timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Union thread

Craftsman
    Salary cap? What salary cap...

Eben Etzebeth: Saracens set to sign South Africa lock in November
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37614469

Well Glasgow fairly hammered Leicester (who to be fair, were awful).

How they even had 15 players on the pitch for most of the game is beyond me after this

http://sport.bt.com/should-toomua-ha...91364105526816

Master
    That tackle definitely deserved a red card and not a yellow. What made it worse for us Warriors fans was that it was Finn Russell, who had just returned from a serious head injury. The whole incident seemed to galvanise Glasgow and the rest was quite an unbelievable score fest.

Lots of dejected Leicester fans in the train back into Glasgow but it goes some way to make up for the drubbing we suffered against Northampton last year.
    Last edited by alanm_3; 15th October 2016 at 01:09.

Glasgow thoroughly deserved that win and agree that Tigers should've been playing with 14 after that tackle. We watched the tigers at home against Bath (34-14) and its like a different team played tonight.

Missed the game last night (was at Rugby training with my boy - Frome on Sunday😀), but it looks as if Glasgow either really stepped up or the Tigers were sleeping.

Saracen against Toulon should be a good one. I cannot remember the last time Toulon were beaten at home. Farrell is back

Quinn's had a great result which seems to have gone under the radar.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Saracens - one word.

Epic.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

^^^Yep, have to hand it to them - they are very good at what they do (Celery Cap or otherwise).

enjoyable Wasps game - though there is no way we should have conceded those two tries. And we should have scored 3 more tries.

Cipriani had a cracker today.

Missed the Sarries game, but hear it was great. The first half of Connacht vs Toulouse has been a great first half of free flowing rugby

^^^ It does make a bit of a mockery of the Pro 12 league and the "qualification" rules for the ECC, when one of the Italian teams is guaranteed to get in and off the back of that the pool with them in will almost certainly provide one of the 2 best runners up teams for the quarters. Whilst The Pests did look decent, it's entirely conceivable that a Championship team could give Zebre a run for their money.

I'm also not convinced that the move to 2 franchise teams and having them in the Celtic league has particularly helped the standard of Italian Rugby.
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 15th October 2016 at 18:45.

That Connacht game was brilliant. Well done Connacht!

Sad news that Munster coach and all around legend of the 8 shirt Anthony Foley has passed away over night in Paris. Paris 92 vs Munster will now be rearranged.

RIP Axel

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Sad news that Munster coach and all around legend of the 8 shirt Anthony Foley has passed away over night in Paris. Paris 92 vs Munster will now be rearranged.

RIP Axel

I just saw this on the BBC Sport website. Very sad indeed. Great player.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Shocking and very sad to hear about this earlier.

Some very emotional and heartfelt tributes from all parts of the rugby community before the Exeter game on Sky.

42 is no age at all. A sad loss.

RIP, a real loss

and the England injury problems continue - Itoje out.

Oh well, I wasn't too bothered about an unbeaten year anyway, honest.

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger;[URL="tel:4122609"
    4122609[/URL]]and the England injury problems continue - Itoje out.

Oh well, I wasn't too bothered about an unbeaten year anyway, honest.

I am, and itoje will be a huge lost. The one thing in Jones favour is the depth of talent available for him plus he has some players who seem to be coming back into form (mike brown for example).

I think NZ will be to strong, but we should win the rest and be very well placed for the 6 nations.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    England aren't playing the ABs, so a good chance of going through the November tests unbeaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaki Time;[URL="tel:4123203"
    4123203[/URL]]England aren't playing the ABs, so a good chance of going through the November tests unbeaten.

Really? I am amazed to be honest. Very unusual, but good news just South Africa to beat then!

Friedrich Nietzsche

and Lawes out now!

On a separate note, this made me laugh

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...rugby-12096305

Sorry to harp on about referees, but here's a ref that got two yellows wrong for one player in the same match:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-...-out-1-4276729

Unfortunately, typical of most of the Irish refs in the PRO12 when Glasgow are involved...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Sorry to harp on about referees, but here's a ref that got two yellows wrong for one player in the same match:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-...-out-1-4276729

Unfortunately, typical of most of the Irish refs in the PRO12 when Glasgow are involved...

As my son is reminded each time he plays "without the referees there would be no game",but if you want to see really bad refereeing get yourself along to an under 15's game near you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Argentina/Japan game had some great tries in it

https://youtu.be/9KLIZHJyhJc

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    Wales. LOL.

It was not great was it and not a great start for Rob Howley either.

Looks as if Gatland did a Sir Alex F and left just at the right time.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah.

They were quite pathetic..

The Argies next week.

Japan the week after,

Then finish off with the Springboks...

Interesting!!! Only consolation is....surely they cant play any worse..........or can they!!

Gatland hasnt "left" as such...hes taking time off to manage the Lions.

As a complete contrast, I'm currently watching the Ireland/All Blacks game. Only 25min in so far, but what a game

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Yeah.

