timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Odd items up for auction in Dublin auction house

Journeyman

Odd items up for auction in Dublin auction house

Master
    That last "Gent's Watch" is a beauty. I think I'll register a bid... 😂

Master
    No.1 You never really own a Patek Philippe (and you certainly won't with that POS)
    No.2 loving the 'quality' finish of the case and dial
    No.3 is a stunner, a real keeper to be pasted down the generations

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    No.3 is a stunner, a real keeper to be pasted down the generations
    I love the way the small chrono hands are off centre, really makes it into a one off piece!

They obviously realise they are fake by the low estimates and vague descriptions, doesn't seem to bother them though seems to happen regularly. I've never heard of an auction house getting prosecuted for selling fake goods. Does it happen or do they hide behind the fact they are only acting as an agent for the seller?

Craftsman
    I've seen this before & can't understand the logic. As someone who works in (clothing) retail said to me once, a whole rail is tarnished by one poor quality item.
    What are potential bidders of this lot going to think when they see the others above?
    http://www.jwa.ie/en/item/29539.html
    (maybe the decimal is in the wrong place...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I love the way the small chrono hands are off centre, really makes it into a one off piece!
    That's the money maker such a rare piece, probably a prototype dial

Journeyman
    I am quite intrigued by that there fabulous Patek. Exquisite, sir!

Master
    That "Patek" is hilarious. A gift for the next generation indeed.

Journeyman
    This was annoying me a little, so I emailed the auction house saying that when i was browsing the catalogue i noticed that a few of the watches appeared to be counterfeit, and if it was normal practice to offer counterfeit goods for sale.
    I got a reply saturday morning thanking me for looking at the catalogue, giving me the details of the viewing times and the auction start time, and that they are described as they are!

Thank you for the email, glad that you were were looking at the catalogue, there are a number of watches in this auction and we have described them as there are.

Viewing is today until 5pm , tomorrow Sunday 12pm to 5pm , Monday 11am to 5pm and Tuesday morning 10:30am to 12:30pm and the auction will start at 2pm on Tuesday.

Many thanks
    John

Living in Dublin and having been to a couple of the more reputable auction houses (NEVER got a bargain) I'm surprised to see this! Even more surprised with their response when called out on it! Might pass the link on to revenue commissioners. Think they might be interested in what else they are up to if this is their attitude.

Booked my Ryan Air flight - on the way to Dublin now to make a pre-auction offer for the lot!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Booked my Ryan Air flight - on the way to Dublin now to make a pre-auction offer for the lot!
    Haha. I still can't believe they have these listed.

Craftsman
    Just shows how desperate they must be to earn a commission .
    Pretty pathetic really

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post

They obviously realise they are fake by the low estimates and vague descriptions, doesn't seem to bother them though seems to happen regularly. I've never heard of an auction house getting prosecuted for selling fake goods. Does it happen or do they hide behind the fact they are only acting as an agent for the seller?
    Depends who's doing the prosecuting, generally auction houses only argue with small fish. When they foolishly try to "mix it" with the big boys, they end up with egg on their face. So, if you have lots of money, the auction house will normally concede, if you are an average punter, they will fight you every step of the way, hoping that you run out of money. So that's why you never hear of it, it's a very occurance.
    http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/ac...nes-case-8469/

Banned
    The guide price shows they are well aware they are fakes.

Craftsman
    Fake watches , illegal to sell . Why would they bother . It just tarnishes their business .
    Plain stupid in my opinion