closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Union thread

I was multi-tasking, and missed the try against Quins. I did think, however, that Welford Road was looking a bit crap. Must pay more attention.

Master
    Just got back from the Saints vs Sarries game. Sarries played well but Saints were very poor indeed. A non-contest really

Master
    The way that Wasps are playing now, I think I may have to start following football.

There again, maybe not.

Sarries looking good.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Poor old George North, I think he should retire before his body and head is wrecked any further.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Poor old George North, I think he should retire before his body and head is wrecked any further.

They were here talking about the physical effects Rugby is having on players today on R5 before the game.

Garyson though that have 7-8 subs actually made the situation worse, when you have impact power player coming on against a guy who has already played 60 minutes and is blowing out of both ends.

I think he has a point.

as an aside my son played in an U16 match, where one of his team was a victim of gouging (both eyes). You could make this shit up!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Totally agree about the too many subs, when I played half the battle was wearing down your opposite number.
    It completely changes the game when a freh guy can just be brought on despite nobody being injured.

Master
    I see the new Welsh 60 caps rules will prevent Rhys Webb from playing for Wales when he joins Toulon. 60 caps is a lot to get for a new player so the WRU are pretty much still locking players into staying in Wales for a long part of their career. They'll be knackered out by the time they could move outside for bug bucks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I see the new Welsh 60 caps rules will prevent Rhys Webb from playing for Wales when he joins Toulon. 60 caps is a lot to get for a new player so the WRU are pretty much still locking players into staying in Wales for a long part of their career. They'll be knackered out by the time they could move outside for bug bucks.
    I think it is a really stupid policy, the welsh management might as well just shoot themselves in the foot.
    The best Welsh players are going to move where the best leagues are and the pay to match - so France, England and Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I think it is a really stupid policy, the welsh management might as well just shoot themselves in the foot.
    The best Welsh players are going to move where the best leagues are and the pay to match - so France, England and Ireland.

I agree, however at the end of the day it's the player's choice - club or country. Perhaps the idea is that players will only play abroad once they a shagged out or have earned the right.

I am amazed its legal to be honest.

Friedrich Nietzsche

There is no need for it to be legal, as no player is entitled to a selection. If the WRU decides it won’t select players who do not meet certain criteria that is their privilege...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Warren Gatland - ENOUGH !
    Probably the most charmless and witless person there has been for years.
    Go away, retire stop your girly bleating and moaning.

You chose to select several Welsh players for the Lions over better Irish and English players.
    Some of your selections were downright one eyed and embarrassing.
    You devalued the jersey.

What a result for Chiefs today. The best players lost to the best team.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    What a result for Chiefs today. The best players lost to the best team.

Great result, which I called this morning at 10.30 talking to the other rugby dad's. I think Exeter have a good chance this season for 3 reasons

1) massive home support - their fans are wonderful

2) not many international players so less risk of injury/burn out as a result of the international and 6 nations call-ups.

3) rugby is a team game and they play as team used to winning.

A real challenge to scarries this season.

Wasps v Quinn's very close to call, but Wasps need it really badly otherwise their season is pretty much done.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Very surprised with the Saracens v Ospreys result.
    I thought it would be a murder with Saracens by 20 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Great result, which I called this morning at 10.30 talking to the other rugby dad's. I think Exeter have a good chance this season for 3 reasons

1) massive home support - their fans are wonderful

2) not many international players so less risk of injury/burn out as a result of the international and 6 nations call-ups.

3) rugby is a team game and they play as team used to winning.

A real challenge to scarries this season.

Wasps v Quinn's very close to call, but Wasps need it really badly otherwise their season is pretty much done.
    It's incredible that Nadolo was sacked by Chiefs for drink driving. He appears to have got his act together now.

An "efficient " performance by England today, but nothing to get to excited about either as we seemed to kick the ball away to much. We missed itoje especially in the line outs and at the break down. Watson will replace Brown and it will be interesting to see what happens to Slade when Farrell gets selected. Underhill was very impressive.

Good job Eddie knows what he is doing, but he needs to find an alternative at scrumhalf, in my opinion.

Friedrich Nietzsche

An "efficient " performance by England today, but nothing to get to excited about either as we seemed to kick the ball away to much. We missed itoje especially in the line outs and at the break down. Watson will replace Brown and it will be interesting to see what happens to Slade when Farrell gets selected. Underhill was very impressive.

