthetic lubricants help; if the watch isn`t running the lubricant films don`t seem to deteriorate but if the watch is running they do. In the past, mineral-based lubricants tended to age and become sticky, even if the watch wasn`t used.

My advice with this one is to wear it as you please. If the timekeeping deteriorates significantly after 6-7 years of regular use it's worth having it checked on a timegrapher. That'll show whether the amplitude's fallen, that's the best indicator of the need to service a watch. Personally I wouldn`t leave it longer than 9-10 years if it's worn fairly frequently.

The Air King will feel small by comparison! I have several 34mm watches which I really like, but swapping from 34mm to 40mm does feel strange at first.

Paul

Paul
    Interesting Paul,
    What would be your take on the Coaxial movement, as I understand it uses less lubrication than other movements. Should Omega extend their service periods for it? Obviously they won't but for example my 8500 runs for maybe 120 hours a month, over five years that's only 300 days. I guess other things can go wrong but if the time keeping is good is there any need to have it serviced?

Congrats to the OP for a nice piece by the way.

Journeyman
    *drooling* tbh

Craftsman
    Amazing watch and great choice. This is definitely my favorite modern Rolex.

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed due to the non date and no cyclops. Only my big wrist and the relatively small 40 mm of the Sub C hold me back (not to mention lack of funds).

Master
    Snap,

Picked this today.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Also, it is good to be confident that there should be no issues with it for a few years. Selling in the future will not be an issue, it will age with me.
    Well played Sir. It just sounds that this is not end...it is just beginning. Let's see how many watches you own after 2 years or so....
    Lovely piece. Wish to have one as well....

-OD

I gave mine a run out today too...

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I gave mine a run out today too...

No plans to flip it yet then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No plans to flip it yet then?
    Why on earth would I do that???

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Well played Sir. It just sounds that this is not end...it is just beginning. Let's see how many watches you own after 2 years or so....
    Lovely piece. Wish to have one as well....

-OD
    Thanks for all the complimentary comments.

I guess I am seeing this one as an end to collecting. A watch that I will wear and enjoy, and hopefully not feel too precious about - especially once I have owned and worn it for 6 months or so. For me it wouldn't feel right to have spent this much on a watch and have it in a drawer much of the time. It's probably safer on the wrist than off too - no risk of dropping it, getting it burgled, leaving it somewhere etc. My collection is mainly vintage Soviet mechanicals (which first got me into watches) and a few vintage Seiko's, which I'll be keeping for interest, but probably not wearing much anymore. I also have a Casio 5600, a PRS 10 and a Citizen PDM Ray Mears type which I'll keep for situations when I would be chancing it wearing an expensive Rolex.

I've been told on here before that the Air King dial is unusual - I'll put up a few more pics in another post.