closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Has Tudor failed (again) in the UK?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    How patient are Rolex likely to be? Will they give them establishing time or decide sooner to 'cut their losses'? The product is there IMO. It just comes down to promotion and consumer confidence. Rolex co. know how to promote. How much are they willing to invest in Tudor's promotion? Consumer confidence and brand awareness does not come overnight. With the strong product line I suspect and hope they'll play the long game.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    I don't think they are anywhere near as good as many of the other brands at this simply because they don't have to be. Head of marketing at Rolex must be the easiest job in the world. Their products create their own buzz and they have a brand awareness and reputation amongst the public that parallels the likes of Coca Cola, Levis, Ferrari etc. They can't treat Tudor in anything like the same way and no way can they put the same pressure on ADs unless they threaten it's all (both brands) or nothing.

Master
    Well, they've (Rolex) used sponsorship very effectively; as have Tag, Omega and Oris.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stefmcd; 15th September 2016 at 15:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jobseeker View Post
    They should put 'Rolex' in small letters under the Tudor name or at the base of the dial and in big letters on the case back.
    That might actually work!
    The 79260 chronograph was a transitional model which originally came with Rolex signed caseback and crown and it was later produced with all around Tudor branding.
    It is the exact same watch in any other way but the Rolex signed ones are being sold at far better prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Personally I prefer the Tudor model choice over Rolex,I like the watches a lot.

Maybe it just needs a good marketing stratagey, the French one at wheels and waves was classy and superb.
    There's no doubt that the current Tudor range has it in spades over the current Rolex one for design, originality and innovation. They just haven't got the marketing right yet in attracting people who value design, originality and innovation. Sinn in Germany reach these people who would otherwise buy a Tag or an Omega, Tudor haven't figured out yet how to sell their undoubtedly cool wares int he UK.

Rolex brand and marketing by contrast is well established they know know exactly the not too adventurous types they sell to - why these people make the purchase - and are masters at relieving them of their money.

To be honest, barring the Milgauss, I cant think of a single Rolex I could be bothered with. I can think of three or four Tudors though I'd snap up. That's regardless of price. The range is top notch. It will just take time.

Journeyman
    Red Bull gives you WINGS... Torro Rosso doesn't even give you a Casio Edifice... Unfortunately Tudor needs to decide which market it aspires to attract and pursue it with fewer models in a strategic manner. At present they are falling between three stools most notably tag breitling and omega. If only they could persuade DC to have one last throw of the dice in a Tudor and I'm not talking about the former Red Bull racer.

Tudor doesn't need to change anything.
    It needs to hang in there and keep up coming out with good models.
    It will find its place.
    It doesn't have to become a success overnite

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It will find its place.
    I agree with that part.

The Black bays and Pelagos are selling well (the sports models) but the ladies arent doing so well, difficult market to break into ( in the £1-2k people buy a Tag aqua racer and in the 2-3k bracket its a omega constellation(Omegas best selling watch!) or Carter for the women)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    the world is classed, you have people on hand outs, min wage earners, middle class, upper class, super rich.

you don't get people on min wage buying a Rolex or a £200k car.

hence I asked if said Rolex owners shop at Primark, I doubt many do !!

EVERY thing YOU buy is aimed at the price bracket you can afford and has a target market in that bracket !! no point aiming a £250k car at a £16kPA earner

YOU yes YOU will fit into a tier earning group like it or not, what do you think market men/women do all day trying to sell goods to Every level of earner !
    Yes I fit into a tier earnings group (created by marketers) but I'm not a sheep and I'm not going to buy certain brands just to try demonstrate to others that I earn a certain amount.

I'll buy what ever brands I want, whether it's a value brand for an item I care less about or a premium brand for something I really like (such as a watch). Yes of course I also have to take into account what I can afford but that doesn't mean I always have to buy brands from a certain 'tier' that is supposedly aimed at my earnings.

Rolex sell more watches to people on higher incomes than lower or middle incomes but there's still a lot of people with high earnings that wear cheap watches. A rich person who doesn't own an expensive watch is still rich.