Good job Eddie knows what he is doing, but he needs to find an alternative at scrumhalf, in my opinion.
    It was very poor and they'll need to up their game significantly next week. I'm watching the Wales v Australia game which has been far more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    It was very poor and they'll need to up their game significantly next week. I'm watching the Wales v Australia game which has been far more entertaining.

Agreed, but I think England will blow the Aussies away. The banana skin game will be Samoa.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Underhill had a good game, as did all the back row.
    Slade was poor
    I think Ford proved he is the best distributor of the ball we have at 10. His miss pass to Hughes was great.
    They got the result but they will need to improve for next week.
    SA were shockingly bad against Ireland. Not what you would expect of the Springboks at all.

Agreed, but I think England will blow the Aussies away. The banana skin game will be Samoa.
    Just slip Samoa a bag of used notes. Job done.

England were turgid against Argentina. The two tries were well worked, long passes being about the only way through a very solid and committed defence, although I was convinced that the pass to Rokoduguni was forward, and Lozowski's run was one of the very few high points. England really looked like a side which hadn't played together for a long time, and there are many teams which would have beaten us yesterday. Things livened up when Care and Lozowski came on, predictably.

Ireland, on the other hand, were very impressive indeed. That was a thorough demolition job on a very good side.

Anyone interested in the Autumn internationals, freeview channel 95 'freesports' have been showing them. Last night was France V New Zealand. Currently showing Italy V Fuji. Found the channel by chance yesterday.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Agree with AndyG regarding scrum half, young played better but not up to the level of other top nations IMO. Care comes on and kicks and makes all of 10 yards twice, handing pumas the ball for last 15 mins. His kick is poor, should of let Ford or Get Slade in kicking position.

Midfield not getting ball to hit outside channel, wingers shovelled rubbish. But, I am big fan of Eddie Jones, he will sort it he knows what he has to do. Agree with him playing Slade at 12, in international rugby he will not make it at 13 - not quick enough, not enough step, he is a 10 really . (I am a fan but he has not x factor at International level).

Yet again best handling skills shown by one of our props. I think George has to replace Hartley and Watson at 15, not sure about Daly on wing, he is great at 13 or 15 IMO.

Interested to see how it goes against Aussies, our biggest miss is Billy - he gets us out of jams. Otje coming back will shore up the break down.

Was a fairly pedestrian performance from England, but first game back together for the full squad it's understandable. Slade looked to be trying too hard. Underhill tackles, a lot (although not as often as the commentators would have you believe - at one point he must have grown a beard between tackles if you were to believe Stewart Barnes), but I'm not sure he offers more than Haskell or Robson at this point. Hughes had his best game for England for me and the pack looked pretty strong.

Agree re: scrum half - maybe time for Dan Robson to be given a good shot at it, but expect Youngs and Care to still the choice pair for a while yet. Loz looked good when he came on.

Going forward I still think EJ want's Te'o/Manu in there somewhere, so he could go Ford, Faz, Te'o/Manu or he could go Ford/Faz, Te'o/Manu, Slade - that way he still has a second distributor. I think Fav's pass has improved enough that he could replace Ford at 10. I'd like to see Daly at 15 for the Aussie test with Roko and Watson on the wings. Midfield defence is going to have to be on point because those Aussie centres are units!

Jesus that Welsh game was awful.

Cynical at the end too

Great result for England today. It's even more enjoyable when decisions go against Australia.

Called it But what an amazing finish.

To be honest England were lucky, but to quote someone, who cares

Friedrich Nietzsche

On a more important note, what a phenomenal performance from Glaws last night to beat Sarries - stunning defence in the first half and some great attacking play in the second. Heroes to a man!

Quote Originally Posted by cypermethrin View Post

Normally I would agree, but this time it just made me laugh.

I think Cheika needs to watch the replay again.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Another weekend of watching the final Rugby tests before the 6 nations so thought I would have a go at predicting the outcome.

