closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Union thread

Glasgow just smashed Racing 92 (again) but somehow failed to get the bonus point try. Very Impressive performance - esp. the first 65min

Master
    Definitely a game of 2 halves. First 40, they were awesome, second they seemed to lift off a bit. I just hope the lack of bonus point doesn't come back to haunt us.

I think last night was the first time that I've seen a visiting team to Dublin get thrashed and the crowd being content for them not not even get some kind of concessionary score at the end. The last few minutes were spent on the Leinster goal line and pretty much everybody was shouting a variation on "give them nothing" and I'll happily admit to sharing in the general lack of magnanimity. Northampton's general disinterest in being on the pitch seems to have a back story and I see there's now a suggestion that they may be investigated for fielding a deliberately weakened team.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38356283

It was annoying as Leinster actually played quite well and rugby is normally more enjoyable when both teams come out to play. Dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Clearly, they did think it was intentional.

Hence the charge and punishment.

You don't need to be an expert to understand that.

There is a difference between intentionally striking a player and striking a player.

However if it was was an intentional act they why was it only 6 weeks, especially given his previous?

Now i accept that DH he might be a bit of a marmite character, but unless you have proof that it was an intentional swing at the other player's head then it simply remains your opinion and nothing more.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Great result for the Tigers dispite the attention of the referee yesterday.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Connacht's winning try and conversion should never have happened as the referee got the rule wrong - the experimental law variation allowing line outs to be taken from a penalty after time has been called are not coming into effect in the northern hemisphere until 1st August 2017 - ref replacement was very much a lucky charm!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Connacht's winning try and conversion should never have happened as the referee got the rule wrong - the experimental law variation allowing line outs to be taken from a penalty after time has been called are not coming into effect in the northern hemisphere until 1st August 2017 - ref replacement was very much a lucky charm!
    They've released a statement confirming this but saying the result stands. Very happy with Tigers result yesterday!

^^^ Yeah, have just seen that. Glad the result stands, right decision. Wonder what would have happened if Garçes hadn't gone off injured 3 minutes earlier though, he may not have been swayed by Muldoon

aye, as a Wasps fan I'm fairly livid

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    There is a difference between intentionally striking a player and striking a player.

However if it was was an intentional act they why was it only 6 weeks, especially given his previous?

Now i accept that DH he might be a bit of a marmite character, but unless you have proof that it was an intentional swing at the other player's head then it simply remains your opinion and nothing more.
    Same as yours then?! :)

He got 6 weeks for holding his hands up to the charge, so end of discussion really. I like DH, and even more so for admitting when he's wrong.

Any chance you could take a leaf out of his book?! ;)
    Last edited by Tooks; 18th December 2016 at 20:42.

Master
    Great result for the Tigers dispite the attention of the referee yesterday.
    To be fair, he had a pretty bad game.

The Munster fans I spoke to generally felt that Tigers deserved the win, and said they'd have felt like they nicked it had the penalty not gone over.

Rarely have I enjoyed a game as much that had only one try in it.

A good turnaround considering the previous weeks result.

Things looking a bit dodgy at Racing 92 with Johan Goosen 'retiring'. Whilst I am extremely excited by the possible Altrad deal at Glaws, I really hope the story in Midi Olympique isn't true - that would put us in a particularly unsavoury situation I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Same as yours then?! :)

He got 6 weeks for holding his hands up to the charge, so end of discussion really. I like DH, and even more so for admitting when he's wrong.

Any chance you could take a leaf out of his book?! ;)
    If you go back to the previously posts was never said that he should not be punished, I was simply saying that in my opinion it did not look deliberate and suggested a 8 week ban rather than the life time ban some were indicating.

Anyway water under the bridge idle and I have 3 tickets to the Aviva Premier Cup Final hopefully Bath or Wasp Vs Saracens.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Please show me the post where someone suggested a lifetime ban ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Amazing performance by Wasps in a cracker of a game

Our backline!