There's nothing wrong with buying expensive brands, however, when the intension is obviously just to try to impress people and sneer at those who buy "lesser" brands, it will actually have the opposite effect. The vast majority of people won't be impressed, they'll just think you're a (insert relevant expletive here).
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 15th September 2016 at 16:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    The Black bays and Pelagos are selling well (the sports models) but the ladies arent doing so well, difficult market to break into ( in the £1-2k people buy a Tag aqua racer and in the 2-3k bracket its a omega constellation(Omegas best selling watch!) or Carter for the women)
    Perhaps Tudor's bold and cartoony style doesn't work that well with women's watches. Though they could have a unisex hit with the BB36.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Yes I fit into a tier earning group (created by marketers) but I'm not a sheep and I'm not going to buy certain brands just to try demonstrate to others that I earn a certain amount.

I'll buy what ever brands I want, whether it's a value brand for an item I care less about or a premium brand for something I really like (such as a watch). Yes of course I also have to take into account what I can afford but that doesn't mean I always have to buy brands from a certain 'tier' that is supposedly aimed at my earnings.

Rolex sell more watches to people on higher incomes than lower or middle incomes but there's still a lot of people with high earnings that wear cheap watches. A rich person who doesn't own an expensive watch is still rich.

There's nothing wrong with buying expensive brands, however, when the intension is obviously just to try impress people whilst sneering at those who buy "lesser" brands it will actually have the opposite effect. The vast majority of people won't be impressed, they'll just think you're a (insert relevant expletive here).
    Agreed - I could probably trade in my whole collection for one PP, but I'd much rather have a choice of watches that aren't too OTT and sometimes a nice quartz or an attractive vintage piece does the job. Then again, maybe PP are targeting someone who can afford to have a collection that includes a few watches on that level.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 15th September 2016 at 14:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    What about "Wancher"?

You win with that one

Master
    Nice designed watches, very good build quality, good value (compared to their co-owner that is) and a modern excellent in-house movement.

They'll do well eventually, but it will take a while, most UK high streets or shopping centres as they are now are filled with Omega, Breitling, Tag and the rest

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Head of marketing at Rolex must be the easiest job in the world.
    I totally disagree.

Building and maintaining a brand which has world-wide recognition, and where all your competitors are trying very hard to take that position away from you, is never easy - especially when there's nothing inherently different about the product that you sell.

Hans Wilsdorf was primarily an extremely good marketeer, and I have a lot of sympathy with the view that Rolex are a Marketing company who sell watches, rather than a watch company who do good marketing!

Journeyman
    When Tudor basically used to be Rolex:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Maybe if Tudor was sold at other shops rather than alongside Rolex, Goldsmiths and the like could push them as a stand alone brand.
    They are, you muppet.

My local Rolex AD does not sell Tudor in his main shop - only at the airport , where he doesn't sell Rolex.

Last time I went through the airport their stock was very poor - I asked why - simple they had sold loads !

Maybe this is just to US customers not UK. Is there any sign how well Tudor is doing in the US market as I believe they have s 1-2 yr head start on the UK

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    My local Rolex AD does not sell Tudor in his main shop - only at the airport , where he doesn't sell Rolex.

Last time I went through the airport their stock was very poor - I asked why - simple they had sold loads !

Maybe this is just to US customers not UK. Is there any sign how well Tudor is doing in the US market as I believe they have s 1-2 yr head start on the UK

Just look at all the blogs who/that praise and gush over how cooooool Tudor is and what they are becoming, or rather what they are not. I am pretty sure they will sell. I am so sure that I'll go buy.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    There's no doubt that the current Tudor range has it in spades over the current Rolex one for design, originality and innovation.
    Then allow me to disagree, thus introducing doubt.

The current rolex range has designs so original that they are iconic. As for innovation, rolex would be crazy to change their designs too drastically- it just wouldn't make good business sense, given their target market.
    Don't get me wrong though, tudor make some good stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Then allow me to disagree, thus introducing doubt.

The current rolex range has designs so original that they are iconic. As for innovation, rolex would be crazy to change their designs too drastically- it just wouldn't make good business sense, given their target market.
    Don't get me wrong though, tudor make some good stuff
    I'm afraid one man's Icon is another's Hmm Bit Naff Dont' You Think.

I totally agree it would be commercial suicide for Rolex to, for example, end production of the many watches based on the Submariner (not that they ever will) - but it doesn't make buying any of the watches from the Sub family an imaginiative choice. I'd have a Milgauss though!