Scotland vs Australia - the Aussies by 7.
    England Vs Samoa - England by lots.
    Wales Vs Nz - NZ by 10+
    Ireland vs Argentina - Ireland by 10+
    france Vs Japan - France by 5+

Rudgy League - England to win their semi-final

F1 - Lewis to take out SV and for Kimi to Win, allowing Bottas to get second place in the driver's championship (wishful thinking) Lewis for the win.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Smile

Another weekend of watching the final Rugby tests before the 6 nations so thought I would have a go at predicting the outcome.

England Vs Samoa - England by lots.
    Wales Vs Nz - NZ by 10+
    Ireland vs Argentina - Ireland by 10+
    france Vs Japan - France by 5+

Rudgy League - England to win their semi-final

F1 - Lewis to take out SV and for Kimi to Win, allowing Bottas to get second place in the driver's championship (wishful thinking) Lewis for the win.
    Andy G
    I know you like your predictions so lets have one for the Scotland v England Calcutta cup match on the 24th Feb 2018
    I'll wager £50 against your £50 on a Scotland win.-the £50 to the fundraiser.
    You're a man of means going by your watches so the amount should be acceptable.
    Is it a bet?
    A draw and both of us pay in.

Master

Result - Scots by a record!

Another superb performance - I doubt a single Scot in Murrayfield would have predicted that. Good result for Japan too - could have gone either way, but good result for them.

Master
    Much more enjoyable match against the Aussies yesterday than the All Blacks last week and not just because of the result. Townsend definitely seeme to have found a way of playing that can produce scintillating rugby.
    Can’t wait for the 6 nations next year.

Scotland were amazing even if it was against 14. Too often in the past we lacked the cutting edge to put a team away when a man up. Coach is doing good things building on what prev one did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    If Wales could finish they could have been out of sight in tbe first half!

Scotland looking fantastic and after last weeks performance shows this was no flash in the pan

What a result for Exeter! They now have a 5 point lead on Sarries too.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 26th November 2017 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Andy G
    I know you like your predictions so lets have one for the Scotland v England Calcutta cup match on the 24th Feb 2018
    I'll wager £50 against your £50 on a Scotland win.-the £50 to the fundraiser.
    You're a man of means going by your watches so the amount should be acceptable.
    Is it a bet?
    A draw and both of us pay in.

Scotland were well worth their win, especially with Hogg (world class) missing out. However just a couple of points to note.

Australia were poor, really really poor. I expected some push back following England's rather fortunate win last week, but they had nothing. A situation made worse playing with 14 men for 50 minutes and 13 for 8 minutes. They say that a yellow card is worth on average 7 points - so that equates to 35 conceded (excluding the Beale sin bin).

Its also worth noting that all the Southern Hemisphere teams were playing to rules that had not yet been introduced down under yet. In fact will not be introduced until 1st Jan.

Finally many of the team who beat NZ are few weeks ago were missing, those who did play looked as if they were already on the plane travelling home. That said Scotland did well and at the end of they day put the Aussies away.

Now in respect to my predictions, please note I have not made any for the 6 nations yet! However looking at the fixtures, England at home to Ireland and Wales, and away to Italy, France and Scotland, I think England will win it again. The hardest fixture will be Scotland at Murryfield without doubt. But as Eddie/England have shown, they have the ability to win - ugly if necessary, so providing we have a full strength squad should win, partly be virtue of a better bench of finishers. Scotland/Ireland will occupy the runner up spots.

Am i convinced? No, but I will take your the bet all the same.

As an an aside I watched my son play Devizes today and win 27 - 15 - much more satisfying than the 6 nations to be honest.
    Last edited by Andyg; 26th November 2017 at 21:13.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Scotland were well worth their win, especially with Hogg (world class) missing out. However just a couple of points to note.

Australia were poor, really really poor. I expected some push back following England's rather fortunate win last week, but they had nothing. A situation made worse playing with 14 men for 50 minutes and 13 for 8 minutes. They say that a yellow card is worth on average 7 points - so that equates to 35 conceded (excluding the Beale sin bin).

Its also worth noting that all the Southern Hemisphere teams were playing to rules that had not yet been introduced down under yet. In fact will not be introduced until 1st Jan.

Finally many of the team who beat NZ are few weeks ago were missing, those who did play looked as if they were already on the plane travelling home. That said Scotland did well and at the end of they day put the Aussies away.