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    Amazing performance by Wasps in a cracker of a game

Our backline!

Have to agree. Wades 2nd try was top draw. Not sure what happened to Bath 2nd half, however I image they are getting the "look after the ball" speech from their coaches.

I also saw a few more reasons why Roco was dropped by Eddie. Great talent, but still not quite technically good enough.

Friedrich Nietzsche

if he plays like that for the next 6 weeks or so I think Eddie may smile on him. It was noticeable he made some big tackles as well today

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Amazing the way Wade glides past players - he has been the best finisher in the Premier League since his first season IMO - even when wasps were poor he scored many. I think if you look at the current England wingers they are great a kick chase, something he will never excel at for obvious reasons. I just hope we can utilise this talent in the national side, can the Oracle Eddie fit him in :-)

Have to agree. Wades 2nd try was top draw. Not sure what happened to Bath 2nd half, however I image they are getting the "look after the ball" speech from their coaches.

I also saw a few more reasons why Roco was dropped by Eddie. Great talent, but still not quite technically good enough.

One of Eddie Jones's dilemmas is the surfeit of right-wingers. And the paucity of left-wingers. As far as the Number 14 shirt is concerned, Anthony Watson is almost fit again, I'm not sure how long Jack Nowell will be out for, and we have Christian Wade and Semesa Rokoduguni forming an orderly queue.

On the left? Well, Johnny May appears to be fit again, then there's........?

Other positions are also over-subscribed, while (for example) the injuries to the back row (Billy Vunipola in particular) created issues for Jones in the Autumn.

However. To go through the calendar year undefeated is a fantastic achievement, more so given the situation that England were in a year ago. The fact that we beat Australia four times during the year makes it even better. The fact that we didn't play New Zealand in 2016 will always leave a question mark, but English rugby has its pride restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    One of Eddie Jones's dilemmas is the surfeit of right-wingers. And the paucity of left-wingers. As far as the Number 14 shirt is concerned, Anthony Watson is almost fit again, I'm not sure how long Jack Nowell will be out for, and we have Christian Wade and Semesa Rokoduguni forming an orderly queue.

On the left? Well, Johnny May appears to be fit again, then there's........?

Other positions are also over-subscribed, while (for example) the injuries to the back row (Billy Vunipola in particular) created issues for Jones in the Autumn.

However. To go through the calendar year undefeated is a fantastic achievement, more so given the situation that England were in a year ago. The fact that we beat Australia four times during the year makes it even better. The fact that we didn't play New Zealand in 2016 will always leave a question mark, but English rugby has its pride restored.
    Dont forget Joesph. Nowell played last weekend, so hopefully mended, however it looks like Maco Vunipola might be out from the 6 nations.

One thing is certain, Eddie is somewhat blessed with talent at the moment.

Who do you fancy for the European Championship - my head says Saracens again, but my heart says Munster.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Dont forget Joesph. Nowell played last weekend, so hopefully mended, however it looks like Maco Vunipola might be out from the 6 nations.

One thing is certain, Eddie is somewhat blessed with talent at the moment.

Who do you fancy for the European Championship - my head says Saracens again, but my heart says Munster.
    There are a few Irish sides playing well at the moment, which makes the prospect of the Six Nations clash at the Aviva an interesting one. Munster have certainly been galvanised by the sad death of Anthony Foley, and could go all the way, whereas Saracens are now without the Vunipolas for a while. Nobody could begrudge Munster a big Championship.

So a 14man Bristol get their first win of the season against a poor Worcester.

Wonder if T'eo is regretting signing for Worcester?

So a 14man Bristol get their first win of the season against a poor Worcester.

Wonder if T'eo is regretting signing for Worcester?
    It was a good game. Varndell looked very impressive - back to back hatricks. Plus Bristol seems to have some pretty decent talent owing through.

still between then and Sale me thinks.