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    I'm afraid one man's Icon is another's Hmm Bit Naff Dont' You Think.
    Regardless of your, my or anyones opinion (and that's all your post is) on the appearance of rolex watches, an icon is an icon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RufusRolex View Post
    They are, you muppet.
    Too much red bull at 02:00am in the morning? I'm sure the guy doesn't appreciate being called that. In fact have you ever actually posted anything that is pleasant?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Too much red bull at 02:00am in the morning? I'm sure the guy doesn't appreciate being called that. In fact have you ever actually posted anything that is pleasant?
    No he hasn't, as per a few other trolls on here he is just a waste of bandwidth .

mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Tudor doesn't need to change anything.
    It needs to hang in there and keep up coming out with good models.
    It will find its place.
    It doesn't have to become a success overnite
    I get the impression that this is Rolex's view. The only difficulty might be that ADs just don't feel they can wait that long.

Just been gawping at a display of Tudors. The Glamour or Style models or whatever they are called really are very underwhelming. I suppose once in your mitts the quality must be there but through a window they may as well be Sekonda. Thanks to the Madness adverts of my youth, I'm fond of Sekonda, but still.....

Master
    No price rise signals sales may still be a bit flat. I think on the forums and with WIS, Tudors are doing very well but still not well known to Joe Public who will look to the shiny familiarity of Rolex, Omega and Tag instead.

Craftsman
    I would love a Blacbay more so than a sub.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    No price rise signals sales may still be a bit flat. I think on the forums and with WIS, Tudors are doing very well but still not well known to Joe Public who will look to the shiny familiarity of Rolex, Omega and Tag instead.
    If I wasn't where I was on the watch journey and I had £2k I'd buy a TAG. In fact sometimes I wonder whether knowledge can actually blind me a bit. So like you say it'll be a long haul. Dare they have gone with Rolex Tudor as a Marketing pitch

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Smile

I love the quality of the pelagos & black bay and its quality that counts,im sure it will shine through and will pick up on the sales front, a few well placed ad's and product placements will soon sort it out.

Incidentally the shop - Goldsmiths on Victoria Street - had both old and new of Black Bay Blue and Pelagos Black - if anyone wanted to see how much the new movement sticks out the back....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just been gawping at a display of Tudors. The Glamour or Style models or whatever they are called really are very underwhelming. I suppose once in your mitts the quality must be there but through a window they may as well be Sekonda. Thanks to the Madness adverts of my youth, I'm fond of Sekonda, but still.....
    I know just what you mean, the whole display together just looks a little... Argos. No doubt there are some great ones, and it's partly the influence of the many models no one here would look twice at, but it's also the designers trying a bit too hard to make sure they never steal a sale from their more lucrative label. It's certainly working... Then again, a window with the whole Rolex range can look a bit like an overdecorated Christmas tree without the tree, so maybe it runs in the family.

This shop had very few of the Elizabeth Duke models, and lots of the BB, Pelagoi, Ranger, Heritage Chrono. Which is rather like the selection presented on the English language version of their website.

Btw, did that rumour about how Tudor will be servicing / mending their in house movements get pinned down? Something about entire movement swaps.... Not sure it was sourced to anything more substantial that something some AD had said when I heard about it....

Did you see the Advisor
    Der Amf ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Did you see the Advisor
    Der Amf ?
    If it was there, it didn't catch my eye....I've seen it before and found it a bit ....functional? I think the new colour that you posted a stillborn thread about might be a step up. Surely that would have caught my eye? Sorry, it was bloody freezing by that shop this afternoon and I went in search of a cuppa fairly quickly.

Journeyman
    I really like the Black Bay, Pelagos and the chronographs models and they are fine watches, however I think the dress models are a bit lame and don't do the sporty models any favours in a window display. If a display was purely the sports models I think it would get more attention.

I remember the relaunch a couple of years ago. All the lifestyle mens mags and Sunday supplements carried huge foldouts with the entire Tudor range. Since then it's gone quiet.

As other posters have commented perhaps Rolex could divert some of it's marketing spend..why not do a year of F1 or alternate with Rolex for each GP

For watch afficionados it's easy to see the Tudor range as great value (in essence a cut price Rolex) whereas for a lot of the general public watch buying at £2-3k is an aspirational purchase and will be made on the basis of recognisable brands

I bought by black bay red just over two years and love it still

Craftsman
    I would buy most of the Tudor watches they offer at the moment. If they would be just a bit smaller..