Now in respect to my predictions, please note I have not made any for the 6 nations yet! However looking at the fixtures, England at home to Ireland and Wales, and away to Italy, France and Scotland, I think England will win it again. The hardest fixture will be Scotland at Murryfield without doubt. But as Eddie/England have shown, they have the ability to win - ugly if necessary, so providing we have a full strength squad should win, partly be virtue of a better bench of finishers. Scotland/Ireland will occupy the runner up spots.

Am i convinced? No, but I will take your the bet all the same.

As an an aside I watched my son play Devizes today and win 27 - 15 - much more satisfying than the 6 nations to be honest.
    Should be a cracker and hopefully Scotland can keep 15 on the park this time

Just ordered my tickets again the Aviva Prem Cup Final. It was a cracker last year, so hopefully will be again.

Exeter Vs Sarries hopefully, although Bath Vs Exeter (almost a local Derby) could be quite spicy.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Where's Ash? He's probably not got over the shock of seeing Gloucester second in the Premiership! Which is what happens when you're clever enough to have a side full of players who aren't quite of International standard, so you can continue to play your First team when every team above you is shorn of their best players for several weeks of Autumn Internationals or Six Nations duty.

That was quite a result for Quins yesterday, and Danny Care is producing more magic than Harry Potter at the moment. Not content with engineering a last quarter thumping of Australia, he turned a rather turgid game against Sarries with some inspired kicks, which meant that the current European champions have now lost four games in succession in the Premiership. And yesterday both sides were (almost) back to full strength, having suffered more than most during the Autumn Internationals.

Quins did Chiefs a real favour yesterday and they're opening a nice gap at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Where's Ash? He's probably not got over the shock of seeing Gloucester second in the Premiership! Which is what happens when you're clever enough to have a side full of players who aren't quite of International standard, so you can continue to play your First team when every team above you is shorn of their best players for several weeks of Autumn Internationals or Six Nations duty.

That was quite a result for Quins yesterday, and Danny Care is producing more magic than Harry Potter at the moment. Not content with engineering a last quarter thumping of Australia, he turned a rather turgid game against Sarries with some inspired kicks, which meant that the current European champions have now lost four games in succession in the Premiership. And yesterday both sides were (almost) back to full strength, having suffered more than most during the Autumn Internationals.
    Oh he's here, just basking in the relative glory (for as long as it may last anyway!). To be fair if you saw the 15 we couldn't put out over the last few weeks because of injury you'd think we had been playing a largely second choice team - I don't think any of us expected to see a "first choice" back row of Polledri, Ackerman and Ludlow, but they've been immense and we're missing what would likely be the first choice back 3 in Sharples, Marshall and Woodward, but how amazing has Hudson been - a guy who retired not long ago due to significant nerve issues in his legs.

I suspect that we may see a few Saxons call ups in the not too distant future at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Oh he's here, just basking in the relative glory (for as long as it may last anyway!). To be fair if you saw the 15 we couldn't put out over the last few weeks because of injury you'd think we had been playing a largely second choice team - I don't think any of us expected to see a "first choice" back row of Polledri, Ackerman and Ludlow, but they've been immense and we're missing what would likely be the first choice back 3 in Sharples, Marshall and Woodward, but how amazing has Hudson been - a guy who retired not long ago due to significant nerve issues in his legs.

I suspect that we may see a few Saxons call ups in the not too distant future at the very least.

Fair enough. Enjoy it while it lasts!

The first home defeat for Chiefs in almost exactly a year. They were out-Chiefed today

If anybody's interested, Saracens are playing Clermont Auvergne at the moment, the match rescheduled from Saturday after it was snowed off.

More correctly, Saracens are currently having their backsides handed to them by Clermont Auvergne at the moment...

Craftsman
    First time a French team have travelled like this in a while. It's not like Sarries are short of anyone bar Itoje and Billy.

Clermont were not happy chappies about they way this rescheduling played out - looks like they played with a point to make

Clermont and La Rochelle did rather good this (extended) weekend.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    If anybody's interested, Saracens are playing Clermont Auvergne at the moment, the match rescheduled from Saturday after it was snowed off.

More correctly, Saracens are currently having their backsides handed to them by Clermont Auvergne at the moment...
    I missed the new time. Shame, I could have got there. Only went to Sarries once last season, sadly that was to see them beat Wasps.