Friedrich Nietzsche

2 wins in a row for Bristol!
    Good win for Worcester as well (T'eo looked strong from the bits i saw)

Good feeling for us being top of the table!

oh, and I see the Leicester board have just fired Cockers

oh, and I see the Leicester board have just fired Cockers

A bit of a shame really. They were close to beating Saracens yesterday. A couple of missed kicks and poor decision making. However I have a feeling that all was not well in the coaching department and yesterday's results was the final nail.

Whats the betting they already have someone lined up. Lancaster perhaps or someone from down under.

I am still smarting from Exeters win at bath, but it was good to see Watson back.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    The rumour is that Lancaster is interested, a rumour just as strong as the folks in the Holland & Barrett stand yesterday were adamant that this was Cockerill's last game...

J P Doyle had another iffy game yesterday too, which didn't help the result.

That said, Tigers have been inconsistent this season, and that is always a problem for coaches. I also heard the rumours that he'd fallen out with a few of the board and some of the players.

The Wasps/Tigers game at the weekend was a cracker, even if Wasps nearly gave me a heartattack near the end

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and England injury problems continue in the run up to the 6N. Marler out now

Happy 24 hours in the 'Shire - Balmain, Rapava-Ruskin and Owen Williams all confirmed in for next season along with Fearns.

Happy 24 hours in the 'Shire - Balmain, Rapava-Ruskin and Owen Williams all confirmed in for next season along with Fearns.
    And Matt Kvesic going to Exeter - what's the story there? Wasn't he being touted for England about a year ago, but has barely played a game for Gloucester this season? injury? Clash of personalities?

^^^ It's a cloudy one for sure! Whispers of a fallout with Laurie Fisher, but general feeling is that since the breakdown laws changed that Matt hasn't been as effective as previously with turnovers (but has given away a lot of penalties) and as his carrying contribution is not at the level it could be, he's been sidelined for Rowan (who has had an excellent season so far). Move to a new club might just be the thing he needs to revitalise his career and England ambitions.

Shame though, as for 2 seasons he was the best out-and-out 7 in the Premiership/NH

As an aside the boy ended up in casualty last weekend with a suspected broken collar. Fortunately ok and today the sling is off, but no Rugby for him this weekend. Shame, but we might go along anyway

Friedrich Nietzsche

YES! Jesus Wasps, nearly gave me a heartattack!

YES! Jesus Wasps, nearly gave me a heartattack!

Great result for them especially after yesterday.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, what an utter shambles from Leicester

Master
    Agreed, absolutely grim.

And to think, I got my reminder to renew my season ticket today, not good timing! :)

Craftsman
    We're looking awful, with little hope of improvement.

LOL @ Leicester

Leicester falling apart. Glaws putting 10 trys past Bayonne so far...

Very strange, not sure we know all the facts but can presume it was two brothers, neither of whom were actually playing in the match, meeting for a coffee before the game. Tom has since been sacked by Sale... perhaps looking to improve their image after the Denny Solomona affair and their dreadful current run of results.

Journeyman
    Leicester

Possibly the worst performance of the season from Wasps today, but hey ho, we still got the five points and topped the group

Master
    I guess the good news is Glasgow have avoided Munster in the 1/4 finals. They seem to be our jinx team this season.

though getting Sarries instead! I've really enjoyed watching Glasgow this season. Shame you're going to be hammered in the Pro12 over the next 2 months by nearly all your first team playing for Scotland!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I guess the good news is Glasgow have avoided Munster in the 1/4 finals. They seem to be our jinx team this season.
    though getting Sarries instead! I've really enjoyed watching Glasgow this season. Shame you're going to be hammered in the Pro12 over the next 2 months by nearly all your first team playing for Scotland!
    Yeah, that's always a factor for Glasgow. The annoying this is, this is the most important part of the season too. It's a shame we rely so much on them.

I chuckled

More likely than "failing over in the shower"

Ouch all the same.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes Scotland! Good game, great start to the 6N!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I am concerned with out the Vunipola's and haskell how physical we will be in defence and how we fair in getting over the gain line. Fingers crossed.