Banned
    I think I've only ever seen a Tudor advertisement once and that was in a magazine. Maybe they need to go a bit more high profile, The Tudor Premier League has a bit of a ring to it 😜

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    You may have hit on the only watch brand name that's less appealing than Tudor... apart from Christopher Ward, of course...

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Zeitwinkel, anyone?
    I'll raise you with Wancher http://www.wancher.com/watches/collections/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    I think I've only ever seen a Tudor advertisement once and that was in a magazine.
    Here in Switzerland there seems to be either a Pelagos or a Black Bay on every second billboard, i.e., the ones not showing iPhone ads.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    the world is classed, you have people on hand outs, min wage earners, middle class, upper class, super rich.
    Class and income aren't the same thing. Your income may increase, but class mobility is a myth. Sorry.

I actually saw my first one in the wild last week, young chap in Debenhams was wearing a black Pelagos. The local Ernest Jones hasn't had a blue or black Pelagos in stock for at least two months now, but they seem to be the only ones that I see out of stock in the window displays (read into that what you will) although the Chichester AD seems to have a full complement of everything.

I still don't know the answer to this post:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4084889

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Class and income aren't the same thing. Your income may increase, but class mobility is a myth. Sorry.
    Amen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Only for your generation but not for your kids, if they go to Public School then they have a sporting chance of playing the game and embroiling themselves in the Season and marrying into the old family Firms.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I still don't know the answer to this post:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4084889
    google it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    wrong answer - it was a word that *sounds* like tudor.

Apprentice

Time to revive an older thread

Good morning,

The answer seems to be yes, I have a Black Shield and was disappointed to see my local Fraser Heart reduce them from £3540 to £2840, that's a £700 reduction or a £400 from the £3270 price when they were first released.

As Beaverbrooks are also advertising this reduced price it seems likely to be a Tudor sanctioned price reduction, even if Fraser Hart still have £3740 on their web site.

I understood it when the Black Bay with the ETA movements were offered at a discount to the in-house movement ones when sitting next to each other in the same shop window.

Discounting a current model though, not that this come as too much of a surprise; Lady Gaga, David Beckham what were Tudor thinking?

I quite like the North Flag but not if it tomorrow it is going to be discounted by £500 or so, I would rather wait and get a basic Oyster Perpetual 39 with the Dark Rhodium Dial.

Bye

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanSmithISA View Post
    Discounting a current model though, not that this come as too much of a surprise; Lady Gaga, David Beckham what were Tudor thinking?
    I suspect Tudor are thinking Gaga, Beckham et al have had exactly the desired effect in increasing brand awareness worldwide, and that it's time to put the final remaining Black Shields out of their misery - good watches they may be, but from the amount forlornly hanging around in ADs I think they're a bit 'marmite' to many buyers and will likely be discontinued, as one of their least-popular sellers.

In short, it's a Black Shield thing, not a Tudor thing.
    Last edited by Stringer; 25th April 2018 at 09:07. Reason: Punctuation

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    In short, it's a Black Shield thing, not a Tudor thing.
    In short, this discussion is a post-count thing as it emerges from the depths of 2016.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by IanSmithISA View Post
    Good morning,

The answer seems to be yes, I have a Black Shield and was disappointed to see my local Fraser Heart reduce them from £3540 to £2840, that's a £700 reduction or a £400 from the £3270 price when they were first released.

As Beaverbrooks are also advertising this reduced price it seems likely to be a Tudor sanctioned price reduction, even if Fraser Hart still have £3740 on their web site.

I understood it when the Black Bay with the ETA movements were offered at a discount to the in-house movement ones when sitting next to each other in the same shop window.

I quite like the North Flag but not if it tomorrow it is going to be discounted by £500 or so, I would rather wait and get a basic Oyster Perpetual 39 with the Dark Rhodium Dial.

Bye

Ian

Yes, you would have been better with the OP - however, most brands are in annual sales, or even twice yearly sales, all over the UK, including Omega. They are not Rolex or Patek. You would expect to see slow moving models in sales - that’s life. The AD’s usually discount watches that have been in stock for between 18-24 months, it’s just good stock control, and in general they will still be making a (albeit small) profit on the sale watches. No point having expensive stock in the window that isn’t selling. Also, all brands have slow moving models!
    It's just a matter of time...