closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Virgin again.

Virgin again.

I've just recieved the letter telling me that Richard is sticking £3:50 on the price of my monthly from the 1st of November. If I remember correctly it went up by over £4:00 last year.
    I know in the grand scheme of things it's a small amount of money considering what we blow on watches but I can't help thinking that my pants are being pulled down.
    I have 3 boxes in total, 2 HD boxes upstairs for the kids and 1 TiVo box downstairs, XL tv package with sky sports, unlimited phone calls and some stupidly fast broadband. I'm paying around about £125 per month which will soon go up to nearly £130. It kind of annoys me they keep on increasing the speed of my broadband and I don't really need it.

This evening I phoned up and spoke to a customer service chap who, in trying to lower the price of my package, actually managed to annoy me by instead of reducing my costs he actually increased them by giving me HD sports instead of normal sports package. After about 20 minutes he advised he couldn't do anything else and he put me through to some retentions team who could apply greater savings to the account.
    Within about 5 minutes he reduced my outgoings to £88 this month which will go up to £91 in November.
    So a total saving of £34 a months or over £400 a year. They had by all accounts been swamped with similar calls regarding the yearly increase and so they have pushed these savings through to all those who phone up.

So if you're out of contract, fed up of being spanked, give them a ring and advise you've had enough of the price increase and you want them to look in to a cheaper monthly payment.

Happy savings.

Master
    I can understand your frustration; I'm actually going to sky as a result (because even with what Virgin could offer, I managed to get the top Sky Q packed and fibre for £10 less). But, point of fact, it's not Richard anymore, it's now Liberty Media. Virgin Media was flogged off a couple of years ago. And, this sort of price gouging is typical of private equity ownership; it's their business model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    I can understand your frustration; I'm actually going to sky as a result (because even with what Virgin could offer, I managed to get the top Sky Q packed and fibre for £10 less). But, point of fact, it's not Richard anymore, it's now Liberty Media. Virgin Media was flogged off a couple of years ago. And, this sort of price gouging is typical of private equity ownership; it's their business model.
    Didn't they just buy a lump of the F1?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Didn't they just buy a lump of the F1?
    Yes, Liberty Global is the telecom business, and they now own around 50% of all the fixed and mobile capacity in Europe.

Who is going to pay Bernie Eccleston's annual salary - Virgin Media customers !

It's quite expensive op, not sure if I want to know any details, or can give you any advice
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

"Virgin again"

Wish I was...

Craftsman
    I ended up leaving them recently for this, last year the bills went up with a letter saying so, no explanation or anything just 'Its going up, deal with it' then earlier this year my bills went up AGAIN without a letter this time so it went under the radar for a bit, only noticed last month, they did offer a reduction when I rang which I rang back to accept, when I did this call centre person couldnt find what the last bloke offered and couldnt match it 'not a problem I will go elsewhere thank you'.
    After then being passed from pillar to post by call centre staff failing to provide a decent offer I happily switched to Sky with *slightly* slower internet at 40mb down from 50mb and extra Sky channels for much less £.

A few weeks after switching to Sky, Virgin rang me and offered to honour the original price that they originally swore they couldn't ffs, did they really think I was going to reverse everything I had set up at this point?! The whole thing annoyed me and I felt messed about so told them to bugger off!
    Last edited by trainspanner; 9th September 2016 at 07:47.

Master
    I went from normal Sky to Sky Q and saved £30 a month with a a additional 4 mini boxes

I too had the letter from Virgin, they also put up prices at the start of the year, so 2 price increases in the year for me. I too rang up and spoke to retentions who straight way gave me a £3 discount for 6 months to counter the increase. The lady said to call up again when the discount goes to see what they can offer, I think it's all about the people who don't or can't be bothered to call up to query the increase, it's from them that they make the extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    After over a week since seeing the thread, I thought I'd somehow avoided the dreaded increase letter but, yesterday morning I received it via email. The current set-up is a TIVO box, one HD box, 'Big Kahuna' Bundle, 200mb broadband and landline phone with free weekend calls at £79.48 per month. They were asking for an extra £3.49 per month but, after waiting for over thirty mins on their freephone 150 line, I finally managed to speak with an agent. He explained that the current increase is instead of the increase they were planning next Feb as it's been brought forward. However, he said that all packages had changed and that the package I'm on is now called the Full House Bundle and that if I go on that, I could have it for £74.50 per month for the next 18 months. So, I ended up saving nearly £5 per month in the end. The guy told me that so many people are angry about the increase, Virgin have had to draft in their staff until 10pm at weekends to help placate the angry mob.

Master
    Well what did they expect? To increase the cost and to have no-one bat an eyelid?

Master
    I had the same a couple of weeks ago on my BB- only just signed up for another year guess ill be canceling - im tempted by Voda ay £22 PM

This is what cheeses me off with all utilities, Virgin and Sky included.

I've had VM for about 9 years and it's an annual game - they put the price up, I ring up and threaten to cancel, we agree on a reduced price and carry on again.

This time, however, my monthly bill was rising to over £100 but the best they could offer was 6 months at £88, so I cancelled.

Thanks to a generous member on here, I have SkyQ ordered, full package for half the price.

No doubt in 12 months time the game will start again.