Gatland hasnt "left" as such...hes taking time off to manage the Lions.
    oh, back in the day, they used to do both.

Next question will be whether or not he returns.
    Last edited by Andyg; 5th November 2016 at 22:29.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Well done Ireland.

Great game. Father and Mrs both very happy.

I'd have preferred a Welsh win but they were mostly useless

That was amazing (and I'm an England fan)! What a superb Irish performance! What a game! I was shouting in excitement when they got their final try!

Wales need new ideas.

Gatland is one thing but Howley probably taking charge full time after him fills me with dread

Craftsman
    England fan, but was cheering for Ireland, well done, great game

Have never seen a Sean Edwards defence full of so many holes!

All credit to Ireland though, didn't get to see it, but what an effort from them.
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 6th November 2016 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    England fan, but was cheering for Ireland, well done, great game

^^^^^^^This!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Great highlights of tries from the weekend

https://youtu.be/XenoVNKsSzE

I wasn't expecting that. South Africa looked rather pedestrian, and England cashed in. That was a much better performance that I was expecting from an injury-ravaged England team. Undefeated in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I wasn't expecting that. South Africa looked rather pedestrian, and England cashed in. That was a much better performance that I was expecting from an injury-ravaged England team. Undefeated in 2016?
    That was a good game.

England played well. Surprised at the Boks...Hmn maybe Wales will have a chance against them in a fortnights time then?

If they play like they did today, we "should" beat them!!

Got the Argies in a bit, then Japan next week to contend with first though!

The fact the the SB looked pedestrian was in part due the mobility of the English players, fitness levels and intensity. Watching the SB sort of reminded me what it was like watch England 10 years ago relying on bulk and the set piece, but lacked real pace in the forwards and Half backs.

What Eddie has created now is a team capable of competing against the likes of the AB consistently. All hail the mighty Eddie.

I am still not convinced Laws though, but I most say I though Young had a blinder. Rare praise from me.

Great to see Jonny May playing again.

I would give them a very solid 8 out of 10.

As for the ref - in need of a trip to spec savers or to check out the rules on forward passes.
    Last edited by Andyg; 12th November 2016 at 18:56.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Agree, I am not a youngs fan but he had a blinder today. Lots of good performance, but we are still static at time i.e the few mins before half-time - where there were a load of forwards in the line that are static and no idea where to go. Bily V and his brother were immense. I think if you took him out the side we would of been no where near as potent - he got over the gain line time and time again, he is a true freak that now dominates games.

Yeah and Eddie is a legend, would not swap him for anyone, he has brought precision, intelligence and we are starting to see more flair to Englands play.

yep, another one here adding to the praise for Ben Youngs.

As a Wasps fan I was pleased with Daly's first start

Master
    It was an enjoyable game - though (as ever) I was worried for the first 20 minutes, and the way that they were giving away penalties.

Craftsman
    Did anyone else notice Billy playing as a second full back every time England lost the ball?
    He did a great job to be fair.

At times today England didn't look terribly convincing. Mostly when there was a queue of massive Fijians rumbling towards our line.

Most of the time, though, we looked very convincing. 58 - 15 is a satisfactory scoreline, but I must admit that after the first 30 minutes I was hoping for 100!

Sometimes I almost wish I wasn't Welsh. Or didn't care about rugby.

Cuthbert is appalling

At times today England didn't look terribly convincing. Mostly when there was a queue of massive Fijians rumbling towards our line.

Most of the time, though, we looked very convincing. 58 - 15 is a satisfactory scoreline, but I must admit that after the first 30 minutes I was hoping for 100!

I must agree, however at times it looks like England are in 2nd3/rd gear.

It will be interesting to see how England do against the Australians - can't see the Puma's being a problem. But England are starting to look the real deal.

Very pleased to see Roco in the squad and doing the business - my son plays with his Nephew (scum half) - good player. I hope he keeps his place. Young and Ford were excellent again today, but someone needs to tell Farrell he must go lower.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

Cuthbert is appalling

Just remember its cyclic - give it another 10 years and you will be top of the tree again

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I must agree, however at times it looks like England are in 2nd3/rd gear.

It will be interesting to see how England do against the Australians - can't see the Puma's being a problem. But England are starting to look the real deal.

Very pleased to see Roco in the squad and doing the business - my son plays with his Nephew (scum half) - good player. I hope he keeps his place. Young and Ford were excellent again today, but someone needs to tell Farrell he must go lower.
    We'll be ok against the Argentinians. As long as nobody mentions the Falklands. Or Jeremy Clarkson.

Master

Cool

It was a very close run thing for the Scots

Finally an 80 minute performance from Glaws and a brilliant win over the Pests :D

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

Cuthbert is appalling
    Im Welsh too...

I could have told you that Cuthbert was appalling a long long time ago though!!

In fairness I didnt see the game yesterday (just the last 5 minutes.........what! 30-30!) but he hasnt loooked good........ for..............................

................lol!